PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco (places to stay)

uLtRADeNniS
11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
What is a nice hotel to stay there? I want something near sight seeing, restaurants, bars and shopping.
Every time I go to AAA.com and read there feedback and book something I end up at a dump, or next to a freeway.
Anyone have any feed back?

Aqua Boogie1
11-06-2007, 04:33 PM
The "W" Hotel is very nice. Also the Hilton Hotel is very nice. They're both right down toward the Piers.

GoCiggie31
11-06-2007, 04:47 PM
what is your budget? lots of choices.
As Aqua stated, the W and Hilton(s) are nice hotels. Asian motive the Hotel Nikko My favorite for entertaining is the Omni.
If your looking for some history the Mark Hopkins or Fairmount or Renaissance Stanford Court and a few others.
The Sheraton about a block from the fishermans wharf is going through a remodel and 3/4 of the rooms are nice and complete and are very reasonable.
have fun

gramps
11-06-2007, 04:49 PM
The closest place I'd stay to San Francisco is Reno................

thumbs
11-06-2007, 04:57 PM
You have to spend a few bucks to not be in a dive. I like the St Regis but it's very expensive. I think rooms were around $325 a night last time I was there.
Anything for less that $150 will be a dive imo.

uLtRADeNniS
11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
what is your budget? lots of choices.
As Aqua stated, the W and Hilton(s) are nice hotels. Asian motive the Hotel Nikko My favorite for entertaining is the Omni.
If your looking for some history the Mark Hopkins or Fairmount or Renaissance Stanford Court and a few others.
The Sheraton about a block from the fishermans wharf is going through a remodel and 3/4 of the rooms are nice and complete and are very reasonable.
have fun
A pretty moderate budget. Nothing too fancy like a Ritz Carlton, but nothing at all trashy, like a motel 6.LOL A few bills a night is what I'm looking to spend. Its for me and my girlfriend to just kinda get away. We want a quite weekend. Maybe do a little sight seeing, shopping, go to to few nice restaurants and maybe a few mellow bars. I was hoping to be in good area so that we can taxi everywhere or walk. I've never been there and just need some recommendations on where to stay and where to eat. AAA and all those other sites are crap. Just want a layed back weekend.

LaveyJet
11-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Our favorite place is the Hilton Union Square, walking distance to shopping and Cable Cars. Check out TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=60713&q=San+Francisco%2C+CA&inMonth=11/2007&inDay=9&outMonth=11/2007&outDay=11&adults=2)for feed back.

GoCiggie31
11-06-2007, 05:39 PM
A pretty moderate budget. Nothing too fancy like a Ritz Carlton, but nothing at all trashy, like a motel 6.LOL A few bills a night is what I'm looking to spend. Its for me and my girlfriend to just kinda get away. We want a quite weekend. Maybe do a little sight seeing, shopping, go to to few nice restaurants and maybe a few mellow bars. I was hoping to be in good area so that we can taxi everywhere or walk. I've never been there and just need some recommendations on where to stay and where to eat. AAA and all those other sites are crap. Just want a layed back weekend.
The Sheraton at Fishermans wharf just remodeled many of the rooms and is < $200. Make sure you ask for the remodeled units...also add your room tax, tax on the tax and your parking at 40 per day.
out in the union square dist and financial area as stated above...plan on +300 per night. Also as stated, watch out for the dumps, there are plenty that have little or no value...
have fun

ULTRA26 # 1
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Scoma's used to be a great place to eat. At the Wharf

mjc
11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
I last stayed in the in the King George Hotel last time i was up there and I would go back. It's right on Union Square and I could walk to everything I needed to get to for a quiet weekend.

GoCiggie31
11-06-2007, 05:59 PM
4 eats...there are a ton of selections...what is your taste?
Fancy try Aqua...
if ya like good grub(hoffbrau style) and lots of beer selections...Tommy's Joint accross from Catheral Hill (old Jack Tar Hotel) on Van Ness.
Down by the fishermans wharf the Rain Forest is always a crowd pleaser
Alliotos has great clam chowder.
If you give us your taste, we can point you in the right direction.:D

11-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I was hoping to be in good area so that we can taxi everywhere or walk. I've never been there and just need some recommendations on where to stay and where to eat. AAA and all those other sites are crap. Just want a layed back weekend. House of Prime Rib.

uLtRADeNniS
11-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Our favorite place is the Hilton Union Square, walking distance to shopping and Cable Cars. Check out TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=60713&q=San+Francisco%2C+CA&inMonth=11/2007&inDay=9&outMonth=11/2007&outDay=11&adults=2)for feed back.
Thanks for the link! Some of those look great!
The Sheraton at Fishermans wharf just remodeled many of the rooms and is < $200. Make sure you ask for the remodeled units...also add your room tax, tax on the tax and your parking at 40 per day.
out in the union square dist and financial area as stated above...plan on +300 per night. Also as stated, watch out for the dumps, there are plenty that have little or no value...
have fun
We are just gonna fly so parking wont be an issue...I figure its about the same as fuel to drive and we get to spend more time doing what we want to do.
$200 a night sounds great!.. Does the hotel look like a construction zone right now or does it still look nice?
Scoma's used to be a great place to eat. At the Wharf
What kind of resturant id Scoma's?
I last stayed in the in the King George Hotel last time i was up there and I would go back. It's right on Union Square and I could walk to everything I needed to get to for a quiet weekend.
Thanks, Ill look into it!
4 eats...there are a ton of selections...what is your taste?
Fancy try Aqua...
if ya like good grub(hoffbrau style) and lots of beer selections...Tommy's Joint accross from Catheral Hill (old Jack Tar Hotel) on Van Ness.
Down by the fishermans wharf the Rain Forest is always a crowd pleaser
Alliotos has great clam chowder.
If you give us your taste, we can point you in the right direction.:D
Is the rain forest like the one that used to be in Ontairo Mills?
Im sure we would do sushi one night.. Any tips for that?

Cas
11-06-2007, 08:26 PM
House of Prime Rib.
exactly!

GoCiggie31
11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the link! Some of those look great!
$200 a night sounds great!.. Does the hotel look like a construction zone right now or does it still look nice?
Is the rain forest like the one that used to be in Ontairo Mills?
Im sure we would do sushi one night.. Any tips for that?
as of last week a bit of construction going on...but not bad. The front desks was very nice new and modern...they try to keep the construction equip hiding. just make sure you ask for a newly remodeled room-they are nice.
The place is just a block from deep fishermans wharf and a few blocks from Peir 39. I paid 175.00 weekday so double check if you are weekend shopping.
Have not been to the Ontairo Mills but it is a franchise dealio so it resemembles Disney downtown...
Sushi:
so many sushi joints and many hi quality...a couple i have had the pleasure of recently:
'Sushi on North Beach' (in the North Beach area a quaint italian district/villiage area)
Or Sushi Zone... Market street main drag
but there are many other ones as well.

thumbs
11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
What kind of resturant id Scoma's?
Great seafood near Pier 47.

uLtRADeNniS
11-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Great seafood near Pier 47.
Cool!
as of last week a bit of construction going on...but not bad. The front desks was very nice new and modern...they try to keep the construction equip hiding. just make sure you ask for a newly remodeled room-they are nice.
The place is just a block from deep fishermans wharf and a few blocks from Peir 39. I paid 175.00 weekday so double check if you are weekend shopping.
Have not been to the Ontairo Mills but it is a franchise dealio so it resemembles Disney downtown...
Sushi:
so many sushi joints and many hi quality...a couple i have had the pleasure of recently:
'Sushi on North Beach' (in the North Beach area a quaint italian district/villiage area)
Or Sushi Zone... Market street main drag
but there are many other ones as well.
Great I'll look into that place. Man I love ***boat! Its better than a travel agent!

Chubby4Life
11-06-2007, 10:33 PM
We've stayed at the Omni, sadly it was during the hotel workers strike a couple years ago. Nice place but the service sucked and the strikers in our faces got a little old.
As far as dining, I think I was told there were 3000+ resturants so I'm sure you guys will find something good. If you into it, take a tour, it's very informative and you see all the touristy stuff. Then take a trolly or cab back to where ever you want to spend more time at.

BajaMike
11-06-2007, 11:09 PM
The Fairmount is very nice....and you can walk down the hill to China town for some great Chinese food.....:idea:

caribbean20
11-06-2007, 11:58 PM
If you are still looking for lodging recommendations, I stayed at the Marriott Fishermans Wharf in July. Few blocks from Fishermans Wharf and cable car line, clean, convenient, and in the range of $$ you want to spend. Worked just fine for my son, dad and me. We did the same deal, just couple of days.

GoCiggie31
11-07-2007, 05:55 AM
If you into it, take a tour, it's very informative and you see all the touristy stuff. Then take a trolly or cab back to where ever you want to spend more time at.
excellent isuggestion...
book your tour early :D

Mr. Crusader 83
11-07-2007, 06:02 AM
I stayed at the Westin St. Francis. Beautiful hotel, right down town, close to cable car stops, the mall is right around the corner. Its right on union square.

UltraStealth
11-07-2007, 08:08 AM
I will be in San Mateo all next week. Anything fun to do there or do I need to go to SF?