PDA

View Full Version : Fabricators, or anyone that likes cool chit...

79 HUSTLER
11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Here is a link to the buildup of three new Herbst trucks. The tooling and fab. is insane... The shop is crazy as well... Very nice stuff being built..
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31417

79 HUSTLER
11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Forget, the site is really slow right now with everyone trying to get a live feed of the baja 1000...

rrrr
11-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Reading through the thread I saw Andy Bondio's name mentioned. I know Andy from midget racing, and he also worked as a crewman/RR tire changer on our Indy car when one of the regulars had knee surgery.
I didn't know he built offroad racers, but if it's anything like the midgets he builds it has to be some great stuff. Andy is one of the best fabricators I've ever seen, and his ideas on race car construction are awesome.
Check out this photo of his midgets at the Chili Bowl in Tulsa last year. There aren't any minimum weight requirements, and Andy's cars are always lighter than any of the 250 + cars entered every year. He rubs the 4130 frame with steel wool and oil for a finish......paint is too heavy. Last year he showed up with a ski on the left front instead of the motocycle tire......they wouldn't let him run it. :D
The radiator on the car is half the size of everyone else's......running in January at night doesn't take much of a radiator, and it saves weight.....
The last couple of years they have been driven by Cory Kruseman and J. J. Yeley. Cory and Andy have won the Chili Bowl twice.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43082&stc=1&d=1195054065

steve d
11-14-2007, 07:55 AM
.......Refreshing to see something other than "BILLET"
........rrrr;
What is the system to jack weight in the front end? Been out of it for a long while. Looks bitchen. ....steve

maxwedge
11-14-2007, 08:06 AM
It's amazing what the imagination can come up with. Once again, I'm reminded of how much my fab skills really suck. I need to go weld something now for practice.:D

rrrr
11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
.......Refreshing to see something other than "BILLET"
........rrrr;
What is the system to jack weight in the front end? Been out of it for a long while. Looks bitchen. ....steve
Steve, the shock on the right front has a threaded rotating collar at the top spring perch, you just move it to change the spring rate. The RR shock has a valving adjustment knob in the cockpit......
The left side doesn't do "chit", most all of the crossweight is on the RR. The motorcycle tire freaked out a bunch of people when the car showed up in 2004, last year when Andy put the ski on the LF and the Kruser ran some practice laps I think he did it just to fock with their heads.......:D :D
For reference here's a pic of J. J. in 2004. Andy fittied Cory's car with the motorcycle tire for the first time that year. Notice the amount of unsprung weight lost between this design and the one pictured above.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43099&stc=1&d=1195057877

steve d
11-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Steve, the shock on the right front has a threaded rotating collar at the top spring perch, you just move it to change the spring rate. The RR shock has a valving adjustment knob in the cockpit......
The left side doesn't do "chit", most all of the crossweight is on the RR. The motorcycle tire freaked out a bunch of people when the car showed up in 2004, last year when Andy put the ski on the LF and the Kruser ran some practice laps I think he did it just to fock with their heads.......:D :D
For reference here's a pic of J. J. in 2004. Andy fittied Cory's car with the motorcycle tire for the first time that year. Notice the amount of unsprung weight lost between this design and the one pictured above.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43099&stc=1&d=1195057877
............Amazing. Need to get close to one of these soon. Come along ways from the "DAGO" suspension we used.
.............I'll bet that ski only skipped a a couple of times going down
the chute:D :D

mostly crue
11-14-2007, 12:50 PM
My father-in-laws boat shop is next door to Andy's shop. He is a very cool dude. He welded up the headers on the wife's crackerbox. He has an AC Cobra with a IRL engine that is truly sick.
Jeff

Jbb
11-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Midget racing....or Midget rodeo......:D