PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Gun camera footage...

boatsnblondes
10-15-2007, 07:17 PM
This is great stuff!!!!!
Just declassified footage from the European theatre...enjoy!!!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2ad_1192434292
BTW, why would WW2 film still be classified 50+ years later??? Just curious....

Riverkid
10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
shooting skeet... :D

Sleeper CP
10-15-2007, 08:13 PM
That is a good question.:confused:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Cigalert
10-16-2007, 05:46 AM
This is great stuff!!!!!
Just declassified footage from the European theatre...enjoy!!!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2ad_1192434292
Here's a lengthy explanation why they were recently declassified.
You heard wrong. They have not been classified for about...oh, 45 years. Do a search on guncams. You'll find a lot of information on all kinds of planes of WWII European theater that has been available for years. Spitfire, Hurricane, Dewo, Bell-14, P-51, P-47, P-38, Me-109, FW-190, ME-262, ME-110 just to name a few. The enemy planes shown in the video are mainly Me-109F3/4's (used later in the European campaign). Most of the P-47's shown in formation and fly-by's are p-47D's ("bubble canopy" first delivery in May 1944). The link also says that the p47 was introduced in May 1941. Not true either. The p47b was tested 1942 and had some structural issues with the tail assembly and they changed the control surfaces to all metal on the p47c placed into service and shipped to England for the first time in late 1942. The first combat mission for the p47 was not until March 1943.
Specifically for that clip, it has been extracted from a 45 min DVD called "thunderbolt". It is footage filmed from the 65th and 57th fighter groups while based in Corsica. The straffing on the second half of the video shows them doing what they were told to do, cutting off german supply lines in Italy.
Lesson to be learned: Just because someone typed info on a link they personally uploaded on the internet, doesn't make it true.

THOR
10-16-2007, 05:52 AM
That's intense.

boatsnblondes
10-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Here's a lengthy explanation why they were recently declassified.
You heard wrong. They have not been classified for about...oh, 45 years. Do a search on guncams. You'll find a lot of information on all kinds of planes of WWII European theater that has been available for years. Spitfire, Hurricane, Dewo, Bell-14, P-51, P-47, P-38, Me-109, FW-190, ME-262, ME-110 just to name a few. The enemy planes shown in the video are mainly Me-109F3/4's (used later in the European campaign). Most of the P-47's shown in formation and fly-by's are p-47D's ("bubble canopy" first delivery in May 1944). The link also says that the p47 was introduced in May 1941. Not true either. The p47b was tested 1942 and had some structural issues with the tail assembly and they changed the control surfaces to all metal on the p47c placed into service and shipped to England for the first time in late 1942. The first combat mission for the p47 was not until March 1943.
Specifically for that clip, it has been extracted from a 45 min DVD called "thunderbolt". It is footage filmed from the 65th and 57th fighter groups while based in Corsica. The straffing on the second half of the video shows them doing what they were told to do, cutting off german supply lines in Italy.
Lesson to be learned: Just because someone typed info on a link they personally uploaded on the internet, doesn't make it true.
Wow, your knowledge is impressive......I take it your a history buff like me?? And thanks for the clarification on the footage...I have to kind of take it as fact if they type it, I have no other source, (well, had, now I got you:D ) to rely on...anyways, what else do you study?? Civil war, WW1/2?? Might make for some great convo's in the future...

Cigalert
10-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Wow, your knowledge is impressive......I take it your a history buff like me?? And thanks for the clarification on the footage...I have to kind of take it as fact if they type it, I have no other source, (well, had, now I got you:D ) to rely on...anyways, what else do you study?? Civil war, WW1/2?? Might make for some great convo's in the future...
Mainly WWII. I've dabbled in the Civil War, WWI and Vietnam history but there was, IMO, a lot less stradegy. Early wars were won/lost basic planning and pride. Civil war was old thinking, marching into a field shoulder to shoulder to die...pointless. WWI was localized and really not our problem but we helped. Vietnam was a rediculous thought process that after Korea all of our mechanical developements were to focus on a "we don't need guns, we have the bomb" style of thinking. Roman era wars are a lot more interesting because of the stradegy and weaponry used during those times. Those Roman dudes were ruthless but the history is not extremely accurate so it does not interest me as much as WWII.
During WWII I don't think there has ever been or will ever be a greater period for mechanical advancements in such a short period of time.
Enough of this serious speak for today...I have to go throw firecrackers at cats.

boatsnblondes
10-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Mainly WWII. I've dabbled in the Civil War, WWI and Vietnam history but there was, IMO, a lot less stradegy. Early wars were won/lost basic planning and pride. Civil war was old thinking, marching into a field shoulder to shoulder to die...pointless. WWI was localized and really not our problem but we helped. Vietnam was a rediculous thought process that after Korea all of our mechanical developements were to focus on a "we don't need guns, we have the bomb" style of thinking. Roman era wars are a lot more interesting because of the stradegy and weaponry used during those times. Those Roman dudes were ruthless but the history is not extremely accurate so it does not interest me as much as WWII.
During WWII I don't think there has ever been or will ever be a greater period for mechanical advancements in such a short period of time.
Enough of this serious speak for today...I have to go throw firecrackers at cats.
I used to chase them through folks front yards on a moped when I lived in North County, lots of fun....I love WW2 also, but I kinda went towards the naval aspect of it all...so much potential was built, yet never really used...amazing...favorite ship of all time? the Yamato...Japans tribute to how to waste a battleship....sigh...:)