PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information/comments on a box trailer

wsuwrhr
11-17-2007, 05:38 PM
24-30 foot long, and 30 foot may be pushing it. I just don't want to catch two-footer syndrome.
I will be hauling two or three Banshees and my Baja Bug or sandrail, may carry the boat in the summertime.
I already have a motorhome, so I don't need a bathroom or any serious frills really.
I was thinking an awning would be pretty cool and a fuel station would be super cool though.
Anyone know of any for sale, or comments on what I should be looking for?
What is the widest I could get? What else do I need to know?
Sports Trailers is a few miles south of me, I know of a few 20 year old Sports Trailers still going strong.
Brian

vee-driven
11-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Racer by carson, good price and good looking trailers, appear to be well built.

Outnumbered
11-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Racer by carson, good price and good looking trailers, appear to be well built.
Ditto this. I have been shopping trailers and Interstate, Pace, etc are junk. Haulmarks are a little better and they do make some higher end units. The Carson Racer was most impressive to me for the price. I am ordering one next week. Boyd at the Tucson factory store has been a big help.

BoatPI
11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
If you want quality look at Pace American.

Outnumbered
11-18-2007, 10:14 PM
If you want quality look at Pace American.
You are joking right?:idea:
The PA's I have been looking at in the 12-14' range are junk. The hardware is even stamped "Made in China". The Carsons are better built but also cost about $1,500 more.

DetroitJim
11-19-2007, 05:26 AM
24-30 foot long, and 30 foot may be pushing it. I just don't want to catch two-footer syndrome.
I will be hauling two or three Banshees and my Baja Bug or sandrail, may carry the boat in the summertime.
I already have a motorhome, so I don't need a bathroom or any serious frills really.
I was thinking an awning would be pretty cool and a fuel station would be super cool though.
Anyone know of any for sale, or comments on what I should be looking for?
What is the widest I could get? What else do I need to know?
Brian
Don't go too small! 3 banshees and a sand rail, plus gas, tools, misc stuff, you will want at least a 26 footer. I have a hydro in a 28 foot, wish I had more room. Try to get one with a spare tire well, it frees up a lot of space and gives you a place to stash small stuff. 110 power and lights are almost a requirement, then you can work inside the trailer and see what you are doing day or night plus run a radio & other stuff.
DJ

BoatPI
11-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Alot of the hardware like holdowns are made in China I would imagine. But look at a 5 year old Carson, with the trim falling off, floors starting to seperate due to poor coating, door hindges seperating. Just as one example most Pace's use s stainless steel piano hinge on their side doors. Many trailer mfg's have several models all related to content and price. Many use axles that are way undersized too.
My Pace is a Silver Arrow, more of a top end car trailer, but the Shadow is the steel frame version. Also their ability to custom select from perhaps as many as 30 options allow a purchaser to get what they want including diamond plated floor with NO plywood, or 3/4" plywood topped with seamless coin rubber flooring like mine. Also generator cabinets allow immediate hook up to a portable generator and nice storage safely away.
http://www.paceamerican.com/

wsuwrhr
11-21-2007, 10:07 PM
How serious would a trailer have to be to stack two boats and take them to the river? How cool would that be?
I don't think it will have to be over the height of the motorhome.
The trailers are only 22 foot long.
Brian

OCMerrill
11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Might want to check out what mighty mover can make you a deal on.
Pace = Quality is just ok
Carson = Quality is a little better I think but dealer network is crap
Haulmark = Spendy but quality is only slightly detter
I just went through all this and am still on the fence of what to get. I wonder how these things are going to be after 10 years. I never sell anything.

wsuwrhr
11-22-2007, 11:04 AM
I saw a 27 foot Sports Trailer with three quads in the front and a SU rail inside. Had two feet still left at the rear. So I am thinking Detroit Jim that I do
need to be closer to the 28-30 mark to keep from catching two footer syndrome.
This trailer was built in the mid 80's that had been re-skinned with smooth siding a couple years ago. Nice linolieum still on the floor though, haha.
Brian

whiteworks
11-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Santek, Sport, Featherlite.

wsuwrhr
12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
How serious would a trailer have to be to stack two boats and take them to the river? How cool would that be?
I don't think it will have to be over the height of the motorhome.
The boat trailers are only 22 foot long.
Brian
Nobody wants to touch this one?

wsuwrhr
12-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I am looking at a late model 28 foot Sports trailer.
Seems like a nice peice.
Brian

SOCALDETAIL1
12-06-2007, 10:24 PM
I have a Carson open trailer, I like it. H&H makes a great trailer, just takes a while for them to make. But worth the wait.
http://www.hhtrailer.com/05SpeedLoaderMX.asp