PDA

View Full Version : Golf Carts ??????????

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm looking for another golf cart and wanted to go gas this time and the people I've talked with have said they were about the same as far as speeds. I went to the EZGO website and they say the performance of electric at 18mph (which i confirmed on my old cart GPS) and the gas at 13mph which wouldnt be acceptable, hell I thought the electric was slow but to lose 30% speedwise is unacceptable. Yeah, I know about re-gearing (about $550) the gas and different motors but I wanted to stay stock. Any thoughts:idea: Thanks, NSF

Daddy_G
10-17-2007, 08:03 AM
My limited understanding is that with an upgraded motor and controller, you can make an electric go as fast as you want.
Besides, gasser are noisey and they stink and you hafta put gas in them!;)

Brewzed
10-17-2007, 08:07 AM
I used to have a gas club car. If I did it again, I would go electric for sure.
I put a pipe on my gas car and you couldn't hear yourself think. Electric motors are more torquey and cheaper to upgrade than the gas ones.

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Yep, thats true Daddy, but your source of power is still just those batteries and the faster they go the more power they use and the range goes down accordingly. We were able to go from N. PaloVerde to Rotary Park and back easliy with our old cart. I'm told that with the gas you can regear them and put Honda motors and they will approach 25mph, but that gets pretty expensive. Maybe I'm stuck going slow:( Thanks, NSF

skyskier
10-17-2007, 08:19 AM
I've run both here on the ranch. The 1st one was a gas engine. LOTS of dirt here, in fact ALL dirt. The gas engine air cleaner HAS to be cleaned almost daily. I didn't :( After rebuilding the gas engine 3 times I went electric. As for power difference, you can change out a "chip" it's just a small electical plug in type deal. BIGGGGGG difference in the power boost. The electrical cart has virtually NO moving parts, maintanence is keeping the batteries full of water, I'm going on 7 years on current batteries. Are you using this strictly at the river? Heat will eat the batteries, just like in the boat. I haul hay bales, lumber & tools,etc., and had NINE kids in it last weekend. Put heavy duty rear springs on it for sure. I have bought several from Silver State golf carts in Henderson Nevada, this guy gets the turnovers from the golf courses, keeps the best for himself and then turns them over at a great price.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Yamaha just released "The Drive" golf Cart line.
Supposed to be a revolutionary drive train design and other cool features.
Ya may want to check it out.
We like our EZ Go elect. Plenty of pep and quiet.

havaduner
10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
My EZ go is electric, I switched it over to a 48 volt set up (6, 8 volt batteries) from Performance golf cars in Ontario. 27 mph, batteries last for quite a while, (I've done a ton of desert exploring with it) and I'm on my fourth year on these batteries. I check the batteries regularly, and make sure to keep the water level up. Best of all, it's quiet!

OutCole'd
10-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Have you thought about getting a Rhino??:D :D

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Have you thought about getting a Rhino??:D :D
You are one funny guy Bill:D NSF

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 09:27 AM
My EZ go is electric, I switched it over to a 48 volt set up (6, 8 volt batteries) from Performance golf cars in Ontario. 27 mph, batteries last for quite a while, (I've done a ton of desert exploring with it) and I'm on my fourth year on these batteries. I check the batteries regularly, and make sure to keep the water level up. Best of all, it's quiet!
Are you serious, that would be very acceptable. How about going up hill, I read that if speeds go up then torque goes down?? my old cart really suffered on the hills:( I'll have to check this out, thanks. NSF

Smokin Joe
10-17-2007, 09:37 AM
You never said what type of driving you do? for mostly park cruising no need to go beyond speed limit. I have a electric ez-go and a gas ez-go limo
the electric cart is the one that gets most use it's quite and it's smooth power band make it a joy to drive. The limo is fun also but the motor noise and exhaust smell takes some joy out of it. If I had to do it again a electric limo is the way to go.
joe

Dave C
10-17-2007, 09:40 AM
ya me too??.. my electric got its ass kicked on hills...:(
I know there are upgrades for speed but do any of them help on hills??:confused:
How about going up hill, I read that if speeds go up then torque goes down?? my old cart really suffered on the hills:( I'll have to check this out, thanks. NSF

Ziggy
10-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Interesting...I've often wondered about the range of electric carts and how the range is affected if long hills are involved vs. the gas carts.
Electric seems popular, but I thought gas might be more versitile as far as stopping for fuel on long runs/drives.
Djunkie used to have a soupped up gas cart, see what he thinks.....

phebus
10-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I've golfed some golf courses with some long steep hills, and the electric golf carts really slow down and seem to labor to get up them, but always do and seem to run for a long time between charges. How to the hills effect the gas carts in comparison?

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I've golfed some golf courses with some long steep hills, and the electric golf carts really slow down and seem to labor to get up them, but always do and seem to run for a long time between charges. How to the hills effect the gas carts in comparison?
Thats my next question:D And I would use it for clucking around town on the street. Now if I find an affordable hot rod this weekend the golf cart is dead, of course I said affordable and nothing is affordable anymore:( How I wish I had some of my old collectable cars back now, 67 GT500 Shelby/427 side oiler, 70 Chevelle 454, 23 T-bucket, 70 Corvette 454 LS 5 for a few recent ones, probably over $200 K right there huh?:( NSF

Smokin Joe
10-17-2007, 12:06 PM
I have a 03 EZ-Go PDS 36 volt cart with the speed chip it does 18mph with stock tires, for $1900. It clean and cheep and if you upgrade the controler you still have some pocket change left for a miller.
joe

Magic34
10-17-2007, 12:16 PM
I had a 24 HP Honda in my golf cart and I could dune it. If you are getting a cart and run gas, find a nice used one with the Honda. Super reliable and can at least pull the hills around town.
I think I topped out at 35 MPH as well.

havaduner
10-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Are you serious, that would be very acceptable. How about going up hill, I read that if speeds go up then torque goes down?? my old cart really suffered on the hills:( I'll have to check this out, thanks. NSF
Tons of torgue! It goes up hill no problem, in fact, I've actually started to go up stuff with my daughter sitting on the back seat, and had the front wheels come off the ground! With just me on the cart, flat ground, doing a power brake type move, I can wheelie enough to drag the rear step if I want to.
Hi- Performance golf cars in Ontario, (909)923-1973 (sorry for the SPAM) give them a call, tell them Matt from Havasu Landing gave you the number. These guys are actually doing a ton of stuff in the electric car biz for the Big 3 now, but I still see a few golf carts go through occasionally.

TheCarDudes
10-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Bobby,
We have a gas cart in Havi. Hard to believe that according to your numbers it is only doing 13mph. It sure feels something like 20 mph or better. If you haven't bought anything before the next time we come to Havasu, your welcome to take ours around the block a few times and see what you think.
2005 EZ-GO Gas. All stock and lifted. Runs great. We take it to Basha's, Ace Hardware. Nice ride.
George

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Bobby,
We have a gas cart in Havi. Hard to believe that according to your numbers it is only doing 13mph. It sure feels something like 20 mph or better. If you haven't bought anything before the next time we come to Havasu, your welcome to take ours around the block a few times and see what you think.
2005 EZ-GO Gas. All stock and lifted. Runs great. We take it to Basha's, Ace Hardware. Nice ride.
George
Thanks George, my numbers are from EZGO's website. I have a line on a 2006 with literally 3 hrs on it, lift kit, tires&whls, nice sound system, rear seat, billet accessories etc and the man wants it gone, doesnt use it. I'm at $4500 and we are close, only a couple of hundy's apart. What do you think? He says he removed the governor a (didnt know they had one) and it goes 20mph:confused: That would be ok with me, I just couldnt handle 13MPH. Bobby

havaduner
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Speed sounds about right, remember, governer or not, top speed will increase with taller tires, sounds like a nice cart.

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
No body has addressed the subject of gas carts slowing on hills like electric ones do, that really bothered me especially here where its all hills. Do the gas one do better????:confused: NSF

Brewzed
10-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Bobby,
George
Hey George, Scott and I tweeked the govenor on that thing as much as we could. We both had the same carts, but that blue one would always pull away from mine.

Havasu1986
10-17-2007, 02:19 PM
No body has addressed the subject of gas carts slowing on hills like electric ones do, that really bothered me especially here where its all hills. Do the gas one do better????:confused: NSF
My gasser goes about 18-20. I'm above the high school and its ok coming up Palo Verde So. :)

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 02:33 PM
My gasser goes about 18-20. I'm above the high school and its ok coming up Palo Verde So. :)
Thanks Bob, thats what I wanted to know. The speeds EZGO qoutes seem low to me. I realize that hills will effect anything but my old cart struggled bad. Just want to make an informed buying decision for once:( NSF

havaduner
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey NSF, get a hold of Throttle, he has an EZ GO gas cart, and he drives the thing everywhere around Havasu, maybe you can try his for an extended test drive?

phebus
10-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Bobby, I saw in another thread that you had decided to go with a gas cart over electric.
What were the deciding factors?

riverroyal
10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
resale,thats the reason.Ever see a electric cart in the desert?you might,but it sucks.Gas always sell faster than electric.Plus the newer carts wont break,gas motors will run for ever.I have Yamaha G-max 2006.we love it

Boa1277
10-21-2007, 10:33 AM
My buddy has the Yamaha Gas Cart with the 4 stroke motor. He lifted it and did the big tires. He did take off the governor and we climb cocktail hill across from River Reflections no problem with 4 big guys and a cooler full of beer in it. I am pretty sure we can go over 20mph no probelm. Weve looped this cart out a couple of times and lost the cooler going up the steep hills. I really dont notice the engine noise but then again I have never ridden in a electric lifted cart just the electric carts at the golf course and those are no comparison. Good Luck

TOBTEK
10-21-2007, 10:42 AM
SIMPLE...... if you want a quiet family campground cruiser, get an electric cart. If you want to go out in the sand and off road, Go get a Rhino...PERIOD!

Boa1277
10-21-2007, 10:51 AM
SIMPLE...... if you want a quiet family campground cruiser, get an electric cart. If you want to go out in the sand and off road, Go get a Rhino...PERIOD!
Personally I will stick with my Class 1 car to go in the sand and off road, if I want to go across the street and have a beer while wathcing a great sunset at the river, bullshitting and laughing the whole time I prefer my buddies golf cart. Just my likes and dislikes though, I guess if I wanted to be like everyone else I would go get a rhino.

Not So Fast
10-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Bobby, I saw in another thread that you had decided to go with a gas cart over electric.
What were the deciding factors?
Hell, right now I'm pretty confused about the whole thing Rick after losing a very good deal on a late model gas cart because the guy didnt have what I need to register it here for the street. Oh well, Ive got more time than money so I'll just keep looking.
One thing for sure is that with all the input about types, motors, lifted, stock, registration, and ownership papers I've learned a lot so thats a good thing. If it's meant to be then it will I guess!! I'm ready to buy when the right one comes up, I think:confused: NSF .....<<<... PS no rhinos for me thanks, and my use will be for the street period

phebus
10-21-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm watching this thread Bobby, because I would like to have a Rhino, but with my bad back the reality is that whatever I get will see the street 99% of the time, and a golf cart would work just fine for that. When I want to go out in the dirt, I've got the Jeep.

Not So Fast
10-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm watching this thread Bobby, because I would like to have a Rhino, but with my bad back the reality is that whatever I get will see the street 99% of the time, and a golf cart would work just fine for that. When I want to go out in the dirt, I've got the Jeep.
Gotcha, and ride in the Rhino for a while before you buy is all I can say, especially for the street. I liked the speed but thats about it.
I am just not into dirt so thats not even a possibility anymore and like you, MY ACHING BACK!!! My old golf cart was so much more comfortable IMO. NSF

Throttle
10-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey NSF, get a hold of Throttle, he has an EZ GO gas cart, and he drives the thing everywhere around Havasu, maybe you can try his for an extended test drive?
yep, he's got the offer, just be carefull, once you've driven it, you may want to buy it...:idea:

Not So Fast
10-21-2007, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=Throttle;2852029]yep, he's got the offer, just be carefull, once you've driven it, you may want to buy it...:idea:[/QUO
I've seen it and first chance Cam has I'll take it out, but first $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$????? ???????????????? No sense putting the cart before the horse ;) NSF