10-14-2007, 06:21 AM
Mater Dei ranked No. 5 in nation
Check out the national football rankings
OCVarsity.com
Rivals.com National Football Rankings
(After games of Sunday, Sept. 22)
*Previous ranking in parentheses
1. Northwestern (Miami, Fla.) 3-0 (1)
2. St. Xavier (Cincinnati, Ohio) 5-0 (2)
3. South Panola (Batesville, Miss.) 4-0 (3)
4. Katy (Katy, Texas) 3-0 (4)
5. Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 3-0 (5)6. Prattville (Prattville, Ala.) 4-0 (7)
7. Carroll (Southlake, Texas) 2-1 (8)
8. Central Catholic (Pittsburgh, Pa.) 4-0 (9)
9. Muskegon (Muskegon, Mich.) 5-0 (10)
10. Hamilton (Chandler, Ariz.) 5-0 (11)

phebus
10-14-2007, 06:23 AM
The power of God (and recruiting) is amazing. :D

boat boy
10-14-2007, 06:36 AM
Just like USC, the best team money can buy!!!

TCHB
10-14-2007, 06:39 AM
I have been involved in sports for many years with the girls and found it to the opposite. Strong teams draw people to them. If you have a child who is a strong player most likely you will guide them to the strong team over the weaker team.

phebus
10-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Very true, but I find it interesting how students that wouldn't normally qualify with their academics or financial status find a way to attend some of the private schools.

TCHB
10-14-2007, 06:53 AM
My daughter played softball for Mater Dei and I never saw it once. Her softball team won the state championship 2 of the 4 years. None of the girls were given special treatment. I think they were harder on the sports kids just like most schools.

boatnam2
10-14-2007, 06:53 AM
They got lucky top beat corona,ofcourse with some home cooking!

phebus
10-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Tony, I may be totally off base with this, but don't the booster club's of some of the sports (primarily football) help support some of the players families with tuition?

totenhosen
10-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Of course Mater Dei recruits. Even worse is Santa margarita, Campbell Hall (bball), Artesia, Dominquez and Westchester. (All for bball.)

billet racing 1
10-14-2007, 08:26 AM
I do recall they were rated above De La Salle and still got beat.
class of 79.
Jerry

TrojanDan
10-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Tony, I may be totally off base with this, but don't the booster club's of some of the sports (primarily football) help support some of the players families with tuition?
That's absolutely true. My younger brother graduated from Bishop Amat in '95. During those years and prior, many of his football teammates had "scholarships" to attend the school. The last several years the Monsignior (principal) got rid of the scholarships and hence the decline in their football program. Hopefully they can turn it around with their current coaching staff.

mbrown2
10-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Suprised Carrol is 6...heck they lost to #1 Northwestern...and were not manhandled.....but it was at TX they lost...both those programs are very strong..

UltraJet
10-14-2007, 10:36 AM
That's absolutely true. My younger brother graduated from Bishop Amat in '95. During those years and prior, many of his football teammates had "scholarships" to attend the school. The last several years the Monsignior (principal) got rid of the scholarships and hence the decline in their football program. Hopefully they can turn it around with their current coaching staff.
I agree with all that is being said here and I've always thought that it was bull$hit that teams could do this. How the heck do local teams compete?? What a crock! Why don't they just have tryouts for these types of teams, scholarship the team, and compete with other teams doin' the same?? It would much more interesting than watching lesser talent getting rolled up every friday night.

phebus
10-14-2007, 10:58 AM
I agree with all that is being said here and I've always thought that it was bull$hit that teams could do this. How the heck do local teams compete?? What a crock! Why don't they just have tryouts for these types of teams, scholarship the team, and compete with other teams doin' the same?? It would much more interesting than watching lesser talent getting rolled up every friday night.
I actually think that they don't compete. Didn't they seperate the private religous schools from the district schools and into their own league?

Havasu1986
10-14-2007, 11:04 AM
I actually think that they don't compete. Didn't they seperate the private religous schools from the district schools and into their own league?
You are correct...Trinity League consists of Mater Dei, Orange Luthern, Servite, Santa Margarita, JSERRA and St. John Bosco. The Academy leauge is made up of private schools also.

BadKachina
10-14-2007, 11:07 AM
10. Hamilton (Chandler, Ariz.) 5-0 (11)
Hamilton is always a good team.

TCHB
10-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Through my job I donate money to many public schools and sometime direct it to a specific need (income, english dept., music, drill team) or I let the school decide how they will allocate the money. It could go to a low income family with a talented football player and I would never know.

XtrmWakeborder
10-14-2007, 03:56 PM
My daughter played softball for Mater Dei and I never saw it once. Her softball team won the state championship 2 of the 4 years. None of the girls were given special treatment. I think they were harder on the sports kids just like most schools.
LOL I have heard a very different story from several close friends who went there. Some associated with the football program. Maybe it's diff with football.

TCHB
10-14-2007, 04:45 PM
I have no idea about the football program because I had daughters. Here is some interesting facts about the school.
98% continue on to college; 2% go on to work or military; 85% qualify for a four-year college 2004 SAT scores: 89% took the SAT; 533 average verbal, 541 average math
Up to 30% receive a total of $750,000 annually in need-based tuition assistance

XtrmWakeborder
10-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I have no idea about the football program because I had daughters. Here is some interesting facts about the school.
98% continue on to college; 2% go on to work or military; 85% qualify for a four-year college 2004 SAT scores: 89% took the SAT; 533 average verbal, 541 average math
Up to 30% receive a total of $750,000 annually in need-based tuition assistance
For the price you pay they damn well better go to college!:sqeyes:

Third Alarm
10-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I graduated from O-Lu in 87 (20yr reunion last night) My dad was the basketball coch there for years so I've seen the changes. Some I did not agree with but it sure did seem to work. At least for football, if you believe you have a kid with alot of talent these schools will get them recognition.
Pete Carol is at O-Lu every week. He recruited 3 last year (Aron Corp).
Hopefully O-Lu will stay undefeated, if they do I'll be at the O-Lu - Mater Dei game. I went to a couple of games last year there was so much hipe and press and colleges there it was unbelievable.
Jeff

TCHB
10-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Overall the school is not that expensive. I think the annual rate is still under $7K a year plus books. There are many other private schools that are tripple that rate. After spending a lot of time on campus it reminded of an old fashioned school. They kept the focus on math, science, reading and holding the kids to set expectations that would lead them to a 4 year university. I was also impressed with the amount of grand parents paying the bill for the grand children at attend. A few of my daughters friends were so motivated knowing that grandpa was footing the bills.

XtrmWakeborder
10-14-2007, 07:09 PM
It's almost 9k plus books not Catholic and almost 10k plus books Catholic. Funny about the grandpa thing, one of my friends did it that way.

Danhercules
10-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I went to Orange Lutheran. 91-93. The head coach now was my head coach. It was his first year. He truned that progam inside out! Its amazing how well they are doing now.
I think the Mater Dei game would be killer to go to. Wonder if my jacket still fits, I dont think so! LOL

totenhosen
10-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I think the Mater Dei game would be killer to go to. Wonder if my jacket still fits, I dont think so! LOL
Even if if did, don't be THAT guy!

Mrs 2LKHVSU
10-14-2007, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=TCHB;2840013]Mater Dei ranked No. 5 in nation
Check out the national football rankings
OCVarsity.com
You must be an alumni...

BADBLOWN572
10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Overall the school is not that expensive. I think the annual rate is still under $7K a year plus books. There are many other private schools that are tripple that rate. After spending a lot of time on campus it reminded of an old fashioned school. They kept the focus on math, science, reading and holding the kids to set expectations that would lead them to a 4 year university.
I saw this all the time in H.S. too. I graduated from Servite in '98. I came from a public school and the way things were run was COMPLETELY different. It was a complete shock when I got there. In 4 years I had one P.E. class. My freshman year, my classes were: Ethics, Math, English Composition, English Literature, Biology, & History. My sophomore year my elective choices were between Anatomy or Chemistry. They pretty much TRAIN you to go to college. Pretty much everyone that I know from High School went to college for at least a couple of years. When I got into college, it was extremely easy. It was nothing in comparison to high school.
As for "boosters" I know that they were there, but we never really saw them. I played football, water polo, and swam. The one thing that the boosters did do was to buy top of the line equipment, and tools for sports teams. Having great facilities definitely helps attract athletic tallent. Schollarships were need based and probably 70% of them went to non athletes. The only thing that was preferential towards athletes is the ability of resources, ie tutors. If we ever had a problem in school and the coaches found out about it, they would arrange a tutor for us. Basically they were our big brother that would keep us eligible even if we didn't want the help.

Havasu1986
10-15-2007, 11:47 AM
My kids grandparents will be paying for any education they choose, private HS, USC, basically whatever they qualify for when the time comes. It's already worked out.
Their called Mother and Father in laws also..:eek: :D

prosthogod
10-15-2007, 12:33 PM
"Mater Die" Servite '83, enough said.