PDA

View Full Version : Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge

Uniqueperformancewest
10-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Ok of all the new trucks that are out, what is everyones feedback. I've heard from people that the 6.4L Ford engine is getting horrible gas mileage. And the Chevy's are having tranny issues, and the Dodge has a horrible turning radius. But comparing them all the 6.4L the 6.6 with the 6 speed, and the new 6.7L and the 6 speed. How are all these trucks doing, whats everyones opinions based on personal experience. What kind of gas mileage are you getting, what kind of problems are you having, any other input would be great too.
Thanks John

Chico&Zeus
10-28-2007, 09:08 AM
I have a 2006 Dodge quadcab 4x4 short bed, not the megacab....my turning radius is fine, u-turns are easy, not as great as my wife's yukon but better than a lot of other trucks I've driven. I've got the diesel, so fuel mileage is ok, power is great, breaking is decent...only complaint is the transmissions, if you add any power or torque to them, they are the weakest link...only other complaint I can think of is that the window pillers on both sides of the windshield are huge creating a blind spot....other than that....she's a good truck. Plus, my wife used to work for Chrysler, when they laid her off, part of her severence package was "Employee Pricing for Life".....so my $48,000 truck was like $36,000:D

ultra26shadow
10-28-2007, 09:38 AM
I have the 07 Chevy w/the duramax/allison crew cab, and it's wonderful. I havent had any problems as of yet, well it only has 2500 miles on it but I like it better than my 04 2500 hd gas, plus this truck has a better turning radius than the old HD's I can make complete U-turns on the new truck that my old one I would have to do a 2 pont u-turn, and towing not a problem lots of power, and the gas mileage ranges from 12-14 MPG, The only thing I wish there were more modifications for this new motor (LMM) like exhausts and programmers.

Uniqueperformancewest
10-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys for the input, my father has one of the dodge mega cabs and his turning radius is horrible. Since yours isn't a mega that probably helps out alot, I like the dodge power etc. but as you said the 4 speed tranny is the weak link. I wonder how the 6.7 is with the 6 speed behind it, my greatest concern is how it will hold up with power upgrades. I will end up lifting, exhausting, and programming whatever I buy and I want it to be able to handle it.
Thanks for your responses,
John

Trailer Park Casanova
10-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Everyone we run with has towing vehicles.
The Dodge owners we know went to the stick shift to get around the questionable Chrysler Auto Tranny.
Their clutches, and HD aftermarket clutches don't last long.
Shifting towing 20.000lb has to suck IMHO.
The new Ford truck rides rough, and still questions about the emissions problems & issues.
Wall street doesn't expect Ford to make it through the decade.
But, several neighbors have the new F450, and they love them, and they are nice trucks for sure. Their biggest complaint is poor mileage.
If turning radius is a BFD, then take a close look at the Fords.
The other big complaint with Ford has been Tranny and rear ends failures.
Can't beat the D Maxs and Allisons in the GM and Chevys.
Most Allisons are trouble free, only a rare few have had a solinoid or a seal replaced,, but other than that they are excellent.
Indy tranny shops have no clue about working on them, and will try and sell the owner a new tranny rather than perform a simple fix.
The GMs have the best ride and best diesel fuel economy IOHO's.

Warlockjer
10-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Got a 08 F250 Diesel and it does get extremly bad fuel mileage, but the power is unreal. I had a 7.3 before with a chip exhaust and K&N filter and this has much more power stock. The ride is incedible and I for one like the new interior. It is pretty much loaded and also has the nav system....

The Doctor
10-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Two Crew Cab Duallys here. Both Duramax/Allison GM units. Absolutely the cream of the crop. Traded a new Ford on the first and liked is to much I sold it to my son and bought a newer one for myself. Hands down the best truck I have ever owned!!!
Oh, by the way, my son is now selling his!
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/452774387.html

78Southwind
10-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Two Crew Cab Duallys here. Both Duramax/Allison GM units. Absolutely the cream of the crop. Traded a new Ford on the first and liked is to much I sold it to my son and bought a newer one for myself. Hands down the best truck I have ever owned!!!
Oh, by the way, my son is now selling his!
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/452774387.html
That seems like a pretty good price for a Diesel with under 100,000 miles.

AZJD
10-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Chevy LMM 2500HD 6" w/35's:
14.5MPG but I drive it hard, real hard.
Turning is fine.......it's a 3/4 ton, it's not a sports car.
Tranny is fine. 14k miles
Runs like a raped ape.
Quiet.
Regen cycle kind of annoying.
Paint quality could have been better on Chevy
Ride comfort improves after lifting.
Interior is solid and comfy
I have ridden in the new ford with 6" and it rode nice but stiffer than mine.
Engine in the Ford with a Superchip was same speed as mine stock.
Drive them all and figure out which one you like. All these "so called" problems everyone is having, are simply crap being talked by people that like the opposite brands. Each truck has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Haven't seen proof of anything on any brand that would be considered a problem. They are all junk!:D

BadKachina
10-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I like lifted trucks, therefore I won't own a truck with ifs. I still have a 99 Chevy with 60k miles on it. It's been through ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, and it never seems to wear the tires evenly. My son drives it, and I'm sure as a teenager he's tough on it but every lifted Chevy I've had has had to have front end parts replaced at one time or another. My 2000 Excursion with a 10" lift never had any front-end parts replaced in 7 years. So my new f-250 has 9" lift, it's night and day faster than my 7.3, it's quiet, but the mileage is only around 12. That's not horrible, I didn't buy it for gas mileage, and it's only got 7k miles on it so it's not broken in yet.
All the Duramax owners I know love their trucks too. I think you'll be fine with what ever brand you choose. For me, I'm used to the Ford seat so other manufactuers seats seem uncomfortable to me. I also have the power pedals, so buy the time I get the wheel, pedals and seat dialed in, I just feel out of place driving anything else. :rolleyes: :)

AZJD
10-28-2007, 07:45 PM
I like lifted trucks, therefore I won't own a truck with ifs. I still have a 99 Chevy with 60k miles on it. It's been through ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm, and it never seems to wear the tires evenly. My son drives it, and I'm sure as a teenager he's tough on it but every lifted Chevy I've had has had to have front end parts replaced at one time or another. My 2000 Excursion with a 10" lift never had any front-end parts replaced in 7 years. So my new f-250 has 9" lift, it's night and day faster than my 7.3, it's quiet, but the mileage is only around 12. That's not horrible, I didn't buy it for gas mileage, and it's only got 7k miles on it so it's not broken in yet.
All the Duramax owners I know love their trucks too. I think you'll be fine with what ever brand you choose. For me, I'm used to the Ford seat so other manufactuers seats seem uncomfortable to me. I also have the power pedals, so buy the time I get the wheel, pedals and seat dialed in, I just feel out of place driving anything else. :rolleyes: :)
Well, you managed to turn a Kachina into a real nice boat. I suppose you can do the same with a Ford.:eek: ;) :D :D
Love the new rims by the way. And where are the pics from last night?

BadKachina
10-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Well, you managed to turn a Caching into a real nice boat. I suppose you can do the same with a Ford.:eek: ;) :D :D
Love the new rims by the way. And where are the pics from last night?
I know there are some pics somewhere, I passed out and spent the night on the porcelin........:rolleyes:
The newly weds were there, I think we had a good time, but at this point I don't remember much.:D

Not So Fast
10-28-2007, 07:50 PM
You left out a major player didnt you??? The "New Tundra" NSF

AZJD
10-28-2007, 07:53 PM
He has to tow. He got them all.....:eek: :D :D :D

boatnam2
10-28-2007, 07:53 PM
i think there talking about real trucks not the kind driving around high schools:D

riverbound
10-28-2007, 08:13 PM
My dodge has been bulletproof (except for some issues with the lift, not dodge related). After driving them all. I was the hapiest with the Dodge for my uses. it rides rougher than the fords and chevys, has a louder motor. but in all relaity, when was the last time you saw one on the side of the road? And the dodge tranny issue is easily fixed by a better tourque converter (about $800).

Back Forty
10-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm surprised that dodge still gets a bad rep with tranny problems. We've got them overloaded dragging 20k-25k loads every day and just don't seem to have the problems. Hmmm..:D

Kilrtoy
10-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Stop by Savage marine any day of the week and you can see an 08 ford dodge and chevy parked side by side and compare ...
Truck is to new to have any feedback

pw_Tony
10-28-2007, 10:02 PM
This thread is too difficult. It's just a "I like what I got, but I don't like the others out there."
I would say just test drive them all and pick your fav

Warlockjer
10-29-2007, 06:15 AM
i think there talking about real trucks not the kind driving around high schools:D
:D :D

Not So Fast
10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Oh hell, I forgot this was Hot Boat and you all swear that your "semi-made in America" trucks are the best because your patriots, right?:D NSF

ULTRA26 # 1
10-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Oh hell, I forgot this was Hot Boat and you all swear that your "semi-made in America" trucks are the best because your patriots, right?:D NSF
Bobby,
I get the impression that gas trucks don't count. :confused:

WaterJunky
10-29-2007, 08:03 AM
I am operating under the assumption that we were talking about tow vehicles. If I am wrong please correct me. In this area, Toyota does not make a 3/4 ton truck. If you believe all the BS ads on tv, there is nothing better for towing than the toy. After all its on tv and must be true, right?
In my opinion:
If "Bling" is your priority, buy the Chevy.
If Work / Durability is your priority, buy the Ford.
If fuel mileage is your priority, buy the Dodge/cummins.
As I do not replace vehicles often, I shop for durability and longevity in a truck.
All said and done the three are fairly close overall. Each has strong points and weak points.

Brewzed
10-29-2007, 08:10 AM
I have had two Chevy's in the last couple of years. A 2006 2500 LLY w/ 6 sp Ally and an 2007 3500 LBZ w/ 6 sp Ally. Both lifted at 100 miles, 1 with 38's, 1 with 37's. Programmers on both, no issues at all with either.
I can't comment on Dodge or the Ford, I haven't owned either one. The only thing I can compare of the 3 is the sound. The Duramax is a lot more quite then the other two. More like a gas truck.
When you buy a vehicle, you never know what you might get. If you decide on one brand and you pick the red one over the blue one. The red one might be trouble and the blue one would have been perfect. Luck of the draw.

blown65
10-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Loving my 08 F450 so far. Only complaint would be the fuel mileage but I didn't get it for fuel economy so I don't give a rip.

Chico&Zeus
10-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Dodge trannies aren't that bad until you add a performance chip.....I am going to upgrade to the Bully Dog programmer, that's an additional 140 horse and 209 ft/lbs.....that's when they start to grenade:D

riverfun
10-29-2007, 09:34 AM
I own a 05 ford 6.0 and have been pretty happy, however if I were looking for a new truck I would consider them all. I would really look at financing terms (are any offering 0%) and warranty. I keep my trucks a long time, last one was kept 9 years and this one will be as well.

Not So Fast
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Bobby,
I get the impression that gas trucks don't count. :confused:
The lead in thread asked for "GAS MILEAGE" so I assumed it included a gas motor truck, silly me huh:rolleyes: And from what I have read the new Tundra (yes 1/2 ton) out tows the other comparable trucks, key word comparable so dont throw in your smokey diesel facts, just apple for apples. :idea: NSF

Uniqueperformancewest
10-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys for all the info, I have had 3 superduties, two with 6.0's and one with a V10 and I have had two dodges both with 5.9's and the 4 speed. And I have had one F650 with the Caterpillar, which we just sold. I haven't liked any of our 6.0's they all had problems, started out great but didn't finish so well. The Dodge 5.9's have been great, they slip a bit with the 4 speed but pull everything we put behind them but our mega cab has a horrible turning radius. And then the caterpillar was just a totally different beast all together.
As soon as everything goes through on my truck I will probably just kind of shop around and drive all three and see which feels best and make my decision from there. I appreciate all the help guys.
Thanks John

ULTRA26 # 1
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
The lead in thread asked for "GAS MILEAGE" so I assumed it included a gas motor truck, silly me huh:rolleyes: And from what I have read the new Tundra (yes 1/2 ton) out tows the other comparable trucks, key word comparable so dont throw in your smokey diesel facts, just apple for apples. :idea: NSF
Bobby, I also get the impression that to be considered a truck, it also has to be lifted of at least 35's. My little F150 Lightning is actually a station wagon with the roof cut off. :D :D

rlj676
10-29-2007, 12:24 PM
The toy does not tow more than F-150. Further, if you are at the 10,000 lb towing realm regularly you probably want more than a 1/2 ton.
Also, I believe some of the gas milage issues with 08 superduties is driven by next gen "cleanliness." I think it meets different ultra low sulfar deisel usage, different exhaust output than 07 deisels.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/08/22/019497.html

20" gun's
10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I was a regional for Tetra Tech. TTEK. They spent years entering info on all of the vehicles in the fleet. Come to find out Ford had the lowest numbers when it came to repairs and down time. Needless to say they got rid of every other truck in the fleet and went with Ford. Up until that point i liked Dodge. Dodge was the most expensive vehicle on the list maintain. Chevy was not to bad.

hava life
10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I bought an 07 Dodge mega cab with the 6.7 a couple of months ago and I am real happy with it. Last week I picked up about 1600#'s of tile at Pheonix and took it to Havasu. I always check my mpg at the pump and I got 16.4mpg, my truck readout said 17.5mpg. I can not complain about anything yet I only have 8100 miles on it. The Dodge doesn't have all the comforts and gadgets that Ford and Chevy have but I am hoping to get a couple hundred thousand miles out of this one.

catman-do
10-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Our Mega cab hasnt been bad. I like the roomyness, and how much are you really making tight u-turns anyways? Doesnt have all the bling of the Ford, but that doesnt bother me, atleast it gets our 40' trailer everywhere.