PDA

View Full Version : CA non-commercial Class A License

Brewzed
10-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Do any of you guys have your California Non-Commerical Class A for recreational vehicles? I'm going to be taking the written test next week and hopefully the driving test the week after. I guess I have to take an examiner around with my 5th wheel. Should be a good time.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I'd wager most that need them don't have them.
Good Luck.
I'll be getting mine next year no doubt.

BLOWN HOWARD
10-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Need to get mine also. Let us know how the written goes.

MKEELINE
10-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Is this what you need to double tow?

BLOWN HOWARD
10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
This is what you need to Tow a Bumper pull over 10k and a Fifth Wheel over 15K

gas Hogg
10-26-2007, 01:35 PM
I've had my commercial class a for ten years five in cali. I didn't even know you had to get a recreational class a. The test are very easy and they ask the same question several times. Good Luck.

Xlration Marine
10-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Heck I have the actual test. Az test that is. It was given to me by a co-worker. I went and took the test, about 5 minutes. The guy at the counter said "so where are the answers". I said "there out in my truck". LOL. I don't know what your road test is like, but I had to be able to back up in an "S" and not hit the cones. Have fun.

Danhercules
10-26-2007, 01:46 PM
This is what you need to Tow a Bumper pull over 10k and a Fifth Wheel over 15K
You can get a endorsment if you wanna tow a 5er from 10k to 15k. Thats what I have.
You need this is your gonna tow a 5er over 10k. Most are and most peeps dont have the endorsment.
The test for the endorsment is the same as the non commercial "A". The test was easy.

Brewzed
10-26-2007, 01:53 PM
My new 5th wheel's GVWR is a little over 16K pounds. I just want to get it in case something happens. Even if your 5th wheel is between 10K and 15K pounds your supposed to have an endorsement on your Class C license. Anything over 15K needs the Class A. I towed my old travel trailer which had a 12K GVWR without the Class A. The limits on a Class C for a travel trailer is 10K. I had no idea they were needed.

Brewzed
10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
The test for the endorsment is the same as the non commercial "A". The test was easy.
That's what I like to hear. Looking at the booklet, it looks pretty simple

bohica
10-26-2007, 01:57 PM
The in office stuff is a breeze, simply little test, a health questionaire. I've only been able to get my permit, good for a year and you can renew it every year. Haven't been able to take the driving test since my rig is over-length and that's a big no no with the examiners.

HocusPocus
10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
good luck on the test... just relax and don't let them intimidate you. I no longer drive truck but i have kept my commercial license and endorsements current, just in case i get the wild idea of driving again. :eek:

DeltaSigBoater
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
So what is the punishment/fine for not having the license or the endorsement?

Brewzed
10-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure. I'm not too worried about getting a fine. I'm more worried about it for insurance purposes in case I give someone a love tap or something like that. I would hate to the get the "I'm sorry" from my insurance compan or if they CHP would impound my goods if I get pulled over.

Brewzed
11-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Just got back from the DMV. Passed w/o any problems. :D Permit is good for a year. Going the end of next week for the driving part.
Even if you trailer is under 15K pounds you still need an endorsement. It's the same test. It's sucks to go to the DMV, but it would suck to get the ticket without it.

rivrrts429
11-02-2007, 05:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken its like $950 and some change. Thats not the worse part of it. You have to drop the trailer right then and there and find some one with proper endorsments or proper tow vehicle to bring it back.:eek:
Chips is on the lookout for any ball mount triple axle trailer, since they are the #1 culprits.
Your license is useless if your truck isnt rated for it. Some of these 5ers behind 3/4 ton short beds make no sense. If you blow a tire on the truck that trailer is going to be the deciding factor of where you end up.

Chipster27
11-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I have mine. Got it over 2 years ago. Just be careful on the driving. They want you to do a full "pre-trip" inspection and explain what you are inspecting and why. The driving part is easy. If you have driven with your trailer for more than a month you should pass with no problem.
I missed the "down shift on a downhill" and "check the intersection before entering" on the driving test.
I did it for the same reason you are doing it; insurance and liability. I bet 90 percent of the LEOs don't have any clue about this test or the requirement. Just like my F450 is supposed to have the CA and DOT registration. :idea:

LUVNLIFE
11-03-2007, 06:13 AM
If you check out the forums on Glamisdunes.com there are several threads with all the info you could want about this subject;)

LUVNLIFE
11-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Just go to the RV tech section;)

slow450
11-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Try this link in Trailerlife, toy hauler section "CA noncommercial Class A or B RV endorsement" http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20413209.cfm.
I just got mine. I think you need to read about the Pre-test inspection. That was the hardest part.
Slow

JetBoatRich
11-03-2007, 10:46 AM
sounds like better be safe then sorry, I need to get mine:idea:

LOWRIVER2
11-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm getting my class B next week through work so I'll be good with my trailer as well. Lots of rumors about increased enforcement, did'nt see it last weekend to and from Glamis.

SOCALDETAIL1
11-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I got my class A when I was 24. Never renewed it since I never used it. Dumb ass me. Now I want it again:(

craiginlaverne
11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Do the RV dealerships tell you guys you need these types of endorsements BEFORE you buy the RV? If they do, why do they let customers drive them off the lot?

Brewzed
11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm getting my class B next week through work so I'll be good with my trailer as well. Lots of rumors about increased enforcement, did'nt see it last weekend to and from Glamis.
with a Class B you are still limited to a trailer under 9K lbs. If you tow more than that you have to get the endorsement to go to 15K. It's the same test a the non-commercial Class A, you just don't have to take the driving part.

Brewzed
11-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I have mine. Got it over 2 years ago. Just be careful on the driving. They want you to do a full "pre-trip" inspection and explain what you are inspecting and why. The driving part is easy. If you have driven with your trailer for more than a month you should pass with no problem.
I missed the "down shift on a downhill" and "check the intersection before entering" on the driving test.
I did it for the same reason you are doing it; insurance and liability. I bet 90 percent of the LEOs don't have any clue about this test or the requirement. Just like my F450 is supposed to have the CA and DOT registration. :idea:
thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to study the "pre-trip" section of the book. I've been towing since I got my license, so hopefully that part will go well.

Brewzed
11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Do the RV dealerships tell you guys you need these types of endorsements BEFORE you buy the RV? If they do, why do they let customers drive them off the lot?
I'm sure they do with a Class A moho. I bought both my trailers from the same dealer and they never said anything. Both required the Class A or the endorsement. It's all good now. I was just thowing it out there for guys that didn't know. I'm sure there are a few guys on here in Ca with boats over 10K lbs on the trailer.

OCMerrill
11-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Just like my F450 is supposed to have the CA and DOT registration. :idea:
And this is so true. We have box trucks and on our last inspection I asked the officer what gives with these HD pickups and he said that in the near future they will start to enforce the MCP and weight stickers on any pickup capable of towing more than 11,400 lbs. If they are pulling anything other than a RV they will be required to scale. Even pulling a car trailer will have to scale.
I can see all those F450 and F550 badges in the trash can and 350 badges going on.:D
The MCP is just $35 per year private but it's the CA numbers on the door that suck.
If you go out of CA the the DOT numbers are all you need. You need a MCP in CA but only need to display the DOT's.
It's all about the monies.:D

LOWRIVER2
11-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Brewzed, very true, I just have to tow it down to the DMV and do the pre trip inspection, not a big deal. Besides, most LE's would appreciate a class B (acutually have to prove you can drive) with my air brake endorsement over a stamp of non commercial, ask around.
RIO- Hey, I want to be in compliance and I need it for my off duty jobs, as for the question someone posted about dealers telling customers about the licensing-Absolutely not. I'd bet those dealers are actually wide open to civil liability when one of these RV's ends up in an accident and the driver advises that they never were informed at purchase time.
As for the new enforcement, like most everything else, it only became an issue after a CHP officer was injured in a collision involving an RV operated by an "unlicensed-RV noncommercial", driver. I talked to commercial CHP in downtown and they said the rule of thumb for pulling a stop to check for it is three axles on TAG trailers and over 28ft. on 5th wheels. That seems about right as most of those are in the weight ratings for the license.
A few of the new WW 5'ers have been cited on overwide violations because the owners did not take the side ladders off during transit. You'd think WW would have known this would be an issue and left the ladders on the front, what do I know?/lol.

Brewzed
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Actually have to prove you can drive with the non-commercial class a too. You don't if you get the under 15K endorsement. You don't have to do the pre trip, you just have to take the little test. I was just paraphrasing from the book.
I don't think LE, especially CHP care what kind of endorsements you have if you not in within the licensing requirements.

LOWRIVER2
11-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Rio, I totally agree. I'm no different than anyone else and I would'nt want discretion with my Sergeant's badge.
Brewzed, I'm getting the under 15k stamp as my trailer is around 13.5k with a sand car in it.
I want a Class A but we only have auto trans two axle buses at work to test right now. I'm gonna do some trade for a buddy with a ten wheeler Pete to borrow it for the test down the road.

rivrrts429
11-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Brewzed, very true, I just have to tow it down to the DMV and do the pre trip inspection, not a big deal. Besides, most LE's would appreciate a class B (acutually have to prove you can drive) with my air brake endorsement over a stamp of non commercial, ask around.
RIO- Hey, I want to be in compliance and I need it for my off duty jobs, as for the question someone posted about dealers telling customers about the licensing-Absolutely not. I'd bet those dealers are actually wide open to civil liability when one of these RV's ends up in an accident and the driver advises that they never were informed at purchase time.
As for the new enforcement, like most everything else, it only became an issue after a CHP officer was injured in a collision involving an RV operated by an "unlicensed-RV noncommercial", driver. I talked to commercial CHP in downtown and they said the rule of thumb for pulling a stop to check for it is three axles on TAG trailers and over 28ft. on 5th wheels. That seems about right as most of those are in the weight ratings for the license.
A few of the new WW 5'ers have been cited on overwide violations because the owners did not take the side ladders off during transit. You'd think WW would have known this would be an issue and left the ladders on the front, what do I know?/lol.
I dont think dealers are required to inform you of all the laws in towing trailers. They're just selling you a trailer, now if you come back and tow it out of there after purchase thats a different story. Do Harley dealers require you to show an M1 license before you purchase? I really don't know thats why I'm asking. Seems to me it would be the same liability issues. I know my buddy bought a street bike, didnt have an M1, and drove away with it. Everyone wants to blame or point the finger at someone else for their own mistake. Seems to me that you need to know what is safe, legal, and logical and that should fall square on the operators shoulders. Its not the Highway Patrols responsibility to explain every law of the road to me, but it is my responsibility to know them, and if I miss one law and get ticketed its my fault.
I think its a real grey area with how the law pertains to dealers. You'll probably find just as many people who say the Dealer is responsible as says you are responsible. Bottom line is its our job to know the rules of the road not theirs but you would think they would want to keep everyone safe. Just my .02 Hows that for a wishy washy answer:D :D

LOWRIVER2
11-05-2007, 06:25 PM
When I bought my Street Glide, the Harley Dealer COPIED my M1 and told me all non M1 buyers either have it towed off the lot or a licensed M1 buddy drives it off.
As far as tickets, accidents, of course the buyer is primarily at fault. I'm talking about an accident involving injuries/death and the injured parties lawyer looking for some deep pockets.
I've been away from here for a long time, I'm LEO, I know ignorance is no exemption from laws, I'm talking about the ramifications of a dealer allowing someone to drive/tow something off a lot that they are not licensed for (happened to me/most other +10klb TAG trailer owners) and I, of all people, should've known better. I've asked ten CHP (non commercial officers) and NONE of them knew this law. As for my dept., we rarely deal with trailers so it's more like 80% that would'nt be aware of it. It's safe to say MOST NON COMMERCIAL ENFORCEMENT cops don't know about this certification. I'm still responsible to get endorsed, just an obscure set of laws that need to brought to the attention of the RV sales industry.
My trailer says it's weight is 10k lbs. (in policy/no endorsement). The problem is, fill it with 120 gallons of water, load all the necessities and add a car, (which the trailer is intended to do), and you need the endorsement. I'm sure the mfg.'s are doing this to try to hide from the endorsement but it's wrong as most toy haulers weigh much more than advertised.