PDA

View Full Version : C.A.R.B will end Performance boating ???

bigq
10-26-2007, 05:23 PM
So if i read it right in ***boat, they want to limit emissions from 500hp and above the same as a 4 cylinder. That is not possible apparently so no more higher performance engine will be sold after Jan1, 2009. So this would only take place in Californication for now until the EPA does its part to limit across the country. So my question is....if you were a manufacture would you not just move or not sell to California? and what about the Colorado river, while it has water because we are running out of that also, should we only drive on the Arizona side?:mad:

boat boy
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Did not read the article, but anything C.A.R.B. does will never surprise me. It's the same thing just reinvented with what went on in the late 90's with two stroke engines and the PWC issues. Unfortunately what happens in California does not stay in California.

Boatcop
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
The main reason there's a lot of boat builders in AZ, is because of CARB restrictions on volatile emissions from FRP manufacturing.
Boat shops shut down and moved east.
New technology enables boats to be built and remain in compliance in CA, but back when the CARB standards were put in, it didn't exist.
Look for the builders to keep their hull manufacturing where they are, and ship the hulls to AZ or NV for rigging and actual sale.

Jbb
10-26-2007, 05:36 PM
The more I hear and read about California......The more it appears that you are led by a pack of total Jackasses....:D

noboattom
10-26-2007, 05:43 PM
C.A.R.B what a bunch of idiots!I own a commercial truck now they are starting to put emission controls on that.C.A.R.B is saying anything older than 1993 that you will not be able to register in calif. unless you bring your truck up to 2008 specs.Starting in 2009.

ratso
10-26-2007, 06:15 PM
The more I hear and read about California......The more it appears that you are led by a pack of total Jackasses....:D
I say lets cut em loose:jawdrop: and let Mexico have them :D

cougar27mtr
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Post the link to this.. I would like to read up on it thanks...
California is going to save the world from global warming!!! :hammer2:
complete crap!

Jbb
10-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I say lets cut em loose:jawdrop: and let Mexico have them :D
Why on earth would you think.....that Mexico doesn't already....."have them"...:p

scooooter7
10-26-2007, 06:34 PM
AKA Arnold

scooooter7
10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
C.A.R.B what a bunch of idiots!I own a commercial truck now they are starting to put emission controls on that.C.A.R.B is saying anything older than 1993 that you will not be able to register in calif. unless you bring your truck up to 2008 specs.Starting in 2009.
Sorry but I agree with this one. The residue from the freeway would change your mind too.
They are also updating the heavy equipment. My friend quit Cat and went to a Co that is specializing on the cat. converters that ALL Heavy equip will be required to have to operate. Comply or die. (sorry)

TCHB
10-26-2007, 07:19 PM
The EPA will continue to step up its standards on all sources including the marine industry. In the long run I think boats will have high HP engines with much lower emmisions which is a good thing. We are pretty smart about this and have demonstrated it with cars. Faster, cleaner, and much better on fuel. It amazes me at how far we have come in technology in every industry including the new outboards. I drove a new Audi RS4 last week which has a small v8 4 Liter which would take on any old muscle car with half the cubic inches and much much better on fuel.

Baja Big Dog
10-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey, I am a native, and your diss'in my state I am expecting a full appoli......ah crap nevermind, IM gonna move!!!
If it can be screwed up California will do it!!!!:mad:

noboattom
10-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Ya i guess we can help and do are share but now is not a good time to buy a 125000 dollar truck.Just sick and tired of calif and the crap that comes with it.Everything i own is old and I refuse to buy to buy new.All my friends buy new stuff and it falls apart within 5 years.they just do not make things like they used too.

SJP
10-26-2007, 10:22 PM
The EPA will continue to step up its standards on all sources including the marine industry. In the long run I think boats will have high HP engines with much lower emmisions which is a good thing. We are pretty smart about this and have demonstrated it with cars. Faster, cleaner, and much better on fuel. It amazes me at how far we have come in technology in every industry including the new outboards. I drove a new Audi RS4 last week which has a small v8 4 Liter which would take on any old muscle car with half the cubic inches and much much better on fuel.
This may be true but the inflation of all of these recent advancements has led to $50,000 + 3/4 trucks as being the norm, $60,000 luxury sedans (no worries) attitude, and boats/motors are next piled on the hyperinflation of the dot com/realestate swings of the past 13 years. I guess it is all fun and games while people are signing on to 50 year payment schedules as consumers.... Hey it will still be cool for those of us who can afford it. :D

HPBoats83
10-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Great so now boats are going to get even more expensive! I'm just going to buy a new boat in December 08, it's a good excuse.

TCHB
10-27-2007, 07:06 AM
I still do not understand why a boat with a stock truck motor can run close to $100K.

bigq
10-27-2007, 07:09 AM
I agree with you to a level. I have been looking at some 4 cyclinder cars for a daily driver that have the same HP that my 5 liter 1993 stang did, The problem is the emissions will not be the same with 4 more cylinders is what the problem is. Not to mention you will never be able to go to GT, Teague and have a motor built to put in the boat..no way.
Unless we change the fuel:idea: I don't know why we don't push the issue of the fuel we use, but I will take a guess here $$$$$$$$$$$$.
I would love an 800hp custom motor with little to no emissions.:jawdrop:

bigq
10-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Post the link to this.. I would like to read up on it thanks...
California is going to save the world from global warming!!! :hammer2:
complete crap!
I wish i could. It is in the latest ***boat in Bob artilce. He has been following this for years.

bigq
10-27-2007, 07:11 AM
I still do not understand why a boat with a stock truck motor can run close to $100K.
It's "special":D

Dribble
10-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Flat not true. The truck dealers are saying that. Not CARB

Cas
10-27-2007, 07:37 AM
it's really long but you can read the Code of Regulations here-
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/marine/marinectp/reg.doc

noboattom
10-27-2007, 10:13 AM
dribble thats what im thinking too.You go to a dealership they tell you that so you buy a new truck.You talk with ARB and they laugh at it.Trying to find more info on this anybody know?

Cas
10-27-2007, 11:20 AM
you can go to-
http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm
type diesel in the search engine and you'll get a ton of stuff to go through.