PDA

View Full Version : could it get any worse

SummitKarl
10-25-2007, 11:00 AM
My poor neighbor across the street (part timer) He lives in S.D. north county
and works at the Chevy dealer there, he lost his home in the fires and now I had to call him and tell him .........there is water running out of your Havasu house:jawdrop: ...unreal:(
called Summit Homes plumber for him and I am having him "Comp" the repairs:D

scarabrick2
10-25-2007, 11:01 AM
that sucks
Nice of you to help the guy out

Keith E. Sayre
10-25-2007, 11:02 AM
way to go Karl!
Keith Sayre

MissB
10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Way to go Karl, thats the spirit, helping peeps!! I heart river people!

That Guy
10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Really nice thing to do...I can't believe how many people we have talked to who have homes in SD or Irvine area and also a vacation home in Arrowhead....know of at least one guy who lost both....:(

SummitKarl
10-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Way to go Karl, thats the spirit, helping peeps!! I heart river people!
then explain ROZ:) :) :D

riverbound
10-25-2007, 11:31 AM
is it not normal practice to turn the water off to the house for most people? After every trip we always shut the main off to the house to prevent these sorts of things from happening.

soupersonic
10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
and works at the Chevy dealer there, he lost his home in the fires and now I had to call him and tell him .........there is water running out of your Havasu house:jawdrop: ...unreal:(
I hope you shut the main off for the guy ;)

Lightning
10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Way to go Karl.... just exemplifying the Team Turnkey attitude - people helping people.

HM
10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
It could be much worse...he could be the target of Team Turn Key and there is just no recovering from that...it is like the scarlet letter A. :D

SummitKarl
10-25-2007, 11:36 AM
is it not normal practice to turn the water off to the house for most people? After every trip we always shut the main off to the house to prevent these sorts of things from happening.
he has a bubbler system that needs to stay on and has not yet ran a Tee from the main line:)

SummitKarl
10-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Way to go Karl.... just exemplifying the Team Turnkey attitude - people helping people.
NICE.......one ZINGGGGGGGGGGG ;) :D

MissB
10-25-2007, 11:42 AM
then explain ROZ:) :) :D
Ok sorry, I'll change that to I heart river people and those who may not frequent the river all that much. Better?

riverbound
10-25-2007, 11:47 AM
he has a bubbler system that needs to stay on and has not yet ran a Tee from the main line:)
Maybe it will be a priority now ;)

RitcheyRch
10-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Way to go Karl.

hkunz
10-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Good deal, getting it taken care of. I hope if something happens at our place the neighbor (one of LHC's finest) is as neighborly.
Our next door neighbor (owner lives in Riverside, rents it our by the month) had a leak and we called that in, but it was before the main cutoff.
I may have missed something about cutting off the water main. We have irrigation on a timer, and our toilets dry out and allow swamp gas back in the house if they go dry, so it never occured to me to shut off the water. Is that something many part timers do?

SummitKarl
10-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Good deal, getting it taken care of. I hope if something happens at our place the neighbor (one of LHC's finest) is as neighborly.
Our next door neighbor (owner lives in Riverside, rents it our by the month) had a leak and we called that in, but it was before the main cutoff.
I may have missed something about cutting off the water main. We have irrigation on a timer, and our toilets dry out and allow swamp gas back in the house if they go dry, so it never occured to me to shut off the water. Is that something many part timers do?
it's a good practice especially if you have the older copper plumbing, just make sure to flip the water heater breaker off too and turn on a faucet first before turning the water back on (water hammer can ruin your day):) another trick is to leave buckets of water around the house so the toilets don't evap. as fast and a couple of Gallon jugs of water in the fridge (cold Mass) so the fridge won't have to work as hard

Hal
10-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I always shut the main to the house off when I leave. I had the ice maker tubing spring a leak while we were at the river. We left for a while to eat and when we got back I opened the door and got hit in the face with a fine spray.
The pin hole leak cut a 1" hole in both sides of the drywall and was spraying thru the kitchen wall.
If we left the water on and that would have happened while we in CA I would hate to think what the water damage would have been.

riverbound
10-25-2007, 01:41 PM
we always turn the water off and always have. On average our place gets used at least once amonth though. if we know the house will be down for along period of time we will do the buckets of water thing and laving the toilet lids down helps limit the ammount of evaporation. Our big bear cabin will sit empty for months at a time soemtimes and it leaves a lot of piece of mind.

lalhc
10-25-2007, 01:43 PM
The person who installed my soft-water set-up added a shut-off valve for me so I still have water for irrigation and my pool.