PDA

View Full Version : inside house painters..

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
as most of you know we are in the final stages of out house in Parker.
I wanted to know from anyone who has painted the inside of the house what you prefer. sprayed or rolled.
I prefer rolled and was debating wether or not to have our house rolled or sprayed. :D to me the rolled seems like it would last longer. :idea: :D

rocket98
10-24-2007, 08:45 PM
For the best coverage you want to spray and roll it immediately after. Two people following each other( I ment men )

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
For the best coverage you want to spray and roll it immediately after. Two people following each other( I ment men )
really.. I never heard of that. I think my contractor has a painter and he sprays everything. I really don't want it sprayed though.:)

whiteworks
10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
roll the walls, spray the trim. minumum 2 finish coats at bare minumum.

YeLLowBoaT
10-24-2007, 08:56 PM
really.. I never heard of that. I think my contractor has a painter and he sprays everything. I really don't want it sprayed though.:)
its called back rolling.
if the guy knows what he is doing spraying will be fine. if not then it will need to be back rolled. When I do a high end custom homes on the walls/ceiling, I spray the PVA, spary a undercoating and then roll. On the trim I sand, prime, sand, under coat( normally same color but flat) then spary the the finish. Generally I spary the trim before the last coat on the walls as its easier to cut in that way. Some people has asked for a "brushed finish" on the trim, if that is the case I brush the the under coating and don't sand, then spray the finish.
Also if you want "perfect trim" ( and I mean perfect, as in anally perfect. as close to glass as you can get. a very good painter will still leave a slight brush mark.) the only way to do it with latex is spraying.

wfoflat
10-24-2007, 08:57 PM
My buddy is a painting contractor and said that the right way to do it is to spray first then roll over it right after. He said its called back rolling.

rocket98
10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
The sprayer puts the paint on the wall and the person with the roller follows behind to allow even coverage. After your painter is complete and the paint is dry Take a halogen light and light up your walls all the imperfections will show.If something shows up and your painter says that the drywall is not right for any reason. Then he should have not painted it. Professionals do not work over mistakes. Most of the time the painter can repaint a wall in no time at all.

YeLLowBoaT
10-24-2007, 09:02 PM
roll the walls, spray the trim. minumum 2 finish coats at bare minumum.
There is no reason to put two finish coats on if they primed and under coated it.
The only 2 coat thing is BS... Infact 2 coats is acutally less durable then 1 good coat.

czarmarz73
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
If you ever intend on doing any sort of touch up that is with a brush your going to have to roll or back roll the paint. One coat two coat it all matters to the paint. The best paint from dunn edwards what they call suprema. It's a flat finish with enamel quality to be able to wipe of marks. That paint is impossible to give one coat I don't care what. Even undercoating with the same color it's still impossible to only put one coat and come out perfect.

whiteworks
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
There is no reason to put two finish coats on if they primed and under coated it.
The only 2 coat thing is BS... Infact 2 coats is acutally less durable then 1 good coat.
from my experiance one coat never seems to cut it. on the trim it doesnt get the luster and consitancy of sheen of multiple coats. on the walls if the primer is tinted like the wall color one coat will work. seems most of the time that the true color does not appear until second coat of finish is on. but WTF do I know I'm just and overpriced primadona finish carpenter.:D

sawtooth
10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Spraying is nice and all but it just always seems that 6 months down the road the home owner does some touch up for something they or the kids have done and they use a brush or roller.......might as well use a different color, might not see it straight on but walking into the room at the right time of day and there it is.

YeLLowBoaT
10-24-2007, 09:33 PM
don't feel bad I'm painter masquerading as a general contractor. :)
most of those issuse can be traced to ether bad materials( as in cheap or mixed in the wrong base... it happends all the time) or bad applcation ( sploch or too thin) granted some colors have hide issuses no matter what. Strait white and lighter yellows will always have those issuses... they just lack the solids to get the hide you need.

whiteworks
10-24-2007, 09:38 PM
BTW nothin focks up good trim job faster than a shiity paint job or some asswad and $1.98 tube of caulking. putty the holes caulk the seams and inside corners ( caulking shrinks/ putty cracks) check the prep work before they start applying paint. make sure all nail holes are filled flush no dimples no highspots just flush "if you can feel it you will see it". the bright work will make or break the effect of a custom home. "putty and paint makes a carpenter what he aint"

YeLLowBoaT
10-24-2007, 09:50 PM
the other side of that is the painter fixs the sins of the carpenter... :)
I know exactly what you mean... lots of bad tradesmen in every trade. gives us all a bad name.

OCMerrill
10-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Kind of redundant at this point but back rolling is the way to go. If a sealer is placed on the bare drywall first then the paint looks even better.
Go for color. A real dark full gloss. Painters love applying that shit.:D :D :D

jus a baker
10-25-2007, 07:34 PM
The best paint from dunn edwards what they call suprema.
MMMMMM, Suprema ;) (not quite a flat finish), my favorite material. Up here I first laquer undercoat all raw wood, sand. Prime walls (tinted to 1/2 strength finish color), spray AND back roll finish. Then re-prep trim as needed, mask and spray trim (min 2 coats).
Prep is the key. Bad prep=Bad finish.
Oh, OC, I love gloss!

BadKachina
10-25-2007, 08:05 PM
The best paint from dunn edwards what they call suprema.
MMMMMM, Suprema ;) (not quite a flat finish), my favorite material. Up here I first laquer undercoat all raw wood, sand. Prime walls (tinted to 1/2 strength finish color), spray AND back roll finish. Then re-prep trim as needed, mask and spray trim (min 2 coats).
Prep is the key. Bad prep=Bad finish.
Oh, OC, I love gloss!
I just re-did the entire inside in VersaSatin. Just a little bit of sheen to it, and you can paint everything in it, bathrooms, kitchens, living areas. Good stuff.
Either way you can't go wrong with Dunn Edwards, don't buy cheap paint.

Pepperkornski
10-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Since your house is "new construction" application of the material using an airless sprayer and then back rolled, is acceptable. Any time a painter wants to bring an airless sprayer into an occupied home, for the purpose of painting walls or ceilings, it would be time to get another painter.

Nord
10-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Roll it.

Outnumbered
10-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Suprema is what they call a low-sheen. It is good stuff. Looks like flat paint but cleans-up and wears like a semi-gloss. You won't regret the Suprema. Also, don't let the painter tell you he will use his own stuff that is just as good. It may or may not be but the main problem I have found is that if you ever need to touch up you may have a hard time matching. DE is known for keeping formulas and color charts for 30 years:)

Pepperkornski
10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
as most of you know we are in the final stages of out house in Parker.
I wanted to know from anyone who has painted the inside of the house what you prefer. sprayed or rolled.
I prefer rolled and was debating wether or not to have our house rolled or sprayed. :D to me the rolled seems like it would last longer. :idea: :D
The type of texture on your walls, will dictate what the painter can get away with.
If you are going smooth wall or true orange peel, be sure to check the finish under different lighting conditions. Skip Trowel or some sort of knock down finish, are more forgiving and will require less work for the drywall and painting crews and produce an acceptable finish.
As Nord said, "Roll It!"

suckin&pumpin
10-25-2007, 08:42 PM
The type of texture on your walls, will dictate what the painter can get away with.
If you are going smooth wall or true orange pell, be sure to check the finish under different lighting conditions, Skip Trowel or some sort of knock down finish, will require less work for the drywall and painting crews.
Ps. knock down sux!
As Nord said, "Roll It!"
that is EXACTLY right but i would like to add that if you are going smooth or prange peel DO NOT use PVA, try USG first coat or hamiltom prep coat, as a primer then seal and paint, for the extra $$ It is WELL worth it.

Formula Dude
10-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Use Zinsser 1-2-3 primer, roll or spray. They sell it at home depot in 1 or 5 gallon buckets. Being a new construction, this stuff works great.
Pratt and Lambert or Benjamin Moore paint cost a little more, but blows the other stuff away. Definitely roll the stuff on.

Pepperkornski
10-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Use Zinsser 1-2-3 primer, roll or spray. They sell it at home depot in 1 or 5 gallon buckets. Being a new construction, this stuff works great.
Pratt and Lambert or Benjamin Moore paint cost a little more, but blows the other stuff away. Definitely roll the stuff on.
If you want to keep it simple, prime with decovel (plenty pva in decovel) and top with suprema, both tinted alike.
Paints are formulated according to region, what works well in the Oc. does not necessarily work well in Oyama.

plaster dave
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
The sprayer puts the paint on the wall and the person with the roller follows behind to allow even coverage. After your painter is complete and the paint is dry Take a halogen light and light up your walls all the imperfections will show.If something shows up and your painter says that the drywall is not right for any reason. Then he should have not painted it. Professionals do not work over mistakes. Most of the time the painter can repaint a wall in no time at all.
Come on it is Parker you Guys. Not Beverly Hills.
Tell the painting contractor what you want, if he tells you this is how I do it. Then you tell him I expect it to look like this and last this long. Then let him do it his way and if doesn't come out the way you want it to he can redo it your way for free. I got a good painter I will see if he will go out there.
P.S. you can always Hardy Back it!!!!!!!!!:D