PDA

View Full Version : What was your first job...

fat rat
10-18-2007, 02:31 PM
And how old were when you started. I was 14 worked at the family restaurant, started washing dishes (busting suds) and moved up to bus boy later. They were some fun times and taught me some valuable lessons.

Ziggy
10-18-2007, 02:33 PM
news paper boy..age 10

Miss Perfect
10-18-2007, 02:34 PM
I was the blue light special girl at Kmart when I was 16. No joke...I was the one on the loud speaker saying..."attention Kmart Shoppers...".

topless
10-18-2007, 02:43 PM
16, I working in a doctors office. I guess you could say I was playing nurse.

havaduner
10-18-2007, 02:45 PM
14 years old, summer job running a machine that made zip lock bags.

XtrmWakeborder
10-18-2007, 02:45 PM
15...server/ bus boy for a catering company

Jbb
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Same job I still have today....Pixie dust spreader ...on the Tilt O Whirl.......Been carny since age 10...:)

Cole Trickle
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
I started as a file clerk/gopher at the family buiss when I was 12 for allowance
first W2 job
16 y/o Dish washer at Souplantation:)
I was the only guy that spoke english;)
They promoted me to server/bus boy and I quit...lol (still min wage and I made $2.00 in tips the first month and had to clean alot of table with dirty diapers left on them:eek: )

photo chick
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
I was 12-13, my family started a pizza chain, Vincenzo's Pizza, I worked in the Valencia shop during the week and the Glendale shop on the weekends.

DILLIGAF
Had so many jobs early on...One that I had when I was 16 was driving an ice cream truck with my buddy. His Dad was trying to keep us out of trouble by letting us drive this friggin' truck around the "hood"...lol It didn't work to well :)

djunkie
Worked for my family selling Christmas trees. Had to be around 8 or 9 when I started and did it every year up until I was in my 20's. Christmas is NOT my favorite holiday thats for sure. :mad: :mad:

pw_Tony
10-18-2007, 02:49 PM
13 years old. Worked in a body shop, doing body work and paint ;)
15 was bending, welding, and fabricating stuff for offroad
17 started working in a machine shop and building horsepower engines.
People see how young I am and wonder how experienced I can be with stuff.... :D

Cole Trickle
10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Worked for my family selling Christmas trees. Had to be around 8 or 9 when I started and did it every year up until I was in my 20's. Christmas is NOT my favorite holiday thats for sure. :mad: :mad:
your parents own a tree lot?:D

djunkie
10-18-2007, 02:51 PM
your parents own a tree lot?:D
We had a few. Even owned a farm in Oregon. Sold it a few years back. My grandparents and my aunt still have their farms and still sell trees.

photo chick
10-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Had so many jobs early on...One that I had when I was 16 was driving an ice cream truck with my buddy. His Dad was trying to keep us out of trouble by letting us drive this friggin' truck around the "hood"...lol It didn't work to well :)
The ice cream man was always the shadiest guy around....;)

OutCole'd
10-18-2007, 02:54 PM
I was 12-13, my family started a pizza chain, Vincenzo's Pizza, I worked in the Valencia shop during the week and the Glendale shop on the weekends.
When I lived in Valencia, we went there ALL the time. Best Pizza I've ever had!!!!

djunkie
10-18-2007, 02:55 PM
When I lived in Valencia, we went there ALL the time. Best Pizza I've ever had!!!!
Kiss ass!!!!!!:D :D

McIntyrelocal
10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
running cnc machine and deburing parts when i was 14.

topless
10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
The Ice cream truck drivers in Norco all wear turbins and sell fire crackers.:eek:

photo chick
10-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks...I loved that stuff too! :)

OutCole'd
10-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Kiss ass!!!!!!:D :D
Shut up!
My first job was working construction with my Dad at 14.
My first real job was building Hang Gliders, that was a very cool place to work. No money, but lots of fun.

topless
10-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks...I loved that stuff too! :)So did you spit on the pizzas or did Rob?:confused:

WILDERTHANU
10-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Sweeping floors and deburring parts age 7, same shop I now run. Almost 20 years ago... HOLY SHIT!!
I still sweep the floor..

photo chick
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
So did you spit on the pizzas or did Rob?:confused:
That was Rob's job.....I just dropped them on annoying customers :)

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Thinking back and all here is one story:
So Charles (my buddy) was a pretty big black guy. He was always talking black/white issues and all and was a little intimadating even a 16. We use to have a little trouble with the police in our hometown. Mostly minor stuff but they would mess with us and we would mess with them. Anyhow, Charles and I are driving around selling our ice cream when we saw the cop car :). He was driving and decided to follow the cop car very closely. After a short distance the cop pulls over and so did we. We are just sitting in the truck so the cop gets out and comes over to us. Instructs us to get out of the truck. Proceeds to ask us what the heck do we think we are doing.
Charles' response to the cop and this is word for word:
"What if I just reach over and take your gun from you?"
I was like WTF! Charles must have lost his mind....and shit.
The cop (thank god) knew he was just dealing with a smartass kid and thru it right back at Charles. Then told us to quit ****in' around or he would run us both in.
Nowadays that would not fly.....we would have had a gun pulled on us for sure.
Ahhhhhhh, the fun times Charles and I had :)

Dude! Sweet!
10-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Commercial dairy farm - 14

Cole Trickle
10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
We had a few. Even owned a farm in Oregon. Sold it a few years back. My grandparents and my aunt still have their farms and still sell trees.
Can you get me a deal on a 6' Douglas Fir?:D:devil:

djunkie
10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
So Charles (my buddy) was a pretty big black guy. He was always talking black/white issues and all and was a little intimadating even a 16. We use to have a little trouble with the police in our hometown. Mostly minor stuff but they would mess with us and we would mess with them. Anyhow, Charles and I are driving around selling our ice cream when we saw the cop car :). He was driving and decided to follow the cop car very closely. After a short distance the cop pulls over and so did we. We are just sitting in the truck so the cop gets out and comes over to us. Instructs us to get out of the truck. Proceeds to ask us what the heck do we think we are doing.
The cop (thank god) knew he was just dealing with a smartass kid and thru it right back at Charles. Then told us to quit ****in' around or he would run us both in.
By any chance was Charles also known as Big Worm? :D :D

djunkie
10-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Can you get me a deal on a 6' Douglas Fir?:D:devil:
Only cheap bastards buy Doug Firs. Its all about the Noble and Grand Firs. :D :D
Seriously though, buy one from Home Depot. You can't beat their prices. Thats why I'm not in the business anymore. :rolleyes:

~FM
10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
And how old were when you started. I was 14 worked at the family restaurant, started washing dishes (busting suds) and moved up to bus boy later. They were some fun times and taught me some valuable lessons.
video/convenience store clerk at age 14 ... for some reason one of my favorite movies ever is Clerks :D

Cole Trickle
10-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Only cheap bastards buy Doug Firs. Its all about the Noble and Grand Firs. :D :D
Seriously though, buy one from Home Depot. You can't beat their prices. Thats why I'm not in the business anymore. :rolleyes:
Sorry for putting you out of business;)
<----- not spending over 21.99 on a stupid X mas (Forced Holiday) tree:devil: :D

djunkie
10-18-2007, 03:11 PM
<----- not spending over 21.99 on a stupid X mas (Forced Holiday) tree:devil: :D
Me either.
<-------- Has never paid for a Christmas tree. :D

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 03:15 PM
By any chance was Charles also known as Big Worm? :D :D
Naw...he was always Charles and still is to this day. My sister always said he should have went into comedy.
Man....we did some crazy but mostly silly shit. Again, nowadays everything is dealt with harshly though. We grew up in a pretty small town and did anything we wanted. No way that kids could get away with what we did. We got caught many times and usually just got a stern talking to by the police. My Dad and his Dad were military and always away or we would have been beat down pretty severly. Actually it helped that we had older brothers doing much more serious stuff than us :)
I am sure all of us have had a friend like Charles. You know...the one friend that you always seemed to get in trouble with. Still friends to this day by the way :)

H20 Toie
10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Made $1.00 hour on a farm in North Dakota
Only wrecked one truck and one plow that year, glad i didn't have to pay to get them fixed

Cole Trickle
10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Me either.
<-------- Has never paid for a Christmas tree. :D
Jen gets one as her birthday present every year:D
We don't even un wrap it from the netting until it's in the stand (easy to transport and freaks out the guy at the register;) )....strangely we keep getting decent trees..lol:D

djunkie
10-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Jen gets one as her birthday present every year:D
We don't even un wrap it from the netting until it's in the stand (easy to transport and freaks out the guy at the register;) )....strangely we keep getting decent trees..lol:D
Every year I would have have a couple come on the lot and do the same thing. They wanted one of the wrapped up ones. I guess they liked the surprise when they get home. :D :D

Cole Trickle
10-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Every year I would have have a couple come on the lot and do the same thing. They wanted one of the wrapped up ones. I guess they liked the surprise when they get home. :D :D
makes it more exciting....the best part is seeing all the decorations and shit get flung off when you cut the rope;):D :jawdrop:

Kachina26
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Paperboy age 11, been workin' ever since.

milkmoney
10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
working on the family dairy farm 365 days a year at twice a day still in the milk buisness just at the other end..

milkmoney
10-18-2007, 03:32 PM
and no pay for 18 years just a place to sleep and food..

work2play
10-18-2007, 03:34 PM
At the age of twelve I worked in the back of a grocery store and sorted pop bottles into wooden crates. I sorted them according to the distributor and the brands his sold. That was the first paying job I ever got. I know, I know, refillable glass pop bottles and wooden crates dates me. The first non paying job was feeding cows at night. I think that started the night I came out of the womb.

gabe79
10-18-2007, 03:36 PM
12 or 13 in the machine shop..............still here:eek: :D

YeLLowBoaT
10-18-2007, 03:38 PM
12 went to work for a fish breeder. Cleaning tanks, water changes, mating pairs, bag fish for shiping, sexing fish and culling.
That is if you don't count me going to work with my grandfather painting starting at about 8 during the summer... last year he admited to me that the reason why he took me was him and his partner both had trouble getting down on thier knees to paint the base/ cut in along the base.

Her454
10-18-2007, 03:41 PM
16 years old. Worked as a waitress/cashier at a Restaurant called Sirloin Stockade. Worked there with a couple of my friends and we had a blast closing at nights. It was right on the main drag in Yuma and we could see all of our friends cruising when we got off work. :D

rivrrts429
10-18-2007, 03:46 PM
I was 14 and talked this old man into letting me work "under the table" (since I was underage to work) at his tree nursery. At 14 years old he used to make me transport huge palm trees from the one nursery to his other about 5 miles away in an old Ford F100. I could barely see over the steering wheel but I was a pro when I got my license at 16:D I stayed there for a year or two but laugh evertime I picture myself at that age driving trees

Jyruiz
10-18-2007, 03:47 PM
14 and worked at McDonalds, I lied about my age.:D

Parker Dreamin
10-18-2007, 03:52 PM
First paying job was at the age of 15 1/2, worked at Sweet Jills Bakery in Belmont Shore. So many ladies around there, wow....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Paper or plastic? Only in those days, it was only paper. :D

Pheelin Phroggy
10-18-2007, 03:56 PM
14---paper route
15--- Kentucky Fried Chicken cook.... Beach Blvd near Orangethorpe.. a long time ago...

riverroyal
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
news paper boy..age 10
a covered wagon?:D

RitcheyRch
10-18-2007, 04:11 PM
I was 15 and was a dishwasher at Mikes Pizza in Mission Hills. Later moved to the Van Nuys store and was a cook.
My friend, Dennis has a bluegrass band called "The Whitcher Bros" and they played on some weekends at the Valencia store.

XtrmWakeborder
10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Haha sounds like my buddy when we were about 14 or so. He would go up to cops and say "hey thats the same kind of gun I have want to see?" He did this as he was reaching around his back. lol

WestTNRiverRat
10-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Skate key boy at our local skating rink. Didn't pay too much but I got to look up the girls skirts when I was putting their skates on their shoes. :D :D

YeLLowBoaT
10-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Skate key boy at our local skating rink. Didn't pay too much but I got to look up the girls skirts when I was putting their skates on their shoes. :D :D
Now thats a life time hot boater right there.

EAZYKILLER2006
10-18-2007, 04:46 PM
lol naugles when I was
15 years old

Baja Big Dog
10-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Barros pizza
and International trap and skeet range in El Monte
and now a male prostitute!!:D And no, Im not making any money!!!:eek:

MAINEVENT
10-18-2007, 04:49 PM
12 My neighbor owned a catering company and i would chop everything up and prep for the event... during that summer... For 10 bucks a day... Slavery i tell you... Next summer started working for my godfather who owns a Fitness Equip Retail Shop just cleaning the shop and vacumming... for 4 bucks an hours... stood their until i turned 18...
my first W2 job was as a Pipelayer at 18... and still laying pipe, 40 feet at a time hahahah

hkunz
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
10 - farm hand, feeding cattle, driving tractor, etc.
12 - driving truck
13 - got DL, driving crops to town
All the same job, farm hand, just different parts of the job as I got taller and could see over the steering wheel:D

ELIMINAT THIS
10-18-2007, 04:52 PM
13.....Deckhand on charter boats in Westport,Wa.(salmon fishing capitol of the world)

oilfieldtrash
10-18-2007, 04:56 PM
washed water trucks at the age of 13 for 7.50 an hour i made alot of money that summer ! well it seemed like alot!

Biglue
10-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Paperboy age 11, been workin' ever since.
BOut the same here.

HocusPocus
10-18-2007, 05:06 PM
I was 16, 1976, maybe 1977?? Worked as a stock clerk/box boy at All American Hardware in Downey. It was a great place to work back then, lots of good memories in that place.

maxwedge
10-18-2007, 05:07 PM
13 yo. Detasseling corn. It's a midwest thing.:D

topless
10-18-2007, 05:09 PM
BOut the same here.When did you start mowing lawns?

riverbound
10-18-2007, 05:19 PM
13, I was EGBAR...the simple green aligator. would walk around in a 8'tall alligator costume at trade shows, tent sales, new stores etc...
$50 for 4 hours of work... I was Ballin' at that age :D

scooooter7
10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Mowing lawns in the summer for $2 to $3 front and back and shoveling side walks in the winter for a quarter. All that started in 1967, I was 11 and been working ever since. Also raked leaves in the fall and dug gardens in the spring, some paid some not. Do kids still do that kind of stuff??

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Sounds like you and Sportin' Wood have a lot in common. Needless to say, we are headed to Montana to go skiing for Christmas. :)

Boatcop
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
1968 - 13 years old hawking Racing Forms at Hollywood Park.
Can you imagine how long a little blond haired surfer kid would last, these days, riding a Sting Ray bike down Prairie Ave from Hawthorne to Century Blvd?

sdpm
10-18-2007, 06:28 PM
11 or 12 years old. Had a paper route on the weekends where I had to deliver about 200 papers. My mom would get up at 4am with me and help me fold them and load them onto my bike and sholder bag. I hated it!!:mad:
Everyday after school, I would go to my friends house and we would catch crawdads and sell them to the local tackle shops on the weekends. My friends name was "Juan Vargas" Paco to me ! Yep, today he sits in Sacramento as Assembly Man Juan Vargas. His family had a chicken ranch close to us with a killer crawdad creek that ran thruoug it. We did pretty good selling those and it was fun. :D

coolchange
10-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Started goin with my Dad doin pools when I was 8. Didn't have a summer or vacation off after that. Made a dollar a day. I remember when I thought I'd had enough of that and on the last day of summer I said I wanted a raise. Now I want 2 dollars! 100% raise:eek: . In high school I started my own route and was pullin in $120-140 a week when my friends were busin tables or flippin burgers to try and make $40-50 a week part time. Built it up and sold the business when I was 30 ( with over 20 years exp.) and haven't been able to make as much money since.:mad:

callbob4homes
10-18-2007, 06:32 PM
age 12 or so, bagging groceries at the commissary (military brat) in Ankara Turkey, circa 1963. Bag 6 bags of groceries, carry out to the car and officers wives give you a dime, enlisted a quarter or more. and I remember sirloin stockade in Yuma HER454! used to cruz thru there but probably before you were driving:eek: Yuma High class of 70

Havasu_Dreamin
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
13 - end of a filling line stacking product boxes on a pallet.....for $3.35 an hour...

HemiDude
10-18-2007, 06:51 PM
BLOW JOB! :D :D :D :D :D

HemiDude
10-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Can you imagine how long a little blond haired surfer kid would last, these days, riding a Sting Ray bike down Prairie Ave from Hawthorne to Century Blvd?
Especialleee if they knew he would become a cop all grown up.:eek:

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 06:53 PM
age 12 or so, bagging groceries at the commissary (military brat) in Ankara Turkey, circa 1963. Bag 6 bags of groceries, carry out to the car and officers wives give you a dime, enlisted a quarter or more. and I remember sirloin stockade in Yuma HER454! used to cruz thru there but probably before you were driving:eek: Yuma High class of 70
The baggers on the base at Ft Ord, CA made some good money......for thier age I mean.

BoatPI
10-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Shoe shine boy at 25 cents a pair.

Bradman
10-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I did the paper boy deal for a while also. I hated Sunday's. Those papers were so damm big I had to make two or three trips back and forth on my bike. Plus, I had to get up at 5:00am rain or shine.:jawdrop:

Caribbean Jet
10-18-2007, 07:41 PM
14 years o9ld and a dog groomer. I thought that it would be a good start to be a vet.

shueman
10-18-2007, 07:54 PM
13 - throwing the Mirror News
16'17 - Summers at Glasspar in the R&D Shop :cool:
19 - Grocery Bagger @Market Basket

77charger
10-18-2007, 08:23 PM
supermarket grocery bagger 16 years old 3.35 an hour.
Every now and then when we go to the market and there is no bagger i take over and bag my own groceries kinda funny whe the cashier starts moving faster and i can keep up they usually say thanks too i just tell them that was my first job no big deal to help out besides it speeds up the line for others.

ThongMagnet
10-18-2007, 09:40 PM
detasling corn. $2.10hr+Lunch :D :D :D

mykidsdaddy
10-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I was the blue light special girl at Kmart when I was 16. No joke...I was the one on the loud speaker saying..."attention Kmart Shoppers...".
TYFSAK (thank you for shopping at Kmart)

whiteworks
10-18-2007, 10:10 PM
At age 10 my buddy and I went into business. We bought some masking tape, stencils, and spray paint and painted addresses on curbs. We had a tandem bike with a Ghetto blaster and supplys strapped on the back. pretty lucrative business for 5th graders. funny thing is we havin been making money together for 20 years now. seems more like work now.

photo chick
10-19-2007, 04:27 AM
13 yo. Detasseling corn. It's a midwest thing.:D
That has to be booooring!!! :D

hoolign
10-19-2007, 04:54 AM
15 started on drilling rigs :)

mykidsdaddy
10-19-2007, 05:05 AM
Started selling flower seeds at 8. Got em from the back page of my comic books from a company called Burpee! Then started mowing lawns, had a TV Guide route, then paper route, always mowed lawns whenever I could. Good source of cash. First job with a paycheck was washing dishes at a Texaco truck stop 24 hour coffee shop on I-80 right outside of Fairfield Ca. I was 14, been workin for 40 years now!

Taylor923
10-19-2007, 05:09 AM
I was 12, busing tables at my Dads restaurant, Mr. Catfish, used to be in Rockwall,Tx. Later changed to Cajun Catfish, I'm sure some of you DFW folks remember it.

Shreve"T"
10-19-2007, 05:35 AM
At age 13-14 moving Chickens from Ramona CA to San Marcos CA.. Boy what FUN that wasn't....Chickens Shiting all over the place scrathing your arms up as you pull 4 chickens out of one cage and shove in another.......:D :D :D :D

photo chick
10-19-2007, 05:39 AM
At age 13-14 moving Chickens from Ramona CA to San Marcos CA.. Boy what FUN that wasn't....Chickens Shiting all over the place scrathing your arms up as you pull 4 chickens out of one cage and shove in another.......:D :D :D :D
Ewyyuk!! Chicken farms have to be the worst smell I've ever encountered!!:yuk:

YeLLowBoaT
10-19-2007, 05:41 AM
I take it you have never been to a turkey farm... its 3x worse.

Wicky
10-19-2007, 05:55 AM
California Raisins tv commercial. 5 yrs old. Did over 20 National commercials. I'm 2 jobs away from a full SAG pension. If anyone needs an overaged kid that is ugmo, has a receding hairline, still not beer bellied, still can mx, can water/snow ski like a mofo, can fly a boat, actor, I am the right man for the job. I can fart on cue. Burp with the best. I'm no Danny Bonaduci. Spent some money on partying and lots of money on big boy toyz. :D
I definitely need a retirement plan better than the one I have. I need a new drag motor for my Allison.
Any producers/directors/writers out there?
Mow!!
Wicky

Shreve"T"
10-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Here in Louisiana they call it the SMELL of money.....Let me tell ya my EX Girl friends Brother raises Chickens for Pilgrims Pride and hes knocking down some big $$$$$$......:D :D :D :D

Cigalert
10-19-2007, 06:04 AM
At 8 I would go to work with my Dad almost every Sunday 4am to 3pm and bake bread for no cash, just the experience.
Turned 16 and started making and delivering pizzas for Lamppost Pizza in Mission Viejo. I was making at least $30 per day just in tips and that's when gas was about $1 a gallon.
The summer after I turned 16 I started driving from Laguna Hills to Mira Loma (55 miles each way) worked on trucks for that one bakery across the street from Eliminator for $10 an hour.
After that summer at the bakery I started a mobile detailing business. When I wasn't playing any sports I could focus on getting a tons of things done after school and weekends. I pulled down almost $2k in one week....thanks to the yatch customers down in Newport and Dana.

catman-do
10-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Age 16, buss boy for Cucina Cucina Italian restaurant that used to be at Ontario Mills Mall.

wright27
10-19-2007, 06:28 AM
At about age 6 I would go to work with my dad, he was a flooring installer, I would pick up scraps. My first fill out the aplication and get the job was age 15 at Casdi Pizza in Canoga Park washing dishes and bussing tables.

Liberator TJ1984
10-19-2007, 06:34 AM
16yrs. old working after school stocking parts shelves for Wilson Supply Co. (oilfield parts supplier-drilling rig parts ) @ 8bucks an hour :D 40hrs a week...worked weekends too ..:D
Cops would pull me over almost everyday and search my car for drugs:mad:
Had a new RS Camaro and they couldn't figure out how I was paying for it ...I JUST HAD to be selling drugs......:rolleyes:
too stuipid to do the math I guess ? 40hrs.wk x 8$ = $200 a week + overtime $$$
car was only $5800 TTL out the door had like a $140 month car payment :D
I think they were just jelious I was making more Money than them :D

wolfie
10-19-2007, 06:44 AM
F'in Scrooge!!!!!!:D

wedge44
10-19-2007, 06:46 AM
1972....12 yrs old....Herald Examiner
1973.................... Green Sheet (Daily News) when it was $1.25 a month donation....which sucked because that's how we got paid....from there
Tori Liquor on Sepulveda Bl. in Van Nuys...best job I ever stole from:D :D :D
a couple of gas stations....then U.S.A.F. ...wow I think back now and realize just how *uckin old I am.....

wolfie
10-19-2007, 06:48 AM
When I was 16 I was cleaning hulls down at the marina where my dad had his boat.
At 17 I work at Larry's Pizza in Fullerton. That lasted 3 weeks. I hated cleaning dishes someone else ate off. :D Went to work at a gas station until I graduated high school.

thatguy
10-19-2007, 07:15 AM
Bagging groceries at age 12. Commissary on base in Anchorage. (Tips only)
First paycheck job, cook at age fifteen at a resteraunt in Anch. ($5.50 Hr. That lasted a year, then Me and the dishwasher got stoned and blew the back wall off lighting the "in wall" BBQ pit with gasoline. Caught the strip mall that is was located in on fire. THAT was a fun night!
Tommy

yopengo
10-19-2007, 07:25 AM
TYFSAK (thank you for shopping at Kmart)
15 ½ unloading rail cars in Norwalk. $14 a car.
16 ½ worked at Woolco in Tucson, AZ until they went BK. I then worked at K-Mart doing the Blue Light Specials and working in the sporting goods / auto department.
<<<<<<<< sporting a mullet back then. :eek: :D

Devil's Advocate
10-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Worked at the snack bar at the local beach.:)

Baja Big Dog
10-19-2007, 07:53 AM
7 to 12 minutes on the outside!!!:eek:

sorry dog
10-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Mowing lawns in the summer for $2 to $3 front and back and shoveling side walks in the winter for a quarter. All that started in 1967, I was 11 and been working ever since. Also raked leaves in the fall and dug gardens in the spring, some paid some not. Do kids still do that kind of stuff??
Some kids may still cut grass, but I think most just grow and sell it.

Kazanski
10-21-2007, 06:54 AM
16- Lifeguard and swim instructor

Wheeler
10-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Barros pizza
and International trap and skeet range in El Monte
and now a male prostitute!!:D And no, Im not making any money!!!:eek:
Was it Barro's in Placentia?

photo chick
10-21-2007, 07:14 AM
I take it you have never been to a turkey farm... its 3x worse.
Nope, I can not imagine anything worse than the smell of chickens... In Fillmore on the highway off the 23 and the 126 there's a chicken farm. I used to have to drive past it after the earthquake to get to work....yuk!!!

Wheeler
10-21-2007, 07:14 AM
I used to work (sweep floors) across the street about the same time, 99th and Prairie.

boatsnblondes
10-21-2007, 07:19 AM
I worked summers as a camp counselor at my folks business, then when I got a little older, I worked at a local hobby shop in Tustin...Franks Hobby shop, then went over to the Iron Horse in Brea..I loved it there...got to meet some great peeps..summer jobs, both, as in mid August, I left to go back to school..

rrrr
10-21-2007, 08:10 AM
My dad was a sheet metal contractor.....50,000 SF shop and over a hundred employees. At age 11 I started cleaning up the dropoffs from the metal shears on weekends. Had to keep the pieces big enough to cut again and put them in the metal rack according to gauge (thickness). The discards got hauled outside and put in the scrap bin.
An old German immigrant that took care of the machinery showed me how to use a push broom the right way......I can still sweep a floor better than any of my employees.
Ol' tightwad was paying me .25 an hour......got a raise to .50 when I was 14.
But the most important compensation I earned was learning how to work hard and that personal integrity means something.......
Thanks, Dad.

photo chick
10-21-2007, 08:14 AM
My dad was a sheet metal contractor.....50,000 SF shop and over a hundred employees. At age 11 I started cleaning up the dropoffs from the metal shears on weekends. Had to keep the pieces big enough to cut again and put them in the metal rack according to gauge (thickness). The discards got hauled outside and put in the scrap bin.
An old German immigrant that took care of the machinery showed me how to use a push broom the right way......I can still sweep a floor better than any of my employees.
Ol' tightwad was paying me .25 an hour......got a raise to .50 when I was 14.
But the most important compensation I earned was learning how to work hard and that personal integrity means something.......
Thanks, Dad.
I've never looked at your hands.....bet you have tons of scars from that nasty sheet metal, sharp stuff!!:D

rrrr
10-21-2007, 08:17 AM
I've never looked at your hands.....bet you have tons of scars from that nasty sheet metal, sharp stuff!!:D
I have a scar on my left arm I got when I was running through the shop at age three..........:D :D
Actually not too many others. You either learn how to handle the metal or bleed to death.....:D :D

CBadDad
10-21-2007, 08:20 AM
When was 13 I got a gib at the local market bagging groceries and stocking shelves. Worked my way into the butchers dept where I took the scraps of meat and ground hamburger and made sausage.
At sixteen I was working as a deckhand on a sportfishing boat. Good money but long days...

Havasu1986
10-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Worked as a doorman at the U.A. theaters in the Cerritos Mall. 76/77. ;)

Her454
10-21-2007, 04:14 PM
and I remember sirloin stockade in Yuma HER454! used to cruz thru there but probably before you were driving:eek: Yuma High class of 70
LOL..... KOFA High School, Class of 80'.

jimslade
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Pumping gas, 10 years old. I was a big kid. Then washing trucks till I was 14. Then cleaning tables at Woolco, 15 Then driving a truck at 16-21. Then restoring classic cars till now,48. Just closed down my shop. I'm taking off a year to build a new house with my oldest son. Its just him and I. 3500 square ft bungalow. NO WONDER I'M SO TIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveA
10-21-2007, 07:19 PM
At age 12 I worked for my allowance helping Dad rebuild this airplane. Wet sanded my fingertips off getting the 15+ coats of dope to glow.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Monocoupe_D145_NC11733_Doug_Creech_1.jpg
Next one was even more work. I was now 14. Came to us in 5 crates. That's how many major pieces it wound up in after it hit the ground...Now it lives at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh- still in one piece.... I'm proud.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Moncoupe_110Spl_N15E_jpeg.JPG

ULTRA26 # 1
10-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Paper Boy at 11.

HemiDude
10-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Worked at the snack bar at the local beach.:)
What did she look like?:sqeyes:

Napanutt
10-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Woodrows janitorial...
Cleaned the local Smorgy Bobs after hours. You would not believe how gross the kitchen was...I didn't care,the beer and wine was on the house...:D
Woodrows wife hooked me up with a job buffing floors at Kmart ( Napa circa 1978)...am way too familiar with the BLS...

howard25bullet
10-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Moving irrigation pipes in milo, knocking figs out of the tree with a big pole (run like hell when you disturbed a bee or wasp nest) and working in a fig dehydrator in Madera, CA for $1.35 an hour at 16 in 1965. We'd push the figs into the dehydrator on large SS racks with the oven on. It was well into the 100's outside and the dehydrator ran about 165 as I recall. It felt quite cool after coming out of the dehydrator no matter how hot it was in August, I'd guess not many have that type of an experience these days since I have a very fair complexion...

Cheyenne372
10-22-2007, 03:35 AM
I was a Freelance Gynecologist while I was in College....
Does that count....?
...:D

Sherpa
10-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Chico Enterprise Record paperboy from age 12 till age 16.
--Sherpa

Wheeler
10-22-2007, 06:18 AM
At age 12 I worked for my allowance helping Dad rebuild this airplane. Wet sanded my fingertips off getting the 15+ coats of dope to glow.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Monocoupe_D145_NC11733_Doug_Creech_1.jpg
Next one was even more work. I was now 14. Came to us in 5 crates. That's how many major pieces it wound up in after it hit the ground...Now it lives at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh- still in one piece.... I'm proud.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Moncoupe_110Spl_N15E_jpeg.JPG
You have every right to be proud, preserving history is not an easy task.
Who owns the other original clipwing?

porknbeanr
10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Friends of my parents owned a mortuary. 14 yrs old I mowed the lawns washed the big black cars and learned what I didn't want to do for a living.