PDA

View Full Version : Roth IRA

Fire Angler
10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Opinions wanted: Go with a major Bank or go through a Broker or someone like Ameritrade or similar?

It's Only Money
10-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Opinions wanted: Go with a major Bank or go through a Broker or someone like Ameritrade or similar?
It doesn't really matter from an account management point of view but does from an investment point of view. I'd recommend a self-directed account with Fidelity or similar broker. From there you have the widest range of investments such as equites, fixed income instruments (bonds) or mutual funds. Whatever you are comfortable with. I recommend most of my clients go with Fidelity.
You might look for recommendations for a fee-only financial advisor to help you plan for your investments and future retirement. Depending on your age your investment portfolio can take different approaches. Generally speaking, the younger you are the more agressive you can be in your strategies. If you have a large enough window before retirement then you can be very agressive and can easily out pace the markets. My typical clients are beating the S&P by at least 10% on an annualized basis. Easy to do.

justfloatn
10-23-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree Fidelity.. I moved my 401K's from past jobs into an IRA with them. very happy.
Question to It's Only Money....If your in the finance business.
Kicking around converting my IRA to a Roth IRA and paying the income taxes now Vs. future. I am in the lowest tax bracket of my life single income family, spouse is a housewife, mortgage and two kids. I was thinking it would be a good move. It looks as if there is no penalty just the income taxes. Any input?