PDA

View Full Version : So. Cal Fires - something to think about

gramps
10-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Maybe it's time for answers to a couple of question.
1 - Why are there less than 20 heavy air tankers today throughout the U.S. when a few years back there were 60+?
2 - Why have the tree huggers won the war on "no more fire breaks in Southern California"?
Heavy air support and fire breaks would not stop what is happening right now but it sure would help a lot.

RitcheyRch
10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing earlier.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Apparently LA County has asked for an additonal air support to the tune of 20 aircraft and are only going to get 5 because of the additional fires. This is just one big recipe for disaster...Too many fires over too wide an area with far too few resources...Hope everyone impacted by all of this gets through it as best as possible...

gramps
10-22-2007, 11:24 AM
I sure as hell hope that if they catch the sobs that started any of these fires they make an example out of them.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I sure as hell hope that if they catch the sobs that started any of these fires they make an example out of them.
According to the media, so take that FWIW, the only one that is known to be arson is the one in OC...

essexjet
10-22-2007, 11:28 AM
1 - Why are there less than 20 heavy air tankers today throughout the U.S. when a few years back there were 60+?
2 - Why have the tree huggers won the war on "no more fire breaks in Southern California"?
Heavy air support and fire breaks would not stop what is happening right now but it sure would help a lot.
Majority of the air tankers come from CDF/CalFire and with statewide cut back and retirement of the 60 year old aircraft without replacement hurts.

SB
10-22-2007, 11:37 AM
My sympathies.
The arguments for and against letting fires run their natural course seem to leave out the fact that arson is not natural.

HPBoats83
10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I was just wondering if anybody is a volunteer firefighter? If not does anybody know anybody who is a volunteer? I think I am going to sign up, for me it has been one of those things I have talked about but never done anything about.

clownpuncher
10-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Some policital reasons, but, from what I understand, the $$$ are not that obtainable to purchase new fixed wing aircraft. The aircraft used years ago, typically retired military aircraft retrofitted for the fire service, have been taken out of service due to myriad reasons
Sqeeky wheel
My thought

totenhosen
10-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I was just wondering if anybody is a volunteer firefighter? If not does anybody know anybody who is a volunteer? I think I am going to sign up, for me it has been one of those things I have talked about but never done anything about.
You could probably check with the Forest Service. To be actually on the lines I'm sure they send you through training/bootcamp with all the teenage felons on their last strike.

YeLLowBoaT
10-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Some of those house that have burned should have never been allowed to build them in the 1st place.

HALLETT BOY
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Because the money goes for salaries and overtime ? none left to actually fight
fires ???

Havasu_Dreamin
10-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Some of those house that have burned should have never been allowed to build them in the 1st place.
While you may be right, and you may be wrong, I really don't think a time like this is when you make that statement...:rolleyes:

YeLLowBoaT
10-22-2007, 11:54 AM
While you may be right, and you may be wrong, I really don't think a time like this is when you make that statement...:rolleyes:
Its very simple, if you buy a house in a known fire( or flood...) zone, its just a matter of time before that fire happends. I don't feel bad for anyone that Knowingly and willingly bought a house like that.

Sleek-Jet
10-22-2007, 12:00 PM
As far as #1... after the inflight break-up of several heavy tankers several years ago, the FS wouldn't renew contracts on the heavies unless they underwent major inspections and or upgrades. The cost was prohibitive and most of the contractors parked their heavy fleets.
I don't know if CDF ever had any heavies in their inventory... They fly modified Grumman Trackers (ex Navy Subchasers) now. The PV2 Neptune is popular with the contractors, as well as the SEATS...
I saw Evergreens 747 tanker leaving Pinal airpark here in AZ the other day, don't know if it was headed to California or not... :idea:

yopengo
10-22-2007, 12:11 PM
I thought most of the fixed wing fire tankers can’t fly in these winds. So Cal is 40 + sustained winds today.

Baja Big Dog
10-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Many tanker were grounded earlier this year with some safety issues, never heard of they corrected the problems.

Miss Perfect
10-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I thought most of the fixed wing fire tankers can’t fly in these winds. So Cal is 40 + sustained winds today.
That is true. None of the tankers are flying in San Diego today because of the wind.

Sleek-Jet
10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
That is true. None of the tankers are flying in San Diego today because of the wind.
Are the Helo's working?? Or are they grounded as well...

yopengo
10-22-2007, 12:21 PM
I think the helos are up...fukking nuts in these winds.

Miss Perfect
10-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Are the Helo's working?? Or are they grounded as well...
I don't know.

eliminatedsprinter
10-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I have seen the "Super Scoopers" going to and from the Santa Clarita fire several times today. We sure could use more of them.

gramps
10-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I am...............but I'm not in So. Cal. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I was on L.A. County F.D.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Its very simple, if you buy a house in a known fire( or flood...) zone, its just a matter of time before that fire happends. I don't feel bad for anyone that Knowingly and willingly bought a house like that.
Sorry, YB but most people feel bad when anyone's home gets burned.

Wavemaker
10-22-2007, 02:18 PM
KABC 7 TV helicopter crew spoke to the crew of a Sykorski Flying Crane fire-fighting crew while the TV helicopter was on the ground in Big Bear for refueling. The firefighting crew said they are "grounded due to heavy winds, up to 80 mph and they can only fly and do water pick-ups when the prevailing winds are under 40 mph. No sky cranes in the air." Yesterday a sky crane had to drop the water payload in an emergency situation while fighting the Malibu fire. Reporters on the ground said swirling winds accually rocked and turned the sky crane . The pilot dropped the water immediately and headed into the wind to save the aircraft and crew. Excellent pilot reaction!

RitcheyRch
10-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Thats wild and bet was scary for those on board.
I'm watching KCAL 9 because I love Mia Lee :)
KABC 7 TV helicopter crew spoke to the crew of a Sykorski Flying Crane fire-fighting crew while the TV helicopter was on the ground in Big Bear for refueling. The firefighting crew said they are "grounded due to heavy winds, up to 80 mph and they can only fly and do water pick-ups when the prevailing winds are under 40 mph. No sky cranes in the air." Yesterday a sky crane had to drop the water payload in an emergency situation while fighting the Malibu fire. Reporters on the ground said swirling winds accually rocked and turned the sky crane . The pilot dropped the water immediately and headed into the wind to save the aircraft and crew. Excellent pilot reaction!

eliminatedsprinter
10-22-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm watching KCAL 9 because I love Mia Lee :)
She seems to have gone a bit to heavy on the Botox lately. Sharon Tay and Leyna Nguyen are the main lookers there now...;) :D

RitcheyRch
10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I'd still take Mia Lee and Jackie Johnson
She seems to have gone a bit to heavy on the Botox lately. Sharon Tay and Leyna Nguyen are the main lookers there now...;) :D