PDA

View Full Version : Are Poker Runs really that much fun???

new2cats
11-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Went to the Howard regatta (with our 28 Bullet) a few years back...did the inevitable poker run.....it was a bit boring! Are the well organized runs fun and if so why....just looking to find a niche activity to do with my 14 year old son and his cousin.....new DCB F-29 will be the rig.
Thx

slowinhavasu
11-08-2007, 04:44 PM
The before and after parties are the best, meeting new people , hanging out on a lake you have never been on, would be fun....:D

DeltaSigBoater
11-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Never been in a Poker Run, but it is on the list of things to do with the new boat.
I better get off ***boat and go back to work so I can afford a new boat... this waiting to win the lottery thing isn't going as I planned :D

boatsntoys
11-08-2007, 05:07 PM
I have been to a few "regattas" poker runs at Havasu with my friend and his boat. They are pretty boring, not to mention on a time table. Meet at the cove 10:00, phot0shoot 11:00, Lunch 12=1:30, Poker run 2 to 3:00 Banquet 7 to 9. I like doing at the river whatever I want to do when I want to do it. THe strict time table reminds me of work. I know it's the only way to control a big group, so we don't go anymore.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-08-2007, 05:09 PM
You don't need to stick the the schedule. If you do not make it to all of the stops you can collect the rest of your cards right before you turn them in.....

AZJD
11-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Went to the Howard regatta (with our 28 Bullet) a few years back...did the inevitable poker run.....it was a bit boring! Are the well organized runs fun and if so why....just looking to find a niche activity to do with my 14 year old son and his cousin.....new DCB F-29 will be the rig.
Thx
You want your son to love you forever? Take him to the sandbar and cut him loose.

new2cats
11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I have been to a few "regattas" poker runs at Havasu with my friend and his boat. They are pretty boring, not to mention on a time table. Meet at the cove 10:00, phot0shoot 11:00, Lunch 12=1:30, Poker run 2 to 3:00 Banquet 7 to 9. I like doing at the river whatever I want to do when I want to do it. THe strict time table reminds me of work. I know it's the only way to control a big group, so we don't go anymore.
This is pretty much how I felt about it.....also....some who have very little "close-range" boat experience, wanted it to be a race.....I am hoping that the more seasoned dudes with big-a$$ boats and East Coast hardware are more carfeul....DOUBT IT!!!!

new2cats
11-08-2007, 05:30 PM
You want your son to love you forever? Take him to the sandbar and cut him loose.
Been doing this since he was 10.....always watch him like a hawk but let him, his cousin and buddies cruise the scene. I usually lay low about 200' back to swoop in if fights break out or other crazy-danger!!
Saw a really unfortunate race related fight at the sandbar once...saddened my whole Family..some skinhead dude picking on the only black guy at the sandbar (something about him having a hot, REALLY white chick on his arm) ......got ugly fast with the final result being the skinhead was thrown onto his crappy nazi-rig and pushed into the current sans engines running......500 white dudes came to the support of the one dark dude....started off crappy, ended in a good lesson for my kids.
Off subject, I know, but......

ClownRoyal
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
More like the Reed bar. Went by there a couple of weeks ago. Reeds are about 4-6' high and almost cover the entire what was once the Sand bar.

spectras only
11-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Any activity gets boring after ten years , just get on with it !
My son still likes to go , but he mentioned that next time just want to hang
around without registering . I think he's sending the message that it's
getting boring hanging around after the run :idea:

C-2
11-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Well ya just knew I had to chime in.....
Desert Storm will be a WEEKEND full of fun this year. Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We are adding 3 NEW EVENTS to the schedule…all new to Havasu, so ya don’t wanna miss it.
If anything, put the weekend on your schedule, check it out and then think about doing the run the following year. If you stay in a hotel – book the weekend now. :)

ClownRoyal
11-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Well ya just knew I had to chime in.....
Desert Storm will be a WEEKEND full of fun this year. Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We are adding 3 NEW EVENTS to the schedule…all new to Havasu, so ya don’t wanna miss it.
If anything, put the weekend on your schedule, check it out and then think about doing the run the following year. If you stay in a hotel – book the weekend now. :)
Sounds great! Looking forward to it.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-08-2007, 05:55 PM
If the prizes are great, and a party is included in the payouts and prize awards,,, it can be good.

new2cats
11-08-2007, 06:13 PM
When is the Powellfest???? Really want to do more trips there.

riverroyal
11-08-2007, 06:16 PM
is fun to watch!

Jbb
11-08-2007, 06:18 PM
I have had fun at every poker run I have been to....

new2cats
11-08-2007, 06:21 PM
I am looking for a poke-her-n-run...NOT POKER RUN. I have a great new drag costume to try out!!!! J/K take it easy......

BadKachina
11-08-2007, 06:54 PM
For me the Desert Storm deal starts off the whole season. I usually have a good time hanging with all my friends that I don't usually see most of the winter. It's the one event that I look foward to pretty much all winter long. Plus DS has all the bitchen high dollar boats that you won't see anywhere else. It's just one of those must see deals.

new2cats
11-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Sounds killer...I see the pix in HB mag. every year...plus, Spring is the best weather in Havi!