PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Meter

HPBoats83
10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Does anybody have any idea how much an electrical meter costs? I just need to replace the bulb on the side of my house, I ran into it with a tractor this weekend and demolished that bulb.
Thanks,
James

shaffewm
10-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Do you mean the glass on the outside when you say bulb? Just call sce, they will come out and put in a new meter if they can't just replace the glass...no charge:D 8006554555

uvindex
10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Do you mean the glass on the outside when you say bulb? Just call sce, they will come out and put in a new meter if they can't just replace the glass...no charge:D 8006554555Yep, what he said.
And even if you had the glass, installing it would require you to cut the tamper-proof seal thingy on the meter, which would get SCE all bent out of shape. :)

Sleek-Jet
10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Does anybody have any idea how much an electrical meter costs? I just need to replace the bulb on the side of my house, I ran into it with a tractor this weekend and demolished that bulb.
Thanks,
James
The old mechanical ones only cost about $15.00... but like everyone else said, you'll need to call the utility. They might charge you a trip fee, but I doubt they'll charge you for the meter.
The newer solid state ones are a little more pricey...

HPBoats83
10-22-2007, 11:12 AM
No it's not just the glass it's the whole freaking thing. I will go take a picture now.

Sleek-Jet
10-22-2007, 11:16 AM
No it's not just the glass it's the whole freaking thing. I will go take a picture now.
Here's another thing to consider... without the glass, the copper inside the meter and in the meter base are now exposed... you don't want one of your kids (if you have any) or someone else getting electrocuted... call your utility ASAP...

HPBoats83
10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/racerngr1/Dumont-Dante.jpg
Oops :eek:
It's amazing the electricity is still working! Does this mean free electricity for a while? :idea:

WYRD
10-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Here's another thing to consider... without the glass, the copper inside the meter and in the meter base are now exposed... you don't want one of your kids (if you have any) or someone else getting electrocuted... call your utility ASAP...
better yet take some vice grips and clamp the wheel and crank your AC on high :D

Sleek-Jet
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
better yet take some vice grips and clamp the wheel and crank your AC on high :D
From the looks of it, ain't no dials spinning now anyway... :D

WYRD
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Oops :eek:
It's amazing the electricity is still working! Does this mean free electricity for a while? :idea:
they will likely pro-rate you based on your average consumption:(

HPBoats83
10-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Soooo any guestimates on how much this one is going to cost? I am going to have to call right away but just want to see how bad it's going to be!

WYRD
10-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Soooo any guestimates on how much this one is going to cost? I am going to have to call right away but just want to see how bad it's going to be!
Shouldn't cost you anything, but if it does I am sure Edison will bill you on your electric bill in monthly incraments, just give em a call

Sleek-Jet
10-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Whatever their service call or trip charge is... like I said, I doubt they'll charge for the meter. Seriously, those meters cost less than $20.00...
This happens from time to time, as long as it wasn't vandalism or you trying to bypass the meter (tampering), our company won't charge for the meter. Don't know about SCE...

OCMerrill
10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Yep. Just the glass is all you need. :D :D :D
Now is the time for AC.:D
Now you will get a nice new digital meter.

rrrr
10-22-2007, 12:26 PM
LOL.......:D :D
I'd leave it like it is......the new monthly bill will be a nice change. :D
You didn't mention your wife's assessment of your tractor driving skills......

HPBoats83
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
LOL.......:D :D
I'd leave it like it is......the new monthly bill will be a nice change. :D
You didn't mention your wife's assessment of your tractor driving skills......
She went like this :jawdrop: . It was the other 10 people standing right their watching me because I was trying to move a 36" box canary(way to big for the tractor) like I was playing cowboys and indians with my neighbors yelling "Just drag the f'n thing!" So I did right into the meter! Just got off the phone with SCE and they will replace it today $111, not to bad.

shaffewm
10-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Just call, there will be no charge...don't touch the meter you can get shocked....

SHOCKtheMONKEY
10-22-2007, 05:20 PM
don't touch the meter you can get shocked....
Be careful with that, that's dangerous! You're lucky that didn't short out BIG TIME :eek:

HPBoats83
10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah I was actually amazed I didn't get shocked when I broke that meter. I guess bobcats don't conduct electricity.

BoatPI
10-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Talk about free electricity I had SCE hook up the cut off box to my a/c recenlty. Now I get the monthly credit. Last months bill was $9.13!

SHOCKtheMONKEY
10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I was gonna sign up for that too. The way I read it, the money I would save would be from not running the A/C when they shut it off, not a break on my bill.....free 20 dollar STARBUCKS card though... :rolleyes: