PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Questions ?

Flashover
03-01-2006, 03:59 PM
We are going to Disneyland during easter weekend in April. I havent been there in probably 25 yrs. We will have two kids with us a 13yr old gilr and a 4 yr old girl. What are the best and funnest things for the kids to do while we are there. I.E, theme breakfast and dinner, shows etc. Also is there a place for me to get a few beers during this whole deal? We will be staying at the Disneyland hotel so we probably won't be leaving the park either.
Thanks in advance for any input.
:crossx: :crossx:

Some Kind Of Monster
03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Do you have tickets for the park yet? How much are those running these days BTW?

THATJEFFGUY
03-01-2006, 04:04 PM
A 1-day Park Hopper ticket is $79 Too damn much, especilly when half the rides are always closed for repairs !

Ziggy
03-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Do you have tickets for the park yet? How much are those running these days BTW?
Depending on your home address I believe thay are running the 2'fer deal. Get tix that get you in both parks.
If you want themed meals and the like your best bet is in the Disney stores between the parks and obviously within the parks.. Take your tums :D

a catered life
03-01-2006, 04:15 PM
thats a hugh gap between ages.....last time we went i gave my two big kids one of those motorola walkie-talkie things and let them go for it and i spent the day with the little ones....cause the 4 year wont be able to ride the stuff the older ones can and it helps with the long lines and the we had a big breakfast somewhere close and meet up for lunch and dinner.....do lunch or dinner at the rainforest cafe a lil pricey but dam good......do as many shows for the lil one but the older ones propably dont care about shows they like the coasters and yes there is beer at the greatest place on earth :p

bchbum
03-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Costco had family 4 packs for about a $100 , at Christmas time . Don't know if they still do :cool:

MagicMtnDan
03-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Smuggle in as much booze as you can and then you'll be better prepared to spend hundreds of dollars to wait in never-ending lines of humanity.
Can you tell I hate that place?
I'm not called Magic Mountain for nuthin' :D

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Beer? At night go to the Lost Bar. Its in the middle of the 3 towers of the Disneyland Hotel. Don't ask me how I know...
Usually stays open pretty late, but be careful...lots of the D-land employees hang out there after they get off :crossx:

a catered life
03-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Beer? At night go to the Lost Bar. Its in the middle of the 3 towers of the Disneyland Hotel. Don't ask me how I know...
Usually stays open pretty late, but be careful...lots of the D-land employees hang out there after they get off :crossx:
so you mean he might have a chance to hook up with minnie :p

Riverat84
03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
A 1-day Park Hopper ticket is $79 Too damn much, especilly when half the rides are always closed for repairs !
good lord! wasnt it like 55 just a couple months ago? these people can suck my scrumdillyumptious!

moneypit
03-01-2006, 04:46 PM
We are going to Disneyland during easter weekend in April. I havent been there in probably 25 yrs. We will have two kids with us a 13yr old gilr and a 4 yr old girl. What are the best and funnest things for the kids to do while we are there. I.E, theme breakfast and dinner, shows etc. Also is there a place for me to get a few beers during this whole deal? We will be staying at the Disneyland hotel so we probably won't be leaving the park either.
Thanks in advance for any input.
:crossx: :crossx:
25 years? WOW!! I have alot of those ticket books that I can sell you. Remember that the E-ticket gets you on all the great rides. I have alot of those. I would be glad to sell them to you. :D :D

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
so you mean he might have a chance to hook up with minnie :p
Yeah...the guy that walks around in the minnie costume if that's what you're referring to! :p

cdog
03-01-2006, 04:54 PM
The most oriential place on earth! :)

THATJEFFGUY
03-01-2006, 05:20 PM
The most oriential place on earth! :)
...you mean Disneyrand ?

NoCal NoBoat
03-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Flashover -
I'd recommend "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland" by Bob Sehlinger.
Bob has had my back on several trips to DL during the busiest times of year.
Best advice I can is to know what time the parks open (it varies, weekday, weekend, holiday, etc. California Adventure hours are different than Disneyland hours). You're staying at the Disneyland Hotel, so you may be eligible for Early Entry on one or more days. Take advantage of it if you are.
Be in line before the gates open - you can catch more stuff between 8:00 am
and 10:30 am than you can between 10:30 am and 5:00 pm.
No beer in Disneyland, but the Cove Bar in California Adventure can hook you up. Wine is available at the Golden Vine in California Adventure. Lots of places in Downtown Disney, the dining and shopping "district" west of the theme parks.
You don't have to take the monorail back to the hotel and "Cocktail Land" like my cousin used to do.
I was there last week. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Trust me, after 25 years, you'll still recognize Disneyland. The parking lot, however, looks way different. That's where they put the other theme park, the hotel, the "Downtown", etc. And DL now has it's own offramp from the 5.

boatsnblondes
03-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Flashover....get ready for a little shock...a LOT has changed there....so here goes....you can no longer park in the lot and walk up the front gate....that lot no longer exists...they have put in a HUGE new parking structure and that is where you park....a shuttle will meet you at the base of the structure and take to the "new" front entrance....to get there...take Katella Ave. from either the 22 or the 5...<by the way, the 5 has been rebuilt completely, so no, your not on the wrong freeway> take Katella PAST the Anahiem convention center, to the first right...<disney way????> the street that goes towards the Disneyland hotel...bear to the left, you will turn LEFT to get into the STREET that allows access to the parking....once you make the left...the drive comes off from the right...keep an eye out for it...about 75 yards in from the intersection. Follow the guys, park, catch the shuttle, REMEMBER WHERE YOU PARKED!!!!! I kid you not, this thing is HUGE!!..now, the park...my wife and I have season passes...we like to go to the Disneyland adventure first, get that out of the way. In there, go up the main sidewalk till you see the train on the right...Western Pacific orange and silver...bear to the right past that...find "wings over America" amazing ride, plus, it's air conditioned, let you cool off from all the walking and waiting in line for tix. Cal. adventure is seperated into diferent areas, all parts of California....so walk around there..lots for the kids to see and do, one big coaster, LOTS of fun, worth the wait...then just have fun doing whatever over there....after you are done...head back across the plaza to Disneyland proper....not much has changed there...but enough has that you won't know your way around...several new rider, Indiana jones in adventureland, Space mountain in tomarrow land, just COMPLETELY rebuilt, and a GREAT ride, as well as the calico coaster...hanted house is still there, as well as Pirates of the Carribean, the Matterhorn, and It's a small world....there is food everywhere, but the best may be over by frontierland...there are some BBQ's over there, but I rarely see them open anymore....they seem to have fresh fruit stands everywhere now....get a chunk of pinapple... :rollside: there shoud be a parade later that night..best seats?? right on Main street across from the candy store is a nice little place with a front porch with some outdoor couches on it..snag those early....send the kids across the street for a fill on the sweet stuff, the wife to the left for a cup of coffee, or hot cocao, and you set. Most of all, just enjoy the place...no matter how old I get, I still ove to go there..most of my friends bought season passes and just go in to walk around on warm summer nights with the kids...have a great time....let me know how it went.... :rollside:

superdave013
03-01-2006, 05:45 PM
you will like the ESPN Zone in downtown diz for one dinner. Good food and lots of things for kids of all ages (including you) to do upstairs.

Ziggy
03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
One thing you want to do for sure...utilize the "SPEED PASS" at the most popular rides....if you time it just right you will end up walking from one to the other and by-pass the long ass lines.
It really does work well...a little luck might be involved but once you figure out how that system works use it to your advantage.

riverracerx
03-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I will be there Monday.....
....for work ;)
Easter week is going to be CROWDED! :cry:

shueman
03-01-2006, 05:55 PM
We usually:
1. Eat breakfast at home and plan dinner out afterwards. Food is OK but very expensive.
2. Take snacks for the kids in a back-pack.
3. Take a stroller to carry your gear and your own cooler with water & such(plastic), even if you have only teenagers. Throw in a few baby bottles for cover.
4. Get a locker so you don't have to haul your crap everywhere.
5. Hit the must rides first; use the fast-pass and get several tickets throughout the day.
Don't ride THUNDER MOUNTAIN..... :crossx:

Flashover
03-01-2006, 05:55 PM
This is all good stuff. keep it coming. Is it a bad thing that we made reservations on Saturday and Sunday morning around 8:30 for breakfast? Is that to late? Should we be in the park by then beating the crowd? And just how busy do you think it will be on easter weekend? We didn't even realize we booked it on easter weekend until just the other day.

cdog
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
...you mean Disneyrand ?
Ya. I thought it was funny...Lots of picture's taken there. :)

Flying Tiger
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker__05_069-med.jpg
The Lost Boys Bar is the best place to drink over at the Hotel.
If you belong to triple A,, AAA,, or Auto Club as the locals call it, they have package deals,,
And the really unique thing is the speed pass with the AAA is not a one pass untill ya ride deal,, you can collect them in advance for several rides.

bohica
03-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Went last weekend for my daughters birthday. Took the RV, it was only $2 more for parking and you get a preferred spot right next to the trams. Only thing that made it bearable was being able to take a break, go back to the rv and pound as many beers as I could in the 1.5 hours the kids rested. :)

riverracerx
03-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Just don't miss "Soarin' over California" at CA. Adv. It is the best ride!

shockwavebd
03-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Get a park hopper ticket...........They have a beer wagon in California adventure and a full bar right across from the roller coater.. :) at the other end of Ariel's restaurant

Music to my Ears
03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I've been a musician at D-land for many years. PM me the dates your coming out. I may be able to help. :)

NoCal NoBoat
03-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Flashover -
I'd say it's your vacation, your call for breakfast. My recommendation to be in line before DL opens is based on experiences we've had during peak times (i.e. President's Day weekend, July 4 weekend, Thanksgiving weekend - all the times the guidebooks say "stay away if you can").
If those breakfasts are "character" breakfasts, they might be "Kodak moments", especially for the 4 yr old.
Easter weekend should be very busy. That being said, the 50'th Anniversary of DL is still on, and with year-round schools on break, and Spring Break for others, it's busy all the time this season. Our last trip, it was relatively quiet on Wednesday and Thursday, crazy on Friday, and a little less crazy on Saturday. But the annual passport holders were blacked-out during President's Day weekend. IMO, any book (including my favorite Unofficial Guide) that predicts the attendance based on the time of year is out-of-date
because of the anniversary.
For a on-line reference, check out www.laughingplace.com.
Those people are WAY more into DL than I. But there's very little they don't know about DL
In DL - don't miss the "Mountains" - Space, Splash, Thunder. And Peter Pan for the 4 yr old (ride first thing, loads slowly, always a thousand people in line).
In DCA - don't miss Soarin' over California and California Screaming. Or watch California Screaming through a cold beer at the Cove Bar across the lagoon.

THATJEFFGUY
03-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Rent a wheelchair and have the wifey push you around. It gets you to the front of ALL the lines !! Then you can sip your beer outta one of those Disneyland cups with a straw all day while you enjoy the "ride" !

Longtime Lurker
03-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Flashover,
I agree that if you are going to the character breakfast they are Kodak moments. The one at Goofy's kitchen is the biggest and has the traditional characters (Mickey, Goofy, Donald, etc). It's pretty busy, they get the kids going, doing conga lines and stuff. Pretty cool. We just did the character breakfast at the Storyteller Cafe at the Grand Californian. Much more mellow, only a couple of characters. We also did dinner at Ariels Grotto in California Adventure. If your 4 yr. old is a girl and is into the princessess, she'll love this. There are at least 5 princessess and they walk around the restruant and speak with each table individually. This was pretty cool. I have a 3.5 year old daughter. She loved it. Each princess called her by name and spent time with her. The food is pretty good here and you can drink beer.
We are anual pass holders, so we are there all the time. I get a kick out of seeing the little ones, especially first timers. Have fun and enjoy!
Robert

totenhosen
03-01-2006, 09:15 PM
get all hints and tricks at mouseplanet.com

Keyser
03-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I get on the monorail by Space Mountian and it drops you off pretty much at ESPN Zone, run inside down a few at the bar, hop back on the monorail back into the park. If you time it right your only gone for 25 minutes or so and you can tell your wife you got los t on the way back from the bathroom. :crossx:

Riverbass
03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Ok i have all the insites for you because my wife and i work there...my wife is letting you know about things....
Ok durning easter week and weekend yes it will be very busy and the 2fer's do end on 4/7/06 and they are at von's. Yes the price now too get in is $76.00 for a park hopper and regular price for one park is $56.00 an Adult ages 9 and up and the child price is about $10.00 less...since you are going to breakfast at 8:30 that is a good time and hopefully its the character breakfast, cause that is the best thing that i have done and with kids (depending on witch breakfast it is all the character do come to the table and talk with the children and you can take pictures all you want and eat much as you want). During the easter week no matter what time you go day or night you will have lines. For disney the easter week will begin the last week of March and run through to end of April so for 5 weeks.
For california Adventure there is a beer truck in the fishersman wharf and a margirita booth and yes you could walk all around the park with you drink. Also forgot about the winery, you could do the same. And for the bar that someone was talking about is no longer there, they took that out. The lost bar does have anything (hard liquir) when you come to the pool area take a left and it's on the right side....
In California Adventure there is not much for the smallest child (I know that he is 4yr. but not sure of how tall he is) because there is more hight requirments they start at 40 inches and go all the way to 52 inches. if he can't make the 40 inches there is at least 6 rides that have no requirments and the rest would be shows. that park really i think is for adults not for children that are at a smaller age, only because you going to find he wants to ride and he is unable too.. And yes it can be expensive to eat and with a family of 4. since you will be at the hotel, my suggestion is that you go to the store and do get some snacks and juice or water to bring with you so you won't have to spend so much..
If you have any more questions or need help just let me know. You can email me...
Have fun and good luck

Flashover
03-02-2006, 05:39 AM
Bump...

Flashover
03-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Anything else? :crossx:

NoCal NoBoat
03-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Just read a hot rumor that the Cove Bar in Disney's California Adventure will be operating 7 days a week as of 3/10/2006. Opens at Noon, open til 5:00 pm when the park closes at 6:00 pm. Open til an hour before closing time on later nights.
As with most things Disney, subject to change and your mileage may vary...

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Stay at the newer hotel and pay more for the bigger rooms.!! I forget the name but it's like the forest lodge. Trust me dont stay at the old one! Yuk!!
Downtown disney is a blast too! Make sure the kids a re worn out and go party!!