PDA

View Full Version : Peterbuilt Tow Rig

Tyler&Emily
11-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Here is what I am looking to do, need some insight from the ***boat Community, Would like to take a Peterbuilt Long Nose Conventional, with the sleeper, mount a bench seat in the sleeper with side windows, and cut off the rear axle of the pair and mount a 2007 Ford F-350 pickup bed on it with tubbed rear fenders, what are your thoughts, not a high top sleeper but one level with the top of the cab. Need a vehicle that can tow a 32 foot boat, and thought this would be a cool ride, get away from the standard units on the road

curtis73
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
That would be SWEET. I can't really picture it, but I would think the pickup bed would be really small-looking sitting on the back of a PB.
Custom bed maybe? Or a superduty bed that is widened?

Tyler&Emily
11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
That sounds like a good idea, using a super duty bed, the only issue I am having is cutting the second axle off, will there need to be anything done else to the drive train other than capping brake lines and not using the jack shaft, I had an automotive designer draw me a few shots of it and it really doesn;t look that odd, if you use a standard height sleeper and not a hi deck, double bunk

Tyler&Emily
11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
That sounds like a good idea, using a super duty bed, the only issue I am having is cutting the second axle off, will there need to be anything done else to the drive train other than capping brake lines and not using the jack shaft, I had an automotive designer draw me a few shots of it and it really doesn;t look that odd, if you use a standard height sleeper and not a hi deck, double bunk

H2oracer
11-07-2007, 04:26 PM
You might be dissapointed with the ride without any weight on it. Also the fuel consumption might be in the 4 to 5 mpg range.

bgchuby01
11-08-2007, 03:53 AM
unless you can register it as a RV which you can't do unless it meets certain criteria you will be shown as commercial and need a cdl to pull your boat. Having owned a large truck company I thought of the same thing 10 years ago. Depending on your budget go to the link below and they will build you a truck that you can drive every day and still tow any boat. i use one for my boat transport business.
http://www.schwalbetrucks.com/
contact me if you are interested, I represent them in los angeles and drive one ever day as a driver.
contact me at jeffymurray@aol.com or call me at 909-816-1101

Hotfish
11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
You could find a truck with out a third axle but haven't seeh many of the 379 models without a third axle. the 335 would be easier to find but its prob. not the look that your going for.

HighRoller
11-10-2007, 12:50 PM
It sounds cool, but in reality it won't be practical. It will definitely ride like crap with a single screw if it's meant to have two axles which means whoever is riding in back without an air ride seat will get hammered constantly. Next, I hope you will only be visiting launch ramps that offer you 100-150 feet to turn around in because long nose Petes are not well known for their maneuverability. Forget about ever stopping for fuel at anything but a truck stop because with a boat trailer it will take you a mile to change directions.
IMO, save yourself the trouble and get a toterhome. You can get a relatively short wheelbase model that still has a full lounge area in back that will be much more comfy than a ghetto bench cobbled into a flat top sleeper. Not trying to be harsh, just trying to save you some disappointment.

BIGRRNU
11-10-2007, 07:10 PM
You really cant cut the third axle off,you would have to take the third axle and put it where the second axle would be.the second axle has a power divider built into it and it would have to be engaged to work,and they are not made to run down the road engaged,only for dirt,ice,wet roads.And the rear diff is only rated at 20k which if you add in the steer axle would give you a gvw of 32k about the same as a mid range truck,but more HP but less MPG.I have seen F-650s with 1k of steel bolted under the frame to get them to ride better.I own a business that all we do is rebuild semi transmission and diffs

Tyler&Emily
11-11-2007, 03:27 AM
I understand with you in regards to the thrid axle and yes would have to move it forward. In regards to prior posts, I will be towing a low fo weight with my 34 cruiser so the ride shouldn't be to bad, I do have a ton of room at the ramp to the water, so again no problem, I assumed that it would stay commercial and have to fill up at the local truck stop, all good posts and I appriciate it. The only issue I would have at this point is the seats in the back I could get two air ride seats and that would fix the problem usually it is just me and the kids and the girlfriend, so four seats would be plenty, but what a look you would get with it, its the cool factor

SuperWrench0166
11-11-2007, 01:06 PM
You cant just move the axles around. You would have to get a single axle set up for it to work. Easy to come up with plenty in the wrecking yards. Go with a full air ride give much better ride quality. You watch ebay you can get most everything you could want. You sure wouldnt have a problem not having enough power. its very doable.

MR.rvrluvr
11-12-2007, 06:08 PM
it is Peterbilt.....not Peterbuilt

DAVID
11-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Take a look and see if this works for you. 2000 3126A w/ 21k miles. Inside is pimp!

XtrmWakeborder
11-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Take a look and see if this works for you. 2000 3126A w/ 21k miles. Inside is pimp!
That thing looks sick!

DAVID
11-19-2007, 11:01 AM
That thing looks sick!
I just pulled all the stickers of it. Now it's all white with everthing polished.
It's so nice wish I could use it for a commuter!

BOBALOO
11-19-2007, 02:52 PM
There are some guys on Glamis Dunes forums that have done what you want to do. I believe you need 5 gal of water, a microwave, sleeping area, to be converted to an rv. Guys were buying and converting the rig for about 35k on the low side.
Air ride and air seat was high on the list of necessities.

Warlockjer
12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I had a KW T2000 and towed my 5th wheel with it. I registured in Montana with no problem as a motor coach. Very inexpensive. I do have to say that Calif. isnt real receptive to it, but with a LLC it is all legal. Good luck

jackpunx
12-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Are you selling?
how much?

DAVID
12-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Are you selling?
how much?
I will sell it. We are into it about $150k. I'm asking $80k. I can give you picks and more details. We won't even leave it outside it's so nice.

jackpunx
12-02-2007, 08:57 AM
I will sell it. We are into it about $150k. I'm asking $80k. I can give you picks and more details. We won't even leave it outside it's so nice.
very nice.. I work in studio transp.. Someone was asking me about something like this.. I'll let him know:)

DAVID
12-02-2007, 09:53 AM
very nice.. I work in studio transp.. Someone was asking me about something like this.. I'll let him know:)
Thanks. I'll post some fresh pics on Monday.