PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful Clicking Links !

Cheap Thrills
10-12-2007, 04:37 AM
Though I'm not one to complain about computer issues I would like to advise everybody to be careful clicking links posted here.
I have a very short list of websites I frequent and seldom ever stray from my surfing habits.
***boat, Fleybay, YouTube, MSN & Yahoo Webmail, occasionally ISL and RD's place and basically that's it.
But shortly after clicking a video link here my machine gets Hosed up with the Downloader Trojan and the Trojan.Vundo. Both are a pain in the ass and will hose your machine up good. I believe the site they originated from was Break.com but can't be 100% sure on that and is one of a few oddballs (according to my reg. sites) that I have seen lately from following posted links here.
This Is Just A Heads Up!
I'm not blaming anybody for getting Jacked up.It's not a problem for me (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162242&highlight=Running+Windooze) Fortunately I didn't have to reclone my disk but it was looking grim for a while and took me a couple of hours to straighten out.
So if you're getting some unexpected popups and your machine has been acting sluggish in the past few days. Chances are you clicked the same thing I did.
Peace Baby
T.

topless
10-12-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm afraid to click your link.:eek:

Baja Big Dog
10-12-2007, 07:50 AM
I knew I should have called you, yes, my fricken maching went into shits ville a couple days ago, the cuz spent a couple of hours cleanng it up, spy shredder found a few hundred trojans......:mad:

Tom Brown
10-12-2007, 11:06 AM
That's odd. No trojans here and I click anything and everything.

RiverToysJas
10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I used to get Trojans all the time. Haven't gotten any since I got fixed though.
RTJas :D

HokeySon
10-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Though I'm not one to complain about computer issues I would like to advise everybody to be careful clicking links posted here.
I have a very short list of websites I frequent and seldom ever stray from my surfing habits.
***boat, Fleybay, YouTube, MSN & Yahoo Webmail, occasionally ISL and RD's place and basically that's it.
But shortly after clicking a video link here my machine gets Hosed up with the Downloader Trojan and the Trojan.Vundo. Both are a pain in the ass and will hose your machine up good. I believe the site they originated from was Break.com but can't be 100% sure on that and is one of a few oddballs (according to my reg. sites) that I have seen lately from following posted links here.
This Is Just A Heads Up!
I'm not blaming anybody for getting Jacked up.It's not a problem for me (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162242&highlight=Running+Windooze) Fortunately I didn't have to reclone my disk but it was looking grim for a while and took me a couple of hours to straighten out.
So if you're getting some unexpected popups and your machine has been acting sluggish in the past few days. Chances are you clicked the same thing I did.
Peace Baby
T.
I have got a good easy vundo fix if you need it.
But I think I picked up something else. I started using firefox a couple of weeks ago, then a few days ago IE just started to either not work or work exceedingly slowly. Spent a few hours trying to fix it but still cannot figure out the problem. I think I will have to take it somewhere -- unless somone here knows the secret.

BigBlockBaja
10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
You can avoid all of the virus BS by coming to the dark side. (http://www.ubuntu.com/).
Its very easy once ya get the hang of it.

OverKill
10-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I have got a good easy vundo fix if you need it.
But I think I picked up something else. I started using firefox a couple of weeks ago, then a few days ago IE just started to either not work or work exceedingly slowly. Spent a few hours trying to fix it but still cannot figure out the problem. I think I will have to take it somewhere -- unless somone here knows the secret.
I used FireFox for a couple of weeks. It worked great then everything started to get real slow. So I ditched FireFox and now everything is good.
I clicked on LiveLeak the other day and got all sorts of problems. It was the link to ( Reminds me of site 6). IMO just don't click on that link and you should be fine.
OverKill

Cheap Thrills
10-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm afraid to click your link.:eek:
It was /is safe and just redirects you to another thread here on HB. ;)
That's odd. No trojans here and I click anything and everything.
*Nix ;) Wheres your sense of adventure Tom ?
C'mon , surf the Wind,,,,,, OOOOZE :D
You can avoid all of the virus BS by coming to the dark side. (http://www.ubuntu.com/).
Its very easy once ya get the hang of it.
Yes I am an advocate of *Nix systems too but I do run a Windooze machine too. I just happen to be on it at the time of viri attack. Either way it really wasn't that much of a problem for me but to some of the people that frequent our lovely HB community it might pose a problem.
I wasn't blaming anybody for it
besides myself for surfing a Windooze machine.
I just wanted to aleart the others that there was a bad link posted.
It's not the first time and I'm sure it wont be the last a buggy link has been posted here.
Have A Great Evening Everybody!
T<-------Going back to his Mandriva machine

BigBlockBaja
10-12-2007, 03:08 PM
T<-------Going back to his Mandriva machine
I'm running Mepis here on my laptop. For a beginner like myself, I would recommend anyone that wants to try Linux give Ubuntu or Mepis a try.
The only thing I think people wouldn't like about linux is that they have to learn a whole new operating system, but from what I have learned, most new distros are very easy to setup.

Cheap Thrills
10-12-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm running Mepis here on my laptop. For a beginner like myself, I would recommend anyone that wants to try Linux give Ubuntu or Mepis a try.
The only thing I think people wouldn't like about linux is that they have to learn a whole new operating system, but from what I have learned, most new distros are very easy to setup.
I agree the new Linux compilations are not much different to install than Windooze systems. Most are quite easy in that respect. The learning curve isn't that bad either and most distributions have a ton of software included that will do anything you would want a OS to do. So you don't have to go out and buy a load of specific software. Hooray for open source.
If you're in search of a different flavor Mandriva (Formerly Mandrake) is a great verson also. with a nice GUI interface during installation. Great desktop appearance and navigates through programs very much like Windows.
The only drawback I think people will notice at first with any *Nix platform is the installation of programs which can be tricky at first and if they are gamers it may leave a little to be desired in that aspect. But overall there's nothing that can compare to the solid foundation of a Linux box.
One thing is for sure, you don't have to worry about getting hit with the malware, viruses and Trojans that are written to target Microsoft Systems.
I just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time yet again surfing a Windooze machine. And knowing better.
Safe to click Mandriva Link (http://www.mandriva.com/) :rollside:
Peace !
T.

phebus
10-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Half the posts on here link to something. We're all doomed..........:skull:

Cheap Thrills
10-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Half the posts on here link to something. We're all doomed..........:skull:
True that !
I am starting to hover over the links and see if I recognize the URL much like I did during the Rick Roll dealo..... :D
T.