PDA

View Full Version : Improving California's image in Havasu...

DUSTINU
11-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Below is a story they wrote about me in "Today's news Herald". Kinda cool:
Shelter dog finds new home in Orange County
By DIANA PARKER
Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:58 PM MST
California visitors sometimes get a bad rap locally, the popular notion being that too many of them “come on vacation and leave on probation.”
But when Dustin Bianchi headed home to Orange County after a recent visit to Lake Havasu City, instead of a citation and a pending court date, he took along a big, curly black dog he found in the shelter at the Western Arizona Humane Society.
Bianchi had been searching for months on Petfinder.com for a dog to replace his father, BobÂ’s, standard poodle, which died of cancer. Whenever Dustin found a suitable candidate, he was told the shelter had certain requirements he couldnÂ’t meet.
After returning home from a vacation in Lake Havasu City this past month, Bianchi widened his Petfinder search profile to include this area. ThatÂ’s when he found Kermit.
Bianchi called the Western Arizona Humane Society to make sure the 10-month-old Labradoodle was still available, then packed a bag and drove the 300 miles back to Lake Havasu City.
“I got there at about 6 o’clock and the shelter closes at 5,” Bianchi said. “I was there first thing in the morning, and they were kind of shocked. They said, ‘You must be Dustin. �- You’re the one that drove all the way from California to adopt Kermit.’ And I said, ‘That’s right.’ And they said, ‘That’s amazing.’”
Kermit was found wandering loose in Desert Hills, Bianchi said.
“No one ever came to claim him,” he said.
Victoria Cowper said KermitÂ’s large size made it a challenge to find an adoptive home. Kermit had been at the shelter about six weeks when Bianchi called.
“They were very helpful there. They gave (Kermit) a bath before I took him home. He was really happy to see everyone when he came out from the kennels. He wasn’t that interested in me, but I could tell he was really happy there,” Bianchi said. “When I took him, he was like, ‘Hey, why am I leaving my friends?’”
Bianchi said Kermit warmed up to him on the drive home, riding the whole way with his head on BianchiÂ’s armrest.
Dustin and Bob Bianchi �” who founded the family business, Eruston Corp., which manufactures printed circuit boards �” have slowly transitioned Kermit to a new name, Bear. Dustin described Bear as loving and affectionate and good with his two canine “sisters.”
“He comes to work with us every day. He’s kind of the company mascot,” Dustin said.
You may contact the reporter at dparker@havasunews.com.

Warlockjer
11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Congrats and it is kind of cool,:) but IT will take alot more than that to clean up Californians images in Havasu. Especially the Fu$#ing smokers that leave their cigarette butts and trash all over the channel:mad: !!!!!!!

Lightning
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Congrats and it is kind of cool,:) but IT will take alot more than that to clean up Californians images in Havasu. Especially the Fu$#ing smokers that leave their cigarette butts and trash all over the channel:mad: !!!!!!!
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/8/8c/Racheldratchdebbie.jpg

Outnumbered
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Only Cali peeps smoke?:rolleyes:
I don't know what the deal is here in AZ but after moving here from Cali I see a lot less respect for the desert than I did in Cali. People just go out in the desert and dump their trash, shoot up all their shit and leave it, etc. I don't know how many times I have been sitting at an intersection in a nice part of town and I see a window go down and a bag of fast food go out to the curb:mad:
This all just could be a timing thing, a coincidence. I think it may be just a general lack of respect for other people that is more of a sign of the times than a geographic thing. I have never seen the river lakes so trashed in my 25 years of boating there than the past season. It was by far the worst.
Don't be so quick to bash the Cali folks:)

DUSTINU
11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I COMPLETELY agree! Yeah, I just thought it was kinda cool how she started the article.

Outnumbered
11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/8/8c/Racheldratchdebbie.jpg
Debbie Downer:D I guess I fell into the thread-jack trap. Sorry.
Good Job Dustin, that was a great story:)

DUSTINU
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah not only CA folks, but we take the wrap for it.:mad:

Classic Daycruiser
11-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Do we have a picture of Bear?

djunkie
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Cool article and good job on adopting the dog and bringing him into what seems a loving home.

DUSTINU
11-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Do we have a picture of Bear?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMG_0106.jpg
He is a really shiny dark black, the discoloration is from the flash. We think he might actually be a Irish wolfhound poodle mix. His paws are huge and he is only about 11 months. I have a Great Dane, so we are accustomed to big dogs. :D

Baja Big Dog
11-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Thats is the coolest dog....did you know what it looked like before you adopted it?:D
I wont even jack this thread with my thoughts on the Cali Hatin bull shit in Havasu!!!

andy01
11-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Who cares about Havasu peps hatin Cali peps. Some people have nothing better to do then bitch about something that doesn't really matter. Don't like it? Don't go!
Great job on the rescue, that is cool. Always good to hear about a good pet going to a good home.
Andy

new2cats
11-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Bitchin' dog....he scored a new Family...very cool.
Just curious, anyone have an educated guess how much $$$$ California residents pour into Havi each year???? I would think that it is in the 10's of millions!!???
A public accounting of this may shut the desert rats up and make them post the welcome banners for us!!!???
I can see the headline:
CALIFORNIANS SPENT $86.5 MILLION IN HAVASU LAST YEAR.....NOW SHUT YOUR DUSTY PIE-HOLES!!

shadow
11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Just curious, anyone have an educated guess how much $$$$ California residents pour into Havi each year???? I would think that it is in the 10's of millions!!???
A public accounting of this may shut the desert rats up and make them post the welcome banners for us!!!???
I can see the headline:
CALIFORNIANS SPENT $86.5 MILLION IN HAVASU LAST YEAR.....NOW SHUT YOUR DUSTY PIE-HOLES!!
Easy there killer right now is one of the nicest times of year out here without having the 10's of millions.;)
Now most we have is Millions of $$$$ Repos and forclosures all over town all the high rollers couldn't manage to hang onto.
Dustin congrats on the new family member!!
We recently got a dog and i am amazed at how fast they can work thier way into your heart.

new2cats
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I hear ya! I have never felt any hostility from Havasu locals..just making an obvious commentary about $$$ that gets poured into a vacation town!
I assume most Havasu residents are from someplace else.....a vast majority may be from Cali.
We dig LHC and would love to move there when the time is right.
Wanna come to our annual Halloween party!!!!????-:eek:

westair
11-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I can see the headline:
This is the part the city council forgets, without Cali residents, LHC would be a ghost town, even most locals are from Cali. Sure this is the time of year most locals love but ask the business owners how they like it.

Kilrtoy
11-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Sure this is the time of year most locals love but ask the business owners how they like it.
Starving:eek:

squirt'nmyload
11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
This is the part the city council forgets, without Cali residents, LHC would be a ghost town, even most locals are from Cali. Sure this is the time of year most locals love but ask the business owners how they like it.
popcorn here

3 daytona`s
11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Yeah not only CA folks, but we take the wrap for it.:mad:
I feel it does not matter what State we plug in here,but when you come into someone elses state/home no matter how much money and material things you may have,you best do as the "ROMANS" do. I have been a resident of Arizona now for over two years and enjoy it,I guess if things are not to your liking stay home where ever that may be. I am not trying to pick a deal here as have met many great California People,but on the other hand have met some real jerks with the attitude if it were not for us Lake Havasu would die. I must say it is rather sad when the object is to come to Havasu to relax and have fun hang out meet new friends. :idea:

shueman
11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Havasu needs to work on their own image first...:idea: