PDA

View Full Version : Merc engines vs Custom !

Swoop
11-17-2007, 12:33 PM
525 EFI, 600SCI, 700SCI ++
vs
Teague 800, TPI 900, Paul Pfaff ++++
I know a lot of you have the big customs so I wanted to know how you feel about reliability, turnkey and ready to go most of the time or require a ton more upkeep & maint. No smartcraft technology that I know of to detect issues upfront? Do you really need to know everything about these engines to own one? Also engine life, I know the mercs I listed above get a good 500,600+ hours without any major issues from what i've read- how about these custom engines?
This should be good!

bigq
11-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Better hurry since you only have to January 2009 for custom builder.:rolleyes:

Swoop
11-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I probally should know but why?....

ChumpChange
11-17-2007, 02:47 PM
I probally should know but why?....
Emission regulations will go into effect. :mad:

new2cats
11-17-2007, 03:42 PM
If you are looking for opinions.......go Merc. for reliability and ease of warranty (almost every lake has a Merc. cert. guy)......525 runs on 87 octane, big plus for economy and availibilty too.
If it is a twin, 525s will get you over 100+ in most boats.
What hull????
I have had many merc. motors and customs (Teague) and all my mercs. ran flawless with no issues EVER!!!! Plus XR drives will stay alive behind 525s almost indefinitely (unless you throw down the sticks like a maniac!!).
JMO...

Catfever
11-17-2007, 03:53 PM
525 EFI, 600SCI, 700SCI ++
vs
Teague 800, TPI 900, Paul Pfaff ++++
I know a lot of you have the big customs so I wanted to know how you feel about reliability, turnkey and ready to go most of the time or require a ton more upkeep & maint. No smartcraft technology that I know of to detect issues upfront? Do you really need to know everything about these engines to own one? Also engine life, I know the mercs I listed above get a good 500,600+ hours without any major issues from what i've read- how about these custom engines?
This should be good!
:) I have had both and now I have Teague hand built motor by his brother. Mario over seeing the project , I don't think he works there now , but he was the best when he work there !!!!!! Good luck and do your home work.;)

uLtRADeNniS
11-17-2007, 04:12 PM
It depends on a few things...
Your Budget - You can have a more powerful custom motor that runs on pump gas built for way less than a Merc motor.
Where you boat - If you boat in remote places like mead and Powell a Merc might be better. Because if you break down there..your more likely to find a merc dealer rather than a good mechanic that you can trust to touch your custom motor. If you boat in Havasu or Parker..You will likely find a shop open on a weekend that can fix your problem.
How you drive- If your not mechanically inclined and/ or like to run your boat like shit (wide open all day) than go with a merc motor.
Custom engines CAN be very reliable..Its all about how you treat them and first off who builds it.

BrendellaJet
11-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Id go with a custom built. Mine runs hard all day long, fires up on the first bump every time, and makes more power than the merc motors all for less money, plus, I dont need a tech to work on it for me if something were to happen.

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
11-17-2007, 04:32 PM
If you are looking for opinions.......go Merc. for reliability and ease of warranty (almost every lake has a Merc. cert. guy)......525 runs on 87 octane, big plus for economy and availibilty too.
If it is a twin, 525s will get you over 100+ in most boats.
What hull????
I have had many merc. motors and customs (Teague) and all my mercs. ran flawless with no issues EVER!!!! Plus XR drives will stay alive behind 525s almost indefinitely (unless you throw down the sticks like a maniac!!).
JMO...
I don't care what Merc. says I would never run 87 octane in a 525. Warranty is for one year.
I have had two Teague blown motors that ran perfect.Take good care of them and they are great.Oil every 25 hrs,replace oil filters every 12.5 hrs.Change drive oil every 25 hrs.Run good fuel.Change pump impeller every year regardless of hrs.Tune ignition every year.Drain water in exhaust and block every time it gets wet including the garden hose.
The more you show it the love the more it will show it back.

Swoop
11-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I just got a new boat & it has a merc in it, i'm MORE then happy with it. I just wanted to get your opinions & learn a bit! If I ever want to go faster in years to come theres a good chance I will keep my new boat for a while so more power would always be in the back of my mind as well.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I just got a new boat & it has a merc in it, i'm MORE then happy with it. I just wanted to get your opinions & learn a bit! If I ever want to go faster in years to come theres a good chance I will keep my new boat for a while so more power would always be in the back of my mind as well.
If you have a 525, and want to go faster in years to come, a Whipple on a 525 makes reliable power. IMO.

Swoop
11-17-2007, 05:09 PM
600sci......

Moneypitt
11-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Something about this thread was funny to me from the begining.....And it ended the same way. Someday I'm gonna want a used 747, any ideas on which airline takes better care of their planes?..........

beyondhelpin
11-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Something about this thread was funny to me from the begining.....And it ended the same way. Someday I'm gonna want a used 747, any ideas on which airline takes better care of their planes?..........
American Airlines has some of the best maintaince programs around. But we dont fly 747s. Dont know where to tell you to go if your hung up on 747s only.
:D :D :D

acatitude
11-18-2007, 08:48 AM
2 years(Aug 05)on my 1000hp Peto motor, still has same plugs in it. Starts and runs perfect every day.

bigq
11-18-2007, 08:58 AM
600sci......
You already paid for the 600? Dude! haha :)
I would have looked before throwing down that kind of bread.
Since it is a boat you already have you can put whatever you want in it from my understaning and the emission laws won't effect you.

Moneypitt
11-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Since it is a boat you already have you can put whatever you want in it from my understaning and the emission laws won't effect you.
This statement is correct, however algore isn't finished yet............MP

new2cats
11-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Usually resale value is more solid with Merc. motors....likely the same value is retained at resale as the savings to start with on a no-name custom motor.....I have personally found this to be true!!!

Swoop
11-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Tough choice, I don't hear any real negatives about the customs. The smartcraft sure is cool though but not everyone needs that stuff.

Not Allways A Deck
11-18-2007, 07:26 PM
ALL I CAN SAY IS BRUMMET OR BUM IT!!!!