PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a new TV for the garage and need advice....

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 09:03 AM
I would like a flat screen that can hang from the ceiling or attach to the wall. Looked at some at Sams Club this weekend and there are a lot of friggin' different ones. It gets a little confusing these days as I don't keep up with this shit. I do have a 64 inch HDTV in the living room now but it came with the house.
What would be the best for low maintenance and good quality? LCD, plasma, DLP?, HDTV, etc?
I have DirecTV if that matters with speakers wired in the ceiling throughout the house and garage.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.....Thanks

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't put anything that nice in the garage, a 720p (768p actually) LCD would be the route I would take.
Oh, and I would go with a well knonw name brand.

Ziggy
10-16-2007, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't put anything that nice in the garage, a 720p (768p actually) LCD would be the route I would take.
Tom, you and Phebus should go shopping together for tv's...package deal ;)

Not So Fast
10-16-2007, 09:13 AM
I see a new business venture for you Juan,;) it seems like we all need help as this home entertainment stuff is SO VERY CONFUSING!!:confused: Oh, yeah, I'm sitting here waiting fof the infamous 8-12 guy to re-aim my HD dish, any bets on when he shows, if at all:( NSF

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 09:24 AM
My garage is totally clean and sealed pretty well. I actually mop the floor :) It is a rather large with one side being an RV gargae 60 feet deep and the other side a two car garage. There is a pool table and ping pong table there also. We are kind of converting the two car garage into a party room.
I plan on spending a lot of time in there, especially with football going on and basketball getting ready to start

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Tom, you and Phebus should go shopping together for tv's...package deal ;)
Maybe we should hold hands and whistle while we skip along....lol

Ziggy
10-16-2007, 09:26 AM
I see a new business venture for you Juan,;) it seems like we all need help as this home entertainment stuff is SO VERY CONFUSING!!:confused: Oh, yeah, I'm sitting here waiting fof the infamous 8-12 guy to re-aim my HD dish, any bets on when he shows, if at all:( NSF
Well I see why you ranted about cable in Havi this weekend....no Charger football..........so I listened to it on my satalite radio.
What a pathetic Cardinal game that was :rolleyes:

Ziggy
10-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Maybe we should hold hands and whistle while we skip along....lol
LOL, that's for you guys to decide :D

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 09:30 AM
LOL, that's for you guys to decide :D
He is a BAD BAD man. He scares me and if I did go with him I am afraid of what he might do......
:)

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
My garage is totally clean and sealed pretty well. I actually mop the floor :) It is a rather large with one side being an RV gargae 60 feet deep and the other side a two car garage. There is a pool table and ping pong table there also. We are kind of converting the two car garage into a party room.
I plan on spending a lot of time in there, especially with football going on and basketball getting ready to start
Then I take it that there will be a lot of light and people will be watching from different angles.
I would go with the new Samsung 71 or 81 series LCD, nice and bright, crushes the blacks but for what you will be watching, that wont matter. You didn't mention what size, but the 81 goes up to 57"s and the 71 up to 52"s
My second choice would be the Sharp Aquos, some have banding issues, but if you don't know what that is, you will never see it.

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Then I take it that there will be a lot of light and people will be watching from different angles.
I would go with the new Samsung 71 or 81 series LCD, nice and bright, crushes the blacks but for what you will be watching, that wont matter. You didn't mention what size, but the 81 goes up to 57"s and the 71 up to 52"s
My second choice would be the Sharp Aquos, some have banding issues, but if you don't know what that is, you will never see it.
Thanks Juan....Costco or Sams Club for purchase?

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks Juan....Costco or Sams Club for purchase?
The Samsungs are new models, so I don't think any of them will carry it just yet. I know they carry Sharp, but I don't think they carry anything in the 50" range.

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
The Samsungs are new models, so I don't think any of them will carry it just yet. I know they carry Sharp, but I don't think they carry anything in the 50" range.
Thanks again Juan.....
Just one more ?....where can you buy the Samsung new models and what kind of pricing should I expect? Maybe a 40-45 inch or so....

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 09:59 AM
I think about opening a store at times, but there is just too much competition out there with all the chain stores and the internet.
Hope the guy shows up and takes care of your issues.

77Woodbridge
10-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Once you pick a size, mock it up on the wall with cardboard to be sure that you can see it. Like if you have your garage doors open and are outside a few paces, that the top is not cut off etc.

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks again Juan.....
Just one more ?....where can you buy the Samsung new models and what kind of pricing should I expect? Maybe a 40-45 inch or so....
The 71 series can be found at Bestbuy for 3k, the 81 series will be 4k give or take a $100 bucks. And that is for the 46" models. Circuit City also carries the 71 series for about the same price. These are the latest models, so that is why they are expensive right now. Go look at a Sharp, if you like what you see, get it. The Sharps will save you about 1k.

Not So Fast
10-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I think about opening a store at times, but there is just too much competition out there with all the chain stores and the internet.
Hope the guy shows up and takes care of your issues.
11:35 and not here yet Juan:mad: Just pisses you off when you sit here waiting for them ya know.
When i was looking for my HD Samsung I found that Sams and the like usually sold last years models. I bought from SoundBank here in Havasu and they matched any of the big retailers so for ease of the buying experience they got my biz. If you dont care about the ease stuff then www.Buy.com was the cheapest by far, Soundbank couldnt match them:idea: NSF

djunkie
10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
I know most will say its a POS but I have a 47" Visio LCD that I use as my main tv and I really like it. I'm no tv guru by any means but for only paying around $1600 for it I think it is awesome. Had it for a year now and so far no problems what so ever. But seeing as Tom's a baller he may want a higher end brand. :D :D

dc96819
10-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Philips 100 inch HDTV is a good one for a big area

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 12:34 PM
:jawdrop:
I bet that one cost a few pennies

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I know most will say its a POS but I have a 47" Visio LCD that I use as my main tv and I really like it. I'm no tv guru by any means but for only paying around $1600 for it I think it is awesome. Had it for a year now and so far no problems what so ever. But seeing as Tom's a baller he may want a higher end brand. :D :D
Shit....Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :)
I was looking at those over the weekend and that is what got me started on all of this. They looked pretty good to me. Isn't the Visio a plain wrap made by some other major mfr?

Hardly Satisfied
10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I would like a flat screen that can hang from the ceiling or attach to the wall. Looked at some at Sams Club this weekend and there are a lot of friggin' different ones. It gets a little confusing these days as I don't keep up with this shit. I do have a 64 inch HDTV in the living room now but it came with the house.
What would be the best for low maintenance and good quality? LCD, plasma, DLP?, HDTV, etc?
I have DirecTV if that matters with speakers wired in the ceiling throughout the house and garage.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.....Thanks
Looking for a tv to watch the Lakers play this season. :D

djunkie
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I was looking at those over the weekend and that is what got me started on all of this. They looked pretty good to me. Isn't the Visio a plain wrap made by some other major mfr?
JY would know best about who makes them. I went to Costco to buy a Sharp Aqious a year ago. Once we got there I noticed the Vizio. The picture looked the same to me but like I said I'm no expert. For the price the Sharp was gonna cost I ended up buying 2 Vizios. A 47" for the family room and a 32" for my bedroom. So far we're really happy with them. :D

phebus
10-16-2007, 12:43 PM
With that in the garage, it will be like going to a drive in movie. :D

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 12:45 PM
No, they use parts from other manufacturers like the panels in there plasmas are from LG, but the electronics around them is made by the lowest bidder and are not tested as well. My inlaws have a 42" Vizio LCD, they payed like a grand for it, they have not had any problems. I do recommend you go to the Vizio website and purchase there extended warranty though, it is really inexpensive and I think it is worth it, specailly with Vizios high failure rate.

OSidePat
10-16-2007, 12:46 PM
You got to be kidding me ..your posting over a Garage TV ? any piece of crap TV will do

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 12:51 PM
JY would know best about who makes them. I went to Costco to buy a Sharp Aqious a year ago. Once we got there I noticed the Vizio. The picture looked the same to me but like I said I'm no expert. For the price the Sharp was gonna cost I ended up buying 2 Vizios. A 47" for the family room and a 32" for my bedroom. So far we're really happy with them. :D
It is hard to compare TVs at the store, they are never setup correctly, usually torch mode trying to get your attention and the conditions at the stores are never what it would be like in somebodies room/environment. They are not even setup with the same connections, some are playing DVDs, some regular SD and some HD. At least no matter what TV one chooses, it will always look better at home.:)

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 12:59 PM
No, they use parts from other manufacturers like the panels in there plasmas are from LG, but the electronics around them is made by the lowest bidder and are not tested as well. My inlaws have a 42" Vizio LCD, they payed like a grand for it, they have not had any problems. I do recommend you go to the Vizio website and purchase there extended warranty though, it is really inexpensive and I think it is worth it, specailly with Vizios high failure rate.
I will remember that if I go the Visio route.
If you buy from Costco I thought they were really good about taking back electronics that fail? Maybe they have changed their policy though....
Looking for a tv to watch the Lakers play this season. :D
Yep...that is why I am putting up chicken wire around it. You know like the Roadhouse movie. Load up on the vegatables and fling em' at the screen :)
By the way....570 AM is reporting that Kobe being traded is imminent and Dallas is the front runner.
You got to be kidding me ..your posting over a Garage TV ? any piece of crap TV will do
Think of it as a sports bar or maybe a pool hall......that is kind of what is going on. I have an extra old school TV but that isn't going to cut it out there.
It is hard to compare TVs at the store, they are never setup correctly, usually torch mode trying to get your attention and the conditions at the stores are never what it would be like in somebodies room/environment. They are not even setup with the same connections, some are playing DVDs, some regular SD and some HD. At least no matter what TV one chooses, it will always look better at home.:)
Never thought of that but it makes a lot of sense Juan.

djunkie
10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
If you buy from Costco I thought they were really good about taking back electronics that fail? Maybe they have changed their policy though....
From what i heard they have changed their return policy but earlier this year I had a problem with my riverhouse tv. It was 2 years old and I brought it back to Costco and the exchanged it with no problems. So who knows.

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
They changed it on the 1st of the year, now you can exchange it withing the 1st 90 days and they add another year to the warranty. Pretty sure that is it, but somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 01:06 PM
From what i heard they have changed their return policy but earlier this year I had a problem with my riverhouse tv. It was 2 years old and I brought it back to Costco and the exchanged it with no problems. So who knows.
Thats because that TV was grandfather to the old policy, anything purchased after the 1st of 07 is under there new policy.

djunkie
10-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Thats because that TV was grandfather to the old policy, anything purchased after the 1st of 07 is under there new policy.
Gotcha. Like I said I wasn't sure about what the new terms were. I just brought it in and walked out with a new one. :D

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Just talked to my niece who works for Costco and she said Juan is right. You could get lucky and get a warehouse manager that may let you slide but they are really trying to stick to this. She agreed with the grandfather thing also.
FWIW...She also indicated that they get tons of returns on the Visio products. Her husband who worked for Costco until recently (now an Oceanside LEO) thinks that a lot of the failures are caused by incorrect installations.

phebus
10-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Gotcha. Like I said I wasn't sure about what the new terms were. I just brought it in and walked out with a new one. :D
You bought a tv? I thought most of your stuff accidently fell off a truck at the docks. :D

djunkie
10-16-2007, 01:18 PM
You bought a tv? I thought most of your stuff accidently fell off a truck at the docks. :D
I wish............:rolleyes:
By the way, you know anyone looking for 200 pairs of imported sandals? :D :D :D

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Rick....Did you decide on a TV yet?

phebus
10-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Rick....Did you decide on a TV yet?
Since mine is going outdoors, I am going with the cheapest LCD set i can get at WalMart. Not sure of size yet, somewhere between 32" and 42".
Need to get someone over here to sort out my coax cables and get the feed hooked up first. Then need to get a Dish reciever and I'll be ready for the tv.

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Since mine is going outdoors, I am going with the cheapest LCD set i can get at WalMart. Not sure of size yet, somewhere between 32" and 42".
Need to get someone over here to sort out my coax cables and get the feed hooked up first. Then need to get a Dish reciever and I'll be ready for the tv.
My wire is a pain in the ass. Whoever installed it left no play what-so-ever :mad: Fockers.....
The good thing is that going thru the attic to the garage should be relatively easy.
I could always just take the TV out of the guest room and use that but I was hoping for something a little nicer in the "Sports Bar"

Jyruiz
10-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Just talked to my niece who works for Costco and she said Juan is right. You could get lucky and get a warehouse manager that may let you slide but they are really trying to stick to this. She agreed with the grandfather thing also.
FWIW...She also indicated that they get tons of returns on the Visio products. Her husband who worked for Costco until recently (now an Oceanside LEO) thinks that a lot of the failures are caused by incorrect installations.
Wish that was true, but pro installers don't even want to install those sets. Pro calibrators don't want to touch them either. I don't want to hurt anybodies feelings, but they are considered ticking time bombs.

DILLIGAF
10-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Wish that was true, but pro installers don't even want to install those sets. Pro calibrators don't want to touch them either. I don't want to hurt anybodies feelings, but they are considered ticking time bombs.
I just called him and he is in the corner crying Juan. Thanks a lot....lol
There are telephone systems that we won't go near for the same reasons. Ticking time bombs.
I hear what you are saying and won't consider the Visio without an extended warranty. Probably will go another route anyhow and I appreciate the honest opinions.