PDA

View Full Version : Usmc

SandbarScot
10-15-2007, 05:18 AM
When our soldiers were lined up on the Kuwait-Iraq border, in the final show down when Bush gave Sadam 24 hours to surrender, it was a tense day.
My son, Nick, was 13 then. I didn't imagine he would have anything to do with it...that the war would still be enduring so many years later.
Tonight, he travels to MCRD San Diego. Boot camp starts tomorrow morning. He has enlisted to be a Marine. If Nick passes through all his schools, he will be a Reconnaissance Marine - high speed, low drag - all the fun stuff.
Some of you on the boards know Nick. Wish him well. As the proud dad, I know I will.

GHT
10-15-2007, 06:00 AM
Don't know him but I do wish him well. Thanks to men like Nick we are, and will remain, a free country. Well, more free than most.:idea:
THANKS!!!

OGShocker
10-15-2007, 06:02 AM
All the best to your son. Thank you for sharing him with the rest of us.

boatsnblondes
10-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Semper Fi kid....we wish you the best....good luck...:D

boatseller2
10-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Nick, I don't know you, but I just want to say "GOD BLESS YOU", and all the other Men and Women who give of themselves to ensure our way of life. The sacrifices you have and will make for all of us, makes me very proud to be an American. I wish the years hadn't caught up with me so I could be next to you again. Stay low, move fast, and may god be with you. Thanks again!!!

LakeTrash
10-15-2007, 07:03 AM
After I got out of Paris Island I had duty next to the barracks of the guys who were trying to qualify for Force Recon. I thought I was bad ass (boot camp does that to you) but those guys were off the hook.
Semper Fi, Nick and Godspeed.
LT

Baja Big Dog
10-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Well, I can honestly say I now have a friend that is a Raider fan!!!!
Tell your kid to give um hell!!!!
And thanks him!!!:D

Havasu Luvr
10-15-2007, 08:04 AM
HOOAH Nick. we're all on the same team (Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines). Remember to be a "SMART" Soldier and no worries, Papa is already Proud of you as I am proud of mine. I now have 2 sons in Baghdad and a 3rd son due to deploy in March.
"EOD" to the Bone

SandbarScot
10-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I am going to get Nick to read them before he heads out tonight.
Now, here's the real kicker! Nick is my step-son. I also have a daughter the same age (18). Her name is Janae. Janae is entering the Coast Guard basic training in Cape May, NJ tomorrow also. Basic training for both my youngest kids starts on the SAME DAY! What a coincidence. I am so proud of Janae as well.

spectratoad
10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Congrats to both of your children. Godspeed and keep your heads on a swivel no matter where in the world you end up. Coast Guard is no longer just "our" coast. We had them with us in the Persian Gulf back in 89.
Your Dad has got to be proud and scared all at the same time so give him an extra hug before you leave. Tough guys need them too. :D :D

Speedman
10-15-2007, 04:48 PM
SEMPER FI To the young man. May he be blessed as he becomes one of our finest.

shadow
10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
All the best to your son. Thank you for sharing him with the rest of us.
ditto on this as well!!

eman1625
10-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Best of luck to both of your kids! My brother in-law is a Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer. He has some great stories!

SandbarScot
10-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all your comments.
We just dropped Nick off at the recruiters. They take him to MCRD-San Diego tonight.
Janae reports at 0600 hours tomorrow.

SandbarScot
10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
And by tonight, you mean at like 3am. Where they will then begin to terrorize him for the next 3 months. :D
They way I understand it, he gets a bunch of shots and medical/dental checks and uniforms issued for couple days while the rest of the recruits from around the country get their sorry ass over here. Then, they are supposed to "meet" the Drill Instructors starting Friday...thats when the shiznit really starts.
I told my wife that they will meet them (the D.I.s) at Starbucks and have a casual conversation about the rules and ways of the Marine Corp. She said, "Really. Thats very nice." Too f-'n funny :D

burbanite
10-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Best of luck to both of them!
Serving your country is the pinnacle of selflessness and I especially have to take my hat off to anyone who signs up during times like we are experiencing now...
To say I am thankful would be an understatement. I am also envious in a way that only some people would understand.
If Janae ever wants a little R&R my wife and I live not too far away in CT, on a lake and boat whenever we can. We have daughters around the same age and would not hesitate to do what ever we could for her and her shipmates.

SandbarScot
10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Best of luck to both of them!
Serving your country is the pinnacle of selflessness and I especially have to take my hat off to anyone who signs up during times like we are experiencing now...
To say I am thankful would be an understatement. I am also envious in a way that only some people would understand.
If Janae ever wants a little R&R my wife and I live not too far away in CT, on a lake and boat whenever we can. We have daughters around the same age and would not hesitate to do what ever we could for her and her shipmates.
Thank you for such a gracious offer. I'll be back in NJ in December for her graduation. I don't know much about the east coast, but enough to know that sure won't be boating weather :)

DeltaSigBoater
10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Best of Luck to him... Semper Fi :D

scooooter7
10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Congrats and good luck to both of them. My oldest son was Air Force reserve and was called up for a year in 2001. Basic is tough but they'll be better for it.

CBadDad
10-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Scot, you can be assured that the terror has started. True, they won'meet their DI until their heads are shaved and they're all wearing the same cammies, so he won't have any impressions of them. But they are all being yelled at right now as I write this and will be living on three hours of sleep a night for the next few months. He's not the first to go through it...
I hoped someone sat him down and told him to just keeps his mouth shut, pay attention to details and never volunteer for anything. If not, it won't take him long to figure it out. :D
Best of luck to him. Semper Fi!
Good luck to your daughter too. The CG is the best gig in the military. I wish I would've been smart enough to join the Coasties.
And lastly, I too, want to thank you and your wife for raising children that are willing to step up. God bless your family.
P.S., friggin' awesome avatar.

SandbarScot
10-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Comparing Air Force basic to Marine Corps boot camp is like comparing a picnic in the Poconos to being mauled by a bear. :D
That being said, I wish I was smart enough to join the Air Force. Their chow hall was like a Marie Callender's. :D
My guess is that Nick and Janae will be at opposite ends of the spectrum..Coast Guard is probably about as easy as the Air Force basic training and Marines are brutal (although recon school will make boot camp look easy).
As soon as I can coordinate, they will be writing to each other. They are step bro and sis and only 7 weeks apart in age.

scooooter7
10-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Comparing Air Force basic to Marine Corps boot camp is like comparing a picnic in the Poconos to being mauled by a bear. :D
That being said, I wish I was smart enough to join the Air Force. Their chow hall was like a Marie Callender's. :D
Yup, he did his research.

SandbarScot
10-16-2007, 02:56 AM
I went to ITS first, then to Basic Recon school, then to Mountain Warfare school (my least favorite), then to Airborne school (that was the best), and then to SERE school. He will likely have to do the same, although I don't think you're required to go to Mountain Warfare anymore. That was when they thought they'd be inserting us into Siberia. :D
After he gets out in the fleet, tell him to beg to go to ANGLICO. I went to JTACs School. I actually considered making a lat move to Air Traffic Control before I got out. ANGLICO is the best. You get to jump and you get haz duty pay and jump pay, but hardly anybody is ever shooting at you. :D
Yup, its still the same. Infantry training, then Recon (BRC). He graduates boot camp in January, so we'll get more info then.
Janae gets to pick 3 duty stations and will probably be assigned to one: San Diego, Long Beach, or Hawaii. Funny, the Marine's don't give you choices like that :confused:

burbanite
10-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Thank you for such a gracious offer. I'll be back in NJ in December for her graduation. I don't know much about the east coast, but enough to know that sure won't be boating weather :)
No kidding...:)
A change of scenery for a little while might be a good thing.
This is our view of the lake from last winter....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6Candlewood8.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6Candlewood9.jpg

SandbarScot
10-16-2007, 07:32 AM
No kidding...:)
A change of scenery for a little while might be a good thing.
This is our view of the lake from last winter....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6Candlewood8.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6Candlewood9.jpg
Beautiful. You just don't get that change-of-season look out west. I'm surprised there is no snow.

socalmoney
10-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I am going to get Nick to read them before he heads out tonight.
Now, here's the real kicker! Nick is my step-son. I also have a daughter the same age (18). Her name is Janae. Janae is entering the Coast Guard basic training in Cape May, NJ tomorrow also. Basic training for both my youngest kids starts on the SAME DAY! What a coincidence. I am so proud of Janae as well.
Our friends son just finished boot for the Coast Guard a few months ago. What a wake up call for him. He thought it would be easy, turns out it really challenged him and he is much better for it. Good luck to your kids.

SandbarScot
10-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Our friends son just finished boot for the Coast Guard a few months ago. What a wake up call for him. He thought it would be easy, turns out it really challenged him and he is much better for it. Good luck to your kids.
Thanks Josh. We gotta hit up Chuy's one of these days.

SandbarScot
11-18-2007, 08:53 PM
UPDATE:
Nick is doing well in boot camp. He writes often.
Janae is graduating at or near the top of her class next month, and ended up getting a sweet assignment: Barbers Point CGAS Oahu, HI. Lucky girl!!! :D

DUNDUN
11-18-2007, 09:59 PM
When our soldiers were lined up on the Kuwait-Iraq border, in the final show down when Bush gave Sadam 24 hours to surrender, it was a tense day.
My son, Nick, was 13 then. I didn't imagine he would have anything to do with it...that the war would still be enduring so many years later.
Tonight, he travels to MCRD San Diego. Boot camp starts tomorrow morning. He has enlisted to be a Marine. If Nick passes through all his schools, he will be a Reconnaissance Marine - high speed, low drag - all the fun stuff.
Some of you on the boards know Nick. Wish him well. As the proud dad, I know I will.
my best friend travis is getting into usmc recon as soon as he gets a bar removed from his chest.
congratulations to your son!

hotsand65
11-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Thank You!

Trailer Park Casanova
11-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Best Wishes to your son.
Write to him all you can.

Stoneman
11-19-2007, 05:57 AM
From a Marine, to a soon to be a Marine, Good Luck and Semper Fi.

ToMorrow44
11-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Congrats to both of your kids. I can honestly say that they have made a great decision. I am a little more partial to Coast Guard though ;)
-Tom

fatboy95
11-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Wish him well and Thank You for stepping up and serving our country.
God Bless and Semper Fi

Caljamr
11-19-2007, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=CBadDad;2842705]Scot, you can be assured that the terror has started. True, they won'meet their DI until their heads are shaved and they're all wearing the same cammies, so he won't have any impressions of them. But they are all being yelled at right now as I write this and will be living on three hours of sleep a night for the next few months. He's not the first to go through it...
I hoped someone sat him down and told him to just keeps his mouth shut, pay attention to details and never volunteer for anything. If not, it won't take him long to figure it out. :D
This is the best advice i give people when i hear they are joining any armed forces and it's something that has stuck with me 20 years after boot camp.
"Listen and pay attention to detail" it works in the military and civilian life.
Good luck to your son and thank him for preserving our way of life with his call to duty.

SandbarScot
12-04-2007, 04:55 AM
My daughter graduates from USCG training center at Cape May NEW JERSEY Friday.
As a law enforcement officer, I will be presenting her certificate at the ceremony in Class A uniform. I am anticipating quite a proud moment :) .
The marines have a longer boot camp, so my son won't graduate until January. We have a christmas tree set up with a usmc ornament with his name on it.
Thank you all for your supporting comments.