PDA

View Full Version : Cold Beer Anyone???

abraman1326
03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Ok, we've all done it. Bought a ton of beer, and after putting the Grey Goose, the lady's schmiernof ice, sandwhiches, and anything else you need to keep cold in the cooler, you can't get all that beer in there as well. So you know you have to leave some out to be puttin in later. Well, I know I'm a dork, but I learnded something very helpful on Mythbusters tonight. You need to get that now warm beer cold, and fast!!! Thier "expert", (an old bartender w/ worse teeth that your average red neck) Well, in their expierment, by expelling a fire extinguisher at a 6 pack, they got the beer from room temprature to a cool 35 degrees in 3 minutes. Of course, it's going to cost 30 bucks to get that extinguisher filled again, but when you need a clod beer now, you need a cold one now! Also, something I didn't know was by using a mixture of Ice, Water, and Salt, it actually get's colder in the cooler than w/ Ice alone. Something about the salt keeps the ice from melting, and allows the water to get colder w/o freezing, or something like that, so in using that mixture, your beer will be to a cool 37 degrees in 5 min. Not that's some informative crap right there. I will definetly keep a can of salt on the boat for emergencies like these from now on. Thought I might share, as I know the season is all most upon us again, and it's bound to happen. Enjoy all, hope it works for you as well...
BRA

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Thats some good info. Now here's another question...the salt you keep on your boat. Do you get rock salt or just the regular stuff? I'm thinking the rock salt like you use when making homemade ice cream would work the best...

buzzaro
03-01-2006, 11:03 PM
This will work with most any compressed gas, especially if you turn the can upside down and spray it. The advantage of a fire extinguisher is the size of the bottle :). You are correct about the ice water as well, with salt you can get it down to 30F or so, you can also cook stuff faster in salt water as the boiling temp is higher than 212F

desertbird
03-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Thats some good info. Now here's another question...the salt you keep on your boat. Do you get rock salt or just the regular stuff? I'm thinking the rock salt like you use when making homemade ice cream would work the best...
I keep Margarita Salt on my boat,,,, :) :crossx: :)

Hardly Satisfied
03-02-2006, 12:05 AM
having a cold silver bullet right now , just got home from the redwings ducks hockey game

Hardly Satisfied
03-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Also thanks fir the info on the salt and ice :rollside:

ovrkll77
03-02-2006, 12:46 AM
wow, there is salt in ice cream?

Just Tool'n
03-02-2006, 04:16 AM
My brother use to bring his own small ice chest on the boat with his own brand of beer ( too expensive import stuff ).
He woulld pack it in ice & rock salt.
I told him after about the 3rd time, no more rock salt. I did not want the corrosion factor around the boat anymore.
Everywhere he set down that bottle of beer, it would leave the regular ring + the salt that was in the water, plus if it ever got tipped over I did not want salt water in my boat.
I wont even get on the subject of glass bottles.

LUVNLIFE
03-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Thanks Bra, good, usefull info is always welcome. :cool: :rollside:

wsuwrhr
03-02-2006, 07:15 AM
The myth busters just had a show last night on the fastest ways to cool down beer.
I love that show.
True story.
Brian

KACHINA KEN
03-02-2006, 07:21 AM
My brother use to bring his own small ice chest on the boat with his own brand of beer ( too expensive import stuff ).
Does that drive you nuts, I hate it when guests bring coolers. I had 3 in a day before. Finally made a checklist to keep surprises to a minimum.

ColeTR2
03-02-2006, 07:30 AM
wow, there is salt in ice cream?
you put the salt in the machine that makes the ice cream.

Tn_River_Ratt
03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
The salt lowers the freezing/boiling point. Rock salt works the best. Just my $.02.
Tn River Ratt

prosthogod
03-02-2006, 08:23 AM
My brother did the rock salt thing on a trip to Powell because he thought it kept the ice around longer. it did. But we never drank all the water gatorade and cran juice in that cooler because it tasted like salt.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
If you take your beverage and put on a bag of ice and roll, in about 1 minute you will have cold beverage. The container is designed to transmit heat or coldness how ever you want to look at it. this works well with cans or bottles.
TIME FLYS WHEN YOUR HAVING RUM BIG JOE :crossx: :p

abraman1326
03-02-2006, 02:15 PM
I was just trying to help. I had seen it, and I'm glad it's appreciated. I'm not commenting on how well it would work w/ getting salt in the boat, but if you explain what you are doing, I'm sure everyone would be extra careful in not getting any salt anywhere. Maybe keep a couple bottles of bottled water in the boat as well to rinse off the outsides before you open the beer.
BRA

Biglue
03-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Very useful info there BRA. When all else fails. Drink warm beer. Cant let it go to waste. :D

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
03-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Ok, we've all done it. Bought a ton of beer, and after putting the Grey Goose, the lady's schmiernof ice, sandwhiches, and anything else you need to keep cold in the cooler, you can't get all that beer in there as well. So you know you have to leave some out to be puttin in later. Well, I know I'm a dork, but I learnded something very helpful on Mythbusters tonight. You need to get that now warm beer cold, and fast!!! Thier "expert", (an old bartender w/ worse teeth that your average red neck) Well, in their expierment, by expelling a fire extinguisher at a 6 pack, they got the beer from room temprature to a cool 35 degrees in 3 minutes. Of course, it's going to cost 30 bucks to get that extinguisher filled again, but when you need a clod beer now, you need a cold one now! Also, something I didn't know was by using a mixture of Ice, Water, and Salt, it actually get's colder in the cooler than w/ Ice alone. Something about the salt keeps the ice from melting, and allows the water to get colder w/o freezing, or something like that, so in using that mixture, your beer will be to a cool 37 degrees in 5 min. Not that's some informative crap right there. I will definetly keep a can of salt on the boat for emergencies like these from now on. Thought I might share, as I know the season is all most upon us again, and it's bound to happen. Enjoy all, hope it works for you as well...
BRA
Now you see, that right there is why i lurk these boards. that is exceptional advice to a guy like me. I didn't know that, wouldn't have known that, and now that I do know that, i will be all over it.
Thanks again to you and to ***boat for providing such valuable information. Life as I know it will never be the same!

Rod-64
03-02-2006, 03:53 PM
So let's see...........after you get jacked for the OUI...from the nice cold beer..... the cops will ticket you for having an empty extinguisher. :frown: :D :D

abraman1326
03-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I know I have 2 extinguishers in my boat.
You're welcome to all this might help. I had no idea about any of it, and thought it was something good to pass along. I know i'll be using this info, probably quite often this season. Good luck out there...
BRA

DRMCAT
03-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Cheers for beers big ears...........
http://www.beermonthclub.com/newimages/beerpic3.jpg

Some Kind Of Monster
03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Hmmm isn' salt used for melting and de icing roads and pathways? I know I live in Arizona, but I get away sometimes ;-) I would venture to bet that it may get your beer colder faster, but the ice will not last as long! This may not be the best idea if the ice needs to last all day!

MBlaster
03-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Learning about chilling beer and applying pasties are two of the many reasons why I joined hb.c
:)

abraman1326
03-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Hell yeah MB, those are my reasons as well...
BRA