PDA

View Full Version : Ca DMV motorcycle license ????

Get415
11-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I already have the permit but not sure about taking the M1 road test. Whats the easiest...just sign up for one of those (3) day schools that gets you licensed or just take the DMV test.
Other problem is i dont think i can pass on my bike (road king)????? :mad:
and what does the dmv test consist of?

YeLLowBoaT
11-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I would highly recomend taking the class... it will teach you things that you need to SURVIE driving on the street.
the test is not that bad... you go a short distance one way showing that you can up shift, down shift and brake smoothly. then you have to be able to drive in a tight circle( between two lines, this will be hard with a road king) I beleave there is a salom of cones as well. Its been 7-8 years since I took the test. I no longer ride on the street.

RitcheyRch
11-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Take the class and most of them give you a certificate to take to DMV to get your license.
I took a class through Nelson Motorcycle Training Center that was held at College of the Canyons in Valencia.

Get415
11-04-2007, 12:40 PM
ok thanks. i figuered the class would be the way to go, but didnt really have the time to do it. Guess i'll have to adjust the schedule....if only i dated someone from the DMV and got the hookup... oh well

DILLIGAF
11-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Take the class as the safety class never hurt anybody. It may also help you realize a couple of things that you are doing that are dangerous.
My GF is going thru a class soon out in AZ.

RitcheyRch
11-04-2007, 12:46 PM
The class isnt bad. I actually enjoyed it and was fun to buzz around on their little 250 cc motorcycles.
ok thanks. i figuered the class would be the way to go, but didnt really have the time to do it. Guess i'll have to adjust the schedule....if only i dated someone from the DMV and got the hookup... oh well

Kindsvater Flat
11-04-2007, 12:46 PM
When I got mine I took it on a friends dual sport rather than trying on the fatboy. Much easier to do.

Troy McClure
11-04-2007, 01:05 PM
If you're an experience rider, I'd just take the road test. Not that hard, I passed it on a Fat Boy. If you can ride, you can do it.
If NOT an experienced rider, take the class. I guess it would be worth the time according to the others above.
Good luck.

INSman
11-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Take the class as the safety class never hurt anybody. It may also help you realize a couple of things that you are doing that are dangerous.
My GF is going thru a class soon out in AZ.
Quit braggin' about having a GF and shit ... :D

Roaddogg 4040
11-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Please take the class and then take the advanced class... You won't believe how much it will help your driving skills. You should be able to pass the test on a Road King or a Bagger, with no problems at all. If you can't, you should take the classes again...:D
Steve

DILLIGAF
11-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Is that what I was doing? lol
She has been riding hers in the AZ hood within the gates. Soon she will complete her class and we will start venturing out around AZ back roads. Might even ride down to Havasu some day. We are looking forward to getting out and riding together.
:)

YeLLowBoaT
11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
have you seen his "GF"
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/11/39nov1-always-check-the-bulge.jpg

maxwedge
11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Take the class! In fact, take any MSF type instruction you can. It may save your life or somebody elses. I took both the begginer and experienced rider courses when I was in HS and learned a ton from it. I know that info has saved my life a time or two.
Funny story-
A buddy and I took the IL state test on my little honda CL175 one Saturday morning when I was 18yo. Some greasy, grey haired 50 year old DMV employee, who looked like he just woke up from 2 hours of sleep after a week long cocaine binge in hell, was administering the state test. This guy was clearly extremely pissed that he had to go out and set up all the cones first thing in the morning. My buddy went first. DMV guy kept mumbeling instructions in a drunken slur like; "Go the cones right & complete a stop ta the left then right n to the left cones again while yer done accelrating past the stopping point n when I say turn, go whicher way I point. Got it?" Then once you started driving he'd yell something like: "NO NO NO! Stop right there! I saidta go left downer thed a that course theda go rightn the nextn n ya went right before I saida go right! jusdoit agin!" I think we both stopped in the middle of riding about 10 times and just looked at the guy and shrugged our shoulders, to which the guy would respond by either saying "Okay good job" or "Jus tryn doit agin" seemingly at random.
Funny thing is, my buddy and I both passed somehow, in fact, when we were all done, and I was sure we both had failed miserably the guy said something like: " yeach missed 3 points btweenya fer yer turns bein wrong buttsokay nacountatha the stade'lllows ya sixteen, so yous both kin both goinside n getyer liscence now."
His instructions were so incoherent that to this day we never did figure out how the hell we passed or what the hell we were supposed to do in the first place. But I do know we were laughing so hard I almost pissed my pants while we were making fun of the guy on the drive home:D

DILLIGAF
11-04-2007, 01:37 PM
She was a little bloated that day

YeLLowBoaT
11-04-2007, 01:41 PM
She was a little bloated that day
keep telling yourself that.

DILLIGAF
11-04-2007, 02:01 PM
keep telling yourself that.
lol........

vee-driven
11-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Now thats a mound you can pitch from.

hkunz
11-04-2007, 03:12 PM
If you can ride, you can pass the test, but the classes are the hot ticket for survival. I took several over the years, always the same, but still good refreshers.

Baja Big Dog
11-04-2007, 03:33 PM
have you seen his "GF"
Sumpins wrong with that!!:eek:

Schi-502
11-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Take the class. The life you save might be mine!

bchbum
11-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I took the test at dmv , never left thr parking lot . Went around the cones & circle ,hit 2 gears going around the building & I was done . I had a dual sport at this time , made easy to pass.

riverbound
11-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I took the class since I ws 15 at the time and it was the only way. I got in trouble for doing the course too fast :(

Ivan Dan
11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
The class also gets you a 10% discount on your insurance. :D

Kilrtoy
11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
I already have the permit but not sure about taking the M1 road test. Whats the easiest...just sign up for one of those (3) day schools that gets you licensed or just take the DMV test.
Just take yourself up to Rinaldi and the 405 and get the best slow riding class in the world....

Troy McClure
11-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Don't think that's a mound, that looks like more of a Tuck....:sqeyes: :sqeyes:

Dan Lorenze
11-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I took the test a couple of years ago on my brothers DRZ400, to me a Road King would be a challenge.

Kilrtoy
11-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I took the test a couple of years ago on my brothers DRZ400, to me a Road King would be a challenge.
I could do the road king one handed using the clutch only, It really is not that hard

Dan Lorenze
11-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I could do the road king one handed using the clutch only, It really is not that hard
Let me guess, you were up on a wheelie too... :)

Lavey5150
11-06-2007, 09:00 AM
A Road King will pass, if you can't pass the DMV practical test, you really shouldn't be riding in the first place w/ out training........................

Baja Big Dog
11-06-2007, 09:53 AM
A Road King will pass, if you can't pass the DMV practical test, you really shouldn't be riding in the first place w/ out training........................
Im a newbie to Harley's, Im on my 9th bike in 35 years, do about 20-30 k a year, but I have to disagree with ease of passing that stupid test on a Road King, accidentally let my motorcycle license go about 15 years ago, had to take the test at the local DMV, failed that fricken thing 6 times on a Road King, (900 lb bikes dont like going in 15' circles) Almost made it on the last try, but the bag hit the cone, didn t knock it over, just hit it, the tree hugger bitchh failed me, got in her face, told her this was not test of driving ability for a motorcycle, told her to get her hairy arm pits on the back and Id take her for a ride, for some reason she declined!!!:mad:

Ziggy
11-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Um, I actually did that when I was 15 getting mine.....after acing the test of course....The DMV guy back then was cool about it cuz he could tell I knew what I was doing:D
Years later I went and did an ATV safety course so my son could ride legally on hios quad(back when they first started safety training)...the guy running the class asked why I was there cuz even in my mid 20's I had been riding longer than him.
Still carry that ATV cert in my wallet :D:D:D

DILLIGAF
11-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Im a newbie to Harley's, Im on my 9th bike in 35 years, do about 20-30 k a year, but I have to disagree with ease of passing that stupid test on a Road King, accidentally let my motorcycle license go about 15 years ago, had to take the test at the local DMV, failed that fricken thing 6 times on a Road King, (900 lb bikes dont like going in 15' circles) Almost made it on the last try, but the bag hit the cone, didn t knock it over, just hit it, the tree hugger bitchh failed me, got in her face, told her this was not test of driving ability for a motorcycle, told her to get her hairy arm pits on the back and Id take her for a ride, for some reason she declined!!!:mad:
lol.......
I agree about the DMV test and using a RK.

YeLLowBoaT
11-06-2007, 11:47 AM
no, he did it dressed like this
http://www.collegedowntime.com/funnypictures/images/Most_Disturbing_Picture_I_Have_Ever_Seen.jpg

BrianB
11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Clam guard icepack ?
Anti-sheeps foot ?
Puffer pad ?
Proceed with caution :confused:

Kilrtoy
11-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Bring your Road King and one thousand bucks and I'll be more than happy to prove it to you

DogMan
11-06-2007, 12:59 PM
"Whats the easiest"??? Please take a MSF course. You'll learn skills on how to ride & break, and more importantly...how to THINK while on a bike. ATGATT always...enjoy!:)

Kilrtoy
11-06-2007, 01:00 PM
These guys seem to have no problems
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VuQ1i1W0I2s

Lavey5150
11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Impressive, but the two cop thingy was, well, gay...........

Ivan Dan
11-06-2007, 04:13 PM
These guys seem to have no problems
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VuQ1i1W0I2s
Is that you???? :) :D :)

Cole Trickle
11-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Nope....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BSzEmPEnYxo
:D :eek:

Kilrtoy
11-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Nope, but I can do that on a BMW which is helluva alot harder to do than a road king

Kilrtoy
11-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Nope....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BSzEmPEnYxo
:D :eek:
The only problem with that video for the opening of the show is, at 53 seconds John is covering his break. That is a big No No
and i never wore my pants that tight

Kilrtoy
11-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Guess that YOUTUBE video just shut up all the posers on here that claim it can't be done

syco
11-06-2007, 11:41 PM
The test is a cake walk. Passed it on my Electroglide.:D