PDA

View Full Version : New performance boat dealership

Mattman
10-12-2007, 09:11 AM
What does it take to be able to start up a new dealership for a large performance boat manufacturer? Money is not an issue and the people involved have been around boating for a long time and have run large operations before (yes, they do realize there is more to it than this). The people involved will be transplanting from southern california to Lake Norman North Carolina. Just curious what types of steps need to be taken to get the ball rolling and what you would do.

OCMerrill
10-12-2007, 09:48 AM
What do you mean by Money is not an issue?

rlj676
10-12-2007, 09:52 AM
You'd need to be prepared to lose everything invested. That appears to be the most likely scenerio in the boat industry it sounds like.

Mattman
10-12-2007, 09:52 AM
The financial backing is there to get things started.

DeltaSigBoater
10-12-2007, 09:56 AM
What does it take to be able to start up a new dealership for a large performance boat manufacturer? Money is not an issue and the people involved have been around boating for a long time and have run large operations before (yes, they do realize there is more to it than this). The people involved will be transplanting from southern california to Lake Norman North Carolina. Just curious what types of steps need to be taken to get the ball rolling and what you would do.
Well if money is not an issue that you just overcame your 1st obstacle.
Setup a business according to local, state, and federal laws.
Apply for financing aka flooring through, one of the major finance companies, GE Capital, Bank of America, etc.
Before the manufacture says yes, find a place of business to accommodate a boat dealership. Closer to the water the better! Do not sign a lease until you have the dealer agreement signed.
Find a manufacture that is not currently represented in that market place. Then talk to them about becoming a dealer.
If all else fails buy somebody else out!

OCMerrill
10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Do you have the Large Boat Performance manufacturer on board already?
I would say this is the pace to start.
Also...
Business plan...form one up. There are companies that can develop one using all the input from the folks you have to tap from.
You also need some finance companies on board also.
I would do this before I rented a building and moved a bunch of folks but I am a small business owner with 1/2 dozen employees. What your talking here I could never handle.
It truly does take very patient, special breed of peeps to launch something like that. There will be very little if no instant gratification.

OCMerrill
10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
I like this idea.

Mattman
10-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Setup a business according to local, state, and federal laws.
Apply for financing aka flooring through, one of the major finance companies, GE Capital, Bank of America, etc.
Before the manufacture says yes, find a place of business to accommodate a boat dealership. Closer to the water the better! Do not sign a lease until you have the dealer agreement signed.
Find a manufacture that is not currently represented in that market place. Then talk to them about becoming a dealer.
Next question would be how do you approach a dealer to let them know you want to sell their boats? Let's say you have owned several boats of a particular dealer or dealers and love their products and know a ton about them. I assume this can come into play?

DeltaSigBoater
10-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Next question would be how do you approach a dealer to let them know you want to sell their boats? Let's say you have owned several boats of a particular dealer or dealers and love their products and know a ton about them. I assume this can come into play?
A dealer and manufacture are 2 different things. Dealers sell the boats that a manufacture builds.
Loving a manufacture’s product, and having product knowledge shows brand loyalty, it doesn’t really show enough commitment to have the manufacture grant you a dealer agreement.
If you want to become a dealer of a particular manufacture, then contact said manufacture, asked to speak with the person in charge of their dealer network. Get their all their info that you can, email, direct line, cell phone, etc.
Before you setup anything make sure you’ve done your homework, mission statement of business, business plan, resumes & financial statements of all parties involved, procurement of pending dealer location, business license, flooring, market research, product knowledge, have answers to possible questions that they will ask, and the like.
If you feel that this is a viable business then ASAP set up a meeting with the manufacture at there facility. Manufactures get 100’s of dealer inquiries a year, you have to make them realize that you are not some jerkoff the street who just wants to play around in boats.
If you feel comfortable PM me the name of the manufacture that you are interested in, right now it’s kind of vague.

BadKachina
10-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, and if you really feel comfortable pm your soc. and all your bank account info and I'll let you know if money will be an issue.;) :D
Oh and don't forget your dob., and mothers maiden name.:)

DeltaSigBoater
10-12-2007, 03:46 PM
That's funniest thing I've read all day long->thanks for the chuckle DSB.:D LMFAO!
Rio
Yeah, and if you really feel comfortable pm your soc. and all your bank account info and I'll let you know if money will be an issue.;) :D
Oh and don't forget your dob., and mothers maiden name.:)
Sorry guys, I hadnt had my second pot of coffee at that point :D

Froggystyle
10-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I would say that if you have the clients interest at heart, you meet 90% of the needs I have for a new dealer...
Let me know if you are interested... we are going mobile! I am in Tennessee in fact as we speak getting a new dealer spooled up.
Wes

Mattman
10-12-2007, 10:06 PM
DSB, Froggy, and ECM I will PM you tomorrow with more info.

Cigalert
10-13-2007, 03:53 AM
Excuse me sir, might you be a gentlemen and contact me regarding this thread or are you too busy for the little guys because scarfing down your omlette overlooking the teebox? Yeah I know we should have come out. Mom-in-law chapped my nuts as soon as she walked into the door. Brutal.
Which company were thinking of? The one that made your 21', 22', 27', 32' or 28'?

Liquid Courage
10-13-2007, 07:02 AM
First step, move to the east coast (Fl/LOTO/NY/Etc).
West coast sales operate differently than east coast. most west coast sales sell right out of the factory. East coast manufacturers use a dealer network. Problem with trying to start a performance boat sales bus. is A) the factory will always undercut you (no matter what they promise!!) B) The percentage of performance buyers in general is low across the board but even more so on the west coast.
You will loose your azz. Gauranteed.
Other than that, good luck.

adjones419
10-13-2007, 07:42 AM
First step, move to the east coast (Fl/LOTO/NY/Etc).
Lake of the Ozarks is on the east coast? Hmm...that's news to me! :idea:
I have a friend/sponsor right outside of St. Louis who is a dealer for Nordic and Eliminator. I could talk to him a bit and pass on some more information to you on how he got started.

Liquid Courage
10-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Lake of the Ozarks is on the east coast? Hmm...that's news to me! :idea:
I have a friend/sponsor right outside of St. Louis who is a dealer for Nordic and Eliminator. I could talk to him a bit and pass on some more information to you on how he got started.
I threw it in there because the dealer network works well there.

Mattman
10-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Excuse me sir, might you be a gentlemen and contact me regarding this thread or are you too busy for the little guys because scarfing down your omlette overlooking the teebox? Yeah I know we should have come out. Mom-in-law chapped my nuts as soon as she walked into the door. Brutal.
Which company were thinking of? The one that made your 21', 22', 27', 32' or 28'?
The PMs I have been getting are great not to mention the good info. everybody has been chiming in with. Now it's a matter of contacting everyone who expressed interest and explaining the "vision". If it were up to me you know where my loyalty stands with what manufacturer(s) but there are also some others that would be great too. And yes, as of right now we just finished breakfast overlooking the 5th hole!!! I think in an hour or so we will head to the pool/waterslide and I'll fire up a Cohiba!

Cigalert
10-13-2007, 08:54 AM
The PMs I have been getting are great not to mention the good info. everybody has been chiming in with. Now it's a matter of contacting everyone who expressed interest and explaining the "vision". If it were up to me you know where my loyalty stands with what manufacturer(s) but there are also some others that would be great too. And yes, as of right now we just finished breakfast overlooking the 5th hole!!! I think in an hour or so we will head to the pool/waterslide and I'll fire up a Cohiba!
You slut. It's raining here.

ULTRA28
10-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Lake Norman would be a great area to open a dealership. I've ben looking into getting a dealership there. I would suggest having several lines of boats (not all performance either). It is really hard for a dealership to survive with only one line (or style) of boats.

Dana Marine Products
10-15-2007, 08:16 AM
You'd need to be prepared to lose everything invested. That appears to be the most likely scenerio in the boat industry it sounds like.
Unfortunately, this is very sound advice.

boatnam2
10-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Im going to go out on a limb and say i doubt one so cal mfg would have a problem selling you boats,times are tough and going to get alot worse. Well maybe dcb wouldnt but there the best just ask a owner.

IDRPSTF
10-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Just plan on working 18 hours 7 days per week and risking everything you have. Then plan on everyone you have ever met wanting a kickback whenever you sell a boat because they "Sent the buyer to you". Get ready for everyone knowing more than you and letting you know it! Dont forget that whatever you have in stock is priced WAY too high even though its 10% back of book and their trade in is a one of a kind that brings 50% over retail. Learn how to keep a straight face when someone tells you they want to sea trail a boat in the salt water to Catalina for lunch before they ever fill out a credit app because "They know you get in a bunch of tire kickers" but you can trust them because they are different. Learn the numbers:
1000 phonecalls = 10 in the door = 1 sale
But at the end of the day its the greatest job on earth. I run 6 boats each week and meet someof the coolest people around. Everyone is saying the market is a bust and boats wont sell... I am expanding, what does that tell you?

airpacker
10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I am expanding, what does that tell you?
That you throw in a reach around with every sale ? :D

IDRPSTF
10-16-2007, 12:43 PM
SHould I have said expanding with limits?