PDA

View Full Version : Failing to Serve.....

Jbb
11-13-2007, 03:17 PM
On the homefront... (http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/11/failing-to-serv.html)...:mad:
"As the founder of a charity called Help Hospitalized Veterans, which distributes craft kits to veterans' hospitals, Roger Chapin of San Diego pays himself and his wife more than half a million dollars a year in salary." That amazes me. I'm amazed first that a person can even sleep at night after pocketing over $500,000 that should have been earmarked for soldiers, and secondly because the IRS hasn't hammered the living shit out of them for it

OGShocker
11-13-2007, 03:22 PM
On the homefront... (http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/11/failing-to-serv.html)...:mad:
"As the founder of a charity called Help Hospitalized Veterans, which distributes craft kits to veterans' hospitals, Roger Chapin of San Diego pays himself and his wife more than half a million dollars a year in salary." That amazes me. I'm amazed first that a person can even sleep at night after pocketing over $500,000 that should have been earmarked for soldiers, and secondly because the IRS hasn't hammered the living shit out of them for it
Sux but, they are not the only ones. Look into the United Way, at one time 80% of the funds raised went to operating expenses, including salarys. They got tagged big time by the news media.

Big Warlock
11-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Already been said, but many charities have "operating" expenses that are 90 some percent of what they take in!!!
Red Cross is bad as well. Many chapter presidents make $300K plus per year!!! While volunteers and such do the heavy lifting.
Salvation Army is a good one though! Many of the Shelters are excellent as well.
Not saying that charities shouldn't pay people. Just need to keep it in line with reality. So many people do well and give to charity while many of the charities shell out the majority of the money to directors and such.
And yes, United Way has a history of being one of the worse!!! At one time, I believe, they owned a yacht over 100 foot, an apartment in Manhattan and a Gulfstream jet! This was for the use of the Head of their organization. He was kicked out in a money scandal and replaced. Agin, years ago and I do not recall the exact circumstances.

Rexone
11-13-2007, 07:06 PM
After watching the video and hearing that as long as a charity gives 1/2 of one percent to the actual charitable cause.... I'm thinking wtf is our government thinking allowing this? Someone(s) in government are obviously on the take to allow this policy and keep it quiet. :mad:
God this kind of shit pisses me off. :mad:

Sleeper CP
11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
After watching the video and hearing that as long as a charity gives 1/2 of one percent to the actual charitable cause.... I'm thinking wtf is our government thinking allowing this? Someone(s) in government are obviously on the take to allow this policy and keep it quiet. :mad:
God this kind of shit pisses me off. :mad:
Years ago when I used to watch 60 minutes they did a great piece on
this type of crap going on in Charities. There was one state down South that was like a safe haven for these crooks. And Mike you are right the people in the government get huge contributions from these crooks and frauds. They are protected and they are protected by the tax code. Lot's and lot's of $$$$
It's been said. The United Way and Red Cross are bad. I've been on the Board of Management for a local branch of th YMCA for 12 yrs. I haven't check lately but 12 years ago 88% of money went directly to the end user.
Congress or we the people should do something after seeing that piece on 60 minutes years ago I thought there should at least be a federal rating and in bold print on any fund raising paper they should have to list the rating and what percentage of your donated $ goes to overhead.:mad:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Rexone
11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
this type of crap going on in Charities. There was one state down South that was like a safe haven for these crooks. And Mike you are right the people in the government get huge contributions from these crooks and frauds. They are protected and they are protected by the tax code. Lot's and lot's of $$$$
It's been said. The United Way and Red Cross are bad. I've been on the Board of Management for a local branch of th YMCA for 12 yrs. I haven't check lately but 12 years ago 88% of money went directly to the end user.
Congress or we the people should do something after seeing that piece on 60 minutes years ago I thought there should at least be a federal rating and in bold print on any fund raising paper they should have to list the rating and what percentage of your donated $ goes to overhead.:mad:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
It should be illegal.
I wonder why one of the pres candidates doesn't pick this issue up and run with it. Seems like it would be a real popular one to push with the people.
Hmmm, maybe the answer is above. :idea:

SB
11-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Well let's see, wasn't Liz Dole the Prez of the Red Cross at about $1 mil a year?
If I give $ to the Red Cross it's deductible and they'll waste it. If I give $20 to a hitchhiker, it's not deductible.

Sleeper CP
11-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Well let's see, wasn't Liz Dole the Prez of the Red Cross at about $1 mil a year?
If I give $ to the Red Cross it's deductible and they'll waste it. If I give $20 to a hitchhiker, it's not deductible.
Since that 60 minutes piece I have thought there should be a ratings system of : A,B,C,D,. If you give away less that 55% of what comes in it wouldn't be a charity, it would look like this:
55-60% F
61-65% D
66-75% C
76-85% B
86-91% A
92+% AA+
Just my .02
I thought Lizzy Dole did her stink for $1.00 a year:confused: That must have been someone else then, but someone for one of the big charities did something like that.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
That information is available, all you have to do is ask the charity you want to give to.
Also, I believe that the salaries of the top people in the orginization is of public record if it's a 501(c) charity.

CPBRIAN10THMTN
11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
The average is 3%, it personally makes me sick, just more people tryin to make a buck, in a dihonest way. Especially when some of us have healthcare and disabilities that rely on that(VA healthcare) and could be better with more funding. I do not donate to charities anymore, or if I do I thoroughly research it first. Which is only a handfull now.

Baja Big Dog
11-14-2007, 09:10 AM
So Ive got this 86 year of dad, and like most of you he is the greatest man I have had the pleasure of knowing. That said, I was going through his mail the other day, he lives alone with his best friend JD the chocolate lab (or should I say his shadow!!) 18 pieces of junk "beggar mail" as I refer to it as. He says he gets that much every day, got a little suspicious, went through his check book, HOLY SHIT!! He had written over $800 in checks to these fricken low lifes, you wouldn't believe it, Stop Hilary, Boarder fences, save social security, veterans missing left leg, veterans missing a finger etc etc etc.....I was pissed, what do you say to your dad??? I tried to explain that not even 2% of what he gives goes to the cause, he said he was gonna stop...didnt happen!! Every one comes with a little card stating "This is not a non profit cause, it is for help in the lobby industry, and it is NOT tax deductible "
Any ideas??

uvindex
11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Since that 60 minutes piece I have thought there should be a ratings system of : A,B,C,D,. The American Institute of Philanthropy does just that -- assigns letter grades to charities
(see AIP Top-rated List (http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html))
You can also get details on charities from the BBB here (http://www.give.org/bbb/index.asp). :)

Big Warlock
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
The American Institute of Philanthropy does just that -- assigns letter grades to charities
(see AIP Top-rated List (http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html))
You can also get details on charities from the BBB here (http://www.give.org/bbb/index.asp). :)
Jeeeesh, although a good idea, seems no one is rated below a "B"? Weird!

uvindex
11-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Jeeeesh, although a good idea, seems no one is rated below a "B"? Weird!The link was to the Top Rated list (useful for people trying to pick a charity).
To just look up a charity, I'd probably go to www.give.org (the BBB thing) first. :)

WaterJunky
11-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Non-Profits are the same. The only way that a Non-Profit is different from a standard business is that the founder / leaders set their salary to adsorb a large portion of the profits. So instead of directly taking the profit they skim them off in the form of over inflated wages. I donate to very few charitys just for this reason. I know this to be true because I worked for a NP several years ago.
The original intention of the tax laws was good but now it is just a loophole for scams. Personally, I am discusted with the whole thing.

Old Texan
11-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Saw an article talking about a lot of the sports and entertainment industry folks having low rated charities. Warren Moon's "Crescent Moon Foundation" got a lot of bad publicity here in Houston a few years back. Very little going out to the intended purpose.
Myself, I like to find someone in need and give direct. Plenty of needy families in every community that seem to drop through the big charities cracks.

dunaholic
11-14-2007, 11:26 AM
This is never going to change!!!! Instead of complaining and being jealous, start your own non-profit and run it how you see fit. If you want to not take a salary then that is your choice. The tax code(s) do not make the salary which a person running a charity illegal. So if you want to really be part of the solution start your own and get donations and do what you see fit.

Sleeper CP
11-15-2007, 08:52 AM
The link was to the Top Rated list (useful for people trying to pick a charity).
To just look up a charity, I'd probably go to www.give.org (the BBB thing) first. :)
Thanks for posting the useful info. I only give locally to two groups that I'm a part of.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover