PDA

View Full Version : HELP Another IPOD ??????

shadow
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I bought a new 80 gig Ipod and when i plug it into my boat head unit i cannot control it throgh the head unit. The Ipod seems to work fine with head phones only. (loose head unit control before i plug it in i have to go to a playlist and start the song)
I have a Ipod Nano that works fine with the head unit i have all functions
as it should be.
I know i could use the Nano but the reason i bought the 80 Gig was for the boat.
Alpine head unit

shadow
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Did you try resetting the ipod?
I will now, is that where i push the center and bottom button at the same time untill it restarts?

shadow
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
I believe it's center and top until you see the apple in the screen. Other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas. I've never even seen an 80g Ipod, so my experience installing them is limited.
I'll try that,the 80gig new generation looks just like the 30Gig & 80 gig.

Jyruiz
11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
That new gen iPod my not be compatible with your head unit, hope I am wrong tho.

shadow
11-14-2007, 05:53 PM
That new gen iPod my not be compatible with your head unit, hope I am wrong tho.
Thats what i was afraid of
This is BS if it's true cause that is the main reason i bought the fricken 80Gig
and the head unit is fairly new as well.

shadow
11-14-2007, 06:00 PM
what head unit? It's been reported that all new Apple units are compatible with all Alpine high speed bus units.
Model #9885
I tried resetting the Ipod and no luck.

shadow
11-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Does that unit have the high speed ipod cable with the blue end that plugs into the head unit?
I'll go look right now.

shadow
11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Does that unit have the high speed ipod cable with the blue end that plugs into the head unit?
Yes the connection looks like a fuse holder.

shadow
11-14-2007, 06:34 PM
It really should work. That's the newest connection, full speed access.
Thanks for the ideas of things to check.
I guess i'll contact Apple tomorrow and see if theres something with the new generation Ipods.

Tom Brown
11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
The new model you're talking about is the iPod Classic. It doesn't look quite the same as the 5.5 gen 30/80 GB iPods. Also, it's breaks compatibility with quite a few interfaces.
Alpine might releasse an update for your head unit, though.
Quite a few people on iLounge are ditching their classics and getting the iPod Video for compatibility reasons. Long term, I assume everything will move the the new, modified Classic interface... for a while and then move onto something else that breaks everything again. :D

sigepmock
11-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Darrell I just had the same problem with a new 80G iPod. Go to itunes and download the latest software upgrade for the iPod. I did that and could get audio out of the new iPod but still no video. Latest generation of Ipods...like the Ipod Classic 80G that we both have...has new software that made them incompatable with older iPod controllers in head units, docking stations etc..... Apple pretty much screwed everyone. I am hoping to get an update for my Kenwood headunit that will allow me to play video directly through the head unit....last week Kenwood still wasn't sure if it would be a software update or a new cable.....:mad:
Damn Apple:mad: :mad:

BoatFloating
11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Darrell I just had the same problem with a new 80G iPod. Go to itunes and download the latest software upgrade for the iPod. I did that and could get audio out of the new iPod but still no video. Latest generation of Ipods...like the Ipod Classic 80G that we both have...has new software that made them incompatable with older iPod controllers in head units, docking stations etc..... Apple pretty much screwed everyone. I am hoping to get an update for my Kenwood headunit that will allow me to play video directly through the head unit....last week Kenwood still wasn't sure if it would be a software update or a new cable.....:mad:
Are you saying that the latest software upgrade will make his Ipod work? If true, that's good to know, I almost recommended that, but it seemed like a waste of time.
Yep go to Itunes and get updated Ipod software. I have the 80g and it worked fine on my Sony head unit. But it needed the most recent update too.

MAINEVENT
11-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Yep go to Itunes and get updated Ipod software. I have the 80g and it worked fine on my Sony head unit. But it needed the most recent update too.
I need to hook up to your computer with my ipod... :D

BoatFloating
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I need to hook up to your computer with my ipod... :D
Word!!!
When in doubt, update your software. :D
Yep if you read the Alpine High Speed cable it tells you what Version Ipod software you have to have....
iPod Compatibility: This adapter cable can be used to interface a compatible receiver to any iPod with a dock connector. The cable gives you full control and full sound at full speed. You can quickly and easily search through all of the music contained on your iPod through Playlist, Artist, Album or Song searches. You can view Artist, Album, Song Information and Song Number right on the head unit's display. The cable will also power the iPod and charge the battery. The adapter can be used with virtually any dock connector-equipped iPod, including the following versions:
Fourth generation iPod: Ver.3.1.1
Fifth generation iPod: Ver.1.1.2
iPod photo: Ver.1.2.1
iPod mini: Ver.1.4.1
iPod nano: Ver.1.2
iPhone: Ver. 1.0.1
Note: The cable cannot be used with iPod software versions earlier than "2006-06-28". For details about "iPod Software Update", refer to the iPod's Instruction Manual.
Alpine Head Unit Compatibility: The KCE-422i is compatible with select 2006-up Alpine head units. These head units have a dedicated iPod Full Speed connector. The cable does not connect to the Ai-NET interface on some Alpine receivers. Once the adapter is connected, the iPod appears on the head unit's display as a selectable source. Current compatible head units include: CDA-9883, CDA-9885, CDA-9887, CDE-9870, CDE-9873, CDE-9881, DVA-9861, IVA-D105, IDA-X001, and the IVA-W205.

BoatFloating
11-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Look at you, all reading the owner's manual and shit. :D
I know dumb huh???

shadow
11-15-2007, 06:15 AM
So if i am understanding this correctly i go to my Itunes and download the latest update and then sync my Ipod and it should work??

Havasu1986
11-15-2007, 06:41 AM
So if i am understanding this correctly i go to my Itunes and download the latest update and then sync my Ipod and it should work??
Sheeeezzz. Just let Teresa do it for you. :eek: :D

BoatFloating
11-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Open itunes plug ipod in and go to your the ipod section (what ever name you gave your ipod luver boy 2000 :)) on itunes. There will be a a tab that says check for latest Ipod software. Click on that and it will get you the latest version. Also make sure you you have the latest version of itunes. It's at 7.5 now.

shadow
11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Thank Chris that worked now i can operate it through the Head unit.:)
Open itunes plug ipod in and go to your the ipod section (what ever name you gave your ipod luver boy 2000 :)) on itunes. There will be a a tab that says check for latest Ipod software. Click on that and it will get you the latest version. Also make sure you you have the latest version of itunes. It's at 7.5 now.
Thanks for the step by step,I am not as computer savy as you Big fella!;)
Thanks again! I was about to chuck my new Ipod down the street.

BoatFloating
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I figured you need a little help because you and patenice don't mix....:D

sigepmock
11-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Glad it worked....now if I can only get mine to work :D I think I still owe you a few though.