PDA

View Full Version : Golf cart question

boatnam2
10-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Im having a hell of a time getting my to charge,one minute it will the next it wont. I have cleaned everything new cables,filled batteries,insulators on charger plug in were gone thought that was the problem got new ones still the same.Any idea's.

Squeezing Spectra
10-25-2007, 04:13 PM
How is your battery charger LOL :D

DeltaSigBoater
10-25-2007, 04:34 PM
1. Is the outlet you plug the charger into on a switch?
2. Is the switch on? :D

Daddy_G
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
How old are they? You shouldn't get more than about 4 good years out of a set. My Yamaha 48v is on it's 5th summer and won't hold a charge more than 1/2 a day now.
Or..... One time (at band camp :)) I ran my batteries all the way down and had to charge them individually with an actual off-the-shelf battery charger before the golf cart charger would do its job.
Just some thoughts - good luck!

hkunz
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
How is the cart's key switch? Mine went bad and it drove me nuts figuring it out.

hkunz
10-25-2007, 04:58 PM
How old are they? You shouldn't get more than about 4 good years out of a set. My Yamaha 48v is on it's 5th summer and won't hold a charge more than 1/2 a day now.
Or..... One time (at band camp :)) I ran my batteries all the way down and had to charge them individually with an actual off-the-shelf battery charger before the golf cart charger would do its job.
My cart was old when I bought it 7 years ago, and the original batteries are still good. I leave it on the charger all the time when not in use. 6 Volt.

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-25-2007, 05:00 PM
maybe there is a short somewhere :D

Mandelon
10-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Maybe the charger is hot...? :D :sqeyes: :D

pebo
10-25-2007, 08:27 PM
I have had Charger cords go bad on the EZgo's. This is from pulling the Charger head from the cord not the head. Check the cord. :idea:

boatnam2
10-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Im thinking that might be it,we ran it pretty dead that last few times out but it has enough juice to drive it so that cant be it.Maybe a bad battery i got a newer charger :D anf the batteries are a year old.I had a loose connection on one and it melted the terminal pretty good maybe that battery is bad.

sdpm
10-26-2007, 07:29 AM
I have had Charger cords go bad on the EZgo's. This is from pulling the Charger head from the cord not the head. Check the cord. :idea:
I have had this same problem. Mine was broken and had been arcing across to each other and would work sometimes and not others. Look real close at the cable coating for bumps, blisters, soft spots, etc.

lake p.a.l.
10-26-2007, 08:03 AM
What kind of cart?

Mandelon
10-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Let me have it for a while, I'll work on it in my spare time. :D

boatnam2
10-26-2007, 05:37 PM
What kind of cart?
1998 ez-go non dcs.Im going to redo one of the bettery terminals it melted down prtty good and is not flat but a little bumpy it have scraped it to get fresh lead showing doubt if thats it but maybe.

boatnam2
10-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Let me have it for a while, I'll work on it in my spare time. :D
you dont have spare time:D

Hustler
10-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Buy a gas one, problem solved:D

SK48
10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
If it is a 48volt with and automatic charger, you need to clear the computer in the cart. It records how the batteries were discharged, and recharges them the way they were discharged. (does not make sense to me ) On most carts, disconnect the positive and negative cable, turn the key to the on position, put the cart in reverse and push the accelerator pedal down to the floor for thirty seconds. Reconnect the cables and try to charge and see what happens. This is how it is done on a Club cart.

boatnam2
10-26-2007, 07:10 PM
If it is a 48volt with and automatic charger, you need to clear the computer in the cart. It records how the batteries were discharged, and recharges them the way they were discharged. (does not make sense to me ) On most carts, disconnect the positive and negative cable, turn the key to the on position, put the cart in reverse and push the accelerator pedal down to the floor for thirty seconds. Reconnect the cables and try to charge and see what happens. This is how it is done on a Club cart.
ok i will give it a try.thanks

stvneil
10-26-2007, 08:55 PM
:idea: sounds like a dead cell in one or more of your batteries.

Mandelon
10-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Maybe you are putting too heavy a load in it. :D

boatnam2
10-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Maybe you are putting too heavy a load in it. :D
Now that could pe possible for sure:eek:

Trailer Park Casanova
10-27-2007, 06:38 AM
If all else suggested in this thread fails Jim, might be time for new cables and batts.
Costco just raised their 6 Volts to $79 ea, but a cable set can still be had from Buggies unlimited cheap.
I've never got more than 4 years out of any 6V batteries, and we're very dilligent about servicing them.
There are a few place in Havi that have 6V's for $49 if you check the ads in the local rags and flyers.

Baja Big Dog
10-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Assuming they are 6 volts? Try to charge one at a time, disconnect each battery first. Chrckk the amp meter on the charger (if it has one), this is not a real good test, but it will give you a quick check.
Get a load tester, Harbor freight (round 25 bucks) and test each battery. Sounds like a bad cell possibly in 1 battery. remember, your battery system is only as good as the worst battery!!
If its a 48 volt the game changes, you have to charge each battery with a 12 volt charger, at LOW amps, and dont leave on long, yo will boil acid and tattoo your garage floor!
Ive got some battery testing equipment, but its for 12 volts!

boatnam2
10-27-2007, 05:15 PM
If all else suggested in this thread fails Jim, might be time for new cables and batts.
Costco just raised their 6 Volts to $79 ea, but a cable set can still be had from Buggies unlimited cheap.
I've never got more than 4 years out of any 6V batteries, and we're very dilligent about servicing them.
There are a few place in Havi that have 6V's for $49 if you check the ads in the local rags and flyers.
i put a whole new cable set in tpc so thinking it is a battery.will check on prices thanks.

boatnam2
10-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Assuming they are 6 volts? Try to charge one at a time, disconnect each battery first. Chrckk the amp meter on the charger (if it has one), this is not a real good test, but it will give you a quick check.
Get a load tester, Harbor freight (round 25 bucks) and test each battery. Sounds like a bad cell possibly in 1 battery. remember, your battery system is only as good as the worst battery!!
If its a 48 volt the game changes, you have to charge each battery with a 12 volt charger, at LOW amps, and dont leave on long, yo will boil acid and tattoo your garage floor!
Ive got some battery testing equipment, but its for 12 volts!
thanks BBD its a 36 volt so im going to get a tester when i get off wed. I just hate taking something in that i know is simple to fix and getting rang up for a couple hundred bucks for a 2 minute fix.I will do it but not until i have tryed to get it fixed myself.

boatnam2
10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
well worked on the g-cart today,took the charger down to have it tested and it wouldn't charge a different cart so i guess it is bad kinda weird because it worked the first time when i plugged it in the other day.I guess our word for today is karma.

HM
10-29-2007, 02:42 PM
well worked on the g-cart today,took the charger down to have it tested and it wouldn't charge a different cart so i guess it is bad kinda weird because it worked the first time when i plugged it in the other day.I guess or word for today is karma.
It's fun to have a word.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
10-29-2007, 03:14 PM
LOL, what are the odds that your newly acquired charger is bad. hahahaha :D
But you had this problem with the old charger too, no?

phebus
10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Have you taken the charger apart yet? Possibly some internal fusing.

boatnam2
10-29-2007, 03:57 PM
LOL, what are the odds that your newly acquired charger is bad. hahahaha :D
But you had this problem with the old charger too, no?
that is the problem grasshopper, it did it with both chargers well all 3 chargers but after i got the cables replaced at the river i cant remember if i tried both chargers. Maybe the loose wire screwed up both chargers but i don't think so.So im not really sure what is going on im going to get a charger see if it works, if not im thinking a match and gas sounds good:D

boatnam2
10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Have you taken the charger apart yet? Possibly some internal fusing.
mat take a look really dont know how to check contenuity sp? but could spot a corrosive spot.I guess there are 2 types of powerwise charger not sure which i have but one has 1 board and the other has 2 boards.Boards are around 120 bucks or so by the time i have someone test it get the parts and fix it im looking at 200 bucks or so.Might as well borrow i mean buy another one.