PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Pearl

Lightning
11-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Anyone get the new Blackberry Pearl? Verizon just started offering this phone. I picked one up and have been very pleased with it. I have a paperweight that fashioned after a Palm Treo 700p if anyone is interested.

BarryMac
11-12-2007, 12:49 PM
How much for the Pearl? I've been contemplating upgrading my phone... :idea:

Froggystyle
11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I was actually looking at the Pearl and the Curve before I got my BB 8830 world edition deal.
How do you like it so far? Did you compare it to the 8830?
(I can still return mine...)

Lightning
11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I was actually looking at the Pearl and the Curve before I got my BB 8830 world edition deal.
I have zero complaints about it. The keyboard functionality takes a little getting used to, but I have it wired after messing with it for a few days. It's way smaller and lighter AND it has a camera with normal messaging funtions (no need to download pic messages). I was able to hook it up to Outlook via a Blackberry Enterprise server (there is an individual version that costs zero) for wireless sync of everything in Oulook, not just email. I recommend you trade yours in. Also, i think it even costs less.

Lightning
11-12-2007, 02:10 PM
How much for the Pearl? I've been contemplating upgrading my phone... :idea:
With all the rebates and mail-in's etc... it cost me $100. My plan is through Verizon.

SOCALDETAIL1
11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I have Verizons XV6700 pda. I liked it at the beginning but I have to re-boot it everyday. Once my contract is up in June im switching to the iphone, I have always been a mac geek, in fact this pda is the first pc I have ever owned.

Boozer
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
The Pearl and the Curve are both great devices.
The ONLY time I ever sell the 8820 (AT&T's version of the 8830) over a Pearl or Curve is because the person purchasing it often enters facilities that don't permit camera phones inside.
The Curve and Pearl have the same functionality as well as a camera on them and cost less then the 8800 series Blackberries.
Personally I like the Curve, after using a full Qwerty keyboard on Blackberries for so many years I can't adjust to the suretype keyboard that the Pearl has on it. I'm not sure if Verizon is carrying them yet or not but the new Curves I carry have integrated GPS in them. The Pearl is GPS capable but you have to purchase additional hardware to make the GPS function.
If you can live without the integrated GPS, and don't mind the sure type keyboard then the Pearl is definitely a great device.

core attitude
11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm on my second one and have zero complaints other then the first one didn't take a 3FT drop very well. :hammer2: I paid full price for the second one and would do it again, it's a great little phone.

Steamin' Rice
11-13-2007, 11:19 AM
How do you like the 8830? I've got one on the way..

Froggystyle
11-13-2007, 11:39 AM
How do you like the 8830? I've got one on the way..
So far, I love it. The twp things I wish it did was get MMS pics better (you need to go on Verizon's website to do it) and have Flash capabilities on the internet. My own website is a blank white page on a BB. It also means I can't go on my bank's website or anything like that.
Otherwise, and in spite of this, it is by far the best phone I have ever owned. It doesn't have a camera on it, but with the USB cable I can get stuff right from my camera and e-mail it with much better resolution anyway.
The really cool thing is that it acts as a "tethered modem" for my laptop. No more wireless cards (Just saved $70/month for that off my bill). You just plug in the USB to your laptop and it uses that for broadband. One less phone number, one less piece of gear and you can place it further from your computer for reception... it also charges while on the cord.