PDA

View Full Version : SLR cameras...

YeLLowBoaT
10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Any one have a good recomendation on which models to look at?

OGShocker
10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
In a word, Nikon (http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=35573722).

Wet Dream
10-29-2007, 12:48 PM
There was a great thread about this 2 weeks ago, more info there.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-29-2007, 02:18 PM
In a word, Nikon (http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=35573722).
Yep, there it is; Nikon , and COSTCO has the best deals.
Avoid the user un-friendly Panasonics.
PITA to use.

77charger
10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
any of the canons.I prefer the,30d,40d over the rebel xt,xti cause of the size the xts feel real small.But both will do very good
I have a 20d(8.1mp) and a rebel eos.(6.3mp)Both take very good pics no real difference in pic quality but the 20d has a couple more features that i like for motorsports mainly ai servo and can take a burst of 25 pics.Also using L lenses 17-40 and a 70-200.
You can probably get a good deal on the 30d since it has been replaced 40d which has some better improvements over the 30d.The 30d replaced the 20d but no real improvements mainly a bigger lcd screen.(basically same camera)Or you can go big and just get one of the 1d series.

Baja Big Dog
10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
any of the canons.I prefer the,30d,40d over the rebel xt,xti cause of the size the xts feel real small.But both will do very good
I have a 20d(8.1mp) and a rebel eos.(6.3mp)Both take very good pics no real difference in pic quality but the 20d has a couple more features that i like for motorsports mainly ai servo and can take a burst of 25 pics.Also using L lenses 17-40 and a 70-200.
You can probably get a good deal on the 30d since it has been replaced 40d which has some better improvements over the 30d.The 30d replaced the 20d but no real improvements mainly a bigger lcd screen.(basically same camera)Or you can go big and just get one of the 1d series.
The 40d has improvements that would be of NO benefit to anyone asking this question on this forum, the 30d has features that the 20d doesnt that could be desirable to some people, a few are: Fast turn on time, dont have to turn the camera on, push button and go, and the other is rapid fire, or motor drive.
Are you looking for a film or digital camera?
Dont buy a camera based on pixel count, 99% of most "pleasure" photographers will never blow up a picture to door size, so 10MP is an overkill.

YeLLowBoaT
10-29-2007, 04:03 PM
What I'm basicly looking for is a digital camera that has very little "lag" between the time you press the shutter release and the time the pic comes out. I would also like something that can take atleast 3 pics a second. In other words I want a digital "normal" 35 mm camera.

clownpuncher
10-29-2007, 04:09 PM
40D....for slr's. 40 DD for bft's

clownpuncher
10-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Seriously, the Canon 40D seems to do everything I need, and lot of things I don't think I'll ever use.
Seems to be a pretty popuilar choice as my Best Buy has been sold out of them for a weeks. Gonna get one for my wifes B-day. With the larger card, zoom lens and bag it'll come to about 2200.00. Pretty pricey, but, I like the damnnear instant capability to shoot from start-up, and the burst mode. ABility to change lenses is also a huge thing for my wife.
Good luck in your search, there's a lot of choices (too many for me) out there.

77charger
10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
The 40d has improvements that would be of NO benefit to anyone asking this question on this forum, the 30d has features that the 20d doesnt that could be desirable to some people, a few are: Fast turn on time, dont have to turn the camera on, push button and go, and the other is rapid fire, or motor drive.
Are you looking for a film or digital camera?
Dont buy a camera based on pixel count, 99% of most "pleasure" photographers will never blow up a picture to door size, so 10MP is an overkill.
Recheck the 20d specs it does have fast turn on time same as the 30d .02 seconds or something like that.I have mine set to turn off after 1 minute but touch the shutter button it is on right now.My digital rebel well it takes time.Also rapid fire and motor drive on a 20d.Just a bigger lcd screen:)
I do agreee on the pixel count i can blow up a a pic from my 6.3 digital rebel to 13x19 easily and compared to a one from my 20d unless you get out a magnifying glass you will not see a difference i print with a canon pro9000 photo printer.
the 40d uses a whole new sensor over its predecessors(20d,30d)And imo is overkill for alot of peeps

Noisy Nova
10-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Fuji S5 PRO

porknbeanr
10-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Just got a Canon Rebel xti today...still learning how to make it work. :D

77charger
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
What I'm basicly looking for is a digital camera that has very little "lag" between the time you press the shutter release and the time the pic comes out. I would also like something that can take atleast 3 pics a second. In other words I want a digital "normal" 35 mm camera.
An xti should fill those needs then easily for under 800 bucks.nikon also has some that will do the same for around the same price i just aint familiar with the nikons.
Sometimes i still see the canon xt(replaced by the xti)in the ads for cheap but harder to come by since i believe they are discontinued.
30ds and 40ds are going to be around 1400 or more bucks for complete kits .
you can look online at
b&h photo-very good online ordering and pricing too.
samys camera- they run ads every thursday in the papers also.

boat boy
10-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Been using the Rebel SLR for a year, love it . Still trying to learn how to use the zoom lens correctly, but otherthan that its a great body. Saw the 40d at the Cannon shop today, looks like it offers quite a few things the Rebel does not. Question is can you justify the cost difference, understand the 40d body starts around 1,400.

rivercrazy
10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I gotta throw a vote out to Nikon as well. The D70 with a 70-200 F2.8 zoom is the schizzzzz

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Pros use the Nikons; they have superior lenses. However, I have beat both of my Canons to hell. I have a 30 year old A-1 (model before the AE-1) that has been to the desert, jeeping, river, beach, been dropped, got sand IN it, and it keeps on trucking. I have to take it apart every couple of years and let it get carnal with a can of air, then it's happy again. I also have a digital Canon Rebel XT. Same thing except for the sand. I'm a little more careful with it, but just a little. Back in the day when I was a pro and did weddings and portraits, I used my Canon.
Oh, and the button to shutter time is instant, but I think it is for all of the high end digital SLRs. One downfall of these cameras is they are bulky. I wish I still had my little Olympus digital camera. It's nice to just stick your camera in the pocket of your jacket and go. Can't do that with an SLR.

Tom Brown
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Pros use the Nikons.
More pros use Canon than any other brand. Nikon is a distant second. I'll take Canon lenses over Nikon too, but Nikkor makes some world class lenses also.
.... just a little info. :)
In my opinion, this argument is ridiculous in this forum. Asking what the best camera is will allow us to find out who is using what. :D
I used to own a Canon dSLR and liked very well. I've tried just about everything from Nikon too and also find them excellent.

Tom Brown
10-29-2007, 07:22 PM
A guy I used to work for has a blad. I think 99% of the people who say they are great have never used one. A slower piece of shit, I've never used.

HemiDude
10-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Canon by far first choice, Nikon next. Stay away from Sony, Fuji and Panasonic.
My dad was a PRO-Photographer and new his stuff even into his 80's. His peeps never doubted him, neither did I... He knew his digital too....
Have an A1 that has seen it all good and bad...it's still tickin too....

Tom Brown
10-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Have an A1 that has seen it all good and bad...it's still tickin too....
You want a pile of glass.... cheap... as in... you pay shipping?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-29-2007, 07:29 PM
:D yeah, but i'd still rather view my subject thru a Nikon-Nikkor ED IF lens any day of the week, especially the 200mm, 400mm or 600mm telephotos !! for still work i'd use a Hassleblad.
I had a Mamiya and thought it was just as good for 1/2 the price.
TB, let me rephrase that. Most pros I know use a Nikon. I hadn't checked the statistics, Mr. Smartypants :D
Both Canon and Nikon are great. B&H is where I get most of my stuff, but Jeff got the camera at Ritz'. B&H has great prices and the shipping is not bad considering they are in NYC.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Yellowboat, make sure you shop your accessories. The camera's are pretty much the same price everywhere.
Samy's standard 100-300 lens (http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=3732) Shipping from LA to Menifee $11.23
B&H standard 100-300 lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12059-GREY/Canon_2565A003_100_300mm_f_4_5_5_6_USM_Autofocus.h tml) Shipping from NY to Menifee $6.15

77charger
10-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Yellowboat, make sure you shop your accessories. The camera's are pretty much the same price everywhere.
Samy's standard 100-300 lens (http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=3732) Shipping from LA to Menifee $11.23
B&H standard 100-300 lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12059-GREY/Canon_2565A003_100_300mm_f_4_5_5_6_USM_Autofocus.h tml) Shipping from NY to Menifee $6.15
dont know where he lives but if a ca resident an order from samys will cost you sales tax too!
When i bought my last L lens i ordered from b&h i was able to get second day shipping and still save vs the price samys had on the internet minus shipping and tax.
One thing with samys is their internet pricing is cheaper than if you went into the store to buy it direct.But if i need something right away or dont want to order online i usually go to the santa ana store plus if you have any questions they can be answered right there.Was one reason i bought my 70-200L from them last year.
Both good places IMO.

RiverRatMike
10-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Olympus cameras are my choice. Just take a look at my lightning photos and you'll see.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
I had a regular digital Olympus and was very happy with it. I wish I hadn't given it away when I got my Rebel. Is yours a digital SLR, Mike?