BDMar
11-08-2007, 08:04 AM
I need to hire one mechanic ASAP!
Thanks
626-443-3721
Brian

Kachina26
11-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I've seen some of the "high end" shops out there are using folks that are willing to do "work that Americans won't do", perhaps you should check out Home Depot. If the Railroad gets any slower, I may have to roll my toolbox out again.:idea:

BDMar
11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I've seen some of the "high end" shops out there are using folks that are willing to do "work that Americans won't do", perhaps you should check out Home Depot. If the Railroad gets any slower, I may have to roll my toolbox out again.:idea:
Wow, not sure how to respond to this. This 'high end" shop is not looking for that kind of help. I guess I can thank you for bumping it to the top though...

Baja Big Dog
11-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Good fricken luck, Im looking for mechanics 24 seven to work on diesels, most guys are afraid of them, until they work on a few...
We have NO help coming through the work force, the world of auto mechanic/ gearheads are gone, how many schools teach auto shot these days? I grew up in Hacienda Heights, we had auto shop wars between schools, now, none...nada...zilch...the only help is through the tech schools, and most of the green techs are being scooped up by the big guys...

BDMar
11-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Good fricken luck, Im looking for mechanics 24 seven to work on diesels, most guys are afraid of them, until they work on a few...
We have NO help coming through the work force, the world of auto mechanic/ gearheads are gone, how many schools teach auto shot these days? I grew up in Hacienda Heights, we had auto shop wars between schools, now, none...nada...zilch...the only help is through the tech schools, and most of the green techs are being scooped up by the big guys...
That's the truth! The calls I get from the "techs" are amazing. "how old are you ?"......."22".... "Where have you worked?"...."I haven't had a job yet, but I work on my own car".... "What do you do on your car?".... "You know, change oil and stuff"... "Thank you for calling"

SOCALDETAIL1
11-08-2007, 04:54 PM
That my friend is why I still have to work. Try hiring detailers huh you get these hacks from the carwash or the kids that detail their moms car on the weekend and think they are qualified. My opening line is you know how to operate a 1800 rpm buffer? Ok then lets go buff out YOUR car! All of a sudden the story changes. I worked for GM training detailers out of like 90 apps. I hired one guy, that guy now works for me :D

Nucking futs
11-08-2007, 05:23 PM
What are you looking for ? Marine mechanic,riggers or all of the above?

BDMar
11-09-2007, 08:37 AM
All of the above

Lana
11-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Tim, are you looking for a new job?:idea:

Kachina26
11-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Diesels are one reason I got out of the biz. I had no desire to work on some stinky smudge pot! I did electrical and driveability work, once the diesels got electronic injection systems, they started pulling them into my stall. That got old real quick. Then they started getting rid of my maintenance items and extending warranties out to 100k miles....... That was it for me!
Good luck to ya BD.

OGShocker
11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Bump!!!

MikeF
11-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Most techs (including myself) are not paid enough money to really be able to afford a really good life, own a house and raise a happy family. Right along the lines of the American Dream.
I am not unhappy, but there are things in my life that I want but are out of reach because of the amount of money I make.
Managers don't want to spend the $$$$ to get and keep the right people....and when I see the amount of money they are making and the effort they put into their job....just gets me more upset.
Why would anyone want to be a tech when they can just talk someone out of money instead of actually performing work and making it right.
Your ex mechanic was either a dumbass and you fired him....or he was not making enough money and he left.
Technician <<<<<<< less dumb these days.

BadKachina
11-10-2007, 06:57 AM
That's the truth! The calls I get from the "techs" are amazing. "how old are you ?"......."22".... "Where have you worked?"...."I haven't had a job yet, but I work on my own car".... "What do you do on your car?".... "You know, change oil and stuff"... "Thank you for calling"
Living in Phx you can ususally hire UTI kids that are in school, plus you get a tax break for doing too. Most of them are just kids that don't kow anything anyways, but I've been lucky with the one I have on now. He was former military car pool guy, so he's a little bit older, experienced and he's a little more mature. Too bad he's done in Jan. I've got to get a new one and train him all over...........:rolleyes:

Nucking futs
11-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Tim, are you looking for a new job?:idea:
Maybe a second job so I can buy you something pretty.....:D

Moneypitt
11-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Diesels are one reason I got out of the biz. I had no desire to work on some stinky smudge pot! I did electrical and driveability work, once the diesels got electronic injection systems, they started pulling them into my stall. That got old real quick. Then they started getting rid of my maintenance items and extending warranties out to 100k miles....... That was it for me!
Good luck to ya BD.
You want stinky? How about working in the bildge with week old DEAD FISH in the summer heat......Now that is stinky.......Hourly rate was doubled, but it was still stinky...........MP

BadKachina
11-10-2007, 03:35 PM
You want stinky? How about working in the bildge with week old DEAD FISH in the summer heat......Now that is stinky.......Hourly rate was doubled, but it was still stinky...........MP
Nothing better than working on a cabin cruiser with full shit tanks in the summer.:rolleyes:

IMPATIENT 1
11-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Good luck to ya BD.
i do the same work you did. i'm the shop foreman, electrical, deisel, driveabilty guy nowadays:mad: when the warranties went to 100k this past yr on gm's, i started looking for my own place. should be opening a decent tire/wheel lite duty shop around feb1:D i'm done, i do more damn paper work these days to get paid for warranty and it takes more time and stress than doin the damn wrench turnin:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: i'm done being mr.goodwrench;)

IMPATIENT 1
11-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Most techs (including myself) are not paid enough money to really be able to afford a really good life, own a house and raise a happy family. Right along the lines of the American Dream.
I am not unhappy, but there are things in my life that I want but are out of reach because of the amount of money I make.
Managers don't want to spend the $$$$ to get and keep the right people....and when I see the amount of money they are making and the effort they put into their job....just gets me more upset.
Why would anyone want to be a tech when they can just talk someone out of money instead of actually performing work and making it right.
Your ex mechanic was either a dumbass and you fired him....or he was not making enough money and he left.
well put! i've been doin it for the last 14yrs and its just not worth the headache anymore. the money is good here in okla. for techs since there's only so many good techs in 1 area, but its nowhere near what i know i can make being the owner;) days of good techs are over in my area, when i leave my dealership, it won't be able to do warranty work due to lack of a certified tech.

mike37
11-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I need to hire one mechanic ASAP!
Thanks
626-443-3721
Brian
would you help pay to relocate my kid needs a good new job
but you are a long way from paso robles

topless
11-10-2007, 05:55 PM
We have NO help coming through the work force, the world of auto mechanic/ gearheads are gone, how many schools teach auto shot these days? I grew up in Hacienda Heights, we had auto shop wars between schools, now, none...nada...zilch...the only help is through the tech schools, and most of the green techs are being scooped up by the big guys...I know an out of work mechanis. Don't know how good he is or even if he is good but I bet he needs a job and isn't into living the american dream since he is living with his parents.

Kachina26
11-10-2007, 11:43 PM
i do the same work you did. i'm the shop foreman, electrical, deisel, driveabilty guy nowadays:mad: when the warranties went to 100k this past yr on gm's, i started looking for my own place. should be opening a decent tire/wheel lite duty shop around feb1:D i'm done, i do more damn paper work these days to get paid for warranty and it takes more time and stress than doin the damn wrench turnin:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: i'm done being mr.goodwrench;)
I miss the challenges of diagnostics, but I don't miss chasing a flag sheet! I just did a heater core on an s-10 (you know, pull the whole dash), and kinda had fun with it. I miss what I did but I don't miss the business. The gig that Brian has to offer was always kind of a dream job for me. I hope he gets the help he's looking for.

IMPATIENT 1
11-10-2007, 11:57 PM
I miss the challenges of diagnostics, but I don't miss chasing a flag sheet! I just did a heater core on an s-10 (you know, pull the whole dash), and kinda had fun with it. I miss what I did but I don't miss the business. The gig that Brian has to offer was always kind of a dream job for me. I hope he gets the help he's looking for.
i feel ya, i'd love to do something i liked again for a paycheck. commission work makes it more about money and hurry up with the quality, i don't like that train of thought.don't get me wrong, i like money:D but in a dealership there's to much paperwork standing between me and the money:D :D :D i'm a gearhead, not a secretary:mad:
good luck finding a guy, call around the auto dealerships, there's always a overworked, underpaid master tech lookin for a better way to make his $$$ closer to home or with less stress involved.

BDMar
11-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for bringing your complaints to a simple help wanted thread. You don't know me or anything about my business, yet you make a statement about why I am looking for another employee. Neither are true, but thanks for posting your speculation as fact.
The fact is that we are very busy and need more help. You obviously are unhappy or you wouldn't have posted this. Read your post. There is only one person in charge of your earning power... you. If you think you are worth more money, go get it. Earn more for the business you work for, if you are not compensated for it, go get another job. Or better yet, start your own business, sounds like you have that part all figured out. After all, we owners don't really work, we just "talk people out of their money" and then let you, you know... the guy getting paid to work.... do the work. What a silly concept.
It's Sunday, guess where I am. Not at home where I'd like to be. When was the last time you worked Sunday or lay awake in bed at 3:00 AM planning out your day or wondering how you were going to pay the overhead because the next two days would be pulling out an engine that was just installed and "ready to leave". Now it has to come out because a "tech" was thinking about how he should be paid more instead of concentrating on his job. It has happened, fortunately that is not the case today because I actually do work and keep a close eye on everything being done in my shop. I don't "talk people out of their money", we do our job. That is how it works, we perform a service and get paid for it, just like you.
I don’t know you and you may have a good point from your employment history, however this is your history not mine.
One other possibility of why an employee might not be with an employer anymore...... He did not possess the skills, drive, or desire to better himself which makes him more valuable as an employee and worth more money.
Enjoy your weekend.:)

OGShocker
11-11-2007, 11:02 AM
would you help pay to relocate my kid needs a good new job
but you are a long way from paso robles
Brian, I could chip in for a ticket on the Greyhound...:D

mike37
11-12-2007, 06:56 PM
any luck yet

atomickitn
11-13-2007, 10:32 AM
bump .....I remember a very short time when it was slow....and now look at you very cool to see you busy...prob more busy than expected....kudos B ....I hope you find someone that has the same desire and dedication that you and D have for your business, and the devotion to the people who you serve....thanks for all the excellent work you have done in the past for me personally and Dana boats....good luck in your search. that person is out there..hang in there, if you can pry me away from everything else i am doing and need help let me know as would be glad to help any time that I can.:)

PHOTOGLOU
11-13-2007, 01:24 PM
ttt.... I need my boat worked on and Brian says HE is too BUSY.... I need him to have more time.....

OGShocker
11-13-2007, 01:40 PM
ttt.... I need my boat worked on and Brian says HE is too BUSY.... I need him to have more time.....
He is on his way over to pick me up. He called me an hour ago to ask if I wanted to go for a Fountain ride.:D Your the best, Jay!

atomickitn
11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
soo does this mean I need to come down and get dirty for you and help him out ?:D

OGShocker
11-13-2007, 01:47 PM
soo does this mean I need to come down and get dirty for you and help him out ?:D
Once we put the B&D Stickers back on it we will need some help..:D

PHOTOGLOU
11-13-2007, 09:44 PM
:D

PHOTOGLOU
11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Once we put the B&D Stickers back on it we will need some help..:D
I really hope Brian and B & D get the helpers they need... So I can run the stickers again:D Now about my truck I need worked on???

OGShocker
11-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I really hope Brian and B & D get the helpers they need... So I can run the stickers again:D Now about my truck I need worked on?
You have a F.O.R.D.???
:D