PDA

View Full Version : 1990's BMW 325i opinions

maxwedge
10-14-2007, 03:20 PM
I am debating getting one as a third vehichle, possibly a '93, just to run around town with, so I don't have to drive a fullsize pickup or a tiny Alfa Spider everywhere or in case I ever want to drive more than two people someplace. I know there are some BMW owners and experts on here so I was just hoping to get some input. I have always loved the looks/performance of these cars and there are getting ridiculously cheap on ebay etc, but I'm just wondering what quirks I should be on the lookout for. I'm pretty mechanical, so not much scares me, but then again for the price I'm willing to pay, I do expect a few problems.:D

Wet Dream
10-14-2007, 03:29 PM
A buddy of mine has a white one, and I still love that old school look they had back then.

HALLETT BOY
10-14-2007, 03:32 PM
I am debating getting one as a third vehichle, possibly a '93, just to run around town with, so I don't have to drive a fullsize pickup or a tiny Alfa Spider everywhere or in case I ever want to drive more than two people someplace. I know there are some BMW owners and experts on here so I was just hoping to get some input. I have always loved the looks/performance of these cars and there are getting ridiculously cheap on ebay etc, but I'm just wondering what quirks I should be on the lookout for. I'm pretty mechanical, so not much scares me, but then again for the price I'm willing to pay, I do expect a few problems.:D
Any BMW, Audi, MB gets real cheap after the warrany expires ...guess why ?

maxwedge
10-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Any BMW, Audi, MB gets real cheap after the warrany expires ...guess why ?
Because most people who buy them don't know anything about fixing cars, good independent mechanics are in short supply, and the dealership charges a shitload for parts and service, but with the advent of the internet, ebay and aftermarket parts, the rest of us can have expensive european cars for not much money, just a bit of labor and troubleshooting here and there.:D

Jbb
10-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I have a 325 is .....that my son has tried to destroy on numerous occasions...my first dealings with BMW from a mechanical standpoint....(I have painted many)...and I have to say...from a mechanics standpoint they are very user friendly....simple things...drain plugs on gas tank, trans pan ..ect...panels to access everything...I liked it....and it was plenty powerful with the 6 cyl engine! ...In fact...it is still sitting in my basement....after he ran it out of water.....and thought the light was an xmas decoration...:D

maxwedge
10-14-2007, 04:38 PM
...In fact...it is still sitting in my basement....after he ran it out of water.....and thought the light was an xmas decoration...:D
The basement? I'm thinking if it survived the drive down the stairs, it must be damn near indestructable. Did your wife complain much about the tire tracks on the living room carpet?

Sleek-Jet
10-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Because most people who buy them don't know anything about fixing cars, good independent mechanics are in short supply, and the dealership charges a shitload for parts and service, but with the advent of the internet, ebay and aftermarket parts, the rest of us can have expensive european cars for not much money, just a bit of labor and troubleshooting here and there.:D
Exactly... I've got a 94 525i and it is suprisingly easy to work on. And really it hasn't needed anything any other older car would. I just got done putting brakes on it and it wasn't any different than my Chevy.
Check out Bimmerfoums.com more info than you will ever need and it's arranged to be model specific.

Jbb
10-14-2007, 04:41 PM
The basement? I'm thinking if it survived the drive down the stairs, it must be damn near indestructable. Did your wife complain much about the tire tracks on the living room carpet?
Drive in basement...still no jeep...:)

AZKC
10-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Exactly... I've got a 94 525i and it is suprisingly easy to work on. And really it hasn't needed anything any other older car would. I just got done putting brakes on it and it wasn't any different than my Chevy.
Check out Bimmerfoums.com more info than you will ever need and it's arranged to be model specific.
195k on our 95 325is:D Over engineered is an understatement, but if you find one well maintained they are a good car. Learning to work on them yourself is a big plus:D
Rockies Sux:D :D

Sleek-Jet
10-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Bushy says you don't know more than two people... :D
And how 'bout them Rockies... :D

Xlration Marine
10-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Well lets see. The e30's have the M20 engine in them, single came. The rockers tend to break above the 140,000 mile mark. They are great on gass. Parts are easy to get and there is a guy in Cali that has go fast goodies for them. I've seen some of them with 200k pluss on the odometer. Clutch's last like forever. You can get a stroker crank for them and make some good HP's. BMP is a good parts store on line. Plenty of web sites to answer any question. A very strong car. The e36 is not bad, has it's issues. Weak strut tower suports in the rear, and they will break. Bad AC system with the new HEPA Filter. Plenty of go fast parts. Stay away from the 95 M3, bad valves. E34 525i,530i (v8) and 540i (junk motor do not buy). The 525i came with the m20 engine for a little while and then went to the M50 dual vanos twin cam. You will get 30 mpg with this car. Go to www.maxbimmer.com look at the e30 235i with the inline M3 engine in it. Thats a sweet ride.

Xlration Marine
10-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Oh yea M20 needs a valve adjustment every 15K. Should cost a bill, mabe less.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I have had a few and never had the problems many people talk about. They ranged from an 80 320I, 2 later 325's a 635 and my last was a 97 M3. They all drove great. Just my .02

maxwedge
10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Bushy says you don't know more than two people... :D
And how 'bout them Rockies... :D
That's not true, I know Bushy, I know her mom, and I met you once, so that's three, plus the imaginary wife so that's four right there.:D
Not much good to say about the Cubs. They choked hard, D-backs deserved that one.

Xlration Marine
10-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Click on this. Go to the bottom right and click on the E30MPowered. It's an M3 engine in an E30 325i. It not an M3 E30, you can tell by the fenders.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/videos/page2.html
Oh yea CRANK IT UP!!!

Jordy
10-14-2007, 05:36 PM
3's are great cars.... as long as you have a vagina. ;)
The only exception would be if the 3 has an M in front of it, and then you slide by on a technicality. :notam:

ULTRA26 # 1
10-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Click on this. Go to the bottom right and click on the E30MPowered. It's an M3 engine in an E30 325i. It not an M3 E30, you can tell by the fenders.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/videos/page2.html
Oh yea CRANK IT UP!!!
Fenders and the E30 M3 was a 4 cyl, which the car in the vid, wasn't. That thing moved. :D :D
Cool video, thanks

totenhosen
10-14-2007, 05:52 PM
325 is a dog. Get at least a 328 or 330.

whiteworks
10-14-2007, 06:23 PM
when I met my wife she came with one "Daddy's girl" great little car for quite a few years. I think it was a 94 and she drove it till 06. it started having maintence issues small ones most of the time and once in a while a big one. the samll issues were not mechinical so much as function of things like windows, doors/handles/PDL,trunk weird shit to fix and trouble shoot. there was some seal around the main computer that leaked when it rained and fried the computer it seemed like with maintaining the essential and having the little things fixed along the way it was like a grand most of the times it went to the shop. anyways long story short we dropped the car off at her Dads and went and got her a new X5. her pops kept the 325 as a spare for running around locally.

Xlration Marine
10-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Fenders and the E30 M3 was a 4 cyl, which the car in the vid, wasn't. That thing moved. :D :D
Cool video, thanks
Yup the N14, miss a shift head to the shop. We have a local guy that races one. I saw him spank an 850 on PIR, the complete oval. 850 V12, and it was driven by a race instuctor.Take a close look that the old e30 m3, and look at the rear end and trunk lid. Now look at the new, well almost new 7, 5 and 3 rear deck lids:idea: . That old M3 inspired the look of the new cars, which every one said was ugly and now it's being copied. What do you know about that.
Best thing to do is get the e30 325i with an e46 M3 short block and put the head and elecronics of an M3 OBD1 on that short block. E Z to tune and make close to 400 ponies on the Dino. OBDll is a biatch.

Xlration Marine
10-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Another quick note. The e30 also came in a 320i model some with a 4 and a few with a six. The 4's were bought up by BMW, with a bunch of miles on them 50k-100k. These engines had a good seasoned block. And?? Well they used them in the Formula 1 cars, tubo charged. They did dyno test's, with pulls over 1100 horse power. Not bad out of a 2 littler four banger. A 2.8 is a 2.5 with a diesel crank. And the 3.0 puts out the same power as the old M3 e36. Not much more than the 2.5. And if you look around maxbimmer you will see diesel powered 5's putting out 1000 horse power, what a tire roaster.

HALLETT BOY
10-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Next time your at your local drive-through, note how many used high-end car
owners have to open the door to talk to the clown...their power windows don't work ! They cost too much to fix !

Xlration Marine
10-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Mine worked, let it go with a 170,000 miles on it, secound owner. Open all the windows and sun roof. Put the key in,lock it, hold it and they will all shut at the same time.
I was watching the TODAY show with Briant Gummball (yes gummball). His bimmer was stollen. He said " do you know what BMW stands for". Katie Kuric said "NO". He said "Break My Window".

maxwedge
10-14-2007, 07:02 PM
I just looked up "BMW power window motor" in ebay and came up with about 10 different 318/325 window motors all between $10-20 with nobody bidding on them either, so doesn't really seem like a hot item. Like I said people don't know how to fix the stuff and it cost $700 at the dealer, $10 on ebay. Power windows wear out after a several thousand uses, happens to every make and model. No manufactuers power windows last forever. If that's the biggest problem, I'm very non-concerned.

AZKC
10-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Go with an E36, with a M50 motor:D
Where the hell is Ziggy:confused:

Xlration Marine
10-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Go with an E36, with a M50 motor:D
Where the hell is Ziggy:confused:
No! Bad AC, and bad rear strut towers, they break. The shock will punch right through into the car. Go with the e30. Get a used motor, M50 if you want or the 2.8 or 3.0. Must be out of a 5 series, oil pan and cross member are the same, unlike the 3's. Or just put the E36 M engine in it. And if you want to get nuts about it drop in a 350 or 400 small block cheby. You will have to take the power break booster and move it to the front, look under the hood of a 5 and you will see what I'm talking about. Now you will have a SCREAMER. They fit. Just stick with the stock 150 hp m20 and drive the wheels off it.

maxwedge
10-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Okay, how did we go from cheap beater/dailey driver to swapping in small block chevy motors?
Actually come to think of it, just about every vehichle I own does seem to accidently wind up modified or hot rodded or completely disassembled laying around the garage for two years, somehow or another, even if I swear I'm not going to touch it... carry on.:D

hazard
10-15-2007, 06:45 AM
I owned an older BMW and am also pretty mechanical (built my own rockcrawling jeep, etc). I found that parts for these are much more expensive than american cars (which is to be expected) and they are complicated to work on.
There is a large enthusiest base for these. Alot of information on the internet on how to fix them, etc. If you get into the years that have onboard computers though, then you are opening up a whole new can of worms.
I think they are great cars, but when things break, they are complicated and expensive. Not too much more complicated than say a honda, but just different.

maxwedge
11-11-2007, 08:51 AM
In light of recent BMW related threads, now seemes like a good time to bump this thread for more opinions.:D

moparjet
11-12-2007, 05:06 AM
I just looked up "BMW power window motor" in ebay and came up with about 10 different 318/325 window motors all between $10-20 with nobody bidding on them either, so doesn't really seem like a hot item. Like I said people don't know how to fix the stuff and it cost $700 at the dealer, $10 on ebay. Power windows wear out after a several thousand uses, happens to every make and model. No manufactuers power windows last forever. If that's the biggest problem, I'm very non-concerned.
every bmw has diff. problems. if you buy one check all suspension parts they like to go bad.. if you have any problems let me now..i work for bmw as a tech. i will help you any way i can. and you are a fellow mopar fan