PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Law question?

andy01
11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a friend with a Nissan Z that wants to lemon law it. He has had problem after problem with it. He has had so many problems with the car the dealer itself is telling him to lemon law it.
How does he get it started or go about it? I know some of you have done it with your trucks.
Thanks,
Andy

SB
11-14-2007, 11:57 AM
The procedure is in your book with your owner's manual.

topless
11-14-2007, 12:00 PM
http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

Hustler
11-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Tell him to call my buddy Tim. Tim is an automotive expert for the courts and works with a couple different lawyers. Tim's # is 818-951-8848. He will tell him what he needs to do and refer him to a lawyer.

Parker Dreamin
11-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I contacted the BBB about mine, they got in touch with the Area Manager of Chevy, they told me to bring my truck in and the check was ready.

topless
11-14-2007, 01:39 PM
The BBB does arbitrations for most of the manufacturers.

UnionJack
11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
I used norman taylor he wrote the california law

OnlyMoney
11-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Interesting name for a lawyer .... :idea:
<--- pardon me I've been drinking..... :)

UnionJack
11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I know

riverroyal
11-14-2007, 06:35 PM
let me know if you need his number.He is located in downtown SD but most of what you do is over the internet and mail anyways.
There must be REPEAT issues with the same item.Example,the Transmission was repaired 3 times and now its broke again.They have 3 trys.
If you have many items once,thats different,but it may fall under the 30days without service deal.Meaning 30 days at the shop.
This gives me a great chance to say,I LEMON LAWED my WEEKEND WARRIOR!!Congrats to ME:D

Screemy1
11-14-2007, 07:37 PM
can I lemon law my spouse???? I asked her three times for dinner when I got home..... tonight.... wouldn't you know it..... 4th time and no dinner.... she has a cold and broken arm..... excuses excuses.... she is a lemon.....!:rolleyes:

BadKachina
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
can I lemon law my spouse???? I asked her three times for dinner when I got home..... tonight.... wouldn't you know it..... 4th time and no dinner.... she has a cold and broken arm..... excuses excuses.... she is a lemon.....!:rolleyes:
Damn, you'd think after you broke her arm she'd know you're serious.:jawdrop: :D

riverroyal
11-14-2007, 07:44 PM
the great thing with lemon law is it cost you ZERO.The lawyer fees are attached to the end of the deal.Example,if you get you money back on the purchase of 50000,he will have a fee of 300$ per hour with a 10 hour minimum,thats typical for most lemon lawyers.So the lawsuit is for 53000,unless they go over 10 hours,which is very rare.
Also most lemon lawyers review the case for a month,they wont take it unless they will win
Next,pictures and documentation.Every phone all,with names and times,what was talked about etc with the dealer or manufacture.Keep a perfect paper trail.Thats how we won,I had dates,times,who I spoke with and what they said.If you leave a voice mail,with who,when,did they call you back??etc.
Ok Im done,Im still BITTER,but happy

Screemy1
11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Damn, you'd think after you broke her arm she'd know you're serious.:jawdrop: :D
funny thing with her arm...... she broke it pretty bad, compound, ripped through the muscles and tendons.... had to be admitted... and emergency surgery.... but because we brought her in and told them how it happened over 4 hours prior because we were out in the desert and she crashed her dirt bike.... sitting in the emergency room, my buddy and his wife are there, his wife had been holding her arm for over 4 hours.... my buddy says to the nurse, I beat her and then made her put on her riding gear to make up the story about her crashing to cover up my abusing her.... the nurse actually strated to believe it..... had to convince her how it was a joke..... :eek:

Brian Ray
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I used him as well.....

Eliminator 4 Life
11-14-2007, 08:42 PM
I wouldnt BBB or go through arbitration cut the crap and get an attorney. I have an attorney that has done a few vehicles for me Delsack and Ass. his humber is 888-395-3666

GoCiggie31
11-14-2007, 10:10 PM
as stated above:
What is considered a reasonable number of repair attempts will depend on the circumstances including the seriousness of the defect. For example, one or two repair attempts may be considered reasonable for serious safety defects such as brake failure, depending on the exact situation.
A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

Riverkid
11-14-2007, 11:08 PM
let me know if you need his number.He is located in downtown SD but most of what you do is over the internet and mail anyways.
There must be REPEAT issues with the same item.Example,the Transmission was repaired 3 times and now its broke again.They have 3 trys.
If you have many items once,thats different,but it may fall under the 30days without service deal.Meaning 30 days at the shop.
This gives me a great chance to say,I LEMON LAWED my WEEKEND WARRIOR!!Congrats to ME:D
What happened with that? Give it up...:)

riverroyal
11-15-2007, 06:48 PM
was in the shop for 187 days.I owned it less than 2 years.The list of defective items are to much too list here.It was just a horrible experience.
I know 10 families that have WW with no issues,thats why we bought one.
Our biggest issue was getting the warranty work completed in a TIMELY manner.The trailer would sit for months,60,70,90 days with no work being done.The dealership would call WW to get authorized to due the work and they couldnt get it,So we started calling ourselves,I got voicemail everytime.No one would return our calls,ever.
Finally after selling all the desert toys since the trailer was out of service for the entire winter I called again,this time just pushing any extension.Fianlly someone answered.I explained the deal,at the time the trailer was in the shop for around 3 months.I explained to the head of customer service what wasa going on,and I was very polite.I then explained we were concerned that the 2 year warranty was going to be done and that the trailer was always messed up so I wanted to BUY the extended warranty,I thought it would be fair.They said"we will look at the file,call you back"remember im still trailerless.Weeks go by,no calls.I start calling,leaving multi voicemails,no return calls......2 days later I hired a lemon lawyer.Fast forward more months,WW wants to fix everything now,we say no.Another month goes by,lawyer calls us,they will buy it back.Fine,they came and picked it up,with a check for 50k give or take.
Now,I paid storage for the trailer for 6 months ,never even used it,it was at the shop,etc etc.I lost some money
Im NOT BASHING weekend warrior,we truely were upset over this entire deal.I liked the layout,the looks etc.I just never used it,it was always at the shop.
I would never buy another one on the customer service alone,everyone who loves their weekend warrior has never had any issues,so whats not love.
Theres much more to the story,but not on a public forum.
After it was gone,I got a call from a salesguy at a WW dealership,didnt even know the guy.He asked me what happened,then told me i should have called the owned Mark,I told the guy,is he so Unattached to his company that he doesnt know of this?Maybe he needs to get new employees,,click

riverroyal
11-15-2007, 06:48 PM
was in the shop for 187 days.I owned it less than 2 years.The list of defective items are to much too list here.It was just a horrible experience.
Our biggest issue was getting the warranty work completed in a TIMELY manner.The trailer would sit for months,60,70,90 days with no work being done.The dealership would call WW to get authorized to due the work and they couldnt get it,So we started calling ourselves,I got voicemail everytime.No one would return our calls,ever.
Finally after selling all the desert toys since the trailer was out of service for the entire winter I called again,this time just pushing any extension.Fianlly someone answered.I explained the deal,at the time the trailer was in the shop for around 3 months.I explained to the head of customer service what wasa going on,and I was very polite.I then explained we were concerned that the 2 year warranty was going to be done and that the trailer was always messed up so I wanted to BUY the extended warranty,I thought it would be fair.They said"we will look at the file,call you back"remember im still trailerless.Weeks go by,no calls.I start calling,leaving multi voicemails,no return calls......2 days later I hired a lemon lawyer.Fast forward more months,WW wants to fix everything now,we say no.Another month goes by,lawyer calls us,they will buy it back.Fine,they came and picked it up,with a check for 50k give or take.
Now,I paid storage for the trailer for 6 months ,never even used it,it was at the shop,etc etc.I lost some money
Im NOT BASHING weekend warrior,we truely were upset over this entire deal.I liked the layout,the looks etc.I just never used it,it was always at the shop.
I would never buy another one on the customer service alone,everyone who loves their weekend warrior has never had any issues,so whats not love.
After it was gone,I got a call from a salesguy at a WW dealership,didnt even know the guy.He asked me what happened,then told me i should have called the owned Mark,I told the guy,is he so Unattached to his company that he doesnt know of this?Maybe he needs to get new employees,,click

Baja Big Dog
11-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I dont understand the hesitance to "Bash" WW, you sound like you have all the right to bash them, if you ask most people (like I have) that own WW most of them will complain about problems with the trailers....and WW lack of attention to fix problems.
They WERE a nice trailer, but I believe they have outgrown the tennis shoes, and are still trying to run!!
We looked at them at the show, it was embarrassing, the trim was crooked, the fits were bad, it was amazing for a trailer at a show!!

riverroyal
11-15-2007, 07:08 PM
I dont understand the hesitance to "Bash" WW, you sound like you have all the right to bash them, if you ask most people (like I have) that own WW most of them will complain about problems with the trailers....and WW lack of attention to fix problems.
They WERE a nice trailer, but I believe they have outgrown the tennis shoes, and are still trying to run!!
We looked at them at the show, it was embarrassing, the trim was crooked, the fits were bad, it was amazing for a trailer at a show!!
:D

River918
11-15-2007, 08:25 PM
As many people that know me are aware, I've had some of the worst luck with some major purchases I've made. The first was a 33' Gearbox 5th wheel that was ultimately bought back by Fleetwood. That entire ordeal took about 8 moths to sort out. I didn't hire an attorney for that case, but it eventually worked out for me.
Next, I had a 2003 Ford Superduty PSD that would simply loose power while driving down the freeway. I hired an attorney for that one, and it was bought back after about 6 months. It ended up costing me about $1,500.00 out of pocket for "lawyer fees" from Norman Taylor. By the way, they were a bunch of idiots and I would never use them again. They would never return calls and actually talking with the "attorney" and not a law clerk, took an act of god.
Recently I had another issue with a new vehicle I purchased last year. To handle this case, I simply filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I received a phone call from the car maker with two days, and the vehicle was approved for buy back within a month. No $$$$$ out of pocket and one of the easiest transactions I've had.
In short: file a claim with the BBB and let them handle it for you free of charge. If it can't be settled through mediation, they'll help you contact a lawyer to file paperwork in court.

riverroyal
11-15-2007, 08:32 PM
As many people that know me are aware, I've had some of the worst luck with some major purchases I've made. The first was a 33' Gearbox 5th wheel that was ultimately bought back by Fleetwood. That entire ordeal took about 8 moths to sort out. I didn't hire an attorney for that case, but it eventually worked out for me.
Next, I had a 2003 Ford Superduty PSD that would simply loose power while driving down the freeway. I hired an attorney for that one, and it was bought back after about 6 months. It ended up costing me about $1,500.00 out of pocket for "lawyer fees" from Norman Taylor. By the way, they were a bunch of idiots and I would never use them again. They would never return calls and actually talking with the "attorney" and not a law clerk, took an act of god.
Recently I had another issue with a new vehicle I purchased last year. To handle this case, I simply filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I received a phone call from the car maker with two days, and the vehicle was approved for buy back within a month. No $$$$$ out of pocket and one of the easiest transactions I've had.
In short: file a claim with the BBB and let them handle it for you free of charge. If it can't be settled through mediation, they'll help you contact a lawyer to file paperwork in court.
as I mentioned in my post about my trailer.I have many friends with WW trailers no issues.
Well I traded in a toyhauler for my Weekend warrior,it was a Fleetwood Gearbox!..Never had any issues at all with it,so I liked it.Although i have read many horror stories with them.
Now on the flip side,my new 5th wheel has been perfect,we had one issue with the A/C ,I called the dealership,the tech walked me through some trouble shooting stuff,found the problem,fixed.That was DRENKS rv in san diego,great place,great service

riverroyal
11-15-2007, 08:33 PM
how did you spend 1500???Thats sounds wrong

River918
11-15-2007, 09:16 PM
how did you spend 1500???Thats sounds wrong
It was the "retainer." They also got $2,500.00 from Ford for "attorney's fees." I was under the belief that money would come out of the $2,500 they got from Ford, but I was wrong...Damn fine print....:mad: They also got $2,500.00 from Ford for attorney's fees.
Their office was a joke. At one point I left messages for the attorney to call my for 6 straight days with no response. On the seventh day I got a call from the office and come to find out it was an employee at the law firm (one I had never talked to before) that called to ask me a person question he had regarding the line of work I am in. No info on my case, he wanted advise on how to handle a "situation" he had gotten himself into.

Opinionated
11-16-2007, 07:54 AM
I have a friend with a Nissan Z that wants to lemon law it. He has had problem after problem with it. He has had so many problems with the car the dealer itself is telling him to lemon law it.
How does he get it started or go about it? I know some of you have done it with your trucks.
Thanks,
Andy
It's a bitch. I lemon lawed a 2004 F250. Make sure that the market value of the car is less than the money you will get back when you win the claim. The problem with mine was that the first time I reported the problem, the truck had about 20K miles on it. You are charged about 55 cents per mile for the mileage you used up until the point that you made the first warranty claim of the specific problem that makes the vehicle qualify for the lemon law. They gave me $11K less than I paid for the truck 1 year prior. If I would have traded the truck in on a new vehicle, I would have been better off by about $4K. I went through the Better Business Bureau and they are pretty customer friendly. Good luck..

Opinionated
11-16-2007, 07:57 AM
By the way, you are responsible for all of the finance charges etc. up until the case is settled. You will be involved in the case for 2-3 months. I was without a vehicle for 2 months because I refused to pick the truck up from the dealership because it was unsafe. Bottom line, FORD SUCKS!!!!!!