PDA

View Full Version : 3M Colorquartz pool surface

Ion
10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Anyone have this in their pool or spa? I'm having mine re-surfaced and like the 10 year warranty this product offers (compared to 2 with conv. plaster) and prefer it to Pebbletec, but none of the pools I've seen with it have anything that resembles consistant distribution of the quartz "speclkes". It almost appears as if there are trowel marks smearing off or removing them in it's path.

INSman
10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
You doing this in Havasu ?!?

al cole'holic
10-29-2007, 07:19 PM
...I did it in my pool remodel 6 years ago and am very happy with the results. I am not a firm believer in PebbleTec nor saltwater setups, so this was my choice. The color is awesome and very consistent throughout the job, which I imagine is all in the company/contractor you use. The color is more defined in the baja step and stair tops as it is closer to the surface, I went with a 3 color blend. :D

Redneck
10-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I just went to a house the other day that had this done and the first time I saw it I couldnt see the blue then they put acid in and the blue came out the next time they did the acid it got better and so on. I guess after about 5 gallons of acid over time the color comes out. It looks great too

Ion
10-29-2007, 07:22 PM
I just went to a house the other day that had this done and the first time I saw it I couldnt see the blue then they put acid in and the blue came out the next time they did the acid it got better and so on. I guess after about 5 gallons of acid over time the color comes out. It looks great too
Do you think they'd mind if I had a look-see? Do you know who did theirs?

Ion
10-29-2007, 07:22 PM
You doing this in Havasu ?!?
Yes

INSman
10-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Yes
I would call Den at Sandcastle and inquire as to his opinion as a "builder" to see what he says. Does a geat job and has been building in Havasu for a long time. He may highly recommend or advise otherwise.
I have Pebblefina, but 3m is a big company with a good reputation but application of the product may just make all the difference in the world.

AQUA-HOLICS
10-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Warranty is only as good as the Co. that applies the product and how long they stay in business, consistant distribution will not be as easy to achive as Pebble-Tec due to color variations, troul marks will appear in the plaster when it looses hydration durring trouling and is "over trouled", home owners like 3M over Pebble-Tec due to the feel of the plaster ( smoother than Peeble-Tec ) you have more color selections than Pebble-Tec and what they dont realize is that 3M will not date the pool ( in 10 years rock pools will be out-dated when the next best thing comes around ).

riverracerx
10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
I am not a firm believer in PebbleTec nor saltwater setups
Damn, don't look at my pool then... :D
in 10 years rock pools will be out-dated when the next best thing comes around
My rock work sucks anyway, but I will be happy with it in 10 years! :D
http://riverracerx.com/pool/images/DSC00171.jpg

Mandelon
10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
We had it done by Western Pools here in San Diego.
The specks are pretty light, and not all that consistent. It looks kinda cool, but also kinda like there's 4 pounds of pepper in the pool too. :rolleyes:
Its smoother than plaster and way smoother than that 30 grit pebbletec coating. A couple trips to a hotel pool and skinning my knuckles taught me I didn't want that stuff.
It is less likely to get algae than real plaster.
I do have 4 spots on the baja step that are starting to peel....its been 8 years into our 25 year warranty. I need to write a letter to the pool guys to make a warranty claim.

al cole'holic
10-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Damn, don't look at my pool then... :D
...your pool is sick, no question about that. I have had a pool since the day I was born, it's a personal preference :)

BoatPI
10-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I had mine done last year in Havasu. It turned out well but it seems to have fewer pebbles that the pool I was told to look at as an example of the companies past work. Maybe it was me, but it seemed like more white plaster showed through.
The finish is smooth as a babys as*! No problems after a year and very easy to clean. In my opinion the only was to go. It sparkles.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I love my Pebble-Tec surface.