PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa Mexico

DCBob
11-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Taking a trip there after Thanksgiving. We've never been to Mexico and would like to know what to bring, where to go, what to eat/drink or not :confused: Also, Travelers Checks instead of money :confused: Any insight would be appriciated ;) :)

XFactor
11-14-2007, 08:20 AM
I think Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman have been there. :D

DCBob
11-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Now that's insight ;) :D

OnlyMoney
11-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah, what he said. We need to know so that we can decided if we're joining some friends in April. Pleeeeeeeeeease help us. :)

OutCole'd
11-14-2007, 08:22 AM
I went there a couple of years ago. Stayed at a Club Med (for the kids). Cool place. No problems at all. Dollars were fine, I never exchanged my money, they all liked the green.
Went to the Marina, to have lunch, the waiter hooked us up with a captain to go fishing. Had a great time.

DCBob
11-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah, what he said. We need to know so that we can decided if we're joining some friends in April. Pleeeeeeeeeease help us. :)
I'll be glad to give ya a heads up when we get back!!!! :)

topless
11-14-2007, 08:34 AM
I went there when I was ih High School with my family. This was before it really touristy. It was beautiful but just be sure and pray during the ride from the airport to Xtapa...scary.

Dave C
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
aren't you boating that day?:idea: :D ;)

sea2lake
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
take a short boat ride to the island just north of the marina, the name escapes me right now, but it is really nice. there is no elec on the island,so all the food is prepared over fire ovens, on the back side you can snorkel and see many fish. the south side of the island, there is a naked beach, you can see it when you are on the boat ride there. Highly recommend to spend a day there(not the naked beach persay)For Diner, go up the tram way to the top resteraunt. The view is great and food is good. We own a time share in that complex.If you golf, the golf course is around the corner from Pacifica. nice course, gaters in the water hazards though. do not retrieve your ball. every day behind the beach bar at the base of the tram, they feed the gators,(could be crocks,not sure,)whole chickens, what a site...
Have fun. and yes , hold on tight on your ride from the airport...

DCBob
11-14-2007, 11:20 AM
aren't you boating that day?:idea: :D ;)
Yeah, if anything is still running ;) :D
Thanks everyone.......anybody else :confused:

Kindsvater Flat
11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Here is my uncle al's deal. I haven't been there but it looks cool.
www.zihuatanejocondos.com/ (http://www.zihuatanejocondos.com/)

UnionJack
11-14-2007, 09:59 PM
we are going april

acatitude
11-14-2007, 10:04 PM
You taken the E -Ticket with ya?? N-ShIT:D :D
Don't bend over in front of any cabana boys,,,,,;)
And have a great time senor

Magnuman
11-15-2007, 12:05 AM
I have stayed in Zihuatanejo during the month of February for the past 10 years.
My avatar is from the balcony of where I usually stay.
This is where we will be staying for the month of February.
http://www.tentacionesproperties.com/hotel_tentaciones.htm
Are you taking kids?
Do you want an all inclusive?
Are you already booked?
Would you rather have someplace private and exclusive?
I always stay in Zihuatanejo.
Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo are totally different environments
I use the ATM machines at the banks and only bring enough US dollars for the first evening until I can get to a bank.
Pack really light. T-shirts, a few shorts, two bathings suits, one Tommy Bahama type shirt. No dress shoes, long pants, etc. Very relaxed and laid back.
If I know where you are staying I can recommend restaurants and activities.
Here is a link for the message board for Zihuatanejo:
http://www.zihuatanejo.net/wwwboard/

DCBob
11-15-2007, 06:07 AM
Home base for the trip, already have reservations made, no kids. Please give us your imput especially re: food, fresh fruits, water, etc. Should I drink my Tequilla w/o ice......that would be a crime! ;) :)

Jbb
11-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Working on a boat...:)

Magnuman
11-15-2007, 07:37 AM
You are staying at a great place and excellent location.
Everyplace has purified water. So don't worry about the ice.
Purified water will be given to you at the hotel for drinking.
In restaurants just ask for a bottle of purified water to drink.
I have a really weak stomach and I don't have a problem with any food or fruits there. It's usually never the food that gets people sick.
It's happy hours!!:D :D
If you like juices, there are small vendors that sell fresh squeezed juices all over. Also, everynight on the main square in town a hamburger vendor sets up. For years, I was a afraid to try them. What a mistake! There is nothing that compares to his hamburgers anywhere. Ask for a buger with "todo" (everything). Have one of these and go to the gelato place a few doors down for dessert. You will be back every night.
I will put together a list of restaurants for you later this evening.

DCBob
11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
You are staying at a great place and excellent location.
Everyplace has purified water. So don't worry about the ice.
Purified water will be given to you at the hotel for drinking.
In restaurants just ask for a bottle of purified water to drink.
I have a really weak stomach and I don't have a problem with any food or fruits there. It's usually never the food that gets people sick.
It's happy hours!!:D :D
If you like juices, there are small vendors that sell fresh squeezed juices all over. Also, everynight on the main square in town a hamburger vendor sets up. For years, I was a afraid to try them. What a mistake! There is nothing that compares to his hamburgers anywhere. Ask for a buger with "todo" (everything). Have one of these and go to the gelato place a few doors down for dessert. You will be back every night.
I will put together a list of restaurants for you later this evening.
Thank you very much, we truely appriciate the help! How about snorkling/diving/fishing also? Thanks again! :) :) :)

Magnuman
11-15-2007, 11:01 PM
OK here goes:
First thing, find a map of Zihuatanejo centro. I am sure they have one at La Roca.
As you are staying at La Roca you will probably be having a dinner or two there. The dinners are excellent and you will probably want to be lazy and not want to leave, but make the effort to get out.
Bearings First:
La Roca is right next to the beach. If you come out of their front gate and hang a right you will be on the beach in 30 seconds. Take a left and walk down about 900 yards. There will be two restaurants on the beach.
Paty's Mar Y Mar and Elvira's.
Patys is great for breakfast or lunch and just hanging out.
Buckets of cold cervesa's and ceviche
Elvira's is better for dinner and is unbelievably relaxing watching the sun set with your feet buried in the sand.
Elvira's has a reputation of burying a tip in the bill so watch your final tab.
Although, we are not talking about a great deal of money.
All restaurants especially on the beach have long happy hours. I recommend not doing the two for one's. The tequila that is used can kill you. You won't notice when you are drinking it, but either later that night or the next morning you will regret it.
If you are drinking Margarita's asking for Don Julio Blanco in your Margarita's.
You will thank me. All restaurants have a wide variety of sipping tequila's, so enjoy. Another great thing is Cuban rum, my drink of choice. There is nothing smoother than Habana Club and coke.
OK, back to restaurants:
Hang a left out the door of La Roca and walk up the steep hill. You will be on the main street going into town. Take a left and walk about a quarter of a mile and you will see a sign and some steps down a cliff.
This is "Il Mare". Italian, fun and a great setting. One of my favorites.
A little bit further across the street will be the Bay Club (Club Blue). Another nice setting and excellent food.
Finally on the same side as Il Mare you will come to two restaurants, Puerta del Sol and Kau Kan.
Peurto Del Sol is more Mexican influenced and Kau Kan is French Cuisine.
Many people save Kau Kan for a special dinner, although I recommend Amuletto for the final night or one night you want to dress up.
Better shirt/shorts.
Amuletto is a private 5 room resort that has an excellent restaurant. They are also on the highest point in Zihuatanejo and the views are incredible. Make a reservation around 6:00 - 6:30.
Right next door to La Roca is Casa que Canta. Absolutely beautiful place to stay, but not worth the $ to eat at. Go in for an evening night cap if you are curious.
Another great restaurant for dinner is La Gula. No view, but it is worth it for the cuisine. My favorite for culinary excellence.
That will do you for plenty of dinner's. Now for fun restaurants dinner/lunch in Zihuatanjeo proper.
Tamales Any - The best tamales around. Try their desert tamales.
Also on Thursday evening they have a Mexican fiesta there. It is a fun evening and they pour you all of the mescal you can drink for the price of admission. The mescal is high quality and won't kill you. Also try their Pozole verde. Chicken soup as it's best. Will cure all that ails you.
Las Braseros - Tacos
Banditos - Mexican food and late night music/bar.
Capriccio - If you are longing for a burger at a restaurant. But..take my previous recommendation about the burger vendor across the street from the basketball courts. You can't miss him. There will be many people around him. He will be wearing a chef's tunic.
Rick's bar for libations. This is where all the yachties hang out. Although you will be a little early in the season. The yacht don't start arriving until end of December.
Right across from Rick's bar there is a cigar shop and liquor store. Great cigars and Cuban rum.
Pollo Loco - no not the chain. Cheap, Cheap barbeque eats for dinner.
On Sunday evening, all of the locals come to the Zocalo (center of town -basketball courts) and socialize, play music, dance and eat. Don't be afraid to try the vendor food.
I think that will keep you full for your time there.:D
Diving snorkeling:
You need to get in touch with Hector Olea
He speaks excellent English
Tel. 554-4311.
You can either call him as soon as you get in or find him in the evening at Coconuts Restaurant/Bar around 6-7PM or in the early morning 7:30am -8:30 or early evening at Marina Cafe next to the basketball courts.
He is hard to miss. Looks more Hawaiin with a long white beard.
His brother Ramon runs a sportfishing company at the same phone #.
You can't find two better people.
Here is Ramon's website. You can also contact Hector through it.
http://www.zihuatanejo.net/oleaje/index.html
Do not get taken by the vendors running around selling fishing or snorkling trips.
Hector and Ramon are the real deal and truly care about your day.
Here are some links to some of the above recommendations:
http://www.amuleto.net/
http://www.casakaukan.com/kaukan/
http://www.zihuatanejo.com.mx/lagula/
http://www.zihuatanejo.com.mx/ricks/
http://www.zihuatanejo.net/bandidos/
Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!
As tour guide payment I will require a quick run on the E-ticket some day.:D
You would have had heavy competition on that boat if I had not been out of town when it was posted for sale.
Lastly, the development in Zihuatanejo has grown drastically in the past few years. Please tell everyone that you had a horrible time and would never go back.;)

DCBob
11-16-2007, 06:26 AM
OK here goes:
First thing, find a map of Zihuatanejo centro. I am sure they have one at La Roca.
As you are staying at La Roca you will probably be having a dinner or two there. The dinners are excellent and you will probably want to be lazy and not want to leave, but make the effort to get out.
Bearings First:
La Roca is right next to the beach. If you come out of their front gate and hang a right you will be on the beach in 30 seconds. Take a left and walk down about 900 yards. There will be two restaurants on the beach.
Paty's Mar Y Mar and Elvira's.
Patys is great for breakfast or lunch and just hanging out.
Buckets of cold cervesa's and ceviche
Elvira's is better for dinner and is unbelievably relaxing watching the sun set with your feet buried in the sand.
Elvira's has a reputation of burying a tip in the bill so watch your final tab.
Although, we are not talking about a great deal of money.
All restaurants especially on the beach have long happy hours. I recommend not doing the two for one's. The tequila that is used can kill you. You won't notice when you are drinking it, but either later that night or the next morning you will regret it.
If you are drinking Margarita's asking for Don Julio Blanco in your Margarita's.
You will thank me. All restaurants have a wide variety of sipping tequila's, so enjoy. Another great thing is Cuban rum, my drink of choice. There is nothing smoother than Habana Club and coke.
OK, back to restaurants:
Hang a left out the door of La Roca and walk up the steep hill. You will be on the main street going into town. Take a left and walk about a quarter of a mile and you will see a sign and some steps down a cliff.
This is "Il Mare". Italian, fun and a great setting. One of my favorites.
A little bit further across the street will be the Bay Club (Club Blue). Another nice setting and excellent food.
Finally on the same side as Il Mare you will come to two restaurants, Puerta del Sol and Kau Kan.
Peurto Del Sol is more Mexican influenced and Kau Kan is French Cuisine.
Many people save Kau Kan for a special dinner, although I recommend Amuletto for the final night or one night you want to dress up.
Better shirt/shorts.
Amuletto is a private 5 room resort that has an excellent restaurant. They are also on the highest point in Zihuatanejo and the views are incredible. Make a reservation around 6:00 - 6:30.
Right next door to La Roca is Casa que Canta. Absolutely beautiful place to stay, but not worth the $ to eat at. Go in for an evening night cap if you are curious.
Another great restaurant for dinner is La Gula. No view, but it is worth it for the cuisine. My favorite for culinary excellence.
That will do you for plenty of dinner's. Now for fun restaurants dinner/lunch in Zihuatanjeo proper.
Tamales Any - The best tamales around. Try their desert tamales.
Also on Thursday evening they have a Mexican fiesta there. It is a fun evening and they pour you all of the mescal you can drink for the price of admission. The mescal is high quality and won't kill you. Also try their Pozole verde. Chicken soup as it's best. Will cure all that ails you.
Las Braseros - Tacos
Banditos - Mexican food and late night music/bar.
Capriccio - If you are longing for a burger at a restaurant. But..take my previous recommendation about the burger vendor across the street from the basketball courts. You can't miss him. There will be many people around him. He will be wearing a chef's tunic.
Rick's bar for libations. This is where all the yachties hang out. Although you will be a little early in the season. The yacht don't start arriving until end of December.
Right across from Rick's bar there is a cigar shop and liquor store. Great cigars and Cuban rum.
Pollo Loco - no not the chain. Cheap, Cheap barbeque eats for dinner.
On Sunday evening, all of the locals come to the Zocalo (center of town -basketball courts) and socialize, play music, dance and eat. Don't be afraid to try the vendor food.
I think that will keep you full for your time there.:D
Diving snorkeling:
You need to get in touch with Hector Olea
He speaks excellent English
Tel. 554-4311.
You can either call him as soon as you get in or find him in the evening at Coconuts Restaurant/Bar around 6-7PM or in the early morning 7:30am -8:30 or early evening at Marina Cafe next to the basketball courts.
He is hard to miss. Looks more Hawaiin with a long white beard.
His brother Ramon runs a sportfishing company at the same phone #.
You can't find two better people.
Here is Ramon's website. You can also contact Hector through it.
http://www.zihuatanejo.net/oleaje/index.html
Do not get taken by the vendors running around selling fishing or snorkling trips.
Hector and Ramon are the real deal and truly care about your day.
Here are some links to some of the above recommendations:
http://www.amuleto.net/
http://www.casakaukan.com/kaukan/
http://www.zihuatanejo.com.mx/lagula/
http://www.zihuatanejo.com.mx/ricks/
http://www.zihuatanejo.net/bandidos/
Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!
As tour guide payment I will require a quick run on the E-ticket some day.:D
You would have had heavy competition on that boat if I had not been out of town when it was posted for sale.
Lastly, the development in Zihuatanejo has grown drastically in the past few years. Please tell everyone that you had a horrible time and would never go back.;)
WOW!!!!!! Ya can't ask for better tour guide help than this! We surely do appriciate it. You're on for tour guide payment. I'd be happy to give you a ride in the E-Ticket, (disclaimer) I won't be responsible if you get the sudden urge to go out and buy one! I was definately in the right place at the right time on that deal. If you're ever in our neck of the woods (Sacramento Delta) give me a call and we'll save ya a seat on a run, or if you get up to Lake Shasta (watch for our trip in June.....Hot Spots West) I'll save ya a seat. Thanks again, I'll let you know how our trip turned out.
Bob & Elaine

Magnuman
12-10-2007, 03:34 PM
How was the trip?
I leave in 49 days.

DCBob
12-11-2007, 04:29 PM
How was the trip?
I leave in 49 days.
OK, we had a blast! The place was just as you suggested, where do I start.
Villa la Roca was fantastic....food/service excellent. Bad start out of SFO, got there @ 6:00 AM went through all the bs got on the plane, plane broke, no parts, try again Tuesday. Got into Zwa around 6:00 PM Tues evening. Amazing drive to Villa la Roca :2purples: :2purples: Dropped off stuff, walked to beach and down to Elvira's had a couple of Don Julio's and a nice dinner. Enjoyed the evening on the beach. Wed. walked down the beach to Paty's got a table, had a lot of Don Julio's didn't move all day except to swim and sip. Thurs. walked into town, looked around, shopped, walked to the pier and basetball courts (no burger guy) ate at Tamales Any walked back to Paty's for Don Julio's @ sunset and evening. Fri, went to Ixtapa, looked around, bought a timeshare in the new Pacifica Project in Zwa (supposed to be complete in late 2008-2009). Sat. went fishing on the way to Xtapa Island to snorkle. We caught Yellow Tail, Black Fin Tuna, something that looked like a Barracuda and another fish I can't remember the name of. While we snorkled, the fish was all cooked up for us. We ate fish, drank Pena Colatas and enjoyed the sun. Saturday evening, back to Paty's for Don Julio's, sunset HobieCat ride, etc. Sunday, back to town sightseeing, afternoon at the beach for some Parasailing, Villa la Roca for a fantistic dinner. Monday, lay on beach, drink Don Julio's, get sunburned, wait for cab ride to airport:2purples: :2purples: Can't wait to go back!! ;) :) Thanks for your help it was invauluable! Stay in touch for the E-Ticket ride in the spring.

Racey
12-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I was gonna say, ask Andy Dufresne and ol Red

Magnuman
12-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Glad you had a great time.
Did you plan on getting a place in Mexico or was it the sun and Don Julio's?
We come very close every year to buying a home.
But with homes in Tahoe, Clear Lake and the East Bay I always get back to reality and enjoy relaxing and being waited on.
Also, we think about the idea of relatives and friends wanting to come along.
That kills the deal right there.:D

DCBob
12-12-2007, 06:00 AM
Glad you had a great time.
Did you plan on getting a place in Mexico or was it the sun and Don Julio's?
We come very close every year to buying a home.
But with homes in Tahoe, Clear Lake and the East Bay I always get back to reality and enjoy relaxing and being waited on.
Also, we think about the idea of relatives and friends wanting to come along.
That kills the deal right there.:D
Definately the sun & Don Julio's made me do it. Have plans to travel more, never had a timeshare and thought it would be a good time/place to try one out. I see your point on not buying a place though :idea: :D Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Thanks again

sea2lake
12-12-2007, 04:26 PM
huh, We have a timeshare at Pacifica also, had it for 11 years now. Trying to seel it, just not enough time for us now.
Youll like it there. If you know anyone looking for a 1br condo,let me know.
Glad you had a good time. How did you like the island, we always get the table in the bay with the palm frond umbrella...
http://www.timesharelink.com/Images/resorts/thumbs/PIF2.gif
http://www.timesharelink.com/P/Pacifica-Club-4764.asp

DCBob
12-12-2007, 07:13 PM
huh, We have a timeshare at Pacifica also, had it for 11 years now. Trying to seel it, just not enough time for us now.
Youll like it there. If you know anyone looking for a 1br condo,let me know.
Glad you had a good time. How did you like the island, we always get the table in the bay with the palm frond umbrella...
http://www.timesharelink.com/Images/resorts/thumbs/PIF2.gif
http://www.timesharelink.com/P/Pacifica-Club-4764.asp
I do know someone. I'll check w/them and get back to ya. We loved the island and the whole fishing trip out there, having the fish cooked, snorkeling, yada, yada, yada, can't wait to do that again! ;) :)