PDA

View Full Version : live in CA and think you own your boat.

HCS
11-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Think again, the State of California owns it, just like everything else with a pink slip.
I mailed in the property tax bill for my boat and the State received it late, so the State of California issued an vessel of impoundment notice and DMV would not release my tags until the state released my boat.
So I had to call the County Tax Collector to get the notice removed so I could get my tags.
Proving to me that I don't actually own my boat the State of California does. :rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
11-16-2007, 01:30 PM
That sucks and always wondered what would happen if didnt pay that stupid bill.

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 01:34 PM
i think its worth the 6-7 dollars to sent that stuff certified mail because if it gets lost or something you would have proof.because they sure dont care if its late beacause the post office lost it.they so whatever they want.

centerhill condor
11-16-2007, 01:42 PM
render unto caesar..
the power of the state is awesome and frequently out of control...
CC

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
render unto caesar..
the power of the state is awesome and frequently out of control...
CC
no constantly!!

IMPATIENT 1
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Think again, the State of California owns it, just like everything else with a pink slip.
I mailed in the property tax bill for my boat and the State received it late, so the State of California issued an vessel of impoundment notice and DMV would not release my tags until the state released my boat.
So I had to call the County Tax Collector to get the notice removed so I could get my tags.
Proving to me that I don't actually own my boat the State of California does. :rolleyes:
you guys have to pay property taxes on a boat? is this a 60k+ boat or am i missing something. we pay purchase taxes here in okla. and that's it other than yrly tags(i buy 3yr tags for 89bucks:D )

HM
11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
you guys have to pay property taxes on a boat? is this a 60k+ boat or am i missing something. we pay purchase taxes here in okla. and that's it other than yrly tags(i buy 3yr tags for 89bucks:D )
California is one of a few states that has a personal property tax. They can tax anything they deem of value.

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
some call it a "luxury tax"

thatguy
11-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah, when DO they start dinging you?
I never get a bill for boats or RVs. My boats are really cheap though.
RV was under 25K. What is the magic number?
Tommy

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 01:50 PM
i havnt had to pay on my 79 nordic but i had a 2004 wakeboard boat and it was 1.5 percent of what i paid for it and declined as it dropped in value

ol guy
11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Welcome to California, the land of tax the taxes and then some, that would be why my boats get a Arizona registration. If it weren't for family I would be out of CA. so fast it would set a new speed record.

Her454
11-16-2007, 01:52 PM
some call it a "luxury tax"
That's what it's referred to as here. It's different per county and per value of the boat.
When I moved back from Sac to where I am now they kept taxing me on the previous county and it took me 2 years to correct it. They "misapplied" my payment and it was up to me to straighten it out. In the meantime, they put a lien on the boat and DMV would not issue my registration.
Then it happened again 2 years later.................
I now have a "State Luxury Tax" file where I keep EVERYTHING. :mad:

C-2
11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
California is one of a few states that has a personal property tax. They can tax anything they deem of value.
Is that why you got rid of the mole?

McIntyrelocal
11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
yeah the guy i bought my tunnel from had the same problem i couldnt register the boat for a year luckily thats about how long it took me to redo it.

IMPATIENT 1
11-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Welcome to California, the land of tax the taxes and then some, that would be why my boats get a Arizona registration. If it weren't for family I would be out of CA. so fast it would set a new speed record.
we need a few more boaters in okla:D i promise you won't see any illegals ;) :D taxes and insurance are cheap here too. i moved back in 1999 and my taxes dropped in half along with my insurance compared to living in texas.

BrianB
11-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Has got to be the worst.
We had a situation go on for over a year.You think it's resolved and they send you the same bill over and over.
The DMVis just as bad.I recieved a past due notice on a trailer that had been sold.Returned the form with the buyers info.Years go by and my employer tells me my paycheck will be garnished by the state.I'm thinking illegitimate child on welfare.No Sir,the ownership was never transfered and the state is not able to verify the buyers information.
Fd again.

Focker
11-16-2007, 02:42 PM
its called for a lack of better terms
FOCKEN DEMOCRATS

Troy McClure
11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Has got to be the worst.
No Shit. I sent my boat tax bill in a few months ago, >$900. Found out our esteemed tax collector, Chriss Street, just remodeled his office, new furniture, several 60" plasma screen tv's , designer furniture etc.
Apparently I bought ONE chair in his new conference room. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

WestTNRiverRat
11-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow...thats nuts. We pay sales tax at time of purchase and I think my registration is $80 bucks for 3 years. That's based on the length of the boat not the value. Same for motor vehicles. Sales tax at purchase then annual tag renewal. Tags for my 2006 F250 and 2006 Cadillac DTS is 28 bucks a year for each.

cdog
11-16-2007, 03:12 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170315

Her454
11-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Someone close to me(not mentioning names) has never gotten a taxbill for his watercrafts in all the years hes owned them.
Rio
Bastard. :D

OCMerrill
11-16-2007, 04:38 PM
i think its worth the 6-7 dollars to sent that stuff certified mail because if it gets lost or something you would have proof.because they sure dont care if its late beacause the post office lost it.they so whatever they want.
I could not agree more.
Add the State Franchise Tax Board and the IRS to that list also. Everything I send these morons has paper trail.

mike37
11-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I pay my tax online and get a transaction number no problems unless you dont have the money in the bank to cover the bill

QuickJet
11-16-2007, 04:43 PM
And to think some focking morons want this same entity to run our health care....:eek:

Troy McClure
11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey OCMerrill..
Finish that Clayton install Yet?

hotlavey
11-16-2007, 05:44 PM
And to think some focking morons want this same entity to run our health care....:eek:
The same one's who will vote Democrat in '08. Scares the crap out of me.

coolchange
11-16-2007, 06:59 PM
My Dad built an airplane. It got assed for taxes in a county it didnt stay in. They said it was worth $X. He said I built it and here is the reciepts. They said too bad this is what WE SAY ITS WORTH. He said fu(k you and cut it up with a chain saw and threw it away.

shueman
11-16-2007, 07:34 PM
This personal prop tax is a bunch of bs and it's so poorly administered it's not funny.
I've been dinged for it ever since I first bought a boat. Then when I bought heavy construction I didn't know it was also due. 4 years later they hit me all at once for all equipment, every year, and penalties and interest. Fu(kum. That was OC.
OC also tried to zap a lien on an airplane years ago and the tax was already paid. It took months to get that off my credit report.
I moved to Riv County and still got tax bills from both counties.
Someone close to me(not mentioning names) has never gotten a taxbill for his watercrafts in all the years hes owned them.
Rio
Exactly...:mad: They suspended my Drivers License once, for not paying taxes on a boat that I had sold two years prior...:jawdrop:
Focken Morons...

HCS
11-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Exactly...:mad: They suspended my Drivers License once, for not paying taxes on a boat that I had sold two years prior...:jawdrop:
Focken Morons...
I was wandering...what happens if you don't pay the tax bill and you sell your boat???
That's what they do is suspend your licence????

Phat Matt
11-17-2007, 01:06 PM
That's what it's referred to as here. It's different per county and per value of the boat.
When I moved back from Sac to where I am now they kept taxing me on the previous county and it took me 2 years to correct it. They "misapplied" my payment and it was up to me to straighten it out. In the meantime, they put a lien on the boat and DMV would not issue my registration.
Then it happened again 2 years later.................
I now have a "State Luxury Tax" file where I keep EVERYTHING. :mad:
I had a tax lien from 2004 and 2006 because of my boat. In 2004 I paid the tax twice! I ended up with a refund but the lien was still on my credit as paid and released. In 06 when they screwed up again I went in and talk to them face to face because I couldn't get anywhere over the phone. I had them both stamped and released in error. I was told it would correct itself on my credit. WRONG! I just checked my report last week and the one from 2004 states I paid it and it was released (not their error) and the one in 2006 still shows it as a lien, not released or paid! I just found the paper work showing their error and will be faxing it to the credit agencies on Monday. What a pain in the ass. It's bad enough they fock you on the tax every year, but to fock up your credit on their mistakes just pisses me off. Fock. Now I'm pissed again. :mad:

Phat Matt
11-17-2007, 01:10 PM
I was wandering...what happens if you don't pay the tax bill and you sell your boat???
That's what they do is suspend your licence????
You can't sell the boat with a tax lien on it.

HCS
11-17-2007, 02:47 PM
You can't sell the boat with a tax lien on it.
If someone were to sell their boat and say they just signed off on the pink and the buyer finds out later when he goes to DMV that the state has an impound lein on the boat.
The buyer would be pissed.
Something to think about, if you ever buy a used boat make sure the County property tax is up to date. Or make the owner go to DMV with you right when you buy the boat and sign over the pink slip..

Her454
11-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I had a tax lien from 2004 and 2006 because of my boat. In 2004 I paid the tax twice! I ended up with a refund but the lien was still on my credit as paid and released. In 06 when they screwed up again I went in and talk to them face to face because I couldn't get anywhere over the phone. I had them both stamped and released in error. I was told it would correct itself on my credit. WRONG! I just checked my report last week and the one from 2004 states I paid it and it was released (not their error) and the one in 2006 still shows it as a lien, not released or paid! I just found the paper work showing their error and will be faxing it to the credit agencies on Monday. What a pain in the ass. It's bad enough they fock you on the tax every year, but to fock up your credit on their mistakes just pisses me off. Fock. Now I'm pissed again. :mad:
Ditto here on the credit deal and it took me forever to clear that up as well. Really pisses you off when you can't get that straight and it messes with your credit. ESPECIALLY when you get no where on the phone and have to take time out of your day to go deal with it in person..............:mad:

HCS
11-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Great.....:messedup:

Phat Matt
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Ditto here on the credit deal and it took me forever to clear that up as well. Really pisses you off when you can't get that straight and it messes with your credit. ESPECIALLY when you get no where on the phone and have to take time out of your day to go deal with it in person..............:mad:
Well, I just got confirmation that one was removed from my credit report. That is a step in the right direction. The problem I have now is because I disputed the other one before they won't let me dispute it again online. I will have to call them tomorrow.

IDRPSTF
11-19-2007, 05:53 PM
How aboutthe fact that I have a home in CA, but a boat brokerage and dealership in AZ. My boat is USCG Documented (Home Port in Maryland) and Hailing port in Lake Havasu City AZ.
California puts a lien on my boat and threatons to garnish my wifes wages unless we pay $800.00 property taxes. Now the boat is sitting in my garage in Arizona, I claim to all who see her that her port of use is Lake Havasu City, Arizona. As a documented vessel I agree to share custidy with the United States Coast Guard and we agree her home port is legally in Maryland and the boat gets used in multiple states but well over 50% in Arizona. How again does California deserve $800.00 in property taxes?
I call in and the guy tells me "Pay us the $800.00 and then you can dispute it. If we decide the boat is not in CA you will get your money back". I asked if I could go ahead and pay him my property taxes for the Arizona and Nevada houses as well.
After 8 months of fighting they agreed that the tax was not due. Kim just got another bill for this years taxes. I love it! These collectors have little to no clue what they are actually collecting on and logic goes right out the window.