PDA

View Full Version : USS Midway

RitcheyRch
11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Anyone been on the USS Midway tour in San Diego? I am thinking about going next week and was wondering what others though of the tour.

Stoneman
11-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Anyone been on the USS Midway tour in San Diego? I am thinking about going next week and was wondering what others though of the tour.
I spent a year on that tub in 83. Tour is good if you have never been on a carrier.

RitcheyRch
11-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Never been on a carrier. Looking forward to going on the tour.
http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=eeIGLLOrGpF&b=3038957

DeltaSigBoater
11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Its cool for what it is

Stoneman
11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Never been on a carrier. Looking forward to going on the tour.
http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=eeIGLLOrGpF&b=3038957
you will be amazed how small the living spaces are. Plus it's a pretty old boat.

2Driver
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
We did it in August. Really cool. Be sure to go. They have a lot of planes on it as well. You can spend 3 hours on it easy. They give you headphones and you punch in a number of where you are standing and it tells you what you are looking at along with commentary from actual crew members
Everything is self guided except the tower. Get there early and do the tower (island) tour first as the line gets long. The rest of the time is yours to walk freely about.
I got a huge sense of pride and reflected on those that do not contribute to this country's base. It takes a lot of money, talent and bravery to get that thing to sea.

dirty old man
11-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Great tour

redneckcharlie
11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
I was on it for the first time during the thunderboat series. It was really cool! The enormity of the Midway is humbling. The USS Reagan was in port across the harbor, and was something like another half in weight, and an additional hundred feet or so in length. Checking out the Island is a must to!

hotlavey
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I was on it for the first time during the thunderboat series. It was really cool! The enormity of the Midway is humbling. The USS Reagan was in port across the harbor, and was something like another half in weight, and an additional hundred feet or so in length. Checking out the Island is a must to!
I really enjoyed the tour. I had never been on a carrier before and I was amazed at how really small the deck is for landing aircraft. As a former AirForce pilot I have a ton of respect for the guys that fly off these things, simply awesome talent for sure.
More info on the carrier here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Midway_(CV-41)

Assume The Position
11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I spent 2 years on it 84-86. Been on the tour 2 times since its been in San Diego. The tour is alot of fun and it even has some flight simulators in the hanger bay. Have fun

Stoneman
11-01-2007, 02:36 PM
I spent 2 years on it 84-86. Been on the tour 2 times since its been in San Diego. The tour is alot of fun and it even has some flight simulators in the hanger bay. Have fun
I was on the mudpuppy from 83-84 did 111 days in the IO. Got 4 beers!!!
we had the Marine RF-4B's. last ones to be on that POS. I'm a Shellback!!!

Phat Matt
11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I was on it for a party during the Red Bull air races. It was pretty cool. I want to go back and take the full tour during the day.

Lightning
11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
My neighbor volunteers on their giving tours... I've never been, but I've heard it's pretty cool.

RitcheyRch
11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Just bought my tickets on line so we will be there next weekend. Thought was kind of odd that you have to register the tickets and the tickets come out with the persons name on them.

Mattman
11-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Great tour. Make sure you make the climb up to the bridge and watch your head when your down in the mess hall and infirmary. I'm 6'3 and it got interesting in some of those areas. Kind of cool to stand an listen to the actual voices who have been there and done that. My nephew also was able to spend the night on board with his class from school. Had a great time.