PDA

View Full Version : Full hydraulic or hydraulic assist?

ClimbToFL350
11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I need to put hydraulic steering on my boat. It should run in the high 80s after I drop in my motor. It is a 21 foot hallett vector. Should I just put on dual rams to assist the stock steering or just go for the full hydraulic dual ram setup??
Are there any deals out there for the parts?

HPBoats83
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm deffinately not an expert here but I would say that you should be just fine with the hydraulic assist. The boat is only 21' so you wouldn't be in the ocean flying it or anything and you would only be going 80. If you could do (afford) the fully hydraulic, why not. Can't be to safe. Like I said I'm no expert but I think you should be more then fine with a single ram assist.

RT21
11-12-2007, 09:42 PM
80 is pretty damn fast. Especially in a 21 ft. boat. I would say dual ram full hydraulic is a must. But, this might only apply if you care about your friends and family that will be in your boat.

HemiDude
11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Disk brakes for something this light and powerful...:hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

LHC30Victory
11-12-2007, 09:45 PM
with hyd assist you still have a cable, and although 21ft isnt that long, there will still be play in the steering. Go full hydraulic!

burtandnancy2
11-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Since you are so close, run over to GT Performance and order a full hydraulic system by IMCO. Its a good time of year to get this kind of work done. They have done a lot of ski race boats and really know what they are doing...

DeltaSigBoater
11-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Since you are so close, run over to GT Performance and order a full hydraulic system by IMCO. Its a good time of year to get this kind of work done. They have done a lot of ski race boats and really know what they are doing...
We've been taking our boat to GT Performance since '89. I highly recommend them!

socaldieselkrew
11-12-2007, 11:31 PM
The 21 vector is a pretty low profile boat. Are you going to run any swim steps??? My buddy has the same boat i believe and his issue was not being able to pull the drive up from the rams not clearing the swim step, Imco makes a bad assed setup for about $4500 for dual ram full hydraulic steering where the rams bolt to a new gimble on the drive keeping them close in and clearing his thru transom exhaust and step.

C-2
11-12-2007, 11:43 PM
The 21 vector is a pretty low profile boat. Are you going to run any swim steps??? My buddy has the same boat i believe and his issue was not being able to pull the drive up from the rams not clearing the swim step, Imco makes a bad assed setup for about $4500 for dual ram full hydraulic steering where the rams bolt to a new gimble on the drive keeping them close in and clearing his thru transom exhaust and step.
I have a 21' 210 and that is also my concern. That and the big ass Marine Machine rams I have, which really don't look too user friendly no matter how I slice it, not enough room to work with. Check for exhaust clearance too, that's amlost another deal killer on mine.
That IMCO setup on the drive gimble seems to be the answer, but dayum.
If you can clear the step and exhaust, search around on places like OSO, Boatfreaks.org and here. I found my Marine Machine ($$$) rams/wing plate/hardware (no lines) for $700.

COLE050
11-12-2007, 11:56 PM
I would go with the full hydraulic system, you cant go wrong with it.

Keith E. Sayre
11-13-2007, 09:01 AM
I'd say go full hydraulic, spend the money and do it right.
Heaven forbid if you ever had a problem and you had saved a few bucks by
going with single ram hydraulic assist, you'd never forgive yourself if you
had a loss and someone got hurt or worse.
There's a reason racers all run full hydraulic steering.

BADBLOWN572
11-13-2007, 10:06 AM
For safety, both full hydraulic and hydraulic assist are about even. The full hydraulic is a much nicer system to drive, but you also pay for it. Personally I think that it is money well spent, but if you don't have it, you will be just fine with the hydraulic assist. :)

Havasu Hangin'
11-13-2007, 10:20 AM
For safety, both full hydraulic and hydraulic assist are about even. The full hydraulic is a much nicer system to drive, but you also pay for it. Personally I think that it is money well spent, but if you don't have it, you will be just fine with the hydraulic assist. :)
I agree with BADBLOWN572.
The safety part of the system is the hydraulic ram(s) on the drive- they keep the drive torque from swinging the drive to one side and hooking the boat if a cable breaks.
If the cable fails on a hydraulic assist, the boat should still go straight.

Racey
11-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Full hydraulic is way better, no play in the system, cleans up all that crap off the inner transom (rack and cable). and is all around more pleasant to drive with.
There is no choice to be made. Go Full hydraulic.

ClimbToFL350
11-13-2007, 05:14 PM
It sounds like full hydraulic is the way to go. If I go full hydraulic I can run the exhuast system I have. So I will be saving a little $$$ there. The swim steps are going to get moved up a few inches as well to make room for the steering and exhaust. There isnt much room in this little boat so I dont want a cluster of crap in the engine compartment as well.