PDA

View Full Version : Robbery Suspect Charged With Murder After Alleged Accomplices Killed by Homeowner

Redding Rat
11-16-2007, 09:45 AM
This is interesting.....
LAKEPORT, Calif. — Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death — but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.
In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.
"It was pandemonium" inside the house that night, District Attorney Jon Hopkins said. Hughes was responsible for "setting the whole thing in motion by his actions and the actions of his accomplices."
Prosecutors said homeowner Shannon Edmonds opened fire Dec. 7 after three young men rampaged through the Clearlake house demanding marijuana and brutally beat his stepson. Rashad Williams, 21, and Christian Foster, 22, were shot in the back. Hughes fled.
Hughes was charged with first-degree murder under California's Provocative Act doctrine, versions of which have been on the books in many states for generations but are rarely used.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311894,00.html

centerhill condor
11-16-2007, 09:49 AM
that's racism? they chose a white man's house, right?
cool legal doctrine...btw. We might try him under "felony murder"...or criminal homicide. Where the malice of the felony becomes the forethought of the murder...thanks paul drake!
CC

Shreve"T"
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Good for them... He should be held responsible....IMO..:D :D :D :D

Phat Matt
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Consequences for bad guys. What a thought.

SB
11-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I have never liked felony murder. Bad policy.

ratso
11-16-2007, 09:52 AM
I don't give a damn what race any of them were... string the bastard up.:mad:

Tremor Therapy
11-16-2007, 09:56 AM
I am with you Ratso. If the report just said 3 young men broke into the home, would anybody give a sh*t? Hell no, they would say good, let the no good theiving pile of sh*t swing for the crimes!
But because 3 black men broke into a white man's home, now it it racism. I can't f*cking stand it when minorities pull the race card to try and take away from the real issue at hand! :mad:

CornWater
11-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Racism my ass.. Had a guy I went to highschool with, a real pussy, rob a drive-in theatre with his brother. The worker pulled out a shot gun, killed one of them and wounded the other brother. The surviving brother was charged and convicted of his deceased brother, even though he didn't pull the trigger. Plain and simple, the occurence of events solely lied with the brothers who decided to commit the crime.

Redding Rat
11-16-2007, 10:29 AM
It will be interesting to see if Jackson and Sharpton get involved

rodnjen
11-16-2007, 11:58 AM
The "Act" is actually used more than one might think. It is just getting a bad rap because it involved two different "races" rather than just an illegal act.

Shreve"T"
11-16-2007, 12:24 PM
They will......You can BET on that...They have this Jena isssue so SCREWED up here in Louisiana it just isn't funny....:D :D :D :D

RitcheyRch
11-16-2007, 12:32 PM
They always do since will give them more media attention.

Baja Big Dog
11-16-2007, 03:47 PM
This total bullshit..the homeowner is the one that should be strung up...:confused:
There has to a law saying that if you only kill two out of three, you should be prosecuted!!!:D
His sentence will be served at the local gun range, where he will have to practice all day until he gets it right!!;)

WaterJunky
11-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Rule of thumb: If you are involved in gunplay in defense of your home/life/family, you only want one story told. YOURS!
This means don't miss.
This makes the cops job simple.
Race in this rule is irrelivant.
It also significantly decreases the lawsuits.