PDA

View Full Version : Norton/Symantec Sucks!!!!!!!!!

Mardonzi
10-20-2007, 05:50 PM
I made the mistake of purchasing Norton Internet Security 2008. I installed it and now all I have are issues with Internet explorer.
So, I call Tech Support,, and can't understand half of what the person I am talking to is saying. I ask for someone I can understand,, sit on hold for 20 minutes, with someone who doesn't have a grasp of the work "supervisor". After telling "Dorothy" for the 10th time that I don't want her to try to help me and not getting a supervisor, I hang up.
I'm calling back as we speak. It's funny that I purchase and download their product as "insurance" and then get the popups and trojans. Then they "offer" to fix the issues for a nominal fee...
Nice racket huh?

thatguy
10-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I made the mistake of purchasing Norton Internet Security 2008. I installed it and now all I have are issues with Internet explorer.
So, I call Tech Support,, and can't understand half of what the person I am talking to is saying. I ask for someone I can understand,, sit on hold for 20 minutes, with someone who doesn't have a grasp of the work "supervisor". After telling "Dorothy" for the 10th time that I don't want her to try to help me and not getting a supervisor, I hang up.
I'm calling back as we speak. It's funny that I purchase and download their product as "insurance" and then get the popups and trojans. Then they "offer" to fix the issues for a nominal fee...
Nice racket huh?
Uh, Yes.
Internet Explorer = strike one
Norton = strike two
If running windows, go Mozilla Firefox and Kaspersky. (Zone alarm isn't bad either ) Just my .02

gramps
10-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I have the 2006 version of Norton on this PC and once the subscription is over it's history. I put AVG and Webroot Spysweeper on the other desktop, saved some $$$$ and I think they work just as well.

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
El low , owe can ei elp yque to dai . :D
I've used Symantec since 98 on literally hundreds of machines and haven't had many issues with it. Issues usually arise from putting it on a system that has been in service a while and is already jacked up. Esp if the machine has had a virus prot. program previously installed that is unrelated to Symantec. Rarely do they ever play nicely together. Even if the former is uninstalled there are still residual registry entries left behind that sometimes cause conflicts.
Installing any virus protection program on anything but a fresh system load is asking for trouble. Too many registry conflicts with other programs used/unused/ installed uninstalled.
Sorry you're having trouble.
Best of luck.
;)click (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162242)
T.

Jbb
10-20-2007, 07:00 PM
I like AVG...:)

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I like AVG...:)
I haven't heard a single bad word about AVG. People seem to like it.
My ISP gives THIS (http://shop.ca.com/malware/internet_security_suite.aspx) away free to it's customers and I have had ok results with it. I'm running it on my Dumpsterbaby machine so far no problems but I hardly ever use the machine. None of the other machines I've put it on has come back so I guess it's good.
T.

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2007, 08:07 PM
I honestly can't believe that people still use IE, or anything from Norton for that matter. Seriously, there's .5% of the population that has to run IE for work or something of that nature, everybody else should be using Firefox. Firefox and AVG, no problems on five networked computers that haven't been turned off in five years.
Hell , With all the excellent,FREE (http://www.mandriva.com/), Linux compilations out there I can't believe people are still running Windooze but they do, so I do. Just to stay on top of problems. If it weren't for Windooze I wouldn't make as much money..
Thank You Microsnot for making such a focked up operating system.
It's money in my pocket :D
Just click go for a face full of More Freebes (http://www.linux.org/dist/list.html)
T.

Xlration Marine
10-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Norton, I agree. My spoolscv pops up and takes over the cpu 100 percent. Get a Cisco router and talk to them, if you can. I hang up and ask for some one that can speek "ENGLISH". So I get some one from mexico, well ok spanglish, mines getting better, why is that?? Out sourcing, gotta love it.

SJP
10-20-2007, 08:20 PM
www.apple.com

Xlration Marine
10-20-2007, 08:27 PM
If I was a grad student, making $600 a year, I'd consider it. ;)
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apples are for pie.

Fire Angler
10-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I honestly can't believe that people still use IE, or anything from Norton for that matter. Seriously, there's .5% of the population that has to run IE for work or something of that nature, everybody else should be using Firefox. Firefox and AVG, no problems on five networked computers that haven't been turned off in five years.
Exactly! :)

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Norton, I agree. My spoolscv pops up and takes over the cpu 100 percent. Get a Cisco router and talk to them, if you can. I hang up and ask for some one that can speek "ENGLISH". So I get some one from mexico, well ok spanglish, mines getting better, why is that?? Out sourcing, gotta love it.
The "Spoolsv.exe" in the task manager is used for print cues. It thinks you have something going to the printer. You may have a printer issue that you are unaware of.
It is also commonly use to spool keylog spy programs and uses SMTP to send logged information. If you don't have or use the printer often you can disable the service and manually start it when you need it. ;)
Win 2k/xp
click Start /Run type in services.msc
Look for print spooler , double clk it set start up to manual or disable. No more spoolsc.exe in the task manager.. Voila !
Be careful monkeying around in there you can shoot yourself in the foot by disabling the wrong things.
Best of luck.
T.

shueman
10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
If f'n Microsoft wrote decent code....:rolleyes: We should NOT have to purchase 3rd Party "protection"...:o

Kindsvater Flat
10-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Linux

thatguy
10-21-2007, 06:50 AM
I agree.
IE is starting to remind me of when someone would tell me their e-mail, and end with "@AOL.com". I would immediately think "poor bast*rd, no clue!".
Tommy

bigq
10-21-2007, 07:54 AM
If f'n Microsoft wrote decent code....:rolleyes: We should NOT have to purchase 3rd Party "protection"...:o
That may or may not be true. Microsoft is the prevalent OS and so it is attacked the most which makes it more of a target then others. If most used Apple, Linux or whatever my guess is we would be talking about them, look at all the security patches Apple has put out and my guess is it will get worse as more people get that OS. Even Firefox has had issues unlike when it first came out. I do use Firefox over IE though for the great addons.

YeLLowBoaT
10-21-2007, 08:08 AM
I just went thru that shit... tell them you fix it it for free or I want a refund... they will fix it... then you tell them you want a refund anyways... Its what I did.

Charley
10-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Sorry if I am clueless, but Mozilla is starting to have people create crap to tweek on them too .... my question is simple is linux the answer, does it have any true differences that will help "keep" it impervious to crap or will it just be the focus of more hackers when it becomes more mainstream?
btw anyone know how to kill "powered by Zedo" I dont even use IE anymore and this $hit still pops up!:mad:

riverroyal
10-21-2007, 08:46 AM
loaded it,its a pile o shit.I could never get it set up right.I also was on hold sooo long I gave up.50$ thrown away