PDA

View Full Version : Direct HD TV: Anygood?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-29-2007, 06:20 AM
We have Time Warner cable and the sound is outta Sync with the picture, and it costs $150 a month only has a few HDTV stations, and for that price we get no premium stations.
Direct offers much more. Wife wants me to call and get them out here to install it.
Is the Direct High Def OK? Work OK? Any bugs? Any tips or tales?
Thanks.

gramps
10-29-2007, 06:28 AM
If you can try to compare Dish and Direct side by side. You might find a big difference in picture quality. Also check on what HD is available where you live. Not all networks are available in HD everywhere thru Dish or Direct. If you can receive a HD picture via an antenna you might be surprised at the quailty of that picture.

Not So Fast
10-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Dont let my recent follies with DirecTV sway you away from them. I had a glitch and thats about it and can be expected with any service provider. The prices you are paying is absurd. My package costs me about $60 @mo and includes the protection package. The internet I still get from NPG at around $40. I am so much more pleased with Direct than NPG Cable that I cant convey the joy. The HD picture quality varies somewhat but as I understand it is because thats what the program provider controls. Over all I'm very satisfied with the HD picture and the service, would recommend them for sure!! NSF

Chromegorilla
10-29-2007, 06:54 AM
I've had Dish Network, DirectTV and HD through my local cable company.
Direct TV was hands down the best.
DishNetwork second
local cable HD a DISTANT third.
Besides the huge HD selection on DirectTV, I found the HD picture slightly better than with DishNetwork.
Local cables sucked ballz.....only about 10 channels and the HD wasn't spectacular...and it cost way friggin more....total joke.
Currently for me DirectTV offers the best picture, the most channels and the best price. Easy decision.

HocusPocus
10-29-2007, 06:57 AM
i have had direct tv since the first week it was available and have had the HD from them for over a year. i have never had any problems at all.

Jyruiz
10-29-2007, 07:02 AM
HD on DirecTV is about as good as you are going to get, that does not mean it is the best PQ out of all of them, but it has improved some since they went with the new SATs and MPEG 4. Cable is starting to overcompress there channels in order to get more HD, so there PQ is going down as well. At one point I would have gone with Dish, but they have gone to HD lite as well, so I would not go with anybody else than DirecTV right now.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the tips. We really appreciate it.
We just booked it on the strength of your recomendations.
Because we have regular Direct in the RV, they wanted to nix any free offers or cheap dealios and charge us $675.
But check this out, and hold this thought:
I leaned on them and,,,
The chix on the phone wrote up the new house installation / High Def order like we were moving, and it's all free. 4 rooms, (service to 4 HD tv's), installation, recievers, dish all $0 cost.
Only problems in the RV has been the Direct reciever in the RV living room needs replacing every 5-6 months,, where the Sony reciever in our RV bedroom never has problems.
Getting Direct to replace the recievers has been a hassle, but with perservance, they come through. The secret is get an agent that speak clean english, and seems to know the system.

wedge44
10-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I've had both Direct HD and Dish HD and I'm now with Cable.....lousy customer service from both Satelite companies....Direct was the worse...and I don't miss the Satelite when we are camping anymore:D :D :D
in regards to the voice being out of sinc....check how you are running thru your reciever for the 5.1 surround sound.....sounds like you are running thru a component hook-up......wedge

dmontzsta
10-29-2007, 11:34 AM
I love my DirecTV, my biggest complaint with Dish was their service and the fact that one box ran two rooms and random channel switching was retarded.

Stoneman
10-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Direct has NFL Sunday Ticket, what else could you ask for???

desertbird
10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
We have Time Warner cable and the sound is outta Sync with the picture, and it costs $150 a month only has a few HDTV stations, and for that price we get no premium stations.
Direct offers much more. Wife wants me to call and get them out here to install it.
Is the Direct High Def OK? Work OK? Any bugs? Any tips or tales?
Thanks.
I'm in the same boat. We have Time Warner HD with the DVR package + internet. For us, it's the best, especially in a condo where it's a pain to put up the dish and route the wires.
Now I see the ads for 100+ HD channels from Direct, and I don't think there is any way we are not going to changeover when we move! Let me know how you like the HD service from Direct.

Nord
10-29-2007, 12:19 PM
I have had Direct TV for almost 7 years now and I strongly recommend it. Their customer service is second to none.

Wet Dream
10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Haven't had any problems with DTV and their HD that a simple phone call didn't fix. The only thing I've even noticed a problem with is FOX's broadcast of a football game. It seems extremely dark and the graphics are almost unreadable, they suck.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Dont let my recent follies with DirecTV sway you away from them. I had a glitch and thats about it and can be expected with any service provider. The prices you are paying is absurd. My package costs me about $60 @mo and includes the protection package. The internet I still get from NPG at around $40. I am so much more pleased with Direct than NPG Cable that I cant convey the joy. The HD picture quality varies somewhat but as I understand it is because thats what the program provider controls. Over all I'm very satisfied with the HD picture and the service, would recommend them for sure!! NSF
Do you recomend the SAT internet with them too?
Will it be a dog and pony show getting it running?
The kids all get their homework assignments over the net, and even tutoring, homework hotlink with their schools,, and all kinds of other school inneraction so it's a BFD we get it correct.
Thanks for the takes and imputs.
It's a new era, streets ahead of the TPC.

dmontzsta
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Do you recomend the SAT internet with them too?
Will it be a dog and pony show getting it running?
The kids all get their homework assignments over the net, and even tutoring, homework hotlink with their schools,, and all kinds of other school inneraction so it's a BFD we get it correct.
Thanks for the takes and imputs.
It's a new era, streets ahead of the TPC.
Satelite internet sucks.
I would go with Verizon FIOS or their fastest DSL for internet service.