PDA

View Full Version : Ash

SOCALDETAIL1
10-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Just a warning. If anyone has ash on their vehicles, hose it off DO NOT try to wipe it off. One of my customers just scratched his car up pretty bad :(

Miss Perfect
10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Oh geez, that sucks. I have not done anything yet, I figure once I start going, the majority of it blows off. And trying to keep it off is like fighting a losing battle.
Is leaving the ash on there going to be harmful to my paint? it's not like under a foot of it, it just looks dusty.

RitcheyRch
10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Think it also has some chemicals in it that can harm the paint finish as well.

BigDoug
10-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Mp, to answer your question.......yes and no.....hopefully you had a good coat of wax and that buys you more time than not having wax, blow it off or wash it off when you get a chance. :D

Mr. Crusader 83
10-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Mp, to answer your question.......yes and no.....hopefully you had a good coat of wax and that buys you more time than not having wax, blow it off or wash it off when you get a chance. :D
And watch out for Big Doug, he will leave his business cards on all your cars. :D

BigDoug
10-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Yep, just trying to bring a little class to the neighborhood is all !! :D

sleekcraft80
10-25-2007, 01:02 PM
I am in havi now. Hopefully all of the ash will be in AZ by the time I get home on saturday

SOCALDETAIL1
10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Think it also has some chemicals in it that can harm the paint finish as well.
From what I heard only near the fires is where the chemicals would harm the finish? I know that alot of my regular customers are booking appointments for the following weeks. It kind of sucks because now I have to do SEMA details at night and regular details during the day :jawdrop:

thatguy
10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
If you blow it with air, turn the regulator way down. When we would get volcano ash on everything in Alaska, air hose would etch a spot where you pulled the trigger, even from a couple feet away. Use a water hose if possible, or stand way back with the air and just get close enough to barely feather it off.
We would have 2-6 inches of it though, sometimes more, and it had a ton of sulpher. Hopefully the fire ash is not as bad.
It is mind boggling the amount of loss and destruction so far, truly hope everyone can pull out of it OK.
Tommy

SOCALDETAIL1
10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
And watch out for Big Doug, he will leave his business cards on all your cars. :D
No he doesn't? Do you Doug:D HUSTLING thats good.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Just got off the phone with someone in Westchester by LAX he said the ash in the morning mixed with the dew made it acidic and spotted his finish? hmmm im gonna go in the morning to go check it out. Kind of reminds me of when they would spray for medflies in the valley, if you didnt cover your car you were screwed.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-25-2007, 01:25 PM
If you blow it with air, turn the regulator way down. When we would get volcano ash on everything in Alaska, air hose would etch a spot where you pulled the trigger, even from a couple feet away. Use a water hose if possible, or stand way back with the air and just get close enough to barely feather it off.
We would have 2-6 inches of it though, sometimes more, and it had a ton of sulpher. Hopefully the fire ash is not as bad.
It is mind boggling the amount of loss and destruction so far, truly hope everyone can pull out of it OK.
Tommy
Yup that will work. I hate detailers that use compressed air in the cars. All it does is blows crap behind the gauge cluster.

RitcheyRch
10-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Think you will be busy for awhile.
From what I heard only near the fires is where the chemicals would harm the finish? I know that alot of my regular customers are booking appointments for the following weeks. It kind of sucks because now I have to do SEMA details at night and regular details during the day :jawdrop:

SOCALDETAIL1
10-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Think you will be busy for awhile.
Yea. Believe it or not alot of RVs, weekend warriors, and toy haulers. Most boats were covered. I have washed my truck everyday. my other car is covered. And the cover looks beat. I will be working on Saturday too:(

Magic34
10-25-2007, 11:25 PM
This was a really cool thread for you to start. I am guessing most people dont know where the heck to start with the ash on their vehicles.

Magic34
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
As you guys know, I am from the waterless side of the industry.
Question for the detailers with those odd heavy tanks on a trailer or truck :D :
Wouldn't it make more sense to get the water saopy first so it lubricates the dirt/ash particles on the surface before they run off or down the vehicle?
I dont know the answer to this. It just makes sense to me to get one of those Mr. Clean Autowash things and have the soap mixed in with the water while you are trying to remove the hard ash with the soap helping the partciels to become lubricated before or as it is running down the paint.
Yes, no? :confused:

hkunz
10-26-2007, 02:23 AM
I don't know if fire ash is similar to volcanic ash, but Mt Saint Helen's ash ate every engine on the ranch. Change all your oil and filters almost immediately, especially the air filters for the engine and cabin (if so equipped). The super fine grit got into everything. There are oiled socks you can slip over your air inlets, that's probably a good idea.

Baja Big Dog
10-26-2007, 07:48 AM
I don't know if fire ash is similar to volcanic ash, but Mt Saint Helen's ash ate every engine on the ranch. Change all your oil and filters almost immediately, especially the air filters for the engine and cabin (if so equipped). The super fine grit got into everything. There are oiled socks you can slip over your air inlets, that's probably a good idea.
Not the same, volcanic has actual grit, the same used in lapping compound, needless to say, it will hone out a cylinder pretty quick, but I cant imagine much getting into an engine with an air cleaner.

ChumpChange
10-26-2007, 08:40 AM
And this is what is keeping my car looking great during these times. The car is so smooth that a lot of time, all it takes is a drive on the freeway to get it looking decently clean again.

Mr. Crusader 83
10-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Yep, just trying to bring a little class to the neighborhood is all !! :D
I thought you were triing to tell me something. I know its dirty but sh#t bud. :D

SOCALDETAIL1
10-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Question for the detailers with those odd heavy tanks on a trailer or truck :D :
Wouldn't it make more sense to get the water saopy first so it lubricates the dirt/ash particles on the surface before they run off or down the vehicle?
I dont know the answer to this. It just makes sense to me to get one of those Mr. Clean Autowash things and have the soap mixed in with the water while you are trying to remove the hard ash with the soap helping the partciels to become lubricated before or as it is running down the paint.
Yes, no? :confused:
Yes, Well hopefully they have a nice coat of wax that would assist in the removal of the ash. I know my system has soap injection, so I have soap in the water until rinse.

thatguy
10-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Not the same, volcanic has actual grit, the same used in lapping compound, needless to say, it will hone out a cylinder pretty quick, but I cant imagine much getting into an engine with an air cleaner.
I'll try to find some old pics I have.
Imagine looking out your window, -20 or so temp. Feb. with at least 2 feet of snow, plus a fresh 8" overnight.
EVERYTHING you see is grey-black, and I mean everything. The only other color is white footprints where your neighbor walked outside in the snow.
You open the door to take in this surreal sight and immediately choke and gag.
You can taste the sulpher, the grit is instantly grinding in your teeth.
You put on a cartridge respirator, being a good Alaskan you have one in the closet. You go out and see that there is about 3 inches of "powdery" ash.
As you brush off the car you are glad it snowed first, the ash is not on the car surface. After about 15 minutes, guess what? Your combo cartridges are already plugged.
Go inside, take off your boots and coat. Grit is in every single pore and crease in your skin. In your teeth, ears, everywhere.
In a decent volcanic ash coating, an air filter, and engine, doesn't stand a chance.
Even if you don't drive for days, and let it get cleaned up and dispersed, you will still find it in every crack of your car, inside and out.
Shit is worse than anti-seize, I swear.
Tommy

SOCALDETAIL1
10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
I'll try to find some old pics I have.
Imagine looking out your window, -20 or so temp. Feb. with at least 2 feet of snow, plus a fresh 8" overnight.
EVERYTHING you see is grey-black, and I mean everything. The only other color is white footprints where your neighbor walked outside in the snow.
You open the door to take in this surreal sight and immediately choke and gag.
You can taste the sulpher, the grit is instantly grinding in your teeth.
You put on a cartridge respirator, being a good Alaskan you have one in the closet. You go out and see that there is about 3 inches of "powdery" ash.
As you brush off the car you are glad it snowed first, the ash is not on the car surface. After about 15 minutes, guess what? Your combo cartridges are already plugged.
Go inside, take off your boots and coat. Grit is in every single pore and crease in your skin. In your teeth, ears, everywhere.
In a decent volcanic ash coating, an air filter, and engine, doesn't stand a chance.
Even if you don't drive for days, and let it get cleaned up and dispersed, you will still find it in every crack of your car, inside and out.
Shit is worse than anti-seize, I swear.
Tommy
Damn. :eek: