PDA

View Full Version : Cat vs. V insurance

Swoop
10-25-2007, 02:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26' open bow (mid cabin) Cat w/ 525efi
30' open bow (mid cabin) V w/600sci
Huge difference? I pay $600 a year for a 25' V w/496HO right now.....

Wozencraft
10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26' open bow (mid cabin) Cat w/ 525efi
30' open bow (mid cabin) V w/600sci
Huge difference? I pay $600 a year for a 25' V w/496HO right now.....
I'm certain you know there are more factors in determining an insurance premium than just the hull type, length & power plant. However, I gladly can give you a ball-park indication. On the Cat, I'm assuming it's NOT a deck boat.
Option 1 - $1500 - $2500 (roughly)
Option 2 - $1000 - $2000 (roughly)
Again, the above indications are without knowing age, experience, driving record, value, coverages, etc. If you would like a firm rate I would be happy to give you one. I can call you at your convenience.
Just a note regarding another post you wrote about having insurance with State Farm. State Farm is a very reputable company. However, their boat policy is very out of character from most insurance companies insuring boats. Let me explain. You are currently paying $600 w/ State Farm on your 25' V-Hull w/425 hp. There are some, even on this board that pay only $750-$850 for a 26' - 28' Cats w/ 600-800hp. Question to State Farm, are you telling me that the risk between a boat topping out at 65mph, and a Cat (with higher hull value) topping out at 85mph is only worth $200 more in annual premium??? Another thing, I have seen the State Farm guidelines for boats. They DO NOT insure high performance boats...period. Plus, in California they specifically mention that they DO NOT insure any kind of Cat or Tunnel hulls. Now, are there high performance boats and/or Cats insured with State Farm...Yes. How is this happening, ...don't know. Are agents not being truthful on the information passed on to State Farm? With knowledge of the guidelines, it would appear so. Or, are the State Farm boat underwriters not paying attention to company guidelines? It's a big mystery. :confused: :messedup:
My apologies for the book. I have written more on this topic here in my Insurance Section if you would like further reading. Please PM me your number and I would be happy to call you directly when convenient (for you).
Devin Wozencraft

94 TPR
11-24-2007, 12:23 PM
pm sent

Wozencraft
11-24-2007, 08:20 PM
pm sent
Just wrote back to you...thank you.
Devin Wozencraft

Felt The Need
11-25-2007, 03:31 AM
Hi Devin..did you have any luck finding out if you could help me out over here in Atl on what we talked about last week..please advise..FTN

94 TPR
11-25-2007, 12:50 PM
pm sent with time and #.