PDA

View Full Version : The fishing report

Wicky
11-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, I had a great time but, the tuna bite wasn't happening. In fact, this was the first long range trip I've ever been on and not caught a single tuna.
Past trips I've caught over 1000 lbs in as little as 5 days. Anyway, I did however, catch 18 striped marlin in two days, limited out on the yellowtail, caught a few nice bull dorado, and topped it off with a few wahoo aka skinnys.
Here is a pick of my dad and myself holding a pair of nice yellowtail.http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3848Big_Yellars____-med.jpgI baited my fish on a fat mackerel with a 6/0 mustad j hook using 50lb XXX Izorline tied to a shimano TLD 2spd 30 backed with 130lb Spectra. I made a mistake on the picture description of the rod I was using. I just realized I caught this fatty on a Calstar WC 655 XH-RS/RT. Next time, I hope to be using the Super Seeker like my dad was using in the pic.
Planning a 14 day trip next year. It would be nice to see some other hardcore ***boaters/fisherman on the trip to bench race when we aren't at the fishing grounds.
Mow,
Wicky

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
11-12-2007, 10:33 AM
We go out of sd every aug. This year got limits of albacore tune. The roast's filled 2 130qt ice chest and we split 1 bag of ice between the two coolers. The pacific dawn is always a bunch of fun.
BIG JOE SSMF

Wicky
11-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Sounds like you guys had a blast. Love them albacore!!:D

Phat Matt
11-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Sounds like you guys had a blast. Love them albacore!!:D
This is from my trip last August.
http://a456.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/95/l_7d2d7492d39c9861f14b689e0a159c67.jpg

Wicky
11-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Saweeet longfin!! I flew down for a day in Aug. to fish on the top gun and got zipped on the albacore too. I did however, catch one of the three yellowtail to win the jackpot! Gotta love fresh sashimi.
Aint nothing like smoked albacore from fishermans either!!:D

Schiada76
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Nice YT!!
Waht boat is that? I nailed a 50#yt on the American Angler a few years ago, those sumbitches pull!:D

Wicky
11-12-2007, 11:19 AM
It was on the Red Rooster. That yellow was good for 2nd place in the pot.

Cigalert
11-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, I had a great time but, the tuna bite wasn't happening. In fact, this was the first long range trip I've ever been on and not caught a single tuna.
Past trips I've caught over 1000 lbs in as little as 5 days. Anyway, I did however, catch 18 striped marlin in two days, limited out on the yellowtail, caught a few nice bull dorado, and topped it off with a few wahoo aka skinnys.
Here is a pick of my dad and myself holding a pair of nice yellowtail.http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3848Big_Yellars____-med.jpgI baited my fish on a fat mackerel with a 6/0 mustad j hook using 50lb XXX Izorline tied to a shimano TLD 2spd 30 backed with 130lb Spectra. I made a mistake on the picture description of the rod I was using. I just realized I caught this fatty on a Calstar WC 655 XH-RS/RT. Next time, I hope to be using the Super Seeker like my dad was using in the pic.
Planning a 14 day trip next year. It would be nice to see some other hardcore ***boaters/fisherman on the trip to bench race when we aren't at the fishing grounds.
Mow,
Wicky
Nice tails. That would suck going long range and getting the goose on tuna. You got a pic of the wahoo?
FYI, if you want that TLD to last remove the spectra. I've seen the whole housing remove itself from the rod while using spectra. Also, the spools, drag and reel housing gets jacked when using spectra. Did I mention I used to work for Shimano fishing?

riverliver
11-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Did you get the YT at Cedros ?

DeltaSigBoater
11-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Nice Fish!
Didn't get one day of fishing in this season :mad:
And the way fuel prices are looking I doubt I'll get any fishing in next season too!

Tom Brown
11-12-2007, 02:00 PM
That's a lot of sushi. :cool:
Great picture, Wicky. You guys look to be having a seriously good time. :)

Wicky
11-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Nice tails. That would suck going long range and getting the goose on tuna. You got a pic of the wahoo?
FYI, if you want that TLD to last remove the spectra. I've seen the whole housing remove itself from the rod while using spectra. Also, the spools, drag and reel housing gets jacked when using spectra. Did I mention I used to work for Shimano fishing?
It's an anodized spool. We remove the spectra every season and haven't had any issues yet. Hopefully won't have any in the future. My dad has converted entirely to Avet now. I get his hand me downs which = shimano. Try this link for a shot of one of my hoos from the last trip on the Excel. It went 55lbs. Caught it on straight mono on a TLD Star 20/40.
http://b1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00356/16/85/356695861_m.jpg
Thanks,
Wicky

Wicky
11-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Did you get the YT at Cedros ?
Hey RL!!
Yes, got that fatty YT at Cedros. I've caught some fatties at the rocks and the ridge before but, it seems Cedros consistently holds the fatties.