PDA

View Full Version : snowskiing advice

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 10:18 AM
We are planning a ski trip for the first time this year. Jeff has been before, but it's been 20 years and I've never been. We had to buy all the warm clothes and stuff (we'll rent the equipment), but I'm kinda at a loss for the long underwear. What is better? Synthetic or silk? I know cotton is out, but I am one of those people who's always cold and my ski pants are Goretex but thin. I got some polyester fleece pants, but I'm thinking maybe something thinner under those. I have no idea. Any suggestions from the skiiers/snowboarders on the board would be helpful.

Havasu1986
10-27-2007, 10:22 AM
I wear the Pepper brand that you can get at Chicks. 100% Polyester. Keeps me warm on the slopes. ;)

Mardonzi
10-27-2007, 10:24 AM
As a former die hard skier,, my suggestion to you is to.....
Don't do it!!! It's cold,, it can be wet... It's expensive.... and last but not least, It hurts when you fall

Havasu1986
10-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Don't do it!!! It's cold,, it can be wet... It's expensive.... and last but not least, It hurts when you fall
True...But you forgot its fun. And far cheaper then boating. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 10:32 AM
I wear the Pepper brand that you can get at Chicks. 100% Polyester. Keeps me warm on the slopes. ;)
Someone else recommended that brand to me as well. :idea:

Wicky
10-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Hot Chillis work great. Synthetic or silk. They both work. I think synthetic doesn't get as stinky. If you're not an aggressive skier, dress a little bit warmer. I sweat like crazy when I ski therefore, I wear less. Just remember to wear thermals with good "wickying:D " cababilities.
Have fun!!

Schiada76
10-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Someone else recommended that brand to me as well. :idea:
Capilene by Patagonia.
I used to wear just the capilene shirt and pants and a powder suit shell, good to 15 below.:D

Wicky
10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Capilene by Patagonia.
I used to wear just the capilene shirt and pants and a powder suit shell, good to 15 below.:D
Only problem, you support the sierra club by purchasing Patagonia.:confused:
Great product though.

YeLLowBoaT
10-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I prefer the slik, but thats just me.
Since you have never been I will give you one piece of advice... on the way up there, no matter how cold you are, don't turn on the heater( other then defrost) and don't pile on the layers. If you do, as soon as you step out you will freeze your ass off.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Only problem, you support the sierra club by purchasing Patagonia.:confused:
Great product though.
All those companies support the Sierra Club. I haven't found one yet that doesn't. Please let me know if you know of one.

Boozer
10-27-2007, 01:11 PM
I use Underarmour it works great and breathes well.
Ditch the skis and ride a board!

Havasu1986
10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I use Underarmour it works great and breathes well.
Ditch the skis and ride a board!
I don't like to be on my butt when I have to stop. :eek: :D

BajaMike
10-27-2007, 01:39 PM
We are planning a ski trip for the first time this year. Jeff has been before, but it's been 20 years and I've never been. We had to buy all the warm clothes and stuff (we'll rent the equipment), but I'm kinda at a loss for the long underwear. What is better? Synthetic or silk? I know cotton is out, but I am one of those people who's always cold and my ski pants are Goretex but thin. I got some polyester fleece pants, but I'm thinking maybe something thinner under those. I have no idea. Any suggestions from the skiiers/snowboarders on the board would be helpful.
Get synthetic that is made for skiing or outdoor sports. It is designed to breath and to wick away the sweat. Silk is OK for wearing around town at night, but not for skiing.
Goretex is great stuff (but expensive)...I have it in all my pants, jackets and gloves. It is totally windproof but is breathable. I think you will be too hot with the fleece pants, but it depends on the temp, the wind and how active you are (I always get hot when I ski).
Where are you going?? I think it's important, when you have different levels of ability, to have "ski in/ski out" accomidations (a little more expensive but worth it). If you have to drive a few miles to ski, it's tough when someone wants to quit for the day and others do not.
I can recommend lots of good places if you don't have reservations yet.
My favorites, in order:
1. Park City/Deer Valley
2. Vail
3. Tahoe (Heavenly Valley).
:idea:
Have fun!

CBadDad
10-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Baja Mike has some great advice, especially about the under wear. Look up Cabelas (online outdoor store). They have great deals and is used mostly by folks from the midwest who know what cold really is.
If you head for Tahoe, unless the snow is really good, skip Heavenly and go to the north west side of the lake. I prefer Alpine Meadows. :)

CARLSON-JET
10-27-2007, 02:06 PM
the best long underwear/shirt I have found is Duofold made of PolyOlefin
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLD_en___US208&q=Duofold
It has great wicking capabilities and excellent thermal properties. I wear them with my wooly's when boarding. I'm usually a little on the warm side even going up the lifts but never too hot. Here, hitting the slopes often means sub zero temps so I know they work. I used them in colorado also and they worked great. To many layers of garments adds restriction and makes one feel like the michelin man. Have fun... :)

Schiada76
10-27-2007, 02:24 PM
All those companies support the Sierra Club. I haven't found one yet that doesn't. Please let me know if you know of one.
Buy some then torch an acre of forest, that'll even things out.:D

BajaMike
10-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Baja Mike has some great advice, especially about the under wear. Look up Cabelas (online outdoor store). They have great deals and is used mostly by folks from the midwest who know what cold really is.
If you head for Tahoe, unless the snow is really good, skip Heavenly and go to the north west side of the lake. I prefer Alpine Meadows. :)
Northstar is nice too......
http://www.accommodationtahoe.com/north.jpg
:D

BajaMike
10-27-2007, 02:28 PM
the best long underwear/shirt I have found is Duofold made of PolyOlefin
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLD_en___US208&q=Duofold
It has great wicking capabilities and excellent thermal properties. Have fun... :)
I agree....Duofold is excellent, really soft and confortable, thin, but keeps you warm!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Get synthetic that is made for skiing or outdoor sports. It is designed to breath and to wick away the sweat. Silk is OK for wearing around town at night, but not for skiing.
Goretex is great stuff (but expensive)...I have it in all my pants, jackets and gloves. It is totally windproof but is breathable. I think you will be too hot with the fleece pants, but it depends on the temp, the wind and how active you are (I always get hot when I ski).
Where are you going?? I think it's important, when you have different levels of ability, to have "ski in/ski out" accomidations (a little more expensive but worth it). If you have to drive a few miles to ski, it's tough when someone wants to quit for the day and others do not.
I can recommend lots of good places if you don't have reservations yet.
My favorites, in order:
1. Park City/Deer Valley
2. Vail
3. Tahoe (Heavenly Valley).
Have fun!
Thanks, I had a feeling that the silk wouldn't be as good for the slopes.
We are headed back to Montana. Big Mountain Resort at Whitefish (http://www.bigmtn.com/) Supposed to be the Vail of Montana.

AZJD
10-27-2007, 05:47 PM
My best suggestion is to switch to snowboarding............:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-27-2007, 05:49 PM
That is for kids. Like Boozer. Adults ski :D

AZJD
10-27-2007, 05:50 PM
That is for kids. Like Boozer. Adults ski :D
:D :D :D Tell me about it! I hurt for 3 days each time I go.

soupersonic
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
My best suggestion is to switch to snowboarding............:D
:rolleyes: Damn knuckle draggers ;)
Everyone should check out Copper Mountain atleast once . We do a ski in ski out condo there once a year. Its pretty choice. Never skied Big Sky country, sounds like a blast.:)

tcook33
10-27-2007, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=soupersonic;2863862]:rolleyes: Damn knuckle draggers ;). Copper MountainQUOTE]
I used to ride for Copper......:D

3queens
10-27-2007, 07:14 PM
the best ski gear is northface by far
long johns and long sleve shirt is all you need in the worst of conditions
pay the extra for the brand you wont be sorry
heli sking bc
utah greatest snow on earth #1 (not much night life need a sponser to
get in bars , aks someone going in always works)
mammoth mountain big mountain lots of beginer areas cool bars!!!
colorado breckinridge awsome mountain 13k feet
great brewery!!!!!
central location to vail and more
have fun watch out for that tree

Havasu1986
10-27-2007, 07:22 PM
I just hope Mammoth gets some snow this year. I bought a seasons pass for the wife and I 2 years ago and the 1st trip my wife tears her ACL. So she loses that season, then hurts it again. 2 seasons gone now for her.:mad: I hate skiing alone.:( But I didn't get hurt. :D

canuck1
10-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Whitefish is good..... if you are driving the options get even better as there are some great spots within a half days drive.
BTW skip the silk and let us know when you are going

BajaMike
10-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks, I had a feeling that the silk wouldn't be as good for the slopes.
We are headed back to Montana. Big Mountain Resort at Whitefish (http://www.bigmtn.com/) Supposed to be the Vail of Montana.
I've heard Big Mountain is great.....have fun!!!

buzzaro
10-28-2007, 06:20 AM
You said your outer gear is thin, but it is just a shell or is it light insulation? Doesnt matter I guess, when youre cold youre cold:D and better to have it and not need it than the reverse.
Ive tried both the Patagonia Capilene and REI MTS (http://www.rei.com/Search.do?storeId=8000&vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC&cm_re=toc*toc*underwear&origin=women&query=Underwear&cat=4501793&hist=cm_re%2Ctoc*toc*underwear%5Eorigin%2Cwomen%5E query%2CUnderwear%5Ecat%2C4500354%5Estart%5Ecat%2C 4501793%3ALightweight) and you cant go wrong with either one, both were comfortable and kept me warm when wet from snow. Ive tried merino wool socks and they work great but I havent tried the merino underwear so I cant say if thats better than polypro or not. I you havent already I would recommend you go out and get some top of the line merino wool or sythenthic socks as well, it will make all the difference on the slopes.
Have a great trip:)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Whitefish is good..... if you are driving the options get even better as there are some great spots within a half days drive.
BTW skip the silk and let us know when you are going
We are going over Christmas. 22nd through the 29th. Staying in town.
You said your outer gear is thin, but it is just a shell or is it light insulation? Doesnt matter I guess, when youre cold youre cold:D and better to have it and not need it than the reverse.
Ive tried both the Patagonia Capilene and REI MTS (http://www.rei.com/Search.do?storeId=8000&vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC&cm_re=toc*toc*underwear&origin=women&query=Underwear&cat=4501793&hist=cm_re%2Ctoc*toc*underwear%5Eorigin%2Cwomen%5E query%2CUnderwear%5Ecat%2C4500354%5Estart%5Ecat%2C 4501793%3ALightweight) and you cant go wrong with either one, both were comfortable and kept me warm when wet from snow. Ive tried merino wool socks and they work great but I havent tried the merino underwear so I cant say if thats better than polypro or not. I you havent already I would recommend you go out and get some top of the line merino wool or sythenthic socks as well, it will make all the difference on the slopes.
It's just a shell, no insulation. We have some merino wool socks. Been wearing them for years. I did pick up some special "skiing" socks. They're pink :D
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've lived in the snow before, but never been skiing. It's something I've always wanted to learn, so I'm pretty excited about it. I knew we'd have to get all the outerwear, but I forgot about things like gloves, socks and underwear. For a family of four, it's starting to add up. The trip will be worth it, though. I'm sure the kids won't ever forget this Christmas :)

Mandelon
10-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Bikini bottoms and thin white tank top.....sheeeeeiiittt! :devil: :D

wolfie
10-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've lived in the snow before, but never been skiing. It's something I've always wanted to learn, so I'm pretty excited about it. I knew we'd have to get all the outerwear, but I forgot about things like gloves, socks and underwear. For a family of four, it's starting to add up. The trip will be worth it, though. I'm sure the kids won't ever forget this Christmas :)
Just a little advice. Take a lesson if you haven't been or haven't been for a while. Anyone that comes here to visit and wants to ski, I always get them lessons first. It takes all the frustration out of it.
As far as the liners, I use thinsulate pants (synthetic) and underarmour shirt. The underarmour allows for a lighter jacket (plus it was given to me).

Sleek-Jet
10-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Plus... all the hot ski bunnies are inside by the fire...

Mandelon
10-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Wear those neoprene knee braces if your knees are weak. And butt pads!!
My wife grew up not far from Tahoe as a total skier chick, she now snowboards too......once you board, you'll never go back to sticks. :idea:

Mardonzi
10-28-2007, 08:57 AM
True...But you forgot its fun. And far cheaper then boating. :D
All day, all area pass $120.00
Bota Bag filled with Brandy $25.00
Flashy Warren Miller looking outfit $400.00
Ambulance ride down the mountain $450.00
Hospital Emergency co pay- $100.00
Meeting Deductible for insurance- $600.00
20% of covered medical costs for
ACL reconstruction - $2500.00
Time lost from work for recovery
6 weeks @ 1200.00 a week - $7200.00
Listening to GF bitch because
you can't do anything by yourself- $??????.??
Much cheaper than boating,, you are correct
(In all reality, it is fun, and I do miss it at times but my knees don't)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Just a little advice. Take a lesson if you haven't been or haven't been for a while. Anyone that comes here to visit and wants to ski, I always get them lessons first. It takes all the frustration out of it.
As far as the liners, I use thinsulate pants (synthetic) and underarmour shirt. The underarmour allows for a lighter jacket (plus it was given to me).
We are all taking lessons. I'm no dummy :D

Wicky
10-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Wear those neoprene knee braces if your knees are weak. And butt pads!!
My wife grew up not far from Tahoe as a total skier chick, she now snowboards too......once you board, you'll never go back to sticks. :idea:
Uhhhhh, not so sure about that one. I have a board and I know how to use it. I like to ski where there is a lot of traversing to get to the chutes. I'll take the skis 99 times to the 1 time taking the board.
Boarding was way easier to learn that's for sure. Growing up skating and surfing helped.

Boozer
10-28-2007, 12:45 PM
:rolleyes: Damn knuckle draggers ;)
Everyone should check out Copper Mountain atleast once . We do a ski in ski out condo there once a year. Its pretty choice. Never skied Big Sky country, sounds like a blast.:)
I agree. I am a season pass holder for Copper Mountain. By far my favorite spot. Although the night riding/skiing at Keystone is pretty cool, not to mention they have a run thats something like 7 miles long top to bottom.

Debbolas
10-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Polar MAX Acclimate dry 100% polyester:D
Keeps you warm, wicks away the sweat;)
Where are you all going?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-28-2007, 04:08 PM
My favorite place to be . . . Montana

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-28-2007, 04:36 PM
We're staying 2 blocks from here. Please note the mountain in the background. :)
http://www.travelwithattitude.com/images/Whitefish_downtown.jpg
http://www.ski-dondiego.org/images/Big%20Mtn.%20Mar.%2098/BigMtn_Whitefish.jpg
In case anyone wants to come visit . . .
http://www.betterbedandbreakfasts.com/state/states/montana3.gif
Annual Christmas Parade
http://www.whitefishchamber.com/images/winter/main/home_main_image1.jpg
Christmas Time. Can't wait. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/whitefish_in_winter.JPG

rocket98
10-28-2007, 07:04 PM
As far as under garments I agree with what most have said. You need to dress in layers. Although for socks you need to wear a pair of thin polyprop do not wear wool socks. they will cause your feet to sweat and will not allow your ski boots to fit correctly. Have a blast and remember that everyone has to start in the same place their are no instant ski gods.

Sportin' Wood
10-28-2007, 07:08 PM
So what kind of underwear would you suggest for sitting in the local taverns all week, while the family is out pretending to ski? Boxers or briefs?
I'm thinking Snow Mobile, and dog sleding. there's no ice chest rack on a snow board or ski's! I'll be the guy stagering from Bar to bar all week. White fish rules!:D

rocket98
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
After a couple of cocktails are you really going to care..:D

Sportin' Wood
10-28-2007, 07:28 PM
After a couple of cocktails are you really going to care..:D
NO!:D

YeLLowBoaT
10-28-2007, 07:31 PM
So what kind of underwear would you suggest for sitting in the local taverns all week, while the family is out pretending to ski? Boxers or briefs?
I'm thinking Snow Mobile, and dog sleding. there's no ice chest rack on a snow board or ski's! I'll be the guy stagering from Bar to bar all week. White fish rules!:D
Cstring.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Cstring.
LOL Now THAT I'd like to see :D

WishIknew
10-28-2007, 10:13 PM
We are all taking lessons. I'm no dummy :D
Bring lots a Vicadin and Simmer down NOW:D :D

BajaMike
10-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Ive tried merino wool socks and they work great but I havent tried the merino underwear so I cant say if thats better than polypro or not. I you havent already I would recommend you go out and get some top of the line merino wool or sythenthic socks as well, it will make all the difference on the slopes.
Forget about anything with wool........it's hot and doesn't breath and doesnt' wick off the moisture.....hot and wet soon becomes cold and not good.
Modern technology has made huge advances....I wouldn't wear any wool or cotton at any time while skiing/snowboarding in the mountains....

RiverOtter
10-29-2007, 02:49 AM
Very Important: "There is no such thing as inappropriate weather just inappropriate clothing" Stick with the good brands like:
Patagonia
Mountain Hardware
Northface
Smartwool
Under Armour
Chilies
Do lots of squats and lunges and have a blast

Debbolas
10-29-2007, 06:59 AM
Most places you can take the lift up to the "warming shack" that serves beverages ;)
Bring a zipon-off cast for your leg, you could sit around the fire, drinking hot toddys:D
I miss sking:(
BTW Very pretty mountain

TUNNEL T
10-29-2007, 07:10 AM
hot chillies , boards are for sissies ! double black diamonds and you won't find VERY many boarders if any that's where you want to be ! TUNNEL T