PDA

View Full Version : Ever gone back to the place

Her454
10-26-2007, 01:45 PM
where you grew up? I grew up in Concord and haven't been back to the house in about 20 or so years. My parents sold it in 74'. The other day my sister and I took a drive by the old house and WOW. Funny how things change....and SHRINK. I remember the house being very large, as was the yard. A portion of the front had burned and made it look different too but it sure had changed.
We (SHE) knocked on the door and was going to ask the current residents if they minded if we took a peek inside. I wanted to see it reallllllll bad but told her she was crazy and kinda hid behind the car. :eek: No one answered the door but I'm sure they would have said "no".
If I was home alone and that happened to me I don't think I would have let anyone in, but if my husband was home and it was two innocent looking ladies...maybe. :D What would you have said?

thatguy
10-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Still waiting to grow up.
Tommy

Quest4Fun
10-26-2007, 01:52 PM
My parents still live in the same house I grew up in so yea, I see it often. They have owned it for over 40 years, so I think it will be very strange when it is time for them to sell it to someone new.

Caribbean Jet
10-26-2007, 01:53 PM
My old nieghbors still live in their house and I go back often to see them. It's the only house that went to crap... We used to take great pride in our home. Sad to see.

HocusPocus
10-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I spent alot of my time in a small town in Texas called Morton, my grandfather was the chief of police then (early 60's), he died in 1965 when I was 3. My grandmother lived there for many more years and died in 2001 at 88. Lots of great memories in that house they built, mostly of the holidays and the meals she spent hours preparing for everyone. I have often thought about going back there some day with the wife and kids to show them some of my roots.

Her454
10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
My old nieghbors still live in their house and I go back often to see them. It's the only house that went to crap... We used to take great pride in our home. Sad to see.
It was very sad actually. The whole neighborhood has gone to crap.
I really wanted to see inside and check out the backyard where my dad put our footprints, names & the date in the patio. :D

Boatcop
10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I grew up in Hawthorne in the late 50's, 60's and early '70s.
Back then it was a nice little middle class suburb. We could run all over town, stay out late on Friday and Saturday nights, playing Ditch-em with friends. Hang out in the parks at night.
Now whenever I dirve through there, I make sure the truck windows are up and the doors locked.
Let's just say it's not the same nice little town I grew up in. :(

Dave C
10-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I bought my house(s) one mile from where I grew up and my parents still live there 35 years later..... so I see it every Sunday night at dinner time ;) :D
They watch my kid two afternoons per week.... so he rides his bike where I grew up....
I plan on living here so my son will go to the same elementary, middle and maybe even high school that I attended.
everything looks the same for some strange reason :idea: :devil: :)
Growing up I said I would never live here cuz its too quiet. Now I live here because its quiet.....

Froggystyle
10-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I grew up in Sonoma.
There is a Starbucks there now... about the only difference I have seen. :D

DeltaSigBoater
10-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Lived in Huntington Beach for the first 6 years of my life, every so often I drive by. It was for sale a few years ago and went in during an open house, still had my height notches on the door.
Lived in Mission Viejo ’87 to ’93 drove by a few times, last time was about 5 years ago, left a sick feeling with me for a couple days, haven’t been back since.
Moved back to HB in '93, still the same house.
My grandparents have lived in the same house for 30 years in HB. So not much has changed, but thankfully they have up dated the décor over the years!

Moneypitt
10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
My mom still lives in the house I grew up in, be 58 years in November...Quite a few changes in the area, but the street it's self looks about the same...MP

djunkie
10-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Ya I just moved out of there about 5 months ago and I try not to go back as much as possible. :D :D

gramps
10-26-2007, 03:12 PM
About 10 years ago I went back to Monterey Park, grew up there in the 50's & early 60's. I couldn't read any of the signs............

Boatcop
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
About 10 years ago I went back to Monterey Park, grew up there in the 50's & early 60's. I couldn't read any of the signs............
Que???

totenhosen
10-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Que???
Not quite, more along the lines of an entirely different alphabet.

Her454
10-26-2007, 03:27 PM
I grew up in Sonoma.
Froggy, you need your eyes checked.:D
drove by a few times, last time was about 5 years ago, left a sick feeling with me for a couple days, haven’t been back since.
Moved back to HB in '93, still the same house.
Thats the feeling I had when we drove off.
So no one has answered my question... would you let someone in to check out the place if it was their childhood history?

DeltaSigBoater
10-26-2007, 03:35 PM
So no one has answered my question... would you let someone in to check out the place if it was their childhood history?
Very Unlikely :devil:

Her454
10-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Very Unlikely :devil:
LOL, thats probably the general consensus. She wanted to go back and try again.....:confused: :D

Havasu1986
10-26-2007, 03:43 PM
My dad has the same house in Bellflower since 55'. Things haven't changed to much.

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes and I am still here. :cry: :220v: :D :D

maxwedge
10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I only live a few blocks from the house where I grew up, so I walk the dog past it pretty often, still looks about the same really. The little maple trees we planted when I was about 5 are now about 60 feet tall, and the kids that live there now have a hell of a lot nicer swing set than we ever had, but neighborhood still looks pretty good.

Her454
10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes and I am still here. :cry: :220v: :D :D
You live in the same house you grew up in as a kid? WOW! :D

Her454
10-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I only live a few blocks from the house where I grew up, so I walk the dog past it pretty often, still looks about the same really. The little maple trees we planted when I was about 5 are now about 60 feet tall, and the kids that live there now have a hell of a lot nicer swing set than we ever had, but neighborhood still looks pretty good.
It was the opposite at my old house. My dads lawn and tree's were gone. He had 3huge oaks out front. Now there is nothing but a few patches of dry grass.

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
You live in the same house you grew up in as a kid? WOW! :D
about 10 blocks from it. :D :jawdrop:

ChumpChange
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Go by a few times a year when I have an appointment in the area. Glad I moved out of there.

Her454
10-26-2007, 04:23 PM
I took my son to the house I grew up in when he was a little baby. He was still in a carrier. I knocked on the door and told the people who I was. They let us in, gave me a drink and BSd for a few minutes. It was pretty cool. They were only the 2nd owners since we had sold it 30 years earlier.
Thats what my sister was hoping for. We just wanted to take a quick peek inside. :D
I was hoping if enough people said they would let a stranger in, I'd have enough courage to go back with her LOL.

maxwedge
10-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Actually my dad talked to the guy that lives in our old house a few years back and they let him in and showed him around. This is a pretty small town though and my dad looks like your basic harmless old guy.

Her454
10-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Actually my dad talked to the guy that lives in our old house a few years back and they let him in and showed him around. This is a pretty small town though and my dad looks like your basic harmless old guy.
Yeah, I'm pretty harmless looking too.
You left out old LOL..........:D

YeLLowBoaT
10-26-2007, 04:33 PM
I painted the house that I was in to the age of 8.
When I 1st got the call and they gave me the address it brought back alot of memorys. The only thing that had really changed in that house is they took out the tree I use to love to climb

Oldsquirt
10-26-2007, 04:42 PM
We (SHE) knocked on the door and was going to ask the current residents if they minded if we took a peek inside. I wanted to see it reallllllll bad but told her she was crazy and kinda hid behind the car. :eek: No one answered the door but I'm sure they would have said "no".
Several years ago I knocked on that door. No one was home then, either.

mrs.rvrluvr
10-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Mr.rvrluvr and I grew up in Claremont. Now we live in Upland. Things have changed a lot since we were kids. His sister bought the house he grew up in. The house I grew up in was sold and the people totally remodeled it. Looks awesome now. We are looking to purchase a house in Claremont soon. We really love it there. It's neat to show my kids the schools we went to, the places we hung out at, etc.

Her454
10-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Several years ago I knocked on that door. No one was home then, either.
You knocked on the door? I didnt know that, I thought you just took pics for me. :D Soooooooo cool of you to do BTW.

Her454
10-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I did that on purpose. Thanks. :D
You are more than welcome. Sorry, those damn gophers have me a little frazzled tonight! :D

Quest4Fun
10-26-2007, 05:50 PM
You know whats really weird?? I posted earlier that my folks have lived in the same house for over 40 years...But when I was in my 20's I worked with a guy that actually grew up in the house that my parents bought and that I grew up in. We learned this fact after working together for a few years. I told my parents, and they had him and his family over for dinner - it was a "small world" thing!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-26-2007, 05:56 PM
We plan on going by the house I grew up at in Chiloquin, OR next summer. We hope to make our trip to Montana up the CA/OR/WA coast and take a detour across the Cascades to see the house that my dad built. I am really looking forward to showing the things in that area to my kids. And the fishing!! 3-4 pound Rainbow are the norm there. My son is gonna flip! :) Then we'll head to Crater Lake and take a hike and head back to the coast (yes, I have it all planned LOL). I can't wait to go back. It was a beautiful place to grow up.
As for Jeff, we live in the house he grew up in and the kids went to the same elementary school he did. That's pretty cool.

Boatcop
10-26-2007, 06:23 PM
I didn't actually grow up in it, but my Dad's family home in Upper Michigan was built by my Great Uncle, John Anderson (http://www.jacksjoint.com/anderson.htm). He was the first Surfman at the Coast Guard (then US Life Saving Service) Station in Marquette, Michigan. He built a house across the RR tracks from the Station in the early 1900's.
My Grandparents later moved in and lived there until my Grandfather's death in 1982. The basement was a workshop and food cellar. He had the biggest assortment of tools I have ever seen. I remember that my grandfather would never throw anything away.
The last time I was there, my dad took me out to the chicken coop and showed me a barrel of nails. He told me that he took those nails out of a bunch of scrap wood when he was about 10 years old, and his dad made him hammer every one of them straight, so they could be re-used. He said it took him several months to pound them all out. The barrel was still in the exact same location, and in the same condition as when he left it, 50 years before. They hadn't been touched, since.
I've been back to see the house a few times, and it is a marvel of workmanship. Still pretty much original.

Baja Big Dog
10-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I didnt even knock, I just walked in.....my dad still live in the house I grew up in hes in Hacienda Heights, quite Asian now a days.:D

LHC Kirby
10-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Left New York in 72', went back there, Knocked on the door and asked if I could walk through it. . .. they said yes, come on in. Not much had changed (painted and maintained nicely). I than went next door where the "cookie lady" lived. She still lives next door to our house, and had cookies in the freezer - She was mad that I did not call in advance - so she could make fresh cookies.
The whole street - looked the same. but smaller just like someone else said.

Her454
10-26-2007, 06:51 PM
We plan on going by the house I grew up at in Chiloquin, OR next summer. We hope to make our trip to Montana up the CA/OR/WA coast and take a detour across the Cascades to see the house that my dad built. I am really looking forward to showing the things in that area to my kids. And the fishing!! 3-4 pound Rainbow are the norm there. My son is gonna flip! :) Then we'll head to Crater Lake and take a hike and head back to the coast (yes, I have it all planned LOL). I can't wait to go back. It was a beautiful place to grow up.
As for Jeff, we live in the house he grew up in and the kids went to the same elementary school he did. That's pretty cool.
Angie, that sounds awsome! My husband and I went to Crater Lake last year and it is absolutely beautiful. Pictures do not do it justice.
I think its cool you guys live in the same house your husband grew up in and the same schools! Pretty cool.

Lightning
10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I bought my house(s) one mile from where I grew up and my parents still live there 35 years later..... so I see it every Sunday night at dinner time ;) :D
They watch my kid two afternoons per week.... so he rides his bike where I grew up....
I plan on living here so my son will go to the same elementary, middle and maybe even high school that I attended.
everything looks the same for some strange reason :idea: :devil: :)
Growing up I said I would never live here cuz its too quiet. Now I live here because its quiet.....
Cool story Dave. I grew up in Belmont and my parents live in the same house I grew up in. I now live in San Diego, however my brother moved back to Belmont a few years ago and is now raising his daughter there. I go back to my parents house a few times a year and always stop into Village Host for a pizza when I am back in town. Hasn't changed much really....a few bigger homes and the old baseball field behind the church is no longer there. I remember when the Chevron on Alameda and Ralston used to have an actual service station with auto reapair.

ChumpChange
10-26-2007, 06:56 PM
The house I grew up in was sold and the people totally remodeled it. Looks awesome now.
I wonder if I bought it. :idea:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-26-2007, 08:37 PM
I looked online last year and found the section that my great-grandfather homesteaded in Lead, SD (about 6 miles from Sturgis and 4 from Deadwood). I have a photo of the old place and plan on visiting it sometime and seeing if I can scoop up a coffeecan full of dirt.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Funny you mention this Traci.
Just last week, I slowly drove through my old neighborhood. Last I saw it I was 17, and off to the Marine Corps.
Even stopped off at the local dive bar, the Copper Bucket. A bar I had never been in before but where all the drinking parents hung out. http://www.copperbucket.com/
Almost every home on my block brought back a memory.
No air conditioning in those hot summer days, so with everyones windows wide open no privacy at all. You could hear the kids from Texas getting whoopins' what seemed like daily.
Everyone knew everyones business. Some homes had scary parents, some had cool parents, some parents are still there.
No one ever locked their doors, never remember anyone ever calling the LEOS.
It's 305 feet to the center field fence at my local high school just one street over from our house. I had hit a baseball over that fence once that traveled across the street into Carolyn Akins front yard. Coach Binder told me it was farther than Yankee Stadium (then). But,, I wasn't swingin' off a Whitey Ford pitch, it was my dopie friend Keith Kurlander who pitched me a meatloaf.
Ahhhh the memories.
But you're right, everything has shrunk.
Walking to the store for my mom to get her a 13 cent pack of Lucky Strikes and a 99 cent 6 pax of Lucky Lager (riddle beer) seemed like miles, yet now just a few blocks really. The Piggly Wiggly now a Valero.
The local strip malls long ago lost their english language signs, and almost as long ago lost their Spanish language signs. The Korean signs are now fading into Arabic it appears..

Trailer Park Casanova
10-27-2007, 06:23 AM
We had all put our handprints in the back patio cement when we were very little.
My sister and I asked the current homeowner if we could see them,,, they were cool, and we did.
We remembered the backyard as much bigger. Damn it shrunk.

gramps
10-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Not quite, more along the lines of an entirely different alphabet.
I could fake my way thru "que".............the stuff they had on signs was chicken scratch.

gramps
10-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Mr.rvrluvr and I grew up in Claremont. Now we live in Upland
I was in Upland from the 70's - 1995. Things there have changed a bunch since '95.

westair
10-27-2007, 06:56 AM
I didnt even knock, I just walked in.....my dad still live in the house I grew up in hes in Hacienda Heights, quite Asian now a days.:D
Grew up in Hacienda Height also, my mother still lives in the same house .... went to Los Altos High

Her454
10-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Funny you mention this Traci.
But you're right, everything has shrunk.
Walking to the store for my mom to get her a 13 cent pack of Lucky Strikes and a 99 cent 6 pax of Lucky Lauger seemed like miles, yet now just a few blocks really. The Piggly Wiggly now a Valero.
I had thought of that too. I used to walk to Louis Store. Seemed like an eternity walking it when I was a kid and the other day it was a very short distance. Signs were all gone and the name had changed. Pizza parlor across the street was gone too.
You could hear the kids from Texas getting whoopins' what seemed like daily.
Everyone knew everyones business. Some homes had scary parents, some had cool parents, some parents are still there.
The house across the street from us...The Fergusons. Drinking, fighting, loud parents for sure. Very dirty family, and I mean filth. They had at least 15 Sheltie (sp) dogs that I remember and kept them in the house. Opened their freezer one time to get an ice cream and found the head to one of them. Still don't know why it was there but it scared the shit out of me as a kid. Woke up one morning a few years later to find the two youngest kids watching cartoons in our living room. My mother told me they wouldn't be going to school that day because their mother was dead. Rumor had it for years afterward that the dad killed her with a garden house somehow. Saw that house the other day too, still gave me the creeps. :eek:

mrs.rvrluvr
10-27-2007, 07:44 AM
I wonder if I bought it. :idea:
Its possible. My mom really let the place go. The new owners completely re-landscaped the front yard and made the place like new.

spectratoad
10-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Well I still live where I grew up, Reno. But I was born and lived in Gardena down in LA until I was four. I haven't gone back but have heard about it. From what I've heard I would have no reason to go back unless I have a craving for tacos and there is no other place to find them. :D
Everything does get smaller when you get older. No giggiling there. I was talking how I thought I was all grown up when I could get on the truck tailgate all by myself.

Cas
10-27-2007, 08:03 AM
I grew up in Sonoma.
things have changed a lot here!
Albertson's has gone back to being Lucky's, another Starbuck's in Safeway, Whole Foods came in where Ralph's used to be, Jack inthe Box added a couple of new items to the menu and a gang murder a couple of days ago in Maxwell Park.....
http://sonomanews.com/

Lightning
10-27-2007, 08:53 AM
To answer your question...i'd knock on the door and ask to check it out. The worst they will tell you is "no"; which will end in the same result as never asking.

ChumpChange
10-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Its possible. My mom really let the place go. The new owners completely re-landscaped the front yard and made the place like new.
Where was the house? You talking about the one right on Baseline? If so, I know those people to. I'm sure Claremont is much bigger than the houses I see though. :D We didn't remodel the outside.....yet. Just a full remodel of the interior.

Not So Fast
10-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Pasadena-Altadena for me and my God has that old place turned into crap. it was a nicely kept little neighborhood, mostly white working class people. The schools, George Washington Jr. High and John Muir High School were pretty well mixed racially. Now dont bring up the bigot crap here OK, this is just fact. We spent one day going back not long ago and the neighborhoods are basically all black now and in total shambles, very, very sad:My parents house which was small but well kept had broken down trucks and cars strewn about the yard. :( The schools which were very old schools and built like they used to build them, very ornate with concrete designs, they were now lined with 10 ft high chainlink fence with razor wire on the perimeters :eek: As some of you said, it was possible to play outside until late in the evening, hide and seek, ditch, kickball under the street lights etc. As it is now I dont think it would be safe driving through there after dark. SAD!! NSF

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 10:36 AM
I would let someone into my house, but probably not more than one person if I was alone. And only women. I would only let a man in if my husband was home.

BOBALOO
10-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I had a couple older ladies (around late 70's) come by my house 4 years ago scouting out their old neighborhood. They bought it new in 1949 and my grandparents bought it in about 1965. Chit chatted for a while and would have let them in if they wanted. I think if someone had their kids with them most people would not have a prob letting them in for a peek.
I travel past my old house once or so a year going to the north side of town.

Her454
10-27-2007, 03:54 PM
I would let someone into my house, but probably not more than one person if I was alone. And only women. I would only let a man in if my husband was home.
I think I'll take my daughter next time. Although she isn't a child (20) maybe that will help. She will probably think "Mom, you grew up in this dump?" :D We are going down to the area again in a couple of weeks. I plan on taking some old pics of the house with me. In fact, I have torn my house apart today looking for the old pic WITH the real estate ad/listing that describes the house, price and agent. I know I have it somewhere and I want to compare pics from 1974.

Flyinbowtie
10-27-2007, 04:29 PM
When I was born my folks lived on Scott St. in north Long Beach, off of L.B. Blvd just north of the L.B. Fwy. I went to Kindergarten at Starr King, then we moved to 46th St, between Atlantic and Orange Ave.
I lived there until I left home after graduating from Jordan in '76.
Folks sold the house in '78. My mother stays in touch with our former next-door-neighbors, who still live there. Several years ago I took the boys by there and stopped to see the neighbors.
It is strange how the huge trees I used to climb look so much smaller, and how surreal the whole neighborhood seems. None of the kids I grew up with live anywhere near their old homes. Last summer the people in "our" house added a second story to it.
Mom says it "Isn't our house anymore" after hearing that news.
Still remember the address and phone number 32 years after I left.

Her454
10-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Mom says it "Isn't our house anymore" after hearing that news.
Still remember the address and phone number 32 years after I left.
My mom used to say the same after hearing they tore out her hardwood floors.
I remember it well also. 2027 Solano Way. 415.687.5187. Long, long time ago. Hope no one can trace me from the numbers of my youth LOL.

intense
10-27-2007, 04:42 PM
My mom used to say the same after hearing they tore out her hardwood floors.
I remember it well also. 2027 Solano Way. 415.687.5187. Long, long time ago. Hope no one can trace me from the numbers of my youth LOL.
Do you know any of the Cowells from Concord?

Her454
10-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Do you know any of the Cowells from Concord?
No, but I used to swim at Cowell Park when I was a kid..... The huge pool with the high dives......... (or at least it was huge when I was a kid :D )

intense
10-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Know the place well swam there also:D

Her454
10-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Know the place well swam there also:D
Small world. Did you go to school there? I went to Hillcrest Elem and my brothers and sisters all graduated from Mt Diablo High.

intense
10-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Nope my Father grew up there I only went there to visit my Arkie Grandparents:D

Her454
10-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Nope my Father grew up there I only went there to visit my Arkie Grandparents:D
Yuck. I used to love Concord, now I hate it.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I think I'll take my daughter next time. Although she isn't a child (20) maybe that will help. She will probably think "Mom, you grew up in this dump?" :D We are going down to the area again in a couple of weeks. I plan on taking some old pics of the house with me. In fact, I have torn my house apart today looking for the old pic WITH the real estate ad/listing that describes the house, price and agent. I know I have it somewhere and I want to compare pics from 1974.
You should take copies of the pics with a scanner and take them with you. The current owners would probably think that's cool if you gave them pics of their house from 30 years ago. I know I would.

NoCal NoBoat
10-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Her 454 -
I live off Cowell Road, very near Concord Community Park. Coached a lot of soccer there, and know the pool well. They just put a couple of million into it - swimming is still huge out here. I tell my daughter they should name it after Natalie Coughlin, the Olympic champion - I'm told she spent a lot of early mornings in it.
A lot of things have changed here in the 20 years I've lived here, some of it not so good.
I love the summer weather and the easy commute, though.

Her454
10-27-2007, 05:19 PM
You should take copies of the pics with a scanner and take them with you. The current owners would probably think that's cool if you gave them pics of their house from 30 years ago. I know I would.
That's what I wanted to do but I can't find the orginal listing when it sold. I have pics but they only show bits and pieces of the house and you can't really tell it's the same house. I'm still looking tho, I've had those pics forever and I know I have them somewhere. :(
I bought my house in 2005 and it was built in 1943. Its an old ranch house and I bought it from a friends parents that lived here for almost 40 years. In fact its 1069Dimarco on the boards. He grew up in it but has no pics of it from growing up and his parents have passed on. Also, the closest neighbors have history with it as well. His wife's family built the house. They said they have a few pics of it way back then but I haven't seen anything yet. There was a large swimming pool that was the shape of a horse head that was filled in some 30 years back. I found tons of old cement when I cleared the property. I would LOVe to see pics of it when it was built.

Her454
10-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Her 454 -
I live off Cowell Road, very near Concord Community Park. Coached a lot of soccer there, and know the pool well. They just put a couple of million into it - swimming is still huge out here. I tell my daughter they should name it after Natalie Coughlin, the Olympic champion - I'm told she spent a lot of early mornings in it.
A lot of things have changed here in the 20 years I've lived here, some of it not so good.
I love the summer weather and the easy commute, though.
I remember that park very well. That is one of the few things I remember about Concord. I remember the Park N Shop.....and the A&W I used to go to with my dad across the street from that.........and then a park downtown that was near a Well Fargo Bank, across from a REXALL Drugs.....with a large curvy slide in it. Crazy the things you remember hu?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 05:26 PM
That's what I wanted to do but I can't find the orginal listing when it sold. I have pics but they only show bits and pieces of the house and you can't really tell it's the same house. I'm still looking tho, I've had those pics forever and I know I have them somewhere. :(
I bought my house in 2005 and it was built in 1943. Its an old ranch house and I bought it from a friends parents that lived here for almost 40 years. In fact its 1069Dimarco on the boards. He grew up in it but has no pics of it from growing up and his parents have passed on. Also, the closest neighbors have history with it as well. His wife's family built the house. They said they have a few pics of it way back then but I haven't seen anything yet. There was a large swimming pool that was the shape of a horse head that was filled in some 30 years back. I found tons of old cement when I cleared the property. I would LOVe to see pics of it when it was built.
That pool must have been the sh!t at the time! We have a huge 5 foot fireplace with a raised hearth and fake stone tiles out around that to protect the carpet. My Mother In Law says that under the raised hearth and tiles is a mosaic of a horse head. I always wanted to hammer out that hearth.

Her454
10-27-2007, 05:28 PM
That pool must have been the sh!t at the time! We have a huge 5 foot fireplace with a raised hearth and fake stone tiles out around that to protect the carpet. My Mother In Law says that under the raised hearth and tiles is a mosaic of a horse head. I always wanted to hammer out that hearth.
It was the first house ever built on my road. There is so much history in the hills where I live. There is an old Wells Fargo Stage Stop right down the road and still ruins of an old Saloon in Campo Seco. Lots of old mining here in the Motherlode.
I probably would have hammered out that hearth by now........when I was hammered. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
It was the first house ever built on my road. There is so much history in the hills where I live. There is an old Wells Fargo Stage Stop right down the road and still ruins of an old Saloon in Campo Seco. Lots of old mining here in the Motherlode.
I probably would have hammered out that hearth by now........when I was hammered. :D
LOL. If we didn't have the siding ripped off the house right now, I'd probably go for it. I'm on my second Jack & coke. :D

Her454
10-27-2007, 05:38 PM
LOL. If we didn't have the siding ripped off the house right now, I'd probably go for it. I'm on my second Jack & coke. :D
Wellllllllllll, Deb did invite me for a visit on YOUR behalf LOL. I'll bring my hammer. :D

Trailer Park Casanova
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
When I was born my folks lived on Scott St. in north Long Beach, off of L.B. Blvd just north of the L.B. Fwy. I went to Kindergarten at Starr King, then we moved to 46th St, between Atlantic and Orange Ave.
I lived there until I left home after graduating from Jordan in '76.
Damfino why, but no place on earth delivers an excellent, fresh salt air ocean smell like Long Beach Calif.
It's the first thing I notice when we step outta the car. Brings so many good childhood memories to the surface.
Had lots of ancient old kin on 11th and 14th streets. They lived in really cool old wood homes with the duel concrete strip driveways to the rear detached garage.
Now their grandkids all live in condos in the marina.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-27-2007, 05:59 PM
I grew up in Hawthorne in the late 50's, 60's and early '70s.
Back then it was a nice little middle class suburb.
Now whenever I dirve through there, I make sure the truck windows are up and the doors locked.
Let's just say it's not the same nice little town I grew up in. :(
Sad thing is Hawthorne, and Lawndale, coulda gone the other way and been a nice beach like community.
But sadly, both towns literally went South instead of being like Hermosa Beach, El Segundo, or even Torrance.
Ya wonders why, and what really killed these two cities that had so much potential?
As close to perfect weather as one could ever find,,, but the living conditions in these two towns today,, oh brother.
Geeze, what a shame.

Her454
10-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I found them! Tore the house apart last night but I found them! I'm going to take these along when I go back next week with my sister and my daughter. AND I'm going to take new pics if they will let me............:D
Here is when they purchased it, or shortly afterward in Dec 1950
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139Solano1950.jpg
This is the original Real Estate Listing from 1971 when they sold it..I thought it was 1974 but I was incorrect. Thats the year we moved to AZ, not the year they sold it. When the city went through zoning changes, they even changed our address.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139Solano1971.jpg
AND this is a pic from 2006 I believe..... Oldsquirt was in the area and took a pic for me so I could see it back then. I didnt know I was going to be in Concord tand didnt have my camera the other day, but all of the tree's are gone now and it looks really different. Just seemed so much smaller to me. Glad my parents are not around to see it now.:eek:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139Solano22006.JPG

Debbolas
10-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Wellllllllllll, Deb did invite me for a visit on YOUR behalf LOL. I'll bring my hammer. :D
Let's get hammered :D Oh, I mean let's hammer out the siding;)

Her454
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
You bringing the Jello Shots?:D

bonesfab
10-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Just find a little meth and you ladies could have the siding done and hammer out the hearth to find the horse head.. and probably have time to spare..:D :D

Debbolas
10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
I will delegate that honor to Angie:D (I can't eat the dam things, much less make them)
Bet she will make them with Jack ;)

Trailer Park Casanova
10-29-2007, 07:43 AM
So What's the Dealio on Hot August Nites?
Should, or when do we book Boomtown?

Her454
10-29-2007, 10:03 AM
So What's the Dealio on Hot August Nites?
Should, or when do we book Boomtown?
LOL, talk about a HIJACK:D Actually Jeff and I were talking about a trip up to Reno to check things out and also the grand opening of Cabella's up there this month. We'll (he) will have more info then. :D I'm really looking forward to it.

Shreve"T"
10-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Grew up in Ramona CA.Went back 2years ago to find not much has changed but the Population..
Today after the fire went through the town I'm sure it has a lot of changes..:( :( :( :(

AirtimeLavey
10-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Born in Sac Town, then moved to Paraquay (South America), D.C., Dover, DE, East Calais, VT, Tampa, FL, Madrid, Spain, San Antonio and N. Dallas, TX, then various places in So Cal. Yep, Air Force brat. Spent most of my childhood in Dover, DE. Went back to see it after 20 years and the house and neighborhood looked smaller than I remembered. Owner at that time had put up an ugly wooden fence and had a car parked in the front yard....:yuk: :mad: :(
Went back to Vermont and found the 7 level tree house my buds and I had secretly built way back in the woods 20 years before. It was still there, like no one else had ever found it!
It's fun to go back and show the kids different parts of your life. My Grandparents had a farm back on the dirt roads in Greenleaf, KS. Took the kids back to see that. Wish it was still in the family. :(
I would definitely let any previous owner in to see their old place. They'd probably have a heart attack as I've redone it all top to bottom; wood and tile floors, granite, all new kit., and baths. Mstr bth has mutli-head shower over jacuzzi tub, etc. Still have more to do to the ext., but it's nothing like when I bought it. :D

Her454
10-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Went back to Vermont and found the 7 level tree house my buds and I had secretly built way back in the woods 20 years before. It was still there, like no one else had ever found it!
Thats pretty cool!

Debbolas
10-29-2007, 12:25 PM
LOL, talk about a HIJACK:D Actually Jeff and I were talking about a trip up to Reno to check things out and also the grand opening of Cabella's up there this month. We'll (he) will have more info then. :D I'm really looking forward to it.
Isn't Reno halfway here?
;):D

Her454
10-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Isn't Reno halfway here?
;):D
Tell me you are not teaching Geography..................:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Bet she will make them with Jack ;)
:idea:
Traci, we need to tutor her on proper jello-shot procedure. Basically, she just needs some help :rolleyes: She doesn't like to stick her tongue all the way in
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_22.gif

Ziggy
10-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Perriwinkle Drive in Buena Park, Ca.
Driven by it on a few occassions.
Parents moved there in the latter 1950's, we moved from there in 1969.

fourspeednup
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Very cool thread:)
No interesting stories about the house I grew up in, but over the summer i went out to Ohio to visit my mom's side of the family. Picked up my 90 yr old Grandpa at the old folks home and he led us about 10 miles out of town to the farm where he'd grown up. Built in 1847, the original 2 story house is still there and in great shape! Even the chicken coop and smokehouse that he'd helped his dad build when he was 7 was there and mostly intact! I'm not a huge history buff or really one to care too much about antiquities but was truly taken aback while assisting this frail old man with a walker as he gave us a guided tour of the property. Behind every little item was a story from his childhood. Where he broke his leg as a kid and never saw a doctor resulting in it being 2-3" shorter than the other resulting in his lifelong limp, etc.
When Grandpa returned from the war he decided not to continue farming since the property was too small so they sold it off a few years later. It had been through several owners and was bought 2 years ago by a racecar driver who built a shifter cart track with a clubhouse/restaurant and garage turning it into a kind of go-cart country club. He and his wife have remodeled some of the inside and live in the original house!
The new owners were very hospitable towards us, even loaned me their 6 wheeled gator and bought us lunch. A little wierd for me but people are different back East, much more cordial and friendly toward strangers.

Her454
10-29-2007, 05:41 PM
:idea:
Traci, we need to tutor her on proper jello-shot procedure. Basically, she just needs some help :rolleyes: She doesn't like to stick her tongue all the way in
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_22.gif
LOL, if we teach her the correct procedure, you may not have a hearth left afterward. :D
Very cool thread:)
No interesting stories about the house I grew up in, but over the summer i went out to Ohio to visit my mom's side of the family. Picked up my 90 yr old Grandpa at the old folks home and he led us about 10 miles out of town to the farm where he'd grown up. Built in 1847, the original 2 story house is still there and in great shape! Even the chicken coop and smokehouse that he'd helped his dad build when he was 7 was there and mostly intact! I'm not a huge history buff or really one to care too much about antiquities but was truly taken aback while assisting this frail old man with a walker as he gave us a guided tour of the property. Behind every little item was a story from his childhood. Where he broke his leg as a kid and never saw a doctor resulting in it being 2-3" shorter than the other resulting in his lifelong limp, etc.
When Grandpa returned from the war he decided not to continue farming since the property was too small so they sold it off a few years later. It had been through several owners and was bought 2 years ago by a racecar driver who built a shifter cart track with a clubhouse/restaurant and garage turning it into a kind of go-cart country club. He and his wife have remodeled some of the inside and live in the original house!
The new owners were very hospitable towards us, even loaned me their 6 wheeled gator and bought us lunch. A little wierd for me but people are different back East, much more cordial and friendly toward strangers.
Awsome story!

Trailer Park Casanova
10-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Thought you hijacked you own thread with this post:

topless
10-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Is this your old house?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/66342027_solono.jpg

Debbolas
10-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Tell me you are not teaching Geography..................:D
Nope! Just hopefull partying 101 ;)
Traci, we need to tutor her on proper jello-shot procedure. Basically, she just needs some help She doesn't like to stick her tongue all the way in
Ok, that is just WAY too much info!!
Negative Whisky Tango! :D
LOL, if we teach her the correct procedure, you may not have a hearth left afterward.
:jawdrop:

Her454
10-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Thought you hijacked you own thread with this post:
True, true. But Jello Shots are never really considered HiJacking. :D Just messin with ya TPC.
Is this your old house?
Yup.

topless
10-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Yup.I was going to zoom in closer but it got too blurry......and NO I haven't been drinking.:D

Trailer Park Casanova
10-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Did you girls ever have a friend whose parents were always threatning to send them to live at the "Convent School ?."
A neighbor girl, Susan Hackett was always living under that dark shadow threat from her parents.
"That's it, you're going to the live at the Convent Susan! "
Funny to look back at it, but damn,, she was scared.
I threated Maynard with accordion lessons at RD's, but it failed. Maynard thought it'd be cool to be like Buckwheat Zydico.

Her454
10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Did you girls ever have a friend whose parents were always threatning to send them to live at the "Convent School ?."
A neighbor girl, Susan Hackett was always living under that dark shadow threat from her parents.
"That's it, you're going to the live at the Convent Susan! "
Funny to look back at it, but damn,, she was scared.
I threated Maynard with accordion lessons at RD's, but it failed. Maynard thought it'd be cool to be like Buckwheat Zydico.
I had piano lessons 3 days a week for 4 years with Mr Gambrell, and practice for an hour every day after school. I would have welcomed a piano-less convent.

Her454
11-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Well, my sister and I drove down yesterday. I was armed with pictures so I could show them if they were home. A little ghoul with pigtails answered the door and I asked if her parents were home. She said "Sure, C'mon in". Normally I would've stayed outside but I was more than happy to follow her inside, my sister right behind me. Almost took my breath away once I was inside and could barely stammer out my name when Dracula/the dad walked into the room.
I told him we were born in that house and our parents had sold it in 71 and then showed him the pics I had. Obviously they were preparing for a fun Halloween night and the house was a wreck but he gladly took on us a tour. The house was SO much smaller than I had remembered and even my older sister was surprised. He showed us almost the whole house, wouldn't open a few bedroom doors but thats ok. The master bedroom hadn't changed alot but we were shocked to see the fireplace had been covered up. There were two fireplaces in the house and that one was gone. He said he didn't even know there was ever one in that bedroom and we showed him where it used to be. He said he was going to check it out as that would be pretty cool to uncover. Neither my sister or I could find our footprints anywhere in the backyard and I felt bad holding him up from the festivities so we didn't look too long. He had remembered seeing them somewhere but didn't know where. AND he was very appreciative of the pictures I had of the house back in the 50's and for the Real Estate listing and pic I had from 1971 as well. He was shocked at the huge trees that were no longer there, said he wished they were.
All in all it was a good visit as we checked out some other stuff too.
We drove up to the old school on the hill off of Solano Way on Hilltop where we all went to Elementary school. It is no longer Hillcrest and has changed alot over the years. Closed for a few years in the mid 70's and trashed, it was re-opened about 15 years ago as a school for difficult and emotionally disturbed kids. Bars and chainlink fence now surround all the openings to the playground and its been upgraded and remodeled. No so much that we couldn't recognize our kindergarten and first grade classrooms though. All the halls remainded the same and the cafeteria as well. Kinda cool as we hit on a minimum day and all the kids were gone. We stopped at the office as required and got a pass from the principal and told him why we were there. Classrooms doors were open and we had a free pass to roam the whole place. He was really surprised but thought it was cool after all these years and told us that one of his staff, the school nurse also attended as a child. She happened to be there at the time and came out to see us. Was from my sisters year but they don't remember each other. As we walked out of the office to tour the school we heard the principal over the intercom broadcasting to the school "We have a few young ladies touring the school today, they attended the school over 40 years ago, please accomodate them and treat them well". Teachers came out to talk to us and ask us questions after that. Pretty cool visit.

Ziggy
11-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Well, my sister and I drove down yesterday. I was armed with pictures so I could show them if they were home. A little ghoul with pigtails answered the door and I asked if her parents were home. She said "Sure, C'mon in". Normally I would've stayed outside but I was more than happy to follow her inside, my sister right behind me. Almost took my breath away once I was inside and could barely stammer out my name when Dracula/the dad walked into the room.
I told him we were born in that house and our parents had sold it in 71 and then showed him the pics I had. Obviously they were preparing for a fun Halloween night and the house was a wreck but he gladly took on us a tour. The house was SO much smaller than I had remembered and even my older sister was surprised. He showed us almost the whole house, wouldn't open a few bedroom doors but thats ok. The master bedroom hadn't changed alot but we were shocked to see the fireplace had been covered up. There were two fireplaces in the house and that one was gone. He said he didn't even know there was ever one in that bedroom and we showed him where it used to be. He said he was going to check it out as that would be pretty cool to uncover. Neither my sister or I could find our footprints anywhere in the backyard and I felt bad holding him up from the festivities so we didn't look too long. He had remembered seeing them somewhere but didn't know where. AND he was very appreciative of the pictures I had of the house back in the 50's and for the Real Estate listing and pic I had from 1971 as well. He was shocked at the huge trees that were no longer there, said he wished they were.
All in all it was a good visit as we checked out some other stuff too.
We drove up to the old school on the hill off of Solano Way on Hilltop where we all went to Elementary school. It is no longer Hillcrest and has changed alot over the years. Closed for a few years in the mid 70's and trashed, it was re-opened about 15 years ago as a school for difficult and emotionally disturbed kids. Bars and chainlink fence now surround all the openings to the playground and its been upgraded and remodeled. No so much that we couldn't recognize our kindergarten and first grade classrooms though. All the halls remainded the same and the cafeteria as well. Kinda cool as we hit on a minimum day and all the kids were gone. We stopped at the office as required and got a pass from the principal and told him why we were there. Classrooms doors were open and we had a free pass to roam the whole place. He was really surprised but thought it was cool after all these years and told us that one of his staff, the school nurse also attended as a child. She happened to be there at the time and came out to see us. Was from my sisters year but they don't remember each other. As we walked out of the office to tour the school we heard the principal over the intercom broadcasting to the school "We have a few young ladies touring the school today, they attended the school over 40 years ago, please accomodate them and treat them well". Teachers came out to talk to us and ask us questions after that. Pretty cool visit.
See what getting married has done to you T? You're all sentimental now ;)
Cool story.
I have driven by my childhood home a few times but never ever stopped to talk with the people living there....maybe in the future I will.
btw---did I hear you do a flyby last night? I had a few broomstraws land on my driveway.;) :D

Her454
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
See what getting married has done to you T? You're all sentimental now ;)
Cool story.
I have driven by my childhood home a few times but never ever stopped to talk with the people living there....maybe in the future I will.
btw---did I hear you do a flyby last night? I had a few broomstraws land on my driveway.;) :D
LOL, my broom hasn't left the castle in awhile. :D
And BTW, I've always been sentimental.................:D

Oldsquirt
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
So, where are the pictures?

topless
11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
So, where are the pictures?page 4 of this thread.

Oldsquirt
11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
page 4 of this thread.
Those are old. The one I took was from 4 years ago. I want pics from yesterday. :)

Her454
11-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Those are old. The one I took was from 4 years ago. I want pics from yesterday. :)
That was "4" years ago? WOW, I thought it was more recent than that. I'll post up the ones from yesterday in a bit. :D