PDA

View Full Version : Tankless Water Heaters????? Info

Not So Fast
11-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Anybody using the tankless type water heaters? Heard good and bad about them so looking for input, thanks:D NSF

Strippoker
11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
parents have one at the ranch the thing rocks no problems at all they got it at HD. They needed one that could tie into the solar set up super small and heats the water really fast.

Havasu1986
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Anybody using the tankless type water heaters? Heard good and bad about them so looking for input, thanks:D NSF
Bobby...Does your house have gas or all electric. I think it may make a differnce. :confused:

hoolign
11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I have a renaii (sp?) system in the house..excellent system 5 gal a minute all day long!@ 140C

RitcheyRch
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Parents have one and they love it.

rodnjen
11-14-2007, 05:13 PM
I have the Bosch outdoor gas model. We really like it. Make sure your gas pipe is 3/4 and not 1/2.

Not So Fast
11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Bobby...Does your house have gas or all electric. I think it may make a differnce. :confused:
All electric, no gas in the area! I know they say you have to have a lot of juice for them but since the house is pretty new I thought it should have enough power:idea: ??? From what I have read they are super economical and supposed to heat the water very fast and NO STORAGE tank to keep hot. Seems like a good idea:idea: Mine is 5 years old so I'm looking ahead. NSF

RitcheyRch
11-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Same one my parents have
I have the Bosch outdoor gas model. We really like it. Make sure your gas pipe is 3/4 and not 1/2.

blown agin kev
11-14-2007, 05:23 PM
i have one in the new house I love it. I bought a Takagi they have a supplier in Irvine you really need to be careful if you have real hard water. mineral deposits build up in the heat exchanger and ruin it after a while. Check out there web site :D

Mandelon
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I have one, I love it. We can take three showers at a time with no problems.

Not So Fast
11-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Is it electric? Can you use the power source in place or do you have to have a new line run for the extra power? They are pretty pricey also huh? NSF

hoolign
11-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Have you ever thought about losing weight?? :idea:

Screemy1
11-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I had a gas tankless, it was great, only prob is if you get one with enough btu's to run multiple sources.... and you can not use a recirc pump for instant hot water at faucets. As for the tankless electric models... I have no idea, I did a little research and they seem like a neat idea, but still do not know enough to give a good opinion. If the cost of upgrading electrical is alot considering you would have to add a breaker and run 2 guage wire from the bow to the point of water heater location, might be cheaper to run a gas line and install a propane tank and use gas, much more efficent in the long run, but might be too much too, but heating your house would be cheaper with gas....

Screemy1
11-14-2007, 07:32 PM
oh, just noticed your in havasu.... heating the house is not all that important.... okay, cooking with gas is better then electric.... just thought I would help out Hank and push the propane....... he he he:rolleyes:

ahhell
11-14-2007, 07:37 PM
:D Have you ever thought about losing weight?? :idea:
LMAO...had the same visual...Fuk dude 3 showers at once:D

MAINEVENT
11-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I installed a few of them and they are great... easy to install, NO big huge tank, and constant hot water...

hoolign
11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
:D
LMAO...had the same visual...Fuk dude 3 showers at once:D
All we need is for 460 to chime in with is " Foo..... don need no hot wa er ..jus need to use a da lef oba sooo... i perfer da chicken soo ...dats my time a showa..yepsiree...chiken sooo and a lufa" get dim fukkin nnooals out my nappy assed hea..an I'm ok! " :D

48hr club
11-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Check with the Gas/Edison company, They are offering rebate discounts on some models

redneckcharlie
11-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I've been selling Rinnai for years. By far the best units I've used. Use to use Bosch, but had several issues. There not a bad unit, just a little finicky. The six gallon a minute units, use about a 135000btu. The gas flow is critical, no 1/2 lines, 3/4 minimum, but actually needs to be measured in colum inches to find out the actual flow. The electric units use a TON of juice. Thats ok if your home is set up with a good panel. Usually needs to be a 200 amp service to not cause issues with the rest of the home on full tilt. Depending on the unit size you could be looking at a minimum of a 50amp circuit(220). You will most likely not be happy with any unit that produces less than 5 gallons a minute. The Rinnai's will go to 140(same as most brands), but most the customers I have keep them set between 125 and 130. There is absolutely no comparison between a conventional heater and a tankless unit. The recirculation line can be a downside, but most new construction that I do, the home is set up to have the units real close to the source.

sawtooth
11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
If you or your plumber install one make sure that you have a shutoff (ball valve) and a flush valve on the inlet and the exit so that you can flush the coil, they scale up pretty quick if you have bad water (Havasu). You can flush them with white viniger, just like cleaning your automatic coffee maker or wipig down the boat :D For what they cost it is good to maintaine them.

redneckcharlie
11-14-2007, 09:33 PM
If you or your plumber install one make sure that you have a shutoff (ball valve) and a flush valve on the inlet and the exit so that you can flush the coil, they scale up pretty quick if you have bad water (Havasu). You can flush them with white viniger, just like cleaning your automatic coffee maker or wipig down the boat :D For what they cost it is good to maintaine them.
Good advice. You can also use this to hook a garden hose to end de-ice the driveway. I installed a large unit in a buddies house last year. Went over to bs with him, and it had just snowed a foot here. Opened the back door to his house, and found him with a garden hose hooked to the flush valve, and hosing down all the snow in the backyard. He had already cleared the driveway with this idea. LMFAO!

YeLLowBoaT
11-14-2007, 10:02 PM
in most houses you will have to up the size of your gas line, which can be quick and easy or very expensive. They are great for smaller family, but don't expect to save money if you use hot water none stop( for example if you have 3 teenagers it will cost you more money vs a modern high effenicy water heater) I've seen alot of custom homes that are installing several smaller instant water heaters and 1 large tank. the idea behind it is the tank keeps it warm and the instant ( which are right next to the water outlet) get it hot. Suppose to be that way... then again it might just be the builder trying to jack more money out of them. I'm going to be building a house in the next couple years and I'm going to go with a hybrid system of tank, solar and instant.( the power company where I'm going will pay half of the cost if I do that in new construction... so it comes out to like 2.5k)

plaster dave
11-15-2007, 09:15 AM
My parents have one works great for 80% of the house I think they need a 2nd one do to the size of the house and distance from the unit to last bathroom and washing machine.

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Tankless water heaters have come along way. Depending on the size of the house and the run of the water lines will make a big differance in it's performance. Just make sure you have a big enough water heater to accommodate the size of the family and water usage. also over size the gas line for more efficiency. we use Noritz

Strippoker
11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
this is the cool trick to do with the old one when you take it out.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q

Havasu1986
11-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Bump for the guy from New York. :D

DansBlown73Nordic
11-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks I was just searching