PDA

View Full Version : Stereo install questions.

djunkie
03-02-2006, 01:32 PM
So I'm getting ready to do my install and I have a few questions about powering my amps. My batteries are mounted in the back of the boat and the amps will be about 10 feet from them. How would you recomend getting the power and ground to them? I have 3 amps. Should I run a seperate power and ground wire to each or should I run a single 1/0 power and grond to a distribution block and split from there at the amps?
The amps are a single JL 500/1 class D and 2 200 watt amps for highs.
Also need to power the headunit. Do you guys run the power to it through the ignition or should I run it straight from the batteries also? I have 2 stereo specific batteries by the way.

LAFD
03-02-2006, 01:49 PM
i used the distribution block i was only running to amps it makes it alot easier to only have to run one set of hot and ground.

djunkie
03-02-2006, 02:00 PM
i used the distribution block i was only running to amps it makes it alot easier to only have to run one set of hot and ground.
Thats what I was thinking. One big power wire from the baterries to a distribution block by the amps. Did you fuse the main wire or did you do it all at the distribution block?

Cole Trickle
03-02-2006, 03:08 PM
I ran 2 Odyssey 1700's to a standalone Perko.
I have a Circuit Breaker less than 12" from the Perko and then the 0/1 gauge wire going to a distribution block in the middle of the boat.Makes for a cleaner/easier install.

djunkie
03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I ran 2 Odyssey 1700's to a standalone Perko.
I have a Circuit Breaker less than 12" from the Perko and then the 0/1 gauge wire going to a distribution block in the middle of the boat.Makes for a cleaner/easier install.
What are you running off of it? And how big of a breaker? Right now I have 3 batteries going into a perko. 1 for starting and the other 2 for stereo.

djunkie
03-02-2006, 06:51 PM
One big run to the distribution block and then to each amp. Fuse the long single run right at the batteries and use a fused distribution block, that should take care of it.
Thanks. Thats what I'll do. Would a circuit breaker be better on the single big one or is a fuse recomended? And was size should the fuse/breaker be?

phebus
03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks. Thats what I'll do. Would a circuit breaker be better on the single big one or is a fuse recomended? And was size should the fuse/breaker be?
If a circuit breaker can meet your demands, I would go with a circuit breaker. You need to add up your max amperage draw, and see if you can buy a circuit breaker that meets the demand. Circuit breakers are nice, because you can use them as a shutoff if you need to isolate the circuit, or if your boat goes in for repair. Just check your manuals and see what fuse rating they call for on each amp and add it up.

djunkie
03-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll go for the circuit breaker.

Beer-30
03-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I don't see that a FUSED distribution block is necessary. I don't know of an amp, these days, that does not have its own fuse(s). The circuit breaker by the battery should be all that is needed.

phebus
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
My Phoenix Gold Xenon amps don't have external fuses. Whether or not they have internal fuses, I don't know, but I do know it would be a pain in the ass if I had to replace them if they do.

Beer-30
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Most of them are right on the end cap, one end or the other. Of course, some don't have fuses at all. PG may be one of them.

Havasu Hangin'
03-03-2006, 05:11 AM
I've always used a fused distribution block in case an amp cam loose (or similar). If that four gauge wire grounded on something, it could get real hot before it tripped the main fuse.
But that's just me.

djunkie
03-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I've always used a fused distribution block in case an amp cam loose (or similar). If that four gauge wire grounded on something, it could get real hot before it tripped the main fuse.
But that's just me.
I've decided to go with a single 1/0 cable from the baterry to a cicuit breaker. Then from there it will run all the way to the amps where I will have a fused distribution block. Sound ok?
And how about the ground wire? I was gonna run another 1/0 to a ground post by the amps and split everything from there.

Beer-30
03-03-2006, 10:47 AM
I was going to do the same. 1/0 power and ground to distribution blocks. Both will match. Although, if I end up using a fused power block, the ground obviously would not be fused. Everything will be equal - power/ground.

Jesster
03-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Here's something posted by ROZ a while back hope it helps...
Perko terminal 2, 0ga ring terminal onto 0 ga wire that's less than 18", 0ga ring terminal, 150amp circuit breaker, 0ga ring terminal onto 0ga wire run to amp location, and attatch to dist block. From here distribute power to each amp using the correct fusing, 4ga wire run to 4ga ring terminal of each amp's constant 12v positive terminal. Most amps accept 4ga these days..
For the ground: negative battery post, 0ga ground wire, and run to ground distribution block. Use a 0 ga crimpless ring connector on the 0ga wire and attatch to the negative bussbar on the distribution block. (if you are using this type of dist block) From there Connect 4ga wire to the negative input on the amps..
Wire the headunit's remote turnon to the relay. wire the relay's ground. Wire 12 constant into the relay. connect 2 16ga wires with spade connectors onto the relay and run them to the amp's remote turn on terminals.
Now all you have to do is wire up your speakers...

ROZ
03-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Someone opend the wayback files on that one ;) :D

LAFD
03-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Thats what I was thinking. One big power wire from the baterries to a distribution block by the amps. Did you fuse the main wire or did you do it all at the distribution block?
yeah i put a breaker from the battery to the block along with the fuses in the block.

Havasu Hangin'
03-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Here's something posted by ROZ a while back hope it helps...
Perko terminal 2, 0ga ring terminal onto 0 ga wire that's less than 18", 0ga ring terminal, 150amp circuit breaker, 0ga ring terminal onto 0ga wire run to amp location, and attatch to dist block. From here distribute power to each amp using the correct fusing, 4ga wire run to 4ga ring terminal of each amp's constant 12v positive terminal. Most amps accept 4ga these days..
For the ground: negative battery post, 0ga ground wire, and run to ground distribution block. Use a 0 ga crimpless ring connector on the 0ga wire and attatch to the negative bussbar on the distribution block. (if you are using this type of dist block) From there Connect 4ga wire to the negative input on the amps..
Wire the headunit's remote turnon to the relay. wire the relay's ground. Wire 12 constant into the relay. connect 2 16ga wires with spade connectors onto the relay and run them to the amp's remote turn on terminals.
Now all you have to do is wire up your speakers...
You gonna listen to a pool guy? :supp:

Jesster
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Someone opend the wayback files on that one ;) :D
The search feature is an amazing thing if used, most questions have been asked and answered a number of times. Ive learned tons from ROZ, HH, Shockwavebob and Riverbound. Badass38shevy's got a lot of good info and it looks like he just started into this stuff about a year or so ago. Just browsing old posts turns up more info than you really need but "it's all good."

Jesster
03-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Phebus too, sorry about that. :rollside:

djunkie
03-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Bought everything but the wires today. Circuit breaker, fuse block, and a ground post. Gonna run probably 1/0 from batteries to breaker, 1/0 from breaker to fuse block by the amps, then 4 guage to amps. Then run 1/0 ground from batteries to a post by amps, 4 guage to amps. I think it should work.

BadKachina
03-03-2006, 07:24 PM
You're not protecting the amp, you're protecting the individual run of wire. A loose piece of 4 gauge wire can do alot of damage before it blows a 200 amp cirucuit breaker or ANL fuse.
Ask to see the scar where my wedding ring used to reside, I'll show you what 4 Optimas batteries dead shorted on a wrench can do. ;)
I've done that.......... Melted the wrench to the battery post, and burnt the palm of my hand trying to get it off. :220v:

Riverkid
03-03-2006, 08:02 PM
I had a supervisor once on a big UPS system that forgot to take his watch off. The band made a really nasty, stinky tatoo...
That one left a mark. Been pulling everything off before I get near a DC plant ever since...
You can arc weld with battery current. Be careful. :)

ROZ
03-04-2006, 09:50 AM
You gonna listen to a pool guy? :supp:
I wouldn't... ;)

djunkie
03-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Ok I have another question for you experts. How do you guys power your headunits? Do you go through the ignition switch? Or do you just wire it direct?

rivercrazy
03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Ok I have another question for you experts. How do you guys power your headunits? Do you go through the ignition switch? Or do you just wire it direct?
I wired mine directly to the Perko Switch.

djunkie
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I wired mine directly to the Perko Switch.
So you don't run the ignition lead to a switch?

ROZ
03-06-2006, 01:49 PM
no... There are times when you want to use the stereo without using the accessories...
I'd wire to the perko and wire the yelow lead, constant 12v for memory, directly to the battery... Keeps your eq and station presets...

djunkie
03-06-2006, 01:57 PM
no... There are times when you want to use the stereo without using the accessories...
I'd wire to the perko and wire the yelow lead, constant 12v for memory, directly to the battery... Keeps your eq and station presets...
Ok. I was just wondering how everyone did it. I do have a 3 way ignition switch though so I wouldn't have the ignition on. Its a long run to the perko switch so I was thinking of hooking it up that way so when I stop I can just turn the key to the left just like in a car.

ROZ
03-06-2006, 02:23 PM
It does make good sense... You can do it either way you like :)

djunkie
03-06-2006, 02:32 PM
It does make good sense... You can do it either way you like :)
Ya I think I'll do that. Cause it would be much simpler and less wire to run.