PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV+HD+DiPlexer+BBC= Trouble

Not So Fast
10-27-2007, 12:55 PM
After a lot of explanations and other crap I now have the new HD channels from DirecTV. If you are having trouble getting the new HD channels when you should be getting them and are running a Diplexer in your setup I have an explanation and fix if you are interested and you can do it yourself. it takes some "splaining " but I'll do it if it will help anyone:idea: NSF

Not So Fast
10-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Nope, not that. This only applies if you already have your set up and have been recieving the old HD channels and are not getting the newly launched ones. I was getting a code 771-seaching for signal when I went to any of the new channels. The fix was so easy. NSF

Buster
10-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Help me, Help me NSF...
I have the same issue.. I thought my dish was out of alignment. What is the secret, easy, fix....
Thanks in advance..

Panic Button
10-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Order B-Band converters via this link:
http://directv.qrs1.net/bbc/bbcForm.jsp

Not So Fast
10-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Help me, Help me NSF...
I have the same issue.. I thought my dish was out of alignment. What is the secret, easy, fix....
Thanks in advance..
OK Buster hang on. I went thru all the hoops that DirecTV techs said, realigned the dish (7hr wait also), then it was because we had a grey B band converter so they sent a black one, didnt work, another service call and they said the diplex had to go, couldnt carry the band width. Let me back up a bit, we had a dead line to the room we use for the computer so used a diplexer to split the signal between NPG cable for the compter and the satellite feed to the main Tv in the living room on the same cable, worked fine until the new HD channels came around.
So I called Alpine Comm. to come out and run a new line for the computer and not have any type of device in the lines (splitter). Well, Dave the tech from Alpine said lets try a few things before we try to run this new line, lots of work. He did take the diplexer out of the line and it worked fine, got all the channels so we know the dish and all is fine. His next fix was to reinstall the dipexers but instead of putting the BBC (B band converter) right before the DirecTV box he moved it in front of the diplexer's and "viola" now getting all the channels. Does this make sense:idea: I hope so!! You may very well have to have the dish realigned but if that doesnt work then try what worked for me. Just put the BBC in front of the first diplexer, they just screw together so its pretty easy!! Good luck!!! NSF

Not So Fast
10-27-2007, 05:38 PM
OK Buster hang on. I went thru all the hoops that DirecTV techs said, realigned the dish (7hr wait also), then it was because we had a grey B band converter so they sent a black one, didnt work, another service call and they said the diplex had to go, couldnt carry the band width. Let me back up a bit, we had a dead line to the room we use for the computer so used a diplexer to split the signal between NPG cable for the compter and the satellite feed to the main Tv in the living room on the same cable, worked fine until the new HD channels came around.
So I called Alpine Comm. to come out and run a new line for the computer and not have any type of device in the lines (splitter). Well, Dave the tech from Alpine said lets try a few things before we try to run this new line, lots of work. He did take the diplexer out of the line and it worked fine, got all the channels so we know the dish and all is fine. His next fix was to reinstall the dipexers but instead of putting the BBC (B band converter) right before the DirecTV box he moved it in front of the diplexer's and "viola" now getting all the channels. Does this make sense:idea: I hope so!! You may very well have to have the dish realigned but if that doesnt work then try what worked for me. Just put the BBC in front of the first diplexer, they just screw together so its pretty easy!! Good luck!!! NSF {PS obviously put the BBC on the cable feed from the satellite.

3 daytona`s
10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I'll do a quick outline for you:
1. Call DirecTV
2. Tell them you want HD
3. Sit back and wait for them to install new 5 LNB dish and new receivers
4. Enjoy
:D
:idea: :confused:

3 daytona`s
10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
I'll do a quick outline for you:
1. Call DirecTV
2. Tell them you want HD
3. Sit back and wait for them to install new 5 LNB dish and new receivers
4. Enjoy
:D
:idea: :confused:

3 daytona`s
10-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I'd be the one whose HD works perfectly. But, I've had four HDTVs in my house for probably six years, so I've got a jump on you. ;)
YOU ARE THE MAN;)

Buster
10-27-2007, 06:45 PM
So I called Alpine Comm. to come out and run a new line for the computer and not have any type of device in the lines (splitter). Well, Dave the tech from Alpine said lets try a few things before we try to run this new line, lots of work. He did take the diplexer out of the line and it worked fine, got all the channels so we know the dish and all is fine. His next fix was to reinstall the dipexers but instead of putting the BBC (B band converter) right before the DirecTV box he moved it in front of the diplexer's and "viola" now getting all the channels. Does this make sense:idea: I hope so!! You may very well have to have the dish realigned but if that doesnt work then try what worked for me. Just put the BBC in front of the first diplexer, they just screw together so its pretty easy!! Good luck!!! NSF
Thanks NSF. I already bypassed the Diplexer and it did not help. I will try and move the B-Band filters in the morning to see if that makes a difference. I have a guy coming out next week to reallign my dish as well.
Thanks again for the info.
Cheers,

Buster
10-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Did your dish work before the heavy winds this week? I had to have my dish realigned yesterday. I lost ALL my channels on Monday, but was able to half ass align the dish myself so that most everything came in. The wind blew so hard Sunday/Monday that the installed said my dish moved 5 degrees on the azimuth and 3 degrees on the tilt.
Also, I'd investigate those B band filters too. When they did my original install, 2 of the 5 they installed were bad. Bad enough where my boxes wouldn't boot until they were changed.
They have never worked. Only the original HD channels work, none of the new ones. I am pretty sure it is allignment since I am not getting any signal on the two new sats. I have always installed all my own equipment but with the new 5 LNB dish and the addition of angle settings I just did not want to mess with it. I may try in the morning but if screw it up and miss the Nascar race I will be so screwed....
Thanks for the info...

Not So Fast
10-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks NSF. I already bypassed the Diplexer and it did not help. I will try and move the B-Band filters in the morning to see if that makes a difference. I have a guy coming out next week to reallign my dish as well.
Thanks again for the info.
Cheers,
Buster; if you call DirecTV tech line they will walk you thru the steps to determine if you are recieving the new signal and if your dish is aligned. They told me alignment is critical for the new satellite. Ph # 888-713-7772 if you didnt have it already. let me know if moving the B Band Converter works for you, my picture is BEAUTIFUL and getting all the new channels.:D :D :D
Cassanova; I left NPG cable after 5 years of crappy quality picture so the picture we now have from DirecTV is about 1000% better and they've been pretty good to work with IMO! HD with a new DLP Samsung 61"er, could it be any better???:D NSF

Buster
10-28-2007, 05:57 PM
WHOA !!!! I fixed it.. It was out of alignment. 2 Degree's on the elevation and 1 Degree on the angle.. :D :D :D
I have all the HD channels now...

SandbarScot
10-28-2007, 07:14 PM
The only reason I have Directv is for the NFL Sunday ticket. They got a monopoly on that. I think they are charging us way too much money and now want more for the HD channels. Its gonna cost me close to $200 a month just to watch TV!:mad:

cnj
10-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Nope, not that. This only applies if you already have your set up and have been recieving the old HD channels and are not getting the newly launched ones. I was getting a code 771-seaching for signal when I went to any of the new channels. The fix was so easy. NSF
Just had this exact problem. They had to come out and "peak" the dish. The original installer failed to get it aimed just right.

Not So Fast
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
What are they charging you more for?
My son got the notice Saturday. They want $4.95@mo for a few of the new HD channels, I'll pass for now. I assume every subscriber will get the notice with in a few days:( NSF

JetBoatRich
10-28-2007, 08:11 PM
did you get it working?
If not let me know if I can help by phone at least.

Jyruiz
10-29-2007, 07:18 AM
My son got the notice Saturday. They want $4.95@mo for a few of the new HD channels, I'll pass for now. I assume every subscriber will get the notice with in a few days:( NSF
They want $4.99 per month for what they are calling 'HD Extra Pack' and the channels are
HDNET
HDNet Movies
Universal HD
Smithsonian HD
MHD
MGMHD
It's currently free as part of the new HD rollout, but after 12/15/07 the cost is an additional $4.99 per month. The reason given is these channels do not have an SD counterpart.

Not So Fast
10-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Well, that sucks. They didn't mention that when I signed up. That's BS.
They also say to ENJOY the channels for free until Dec 15. What did you expect, they would add all these HD channels and not try to charge a little more:idea: NSF

Not So Fast
10-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Well, that sucks. They didn't mention that when I signed up. That's BS.
They also say to ENJOY the channels for free until Dec 15. What did you expect, they would add all these HD channels and not try to charge a little more:idea: NSF

Not So Fast
10-29-2007, 07:37 AM
They want $4.99 per month for what they are calling 'HD Extra Pack' and the channels are
HDNET
HDNet Movies
Universal HD
Smithsonian HD
MHD
MGMHD
It's currently free as part of the new HD rollout, but after 12/15/07 the cost is an additional $4.99 per month. The reason given is these channels do not have an SD counterpart.
Damnit Juan youre too fast:D NSF

Jyruiz
10-29-2007, 07:39 AM
It's not that bad, when DTV first charged for there HD package, it was $10.00 a month and it only included,
HDNET
HDNET Movies
ESPN HD
Universal HD
Discovery HD Theater
they then added ESPN-2 HD later on, but now you get the ESPN channels and Discovery HD Theater with out having to sign up to that extra pack. If I don't sign up for there Extra pack, I think I will really only miss the Smithsonian channel, and maybe MGM HD, but probably not.

Jyruiz
10-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Damnit Juan youre too fast:D NSF
Sorry Bobby, just trying to inform the people.:D